Missing Quarts 2015-12-31

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
FreeFlier

Missing Quarts 2015-12-31

Post by FreeFlier »

Five quarts of eggnog? And they didn't puke? :?

. . .

OTOH, that does sound like a workable plan.

Not necessarily completely believable, but workable.

And if they add that they tasted the eggnog and it tasted funny so she dumped it, then that becomes believable.

--FreeFlier
Last edited by FreeFlier on Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherFairportfan

Re: Missing Quarts 2015 December 31

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

FIVE quarts?

Sirens and ursamorphs apparently have some FEROCIOUS metabolisms, to deal with that much eggnog (let alone the booze) that quickly and with such relatively minor consequences.

================

BTW: thread title ought be "Missing Quarts 2015-12-31"

=========

...and Link
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

"...got drunk and had sex and did it all on purpose, not because we're dingy and naive..."

Sounds as if Nadette was figuring on Getting Away With Stuff because of their image...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

Don't worry. I'm sure they already think you're having sex.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

jeffepp wrote:Don't worry. I'm sure they already think you're having sex.
the way that was phrased implies that they did have sex. Now Nadette is worried if anyone finds out they will think less of them. It's like she wants to keep this part of their relationship secret, or just for them.

Sali is right about who will know if they don't tell anyone. The story about the eggnog won't wash though. Mom's know! One look at Nadette by her mother and she'll shoo dad out and ask some pointed questions.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Well, I guess that if you put a whole bunch of expired dates into a jar and then let them sit around for a while, they'll ferment and make alcohol, and I suppose this could end up in eggnog somehow, but I think it would taste just awful!

No wonder Atsali and Nadette feel terrible, walking up after binging on expired dates. That really is a ditzy thing to do.

(Five quarts?!? Egad! :? )
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

I lost my stomach at the mention of FIVE QUARTS of egg nog. Let alone that much alcohol in it.

Poor Nadette is hitting that point Atsali was at about her Siren nature so long ago...

Maybe if Cricket would have named this strip it would have been named: "Never fear, Juggs iz here!"
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
FirehawkShadowchild

Post by FirehawkShadowchild »

Well at least Atsali has enough insight into her own ditziness, that she can come up with a good excuse for the missing eggnog :roll:

5 quarts --> that would be 5 of the cartons we saw in the eggnogbinge comic, right? With that much eggnog they got of lightly. Although if the hangover persists the excuse won't really work, especially if there are loud noises (I'm waiting for the little weed to bust in running around yelling) ...
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Atsali is good at strategery.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
illiad

Post by illiad »

I think there must be a mistake somewhere... even packing a fridge with more than 5 cartons of eggnog (that looks like a 1 quart carton she is holding...)
either it should read 'whole carton' or a later strip saying "what!! no, its only one quart a carton, silly! :roll: :lol: :lol: " (hangover-affected eyes.. :oops: :cry: )

and 5 quarts is BIG. :P
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

I've not seen any eggnog offered at retailed in containers larger than a half-gallon. (Plains Dairy Amarillo sells PET pints and quarts and HDPE half-gallons.)
Announcing today's update, [i]Too Much Information[/i] creator AndyO! wrote:Here's wishing you all a happy, and safe, new year. I want to see all of you back here on Monday. And don't worry, Rocky's driving. And no rich holiday eggnog made with Iowa Bourbon and farm fresh eggs, or champagne for that matter, for my underage characters. Cheers!
Bud_Fanboi

Post by Bud_Fanboi »

FirehawkShadowchild wrote:Well at least Atsali has enough insight into her own ditziness, that she can come up with a good excuse for the missing eggnog :roll:

5 quarts --> that would be 5 of the cartons we saw in the eggnogbinge comic, right? With that much eggnog they got of lightly. Although if the hangover persists the excuse won't really work, especially if there are loud noises (I'm waiting for the little weed to bust in running around yelling) ...
Yep if 5 quarts are missing you're looking at 4.7 Litres or so. As far as the hangover goes... 2 and a half cartons each, most store bought eggnog with alcohol added in already I know of is 30 proof and a whole lot of sugar... For comparison Jack Daniels and most other drinks are 80 proof, some higher. Going to depend on how their bodies metabolize it really.

