They Chase Me 2016-01-25

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
FreeFlier

Re: They Chase Me 2016-01-25

Post by FreeFlier »

The jaguar girl becoming clinically paranoid is . . . frightening.

Though she's a bit young for it . . . clinical paranoia usually sets in around middle age.

--FreeFlier
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

John turns to Glytch with a thoroughly disgusted look on his face. "Can you do something about that?"
Glytch smiles and pulls a particularly thin, heavily fletched arrow with a tip comprised of six very short hypodermic needles from his quiver, nocks it, pulls the bowstring to half-draw, and fires.

The arrow arcs gracefully through the air, slow and silent, carrying it's sleep-inducing payload.

His target, however, dodges the moment Glytch fires the arrow.

"Blast! Precognition..."
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

FreeFlier wrote:The jaguar girl becoming clinically paranoid is . . . frightening.

Though she's a bit young for it . . . clinical paranoia usually sets in around middle age.

--FreeFlier
Isn't she in her thirties? She might be hitting that mark...

Wait. I totally forget she resets... But does her mental condition reset too? Hmm... That's a conundrum...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

FreeFlier wrote:The jaguar girl becoming clinically paranoid is . . . frightening.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." (Joseph Heller, Catch-22)

We have no good reason to think that Nudge is the only trickster in the Wapsiverse.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Maybe it's because she's so sweet -- Nectar of the Goddess? Er, Titaness?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:Is M the butterfly whisperer?
They aren't actually butterflies. They're the nocturnal equivalent, who flock around Monica because to them she shines as bright as a goddess of the sun.

She's not just the Jaguar Girl. She's also Moth Ra.
hsss

==========================

all hail the sun god
for he is a fun god
ra! ra! ra!
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Cortanis

Post by Cortanis »

So is this where we finally find out that Monica has some kind of actual influence over nature and that she's been subconsciously doing it to herself? Monica.... just don't think SNOW..... :P
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Butterflies chase me in the park, Jin
Because they love you M.
Why do birds suddenly appear
Every time you are near?
Just like me, they long to be
Close to you.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Dave wrote:
They aren't actually butterflies. They're the nocturnal equivalent, who flock around Monica because to them she shines as bright as a goddess of the sun.

Hail to the sun god!
For he is a fun god!
Ra! Ra! Ra!
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Being chased by butterflies could be because of the perfume she wears. Birds may attack because she is getting near their food or because she is near one, or more, of their nests when she goes to the feeder.

Either that or "nature" does hate her. As Jaguar Girl she may exude pheromones which cause her to be perceived as an enemy by many creatures. Birds do try to chase away cats after all. Especially Mocking birds. OTOH, the snow thing happened before she became JG. But then, the snow phenomenon may be something entirely separate. A prank not at all related to the other things.

And why doesn't Dietzel consider her an enemy? Given the whole canine vs feline thing.

Given how many beings are real in the Wapsiverse, I'm surprised there is no nature or weather deity. Especially considering things like the fact that there really is a Charon ferrying souls to the underworld/afterlife/Club Dead/whatever. And when you have golems who are capable of destroying the solar system with a single gesture, manipulating the weather should be a snap for some entity.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Cortanis

Post by Cortanis »

KnightDelight wrote:Given how many beings are real in the Wapsiverse, I'm surprised there is no nature or weather deity. Especially considering things like the fact that there really is a Charon ferrying souls to the underworld/afterlife/Club Dead/whatever. And when you have golems who are capable of destroying the solar system with a single gesture, manipulating the weather should be a snap for some entity.
Someone did point out the existence of other trickster deities and I'd like to point out that given the existence of mythological beings as real in the Wapsiverse that their is potentially at least one that fits the bill. Anyone seen Jack Frost lately? >:D
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Butterflies are also carrion eaters, and are attracted to corpses. . .
Jabberwonky wrote:I'd actually enjoy having butterflies chase me in parks...
I knew a city-raised girl who had grand aspirations of becoming a country gal. The only problem was that she was completely terrified of basically all aspects of Nature. One time I got to see her run screaming in panic because a little butterfly came towards her.

