Wanna Join Me - 2015-05-20

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Wanna Join Me - 2015-05-20

Post by jwhouk »

Given that 'Sali is incredibly farsighted, glasses would probably be a good idea.

And she also does need to be seeing things right in front of her in other areas, too.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

Thing is, she could be jumping around and having fun like everyone else if she was wearing a bathing suit which was appropriate, structurally speaking, for her body. There's a reason Monica wanted to get sports bras custom made prior to her getting more active, and it's the same reason that Atsali really could use a one piece that's got some sort of bra-like support built into the inside of it. Awkward in theory, but I think the woman that forged sports bras capable of stopping Monica from hitting the floor after a tumble would be able to manage.

I don't entirely understand why Jin chose this particular bikini. She's wanting to provoke a response by having Atsali be as exposed as possible.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

As much as Castela really needed that hug after her tank went BOOOSH, Atsali might need some mom support even more.

I really hope she's at the pool, too - despite being a human (well, unusual one).
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Thor

Post by Thor »

Akeche wrote:I don't entirely understand why Jin chose this particular bikini. She's wanting to provoke a response by having Atsali be as exposed as possible.
Don't worry, Jin has a cunning plan.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Catawampus wrote:On a side note, I've never really thought about how people with really bad eyesight who wear glasses manage in public pools. Swimming with them on wouldn't be that great of an idea, I'd imagine, and I've heard that wearing contacts in the pool can be a very unpleasant thing. I guess that you don't really need to see all that well if you're just going to be splashing around.
Indeed we don't need to see all that well in the water. Not that I've noticed any difference in private pools …

Yeah, everything is a blur, but when I've been in a pool, I've been there to swim. I really don't care until the blur is on a collision course.

(Of course I'm there to swim. What else might there be for me to do there?)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I can't read Times New Roman 12pt at half-arm's-length, but I can still tell a human from a ball, and can recognize and avoid future collisions. If I don't have a klutzy moment.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
illiad

Post by illiad »

.. and if your sight is really that bad, you can get 'prescription' swim goggles... :)
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Not being able to see while swimming always annoyed me and was part of the reason I got lasik surgery. Plus it's fun to be able to tell people you got shot in the face with lasers.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

shadowinthelight wrote:Not being able to see while swimming always annoyed me and was part of the reason I got lasik surgery. Plus it's fun to be able to tell people you got shot in the face with lasers.
"CAUTION! Do not look into laser with remaining eyeball."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I wish I could have LASIK, but the doc says I have to wait until my eyes stabilize.
Unfortunately, they are just getting worse and worse, with no signs of slowing.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

When i was seven, we discovered that i needed glasses when my mother realised that, forget reading it, i couldn't SEE the scoreboard on the other side of a basketball court...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

When I was seven, the teacher figured out that I couldn't read the chalkboard from the first row of desks. My dad remembers that when I got the glasses, I was amazed to see leaves on trees as individual units.

Then I got progressively more nearsighted for 50 years. Just this month got new lenses because my prescription has eased off a bit. Age-related farsightedness, you know. I can actually read without glasses, if the page is about 18 inches from my face. Used to have to be too close to it to see the whole page. :geek:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Heh. My myopia never was that bad, and still isn't. But my astigmatism has gotten really bad.

Used to be I could focus pretty well just by squinting. Well, that (sorta) takes care of the myopia, but it doesn't do squat about astigmatism …
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
AnotherFairportfan

Even after my distant vision had deteriorated to 20/400 (and a minus 9.5 diopter prescription), i still had 20/15 close vision; in almost every electronics shop i worked in (from the Navy onward) it was generally considered to be quicker and easier to locate me instead of a magnifying glass to read teeny-tiny component markings.

Nowadays, with presbyopia, the ophthalmologist thinks i need bifocals (i don't, really) - but the last time i was wearing contacts, i had to carry a pair of 1.5 diopter reading glasses everywhere i went.
AnotherFairportfan

Last i heard, Chuck Yeager still has 20/10 vision, near and far.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

That brightens my day. Ninety-year-old rocketplane pilots got to have all kinds of right stuff. 8-)
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

My wife's opthalmologist told our medical insurance "She has cataracts. She's almost legally blind. It's time for surgery." They agreed.

He told HER "You has cataracts just barely begining to form. In another five years, a person with anywhere near normal vision might begin to notice some impairment. However, as bad as your vision has been your entire life..."

(It was bad enough that her brain gave up on trying to integrate what it was getting from both eyes; as a result, even though she now has 20/20 vision in each eye, she has no depth perception at all.)