You’re The One 2016-03-07

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
TheCollector

Re: You’re The One 2016-03-07

Post by TheCollector »

[quote="KnightDelight"][/quote]
Did you really have to add the lesbian part to that? Especially the insult to injury bit.

Cause I'm not sure in which way you meant it to come out, but the way it does is like the people who find being gay disgusting and a sin.

And I can't really remember any of your old posts, but I'm hoping you didn't mean for it to sound that way.

Oh, and she's bisexual, don't be like the faking it writers and pretend that doesn't exist.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

"The faking it writers"?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Howard wrote:"... Wait a minute here... AH never tied down my Pumpkins when Ah wuz a boy... 'sides, them Pumpkins needs tyin' up, not down... HEY BOY! Whut Ah say whut are you doing tyin' down them (SMOOSH!!!!)..... ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer... and a beakful of cleavage... is that a box o' cookies?"
It's so good to be working with people who know the classics! :lol:
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

GlytchMeister wrote:"The faking it writers"?
I've been called many things before, but I have to admit that is a first...
I've a matched brace of 1740 Queen Annes in an oak case- .50 caliber, flint, smoothbore, no sights as per the code... and am familiar with the code... Glytch, should you need me to second or Dean, I am qualified either way- of course, should the fireing be poor in your event, I might ask you to second for me- are we agree'd?
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Thor

Post by Thor »

I think that both of them are mistaking narcissism for sociopathy.

Also Monica might say that she doesn't think about other people's feelings "ever", but there is plenty of canonical evidence to contradict this.

Monica obviously has mental health problems because of OMG trauma at the very least, but self-diagnoses are usually not the best diagnoses.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Deleting my comment because it was a misunderstanding...thankfully.
Last edited by Just Old Al on Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Thor wrote:I think that both of them are mistaking narcissism for sociopathy.

Also Monica might say that she doesn't think about other people's feelings "ever", but there is plenty of canonical evidence to contradict this.

Monica obviously has mental health problems because of OMG trauma at the very least, but self-diagnoses are usually not the best diagnoses.
ESPECIALLY in the field of mental health- and yes, her concern for others has been prominantly displayed on several occasions
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

DilyV wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:Winnah! By a nose.

And a couple of honkers.
I'm sure there are a couple of AaahhhOOOOOOOOOgahs in there too... maybe some air horns... is that a Dixie horn?
They could make worse noises...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

Faking it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3127020/

It's a tv show over on MTV. The main character Amy Raudenfeld discovers at the start of the show she's attracted to other girls, and realizes she's a lesbian, but later on despite this she is still attracted to guys, though not as much, and it's this whole big stupid thing of how can I if I'm gay.

Like I said, the writers don't seem to know that being bisexual is a thing that exists.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

TheCollector wrote:
Faking it.

It's a tv show over on MTV. The main character Amy Raudenfeld discovers at the start of the show she's attracted to other girls, and realizes she's a lesbian, but later on despite this she is still attracted to guys, though not as much, and it's this whole big stupid thing of how can I if I'm gay.

Like I said, the writers don't seem to know that being bisexual is a thing that exists.
Thank you for clarifying that... that could have gotten ugly...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
TheCollector wrote:
Faking it.

Thank you for clarifying that... that could have gotten ugly...
Yeah, I'm really sorry about all that, I forgot how obscure the show was when I made the post. I probably should of capitalized the words or said it was a show in the post or something.

I'm just glad I was able to fix things before anything happened.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

That's why I asked. I figured I'd missed a reference... I do it all the time. :)
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
eee

Post by eee »

KnightDelight wrote:Get ready Jet. If she did it to Kevin, she'll do it to you as well. As soon as the next shiny thing comes along, you're history. Oh, she'll obsess about it, but the result is still the same for you. She will also outlive you by, well, forever. Think she will just sit by your side as you age and are unable to satisfy her needs? She has already shown that another's feelings won't stop her form doing what she wants. Monica will want to get out and do things. The old-young thing never works out.

That Kevin really knows how to pick 'em. First a supernatural being with enormous powers who jilts him and becomes a lesbian (adding insult to injury). Now another supernatural being with enormous powers who is actually a clay being who can never give him children and will outlive him by thousands upon thousands of years. He will be hardly a blink of an eye to her. Unless, of course, she goes the way of Jin. Which doesn't seem likely since she has not been "active" nearly as long as Jin has, and she said she was far from ready to do that as she told to her room mate, Brandy, a while back. Then there is the fact she is "rebound girl". That often doesn't work out. Finally, there is the old-young thing with this relationship as well.
Bud may not be capable of producing children, NOW. But we don't know what Maya is up to. Her daughter Jin is now mortal and will die someday; while Maya, unless she can also reboot herself, is not and will not. it is entirely possible, with time ticking away, she may decide to enable Jin to give her grandchildren. Something she might be able to extend to Bud and Brandi. Heaven knows, we've seen her come up with stunning magical devices before. Hopefully she could do it again, without putting the world at risk...