For instance I'm not exactly what one would call small. I can sit at home with a six pack of pint cans of cheap beer, 2 decent size glasses of Scotch, climb into bed and wake up 7 hours later with no issues. Few friends introduced me to this new stuff which is pretty much Root Beer with alcohol in it. Had 6 of those, woke up the next morning and honestly thought my head was gonna pop off my shoulders.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Bud_Fanboi : welcome!! :D :)

yeah well , I know this girl that can drink beer, ale, whisky ALL night, and not have any effect... Then I found when she drinks wine, she keels over!! :lol: :lol:
Last edited by illiad on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim »

Small Town Brewery says its "Not Your Father's Root Beer" is 10% ABV.
Most commercially packaged "hard" eggnog appear to be in the 25-50 proof range.
AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim »

'Sali, one other glitch in your strategery...
Wikipedia wrote:Eggnog with a strong alcohol content keeps well, and is often considered to improve when aged for up to a year (refrigeration is recommended).
Julie

Post by Julie »

AmriloJim wrote:'Sali, one other glitch in your strategery...
Wikipedia wrote:Eggnog with a strong alcohol content keeps well, and is often considered to improve when aged for up to a year (refrigeration is recommended).
Well...as she pointed out, her general dingy-ness might be considered an "excuse" for any flaws in the strategy. :)

Still...they drank 5 quarts of that stuff?? BLECH!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Julie wrote: . . . Still...they drank --- that stuff?? BLECH!
"Fixed" that for you . . . ;)

(Wish we had the strikeout option some boards have . . .)

That looks to be about a quart container . . . not that it matters if they drank 5 one-quart containers, one five-quart container, or twenty half-pints . . . Unless they're getting some significant extra resistance or higher metabolic rates from being paranormals or that stuff is lower than 30 proof, 12 ounces of alcohol is enough to knock two inexperienced drinkers - especially females, who typically have lower resistance - on their backsides. (5 quarts at 32 ounces each = 160 ounces split between two drinkers = 80 oz each at 30 proof or 15% alcohol by volume = 12 ounces pure alcohol)

They must have higher resistance, since the Wikipedia article on blood alcohol says that should translate to a blood alcohol level high enough to be life-threatening, depending on what assumptions you make about weight, time to consume and metabolization rates. That's assuming one standard drink to contain one-half ounce of alcohol, in which case they had 16 standard drinks!

Atsali will probably peak lower than Nadette due to higher body weight, but would probably sustain the effects longer due to temporary storage of alcohol in body fat.

I'd guess that they're both still rather drunk.

--FreeFlier
Last edited by FreeFlier on Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

I've seen patients that came onto my table from an accident where you figured the blood ought to typed, cross-matched and PROOFED! Sponges coming from the wound soaked in blood giving off fumes of alcohol enough to impare my abilities... and I was a heavy drinker myself back then. But a couple of neophites downing THAT much hootch in one night? Yea, they got something going on beyond the average human drinker, no doubt...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

It also depends on how fast they were drinking it. Six beers in an hour will put me deep into Happy Land, over the course of three and I'm legal to drive. The fact that the delivery system was eggnog would slow intake greatly. I like eggnog, but it's so heavy I really wouldn't be able to drink it fast. (The 'shock jocks' Opie and Anthony used to have a Crimmus time contest called the eggnog challenge. Contestants would do shots of eggnog, one per minute and the last person to not throw-up won. I would add a link to video, but no I wouldn't) Time asleep affects if I'll have a fuzzy head too. Even modest drinking and a short sleep cycle will affect how I feel.

Just sayin' from my experience. And I learned tht if you drink a glass of water before you go to sleep, the instances and symptoms of hang over are greatly reduced.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

They also probably have super fast metabolisms compared to normal humans. So 5 might not be such a stretch.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long