Over The Top 2015-12-08

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Over The Top 2015-12-08

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Now you know what listening to word salad feels like, Atsali.

Over the Top, indeed.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Re: Over The Top 2015-12-08

Post by FreeFlier »

Gag her with a spoon!

I really really hope the cheerbimbo is being a wiseacre . . .

. . .

Unfortunately, I doubt it. :?

--FreeFlier
Last edited by FreeFlier on Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Like Totally.....
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

FreeFlier wrote:Gag her with a spoon!

. . .

--FreeFlier
Careful... she likes that sort of thing...
Notice how Atsali is hung up on 'but'... is that from hoisting one?...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

That young lady does seem to use valley speak a bit to much. Especially given shes from Minneapolis.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Dave

Post by Dave »

Let's see... locker-lined corridors, social awkwardness, Valspeak, interrupted conversations... yeah, it's high school.

All normal again. ;)
oldmanmickey wrote:That young lady does seem to use valley speak a bit to much. Especially given shes from Minneapolis.
She can channel Moon Unit with the best of them.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

oldmanmickey wrote:That young lady does seem to use valley speak a bit to much. Especially given shes from Minneapolis.
and aren't Nadette and Berdine from the Pacific Northwest? and Cricket is from Boston? or someplace back East right? so that really means nothing, Bimbo-Leader could be from the Valley for all we know... but seeing as how she's not in the cast list, i guess it doesn't really matter.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Luke Green

Post by Luke Green »

. . .

--FreeFlier
I have a character that's currently a setting orphan who's a gorgon. Before her heritage triggered she thought she was a normal human she was embarrassed about the Russian accent she got from her mother and her reputation as being a bit of a bully in elementary school. Through Middle School she worked really hard on both controlling her temper and eradicating her accent. Unfortunately, since she did this on her own rather than through a speech coast, she ended up just taking on something of a parody of a Valley dialect (the sort of parody people think of when you say Valley Girl...really, the Valley dialect can be very eloquent when it is moderate). She still doesn't realize that she speaks in a hacked version of the Valley accent.

So now, she has issues with people thinking that she plagiarized whatever essays she turns in because her written language is very eloquent with a high vocabulary and her spoken is...a distorted version of the Valley dialect. When she gets upset or is forced to read something word for word, her accent slips back to Russian. She could seriously use a speech coach, or just use her Russian accent, but she believes there's nothing wrong with how she talks.

It would be interesting if this cheerleader has similarly sabotaged herself.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Atsali knows she was on the verge of a breakthrough, but the moment ended before she made the connection(s). :cry: :evil: :o
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

At least a character, who is part of the story, did not discover they speak in circles, referring to and restating previous utterances, especially while using a run-on sentence structure, to further advance the story, similar to Mojo Jojo, who is not part of the story, or a character in this story, and has not advanced the narrative, as pertains to this story, which does not include Mojo Jojo.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

AAAAAAAaaaahhh!!
illiad

Post by illiad »

Opus the Poet wrote:Atsali knows she was on the verge of a breakthrough, but the moment ended before she made the connection(s). :cry: :evil: :o
yeah, like she was almost, like, there, on the tip of her.... um, like, but she missed it just like, her.... :roll: :shock: :? :? :lol: :lol:
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

She was so CLOSE!
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

Atsali and cheer girl had positive experiences and off-panel girl realizes she has
mother issues?
If Devlyn's powers could be harnessed she'd make a great therapist.
Luke Green

Post by Luke Green »

I'm curious as to why Cricket is the one that knows about Devyn's problem instead of one of her older friends given that Cricket is a new student who doesn't know them very well.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Luke Green wrote:I'm curious as to why Cricket is the one that knows about Devyn's problem instead of one of her older friends given that Cricket is a new student who doesn't know them very well.
She's a princess. The daughter of royalty - she was probably educated on other members of para royalty... Seeing as Devyn is Poseidon's... Niece? Yeah... She probably came up. Especially that ten block incident.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
eee

Post by eee »

Well, that was disappointing. For us, as well as Atsali. Perhaps she can go to Devyn later and ask to be allowed into Nether again. Which may well freak Devyn out, someone WANTING into her nightmare. But if Atsali becomes a frequent visitor, we may well learn more about that very strange place.

Another, willing visit to Nether would also ease Devyn's mortification, that she sent Atsali there.

"Get you a talisman"? That's interesting. If there are talismans that can help Devyn, one would think she'd be wearing them all the time. Perhaps she does and Nether just keeps breaking through. Sort of like how Atsali's anti-wing boner talisman stops her wings from popping out, but can't stop her from transitioning to her full Siren form.
donoho

Post by donoho »

Luke Green wrote:

. . .

--FreeFlier
I have a character that's currently a setting orphan who's a gorgon. Before her heritage triggered she thought she was a normal human she was embarrassed about the Russian accent she got from her mother and her reputation as being a bit of a bully in elementary school. Through Middle School she worked really hard on both controlling her temper and eradicating her accent. Unfortunately, since she did this on her own rather than through a speech coast, she ended up just taking on something of a parody of a Valley dialect (the sort of parody people think of when you say Valley Girl...really, the Valley dialect can be very eloquent when it is moderate). She still doesn't realize that she speaks in a hacked version of the Valley accent.

So now, she has issues with people thinking that she plagiarized whatever essays she turns in because her written language is very eloquent with a high vocabulary and her spoken is...a distorted version of the Valley dialect. When she gets upset or is forced to read something word for word, her accent slips back to Russian. She could seriously use a speech coach, or just use her Russian accent, but she believes there's nothing wrong with how she talks.

It would be interesting if this cheerleader has similarly sabotaged herself.
Cool premise, I vote for the Russian accent. Hope she does too (some day).
donoho

Post by donoho »

eee wrote:Well, that was disappointing. For us, as well as Atsali. Perhaps she can go to Devyn later and ask to be allowed into Nether again. Which may well freak Devyn out, someone WANTING into her nightmare. But if Atsali becomes a frequent visitor, we may well learn more about that very strange place.

Another, willing visit to Nether would also ease Devyn's mortification, that she sent Atsali there.

"Get you a talisman"? That's interesting. If there are talismans that can help Devyn, one would think she'd be wearing them all the time. Perhaps she does and Nether just keeps breaking through. Sort of like how Atsali's anti-wing boner talisman stops her wings from popping out, but can't stop her from transitioning to her full Siren form.
I think, the only way this could be truly disappointing, is if the visits were like dreams. You can't ever really get back to the exact same one in the same way again.

Other than that, seems like a really cool bonding opportunity. Educational for dorkus and theraputic for dinkus. I think the Nether minus Devyn's anxiety/fear/etc would be significantly less gloomy. It'd still be creepy as hell, but that's just how Devyn rolls.
Raventhorne

Post by Raventhorne »

and where back to the socially awkward place that all teens have to train to survive with the skills they learned... dang it