Like A Sad Sack 2012-08-23

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
shadowinthelight

Like A Sad Sack 2012-08-23

Post by shadowinthelight »

I thought the appropriate response to "I farted." was "Dude".
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Jay-Em

Re: Like A Sad Sack 2012-08-23

Post by Jay-Em »

Hah! Fínally Shelly has her revenge for M fouling the air at the boat races..... :lol:

That's the great thing about farts, and fart-jokes. In the right company they disarm many a tense situation... (That's not to say that I want to be around when Phix squeezes one away..pfiuuuuw.. I am stíll traumatized by te experience of the safari-park, where a lioness clambered on top of the truck we were in, and let'r ríp..... :o :shock: the satisfied grin of the game-keeper made me suspect this lioness did that for fun... )
Last edited by Jay-Em on Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

shadowinthelight wrote:I thought the appropriate response to "I farted." was "Dude".
One has to get over the *snerk* before you can say 'Dude.'
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

Way to go, Shelly!

It's a small step - but the longest journeys begin with the smallest steps. Because after all, it's not the destination that's important.
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

Oh, Shelly. <3

This is great. Hopefully the amount of /human/ that M sees will be enough to keep her and Shelly together. She's got too many supernatural dangerous friends to shut them off.

Though, I have to wonder, she's been turned to ice TWICE why hasn't she tried to do the same thing to Euryale?
ImageImage
MrFireDragon

Post by MrFireDragon »

So good to know that after all that....they are just a pair of light hearted dorks.
"Live, Laugh, Love and Keep Moving Forward." MrFireDragon
Knighttrap

Post by Knighttrap »

Man, I open the comic and there is Euryale continuing her tongue lashing on M, looking like she about to go full gorgon on us. As I finish reading Euryale's verbal assault I'm thinking that this is going to be a very sad and emotional comic. Then Shelly goes and drops a bomb and clears the air with one word. God this is shy I love this comic, all the charactes are such a gas.

Clunk, clunk. Drops milk money in the Pun Safe
as363

Post by as363 »

I came - I saw - I VOTED !
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

So the question I have for the jury is this:

If Euryale was looking right at Shelly when she was urging M on to go talk to her, why didn't our half-sphinx/half-Comanche chica get turned to ice?

(This is where Pablo wanders in and says "She wasn't looking directly at Shelly" or something.)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Why isn't Shelly turned to ice. She facing the gorgon in the back ground and that can't help but catch the eye.

Anyway makes you wonder how much of that Shelly heard. Apparently it doesn't bother her or she understands Monica;s panic reaction. But even if this does break the ice it still leave Monica with so deep issues she ahs to deal with. I think we need to look deeper to find the real reason for her reaction. If it just gets swept under the rug it will come back to haunt her again.

Final question: Did Shelly make that remark in passing?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

as363 wrote:I came - I saw - I VOTED !

Shouldn't that be;

I came - I saw - I bloated. Ahhh. That feels better.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Julie

Post by Julie »

chibichibi01 wrote:Though, I have to wonder, she's been turned to ice TWICE why hasn't she tried to do the same thing to Euryale?
Ya know...I've been wondering about that. I wonder if the person who is frozen kind of shuts down mentally (after all, their brain is iced too). If that's the case, then Monica may only remember the split second before the freezing and then the kiss that brought her back. That's not exactly something that would inspire fear.

Maybe if she saw Euryale do it to someone else she'd be able to get a better mental grip on what she's experienced, but I don't know if that would even be enough to make it frightening...it can be undone quickly, easily, and painlessly after all.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Julie

Post by Julie »

jwhouk wrote:So the question I have for the jury is this:

If Euryale was looking right at Shelly when she was urging M on to go talk to her, why didn't our half-sphinx/half-Comanche chica get turned to ice?

(This is where Pablo wanders in and says "She wasn't looking directly at Shelly" or something.)
We also don't know that Shelly was in the line of sight...Monica may have needed to walk back around the bar-hut or something to rejoin the group. *shrugs* There could be many explanations. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Ice broken or should I say wind? I'm glad to see laughter. It's the best medicine for so many things. Shelly is still Shelly, and Monica likes Shelly.
Last edited by Wdot on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Dave

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:Final question: Did Shelly make that remark in passing?
(fans the air while rattling the Pun Jar)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Julie wrote:We also don't know that Shelly was in the line of sight...Monica may have needed to walk back around the bar-hut or something to rejoin the group. *shrugs* There could be many explanations. :P
It's also possible there's more to the story of Gorgon Mojo than mythology has recorded (as with so much else about mythology in the Wapsiverse). It may be that "looking at the gorgon when the snakes are out and looking back at you" isn't all of it. There could be an additional part to the formula.

If so, I'd guess it requires some threshold amount of emotional arousal on the part of the gorgon... fear or anger? The first time Euryale iced Monica, M had startled Euryale from behind and scared her. The second time, Euryale was focusing on Monica very intently and trying to drive home her concern in the face of Monica's refusal to listen... again, a directed emotional intensity.

In these panels, Euryale is clearly "het up" but she is not focusing that emotion on Shelly.

Or, possibly, there's a distance factor?
donoho

Post by donoho »

That de-escalated quickly... Yay!
wratgaf

Post by wratgaf »

Shelly is a Sphinx and also immortal, perhaps Gorgons don't affect her?
PrettyPrincess

Post by PrettyPrincess »

Shelly reminds me of my foster daughter, except she says "I fluffed."
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Julie wrote:
jwhouk wrote:So the question I have for the jury is this:

We also don't know that Shelly was in the line of sight...Monica may have needed to walk back around the bar-hut or something to rejoin the group. *shrugs* There could be many explanations. :P
I noticed looking Euryale straight in the eyes in the first panel, One pupil is Different from the other. Possibly she is not yet in "Full Gorgon-mode".
Ahhhh, Monica and Shelly Laughing and 'goofin' like always. I'd hate to think Phix is going to be up in The Library alone, friendless. I hope Monica and Shelly work together to work out their feelings toward Phix and let her back into their lives.