Across Calhoun 2015-04-23

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Across Calhoun 2015-04-23

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

That's loud

===========

And that is probably the second-least person they want to have to talk to right now.

Monica might be more scary, but as far as they know, Monica happens AFTER they Admit All to Atsali.

They don't know about Monica and Cricket's relationship.

========================

And what about Naomi ... uhhh ... Dietzel?

========

Link
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Opus the Poet

Re: Across Calhoun 2015-04-23

Post by Opus the Poet »

This could be interesting in the Chinese sense. AKA good story, not so good life.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

I hear the voice of Boris Badenov saying "Hoo boy." Disgustedly.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Jiminy! It's Cricket!
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:That's loud
Probably one of Finagle's axioms at work. If wind and reflections are going to carry your voice in an unexpected direction, it will always be the worst one.
And that is probably the second-least person they want to have to talk to right now.
Second-least person in terms of preference, or in terms of body mass?

Certainly not in terms of potential or kinetic energy! :)
And what about Naomi ... uhhh ... Dietzel?
He's the least, in terms of body mass, right at this particular moment.

Rather enjoying it, though. Rather than scratching vainly at parasitic insects too small to see, he's now closer to their size... small enough to get a good look at them, but plenty enough bigger than they are that it's really no contest who wins the argument.

So, he's really giving them what-for when he sees them. You could say he's being rather dog-ma-tick about it.

But, being a man of high standards, you probably won't. ;)
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Aaannd...that's why we love the Mighty Cricket...
:lol: :lol:
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote:
Second-least person in terms of preference, or in terms of body mass?

Certainly not in terms of potential or kinetic energy! :)
Second-least in terms of "O, boy, that's gonna hurrrttt..." {in a having-serious-problems-with-the-queen-bee context, given who's Cricket's BFF}

(If you've seen The Cockeyed Cowboys of Calico County, imagine that line in Mickey Rooney's voice... Very very silly movie, great cast*, fun way to kill an hour or so.}

=================

* All of these people must have owed the producer money:

Dan Blocker ... Charley
Nanette Fabray ... Sadie
Jim Backus ... Staunch
Wally Cox ... Mr. Bester
Jack Elam ... Kittrick
Henry Jones ... Hanson
Stubby Kaye ... Bartender
Mickey Rooney ... Indian Tom
Noah Beery Jr ... Eddie
Marge Champion ... Mrs. Bester
Don 'Red' Barry ... Rusty
Hamilton Camp ... Mr. Fowler
Iron Eyes Cody ... Crazy Foot
Jack Cassidy ... Roger Hand
Susan Saint James ... Mrs. Martha Kid (uncredited)
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Saw that in the theater...back in the day when a movie would have more than one or two stars in the cast...it is a fun ride for those that can find it...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

As she is fey, they cannot lie to her and get away with it... and I think Jessica knows this

The fuse is lit! FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

They can't lie to Cricket anyway... she heard them. Best thing to do is to lay out what they know honestly and ask one simple question. "What do we do?" This is no one's fault really, though angsty teens tend to have to have someone to blame it all on.

This whole thing had me running through all the links and I thought of Monica dumping Kevin. Mon got all indignant when she thought Bud had bedded him... then she turns around and dumps him for Georgette. We still don't know if Kev and Bud ever hooked up... For all we know, he's buried in a snow drift somewhere still ruminating about losing Monica. That whole episode didn't make much sense to me.

Back to the here and now, Jessie, Krystle, Atsali and maybe Nadette need to sit down and talk out what they know and get the air cleared before anything blows up. I'm not sure that Jessie knew what her brother was "hunk"ering for... Now that she knows, she needs to get it all out in the open with Atsali. This whole mess is going to make victims of everyone.

EDIT: Let's see... Nadette wants Atsali, who wants Satyr boy, who has eyes for Jessie's brother, who is in turn wanted by Krystle, friend of Jessie who bullied Atsali until Atsali showed her compassion even though she'd been bullying Atsali. This, ladies and gentlemen is what is known in military circles as a Mongolian cluster fuck. Nothing good can come out of this.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
AnotherFairportfan

Speaking of no-sided professors...

