Think Like That 2015-04-30

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
GlytchMeister

Re: Think Like That 2015-04-30

Post by GlytchMeister »

shadowinthelight wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:You know, I am feeling extremely frustrated by this site's need for me to constantly log back in whenever I look at another tab on my freaking iPad.
Are you sure you are checking "Log me on automatically each visit" when you log in?
Won't work on my devices. Computer or iPad, due to how I've set up all of my browsers for the most privacy and security. So no cookies, trackers, saved passwords, etc. You could say I like making the NSA guys work a little bit harder than most people.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

DilyV wrote:Sadly, I think that Atsali hasn't really had anyone of her own species have the birds and bees talk with her. All it seems she really has to go on are rumors and maybe something out of a book or an internet Wiki post. I don't think she's really gotten any first hand knowledge about her species and she's thinking the worst based on lies, rumors and half truths.
How old was she, i wonder, when whatever happened happened to her parents - and what DID happen to them, BTW?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

GlytchMeister wrote:How do we know Monica can contact Horned Girl? From what I remember, Monica is a Demon Shepard, a Jaguar Girl, a Sub-Titan, and has Pheonix blood. How does this make her a necromancer or a necrocommunicator?
Jaguars are messengers to the spirit world.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

GlytchMeister wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:You know, I am feeling extremely frustrated by this site's need for me to constantly log back in whenever I look at another tab on my freaking iPad.
Are you sure you are checking "Log me on automatically each visit" when you log in?
Won't work on my devices. Computer or iPad, due to how I've set up all of my browsers for the most privacy and security. So no cookies, trackers, saved passwords, etc. You could say I like making the NSA guys work a little bit harder than most people.
It's not the site, it's your setup. The problem with making it a little bit harder for NSA guys to track you, is that it makes it pretty much impossible for the forum software to keep track of your login.

Your choice: Privacy or convenience. Choose freely, but don't blame the site for your choice.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
DilyV wrote:Sadly, I think that Atsali hasn't really had anyone of her own species have the birds and bees talk with her. All it seems she really has to go on are rumors and maybe something out of a book or an internet Wiki post. I don't think she's really gotten any first hand knowledge about her species and she's thinking the worst based on lies, rumors and half truths.
How old was she, i wonder, when whatever happened happened to her parents - and what DID happen to them, BTW?
Based on the sketches Pablo did in the middle of the Lost Dolls storyline, Atsali was orphaned anywhere from 6 to 8 years prior to her meeting Katherine.

I posited in the novelization that she had been playing with a pet frog when she was told about her parents. Paul never corrected me.

Interesting to note that the way Atsali acted toward Nadette is similar to her lashing out at Pickle when we first met the latter.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

Thor wrote:LINKER

Woo-hoo, Nadette!

You tell her!

That'll teach her to be traumatized and emotionally crippled at you! :lol:
Atsali tried to "friend zone" Nadette but Nadette was not having any part of that.
If more people spoke out like that when their feelers got hurt, the friend zone would not be so densely populated.
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

GlytchMeister wrote:How do we know Monica can contact Horned Girl? From what I remember, Monica is a Demon Shepard, a Jaguar Girl, a Sub-Titan, and has Pheonix blood. How does this make her a necromancer or a necrocommunicator?
Communicating with the dead is part of the job for the Jaguar Girl. It's right there in the first few lines of the job description.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Shelly listed communicating with the land of the dead as one of Monica's abilities but it has not yet been seen in action.
That's also why Tsillah was assigned to be Monica's liaison.
kingklash wrote:It's supposed to be part and parcel of the Jaguar Spirit's role in Aztec tradition.
And not just Aztec, either.

From what I recall from the various things I've read, the general consensus is that it started with the sort of unorganised shamanistic practices of the Mesoamerican people back before they started building large civilisations. Part of the shaman's role was to communicate with the spirits of ancestors and convince/coerce spirits to do his bidding. The jaguar is basically the biggest and strongest predator in the region, so it was common for shamans to have a jaguar spirit guide as a powerful protector and enforcer. When the Maya and Aztec (and possibly Olmec, though not enough evidence is left to really know) societies coalesced, they carried over this idea into their own religious practices.
oldmanmickey wrote:Just a stray thought here but we do know Stali becomes a writer because Phix said so, her books are in the library.
We do?
Just get a second iPad, for looking at other websites.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

GlytchMeister wrote:Won't work on my devices. Computer or iPad, due to how I've set up all of my browsers for the most privacy and security. So no cookies, trackers, saved passwords, etc. You could say I like making the NSA guys work a little bit harder than most people.
Blocking cookies keeps a website from tracking you but doesn't help one bit against the NSA. They get the records of every IP address you connect to from your ISP, not anything stored on your device.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

GlytchMeister wrote:I'm now pretty sure it's my dumb iPad, it's acting up something fierce right now. Idiotic outdated brick.
I already figured out its my iPad. The weird part is, it usually doesn't do this. I can frequently look at several sites for a long time and come back to this one still logged in. But last night, I couldn't look at two.
shadowinthelight wrote:Blocking cookies keeps a website from tracking you but doesn't help one bit against the NSA. They get the records of every IP address you connect to from your ISP, not anything stored on your device.
It's not just about NSA, I just used them as the main issue. I probably should have said something more along the lines of all those companies that track your internet usage for advertising and whatnot.
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Does your browser off choice support TABs?
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

TazManiac wrote:Does your browser off choice support TABs?
I dunno. I'm using the regular iPad Safari on private browsing mode through the WeBlock proxy right now. My laptop uses Waterfox with Adblock, Ghostery, and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit... Or it uses Tor or the Tails OS.

What are TAB's?
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Dude. CHROME FOR IOS.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:Dude. CHROME FOR IOS.
Is it really that much better? I'm just wary of advice from fanboys, I try to stay unbiased.
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

1. It's not Safari.
2. If you have a Google account, you can sync stuff with your PC/laptop.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:1. It's not Safari.
2. If you have a Google account, you can sync stuff with your PC/laptop.
Is there a 64x build of Chrome for PC's?
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

There's a 64-bit version for Windows 7 and Windows 8, and for Linux.
captnq

Post by captnq »

About the privacy issue.

The NSA has admitted that they keep a copy of the internet. If a packet of info goes from anywhere to anywhere and it passes through American controlled connections, they make a copy. Exactly how is disabling cookies going to stop that?
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I think we was being (at least partly) factitious...

'tabs' are when the browser allows you to open another 'window' within the existing frame or instance of the Browser.

(You could just as easily open a whole 'nother instance of the program, but..) having a few tabs open allows, among other things, the ability to leave a given web page in whatever state you might want to step away from and work on another page- even from the same web site mind you, and flip right back over to the first page, or Tab.

Here is a pretty dense but seemingly informative page I found via Google: 'firefox tabbed browsing' were my search perimeters.

http://dmcritchie.mvps.org/firefox/tabs.htm
Last edited by TazManiac on Fri May 01, 2015 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Back to the subject of the comic:

What Nadette says to Atsali here might not be the best thing she could possibly have said, but it's pretty darn good for a kid her age.