(The time when I pointed out the garter snake by her foot was rather memorable, too: for those of you interested in physics, know that antigravity has already been invented, by a girl named Amy.)
Jabberwonky wrote:How do you fight butterflies and not look like a complete bastard?
;)
Zap 'em with rainbow lasers mounted on specially trained kittens?
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Oh look - Monica is the butterfly kid!
Not a chance. They are not in Greenwich Village and the lobsters are still in durance vile.

If you don't get the reference, "The Butteryfly Kid" by Chester Anderson.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Atomic wrote:Maybe it's because she's so sweet -- Nectar of the Goddess? Er, Titaness?
Maybe they are attracted by the over ripe melons.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Unreleased Hitchcock film: "The Butterflies" is coming

=========

{Someone else should post the link - it's a pain to do from the tablet}
There's actually a species that drinks elephant tears. And pretty much any butterfly will drink blood if it's out in the open (they don't/can't bite).
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Swedish Chef

Post by Swedish Chef »

Dave wrote:

we never saw those butterflies after all didn't we ?.

And just because the song is stuck in my head tanks to your pun, enjoy :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfeC-w7SUbM
Lurk lurk lurk!
eee

Post by eee »

Possible paranoia aside, Monica MAY have a point. She is reporting abnormal instances involving Nature. REPEATED abnormal instances. We've seen that snow will pile on her without warning, even when it should be impossible. It would appear she's not talking about occasional run in with rampaging birds and butterflies, but things that have happened often enough that they've rattled her. All of this would suggest that something strange, possibly intentional, IS going on, and she's right to be concerned.

Also, let us consider Jin's behavior. So far she's been carefully dismissing and disparaging Monica's concerns, asking if she thinks she controls the weather, insisting there's no deity that controls nature. None of this actually addresses the facts Monica is reporting, and it is ignoring the possibility that with planning and preparation a being of power COULD cause the effects noted. None of the things that have happened have been life threatening or injurious, they've been more annoyances. But it would be good to find out WHY they are happening. And put an end to it, before this escalates.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Catawampus wrote:Butterflies are also carrion eaters, and are attracted to corpses. . .
There are beautiful iridescent blue butterflies - with teeth - called "jeweljaws" in P.C.Hodgell's "Kencyrath" books. They operate in piranha-like swarms. (Luckily, they are carrion-eaters.)
(The time when I pointed out the garter snake by her foot was rather memorable, too: for those of you interested in physics, know that antigravity has already been invented, by a girl named Amy.)
A while back, when i'd just met Kate and Helen (who was fourteen at the time), i'd picked up Helen after school, and we were meeting Kate at some friends' house.

I parked curbside, next to a luxuriant bed of ivy filling the space between the sidewalk and the curb, which Helen regarded rather dubiously.

"It's okay," i cheerfully reassured her, "there probably aren't any snakes in it."

Two results: I had to pull far away from the curb before she'd get out, and, eighteen years later, she still hasn't forgiven me.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

Honestly Monica could also be going a little bit crazy, or her existing insecurities have only gotten worse since hooking up with Jette. Really we know not a single thing about their relationship. Since she dumped Kevin for her, we have seen Georgette once and even then only from the neck down briefly. Is their relationship healthy? It could easily be influencing her paranoia, or something about the nature of Jette's demon's might be doing something to Monica.

While it's fine to make playful assumptions, she genuinely looks concerned and after all yelled at Jin with a supernaturally loud voice at the end of the page. If we aren't dealing with a deity that has a grudge, it must be something people could relate to better.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Akeche wrote:Honestly Monica could also be going a little bit crazy, or her existing insecurities have only gotten worse since hooking up with Jette. Really we know not a single thing about their relationship. Since she dumped Kevin for her, we have seen Georgette once and even then only from the neck down briefly. Is their relationship healthy? It could easily be influencing her paranoia, or something about the nature of Jette's demon's might be doing something to Monica.

While it's fine to make playful assumptions, she genuinely looks concerned and after all yelled at Jin with a supernaturally loud voice at the end of the page. If we aren't dealing with a deity that has a grudge, it must be something people could relate to better.

About the only thing we can honestly assume here is one of two things- Monica is going over the edge, or somebody is out to get her. Given Paul's 'whiplash special' form of plotline creation there are probably four other possibilities I have missed, but I see these as the most likely. So... either we endure Monica's lastest trip down the rabbit hole or meet another player in this field... or some combination thereof... but regardless, we have to wait and see...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.