And while there are clearly formidable difficulties in Bud and Kevin's relationship, that doesn't mean they're insurmountable. :D
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Better still- if you blow a rasberry in her cleavage, does it sound like a foghorn?
Nope.... MOTORBOATS. :lol:
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

KnightDelight wrote:Get ready Jet. If she did it to Kevin, she'll do it to you as well. As soon as the next shiny thing comes along, you're history. Oh, she'll obsess about it, but the result is still the same for you. She will also outlive you by, well, forever. Think she will just sit by your side as you age and are unable to satisfy her needs? She has already shown that another's feelings won't stop her form doing what she wants. Monica will want to get out and do things. The old-young thing never works out.

That Kevin really knows how to pick 'em. First a supernatural being with enormous powers who jilts him and becomes a lesbian (adding insult to injury). Now another supernatural being with enormous powers who is actually a clay being who can never give him children and will outlive him by thousands upon thousands of years. He will be hardly a blink of an eye to her. Unless, of course, she goes the way of Jin. Which doesn't seem likely since she has not been "active" nearly as long as Jin has, and she said she was far from ready to do that as she told to her room mate, Brandy, a while back. Then there is the fact she is "rebound girl". That often doesn't work out. Finally, there is the old-young thing with this relationship as well.
1) It's established fairly early on that Monica is bisexual
2) Bisexuals exist. The Kinsey scale is a thing for a reason (I score a 0 on the scale BTW).
3) Not everyone wants to have kids.
4) If they decide they want kids, adoption is an option.
5)Bud could decide if she wants to be mortal again and get the same glyph set in her that Jin did.
6) Yes, the whole Monica and Kevin break-up arc could have been done better and despite 'bi the way' being established before they started dating, the plot still feels a bit forced. Not as bad as how it was handled in Spinnerette, though.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Thor

Post by Thor »

Gyrrakavian wrote:1) It's established fairly early on that Monica is bisexual
Um, how early is "early"? Because the only indication that *I* recall that Monica might consider trying the other side of the fence was this strip, where the only hint that something was up between the two of them was the blush. You have anything earlier than August of 2014?
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Thor wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:1) It's established fairly early on that Monica is bisexual
Um, how early is "early"? Because the only indication that *I* recall that Monica might consider trying the other side of the fence was this strip, where the only hint that something was up between the two of them was the blush. You have anything earlier than August of 2014?
I could always be misremembering things.
I only started reading the webcomic sometime in either 2012 or 2013.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Amazing how much this sounds like Monica reassuring Bud that she's not evil, not a danger to the workd - hell, the galaxy - that the bad things she did were the result of outside forces over which she had no control.

Monica even seems to be channeling Bud in that last panel.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

TheCollector wrote: you really have to add the lesbian part to that? Especially the insult to injury bit.
Cause I'm not sure in which way you meant it to come out, but the way it does is like the people who find being gay disgusting and a sin.
And I can't really remember any of your old posts, but I'm hoping you didn't mean for it to sound that way.
Oh, and she's bisexual, don't be like the faking it writers and pretend that doesn't exist.
And political correctness rears it's ugly and self-censoring head. Even if I had meant it that way, so what? I also have a right to my opinion, even if it would not be politically correct. However, a little clarification. I meant he drove her into the arms of another woman. Bad enough to lose her to another man, but worse to be to another woman. In that he was so bad, he "turned" her lesbian. Of course, he didn't turn her anything, but that can still be the perception. It's like losing a wrestling match to a girl. For a boy it's doubly humiliating. So it is with Kevin. Politically correct thought not withstanding. Yes, she is bisexual, but right now she is in a lesbian relationship. If you didn't know her past history, what would you think? Bisexual or lesbian? Ok, being the PC person you are, you don't prejudge anyone, right? But most will think lesbian. and upon hearing about Kevin and the relationship Monica is currently in, will think "loser".
eee wrote: Bud may not be capable of producing children, NOW. But we don't know what Maya is up to. Her daughter Jin is now mortal and will die someday; while Maya, unless she can also reboot herself, is not and will not. it is entirely possible, with time ticking away, she may decide to enable Jin to give her grandchildren. Something she might be able to extend to Bud and Brandi. Heaven knows, we've seen her come up with stunning magical devices before. Hopefully she could do it again, without putting the world at risk...

And while there are clearly formidable difficulties in Bud and Kevin's relationship, that doesn't mean they're insurmountable. :D
Of course, anything is possible, especially in the Wapsiverse. However, I think having babies may be a bridge too far. It's easy enough to see how a bit of script engraved onto her body can give her a finite lifespan, but that it could could lead to the creation of a functioning womb is not so easy. I know she can fake it when it comes to a physical, but the organs people see or hear in her in her are just a illusion. None of them physically exist. Jin herself has said she is just a hollow clay shell.

And, yes, with adoption (especially kids from the supernatural world) the not being able to have babies becomes somewhat of a non-issue. Supernatural adoption would make for interesting future arcs. Both for Bud and Jin.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

KnightDelight wrote:And, yes, with adoption (especially kids from the supernatural world) the not being able to have babies becomes somewhat of a non-issue. Supernatural adoption would make for interesting future arcs. Both for Bud and Jin.
"Hey, Mom? Me and the Stinkweed are goin' over to Aunt Bud's - Aunt Jin's there, and we can hang out with Tlaloc and Achren, okay?"
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.