{Well-worth your time, if you like math, droll stories, and Martin Gardner's "Mathematical Games" column years ago in Scientific American, or his Annotated Alice.}
AnotherFairportfan

Jabberwonky wrote:Saw that in the theater...back in the day when a movie would have more than one or two stars in the cast...it is a fun ride for those that can find it...
I assume you remember the Mickey Rooney line i referred to...
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

DilyV wrote:This whole thing had me running through all the links and I thought of Monica dumping Kevin. Mon got all indignant when she thought Bud had bedded him... then she turns around and dumps him for Georgette. We still don't know if Kev and Bud ever hooked up... For all we know, he's buried in a snow drift somewhere still ruminating about losing Monica. That whole episode didn't make much sense to me.
It may have been easier to follow if Paul didn't allow so much to happen off screen but with so many characters if he showed more of everyone's life, readers would probably be howling about the story dragging. A lot of time passed between being upset at Bud's fake out and the breakup for Monica to realize her relationship with Kevin wasn't what it should be. We just didn't get to see her go through the whole process.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I missed something. When did...

Oh. Never mind. "Lanthis! I get it! At Lanthis!"
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

I am thinking the poor tuna twins had better hope that Stali is all they got to worry about. Cricket is apt to get ticked at them for inadvertently hurting her friend Jugs feelings. I have seen teens exhibit some very strange logic.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
AnotherFairportfan

oldmanmickey wrote:I am thinking the poor tuna twins had better hope that Stali is all they got to worry about. Cricket is apt to get ticked at them for inadvertently hurting her friend Jugs feelings. I have seen teens exhibit some very strange logic.
I seldom use the words "teenage" and "logic" in the same sentence.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:I seldom use the words "teenage" and "logic" in the same sentence.
"i" do, but there are almost always a couple of other words in those sentences... ones like "a lack of"
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
eee

Post by eee »

For those unfamiliar with Minneapolis geography or Wapsi Square memes, or weak in Google-fu, we're talking LAKE Calhoun. And if Castila could hear them all the way over there, and still reach them so quick, she's a very fast mover.

Actually, this collaboration might be unexpectedly effective. I suspect down to Earth Cricket will ask "Does 'Sali know about this, and is she OK with it?", and instead of elaborate plots and schemes the tunas will try to find out the facts, first. Which would be an interesting change...
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Or they could wind up dragging Calista along on their elaborate plots and schemes.

Which would also, for Cricket, be an interesting change …
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

shadowinthelight wrote:
DilyV wrote:This whole thing had me running through all the links and I thought of Monica dumping Kevin. Mon got all indignant when she thought Bud had bedded him... then she turns around and dumps him for Georgette. We still don't know if Kev and Bud ever hooked up... For all we know, he's buried in a snow drift somewhere still ruminating about losing Monica. That whole episode didn't make much sense to me.
It may have been easier to follow if Paul didn't allow so much to happen off screen but with so many characters if he showed more of everyone's life, readers would probably be howling about the story dragging. A lot of time passed between being upset at Bud's fake out and the breakup for Monica to realize her relationship with Kevin wasn't what it should be. We just didn't get to see her go through the whole process.
If I'm completely honest? There was no process. I believe she was manipulated by Georgette. You cannot throw around words like her using Kevin like a sex object, and getting pissed when he doesn't wanna break the bed when you never showed anything remotely suggesting this. It was all complete and total bullshit, and I really gotta wonder what the hell was wrong with Tina who's supposed to be the one to easily read people. But hey, maybe it's supposed to read as it did... In which case Paul just did a very bad job in handling his own characters relationship.

Like we never saw anything to suggest Monica and Kevin had any problems, ever. Maybe the closest was sometimes he'd be gone for a while when working, but that was it. We never saw a suggestion that... oh, he was unfaithful during that time or anything like that. The only thing connecting her and Jet was what had happened in their pasts. Not telling Kevin about it does not seem like a good enough reason to dump him, not everyone is willing to share that kind of stuff even with those they love.

The whole thing just makes me angry. Maybe that's the point? I'm supposed to be angry at Monica for making a terrible decision, but at the same time we also have Tina who's the usual source of enlightenment be the entire reason the whole thing happened as it did. There was no "You two and Kevin need to sit down and have a long chat, and figure things out." It was straight to "You two are meant for each other! Kevin? Oh, fuck him just come up with some bullshit to get rid of him."