Favorite Brother 2015-04-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dr. Otter

Re: Favorite Brother 2015-04-21

Post by Dr. Otter »

Akamar wrote:I kinda get the vibe Jessie might know Jacob, or of him as well, and perhaps has her own little crush on him?
That's exactly what I thought. Jessie's expression looks to me like she's conflicted between happiness for her brother and extreme disappointment that Jacob was never available for whatever hopes she had.
Be the role model she'll always remember. Be a Girl Scout volunteer today!
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Teen drama at it's worst. This is beginning to resemble 90210 and the other teen dramas where a score card is needed to keep track of who's doing what with whom. Only this is worse as we have all the para connections to track as well.

Nade is hug on Sali. Sali is hung of Jacob, Jacob is hung on Dan. Dan is boasting to Jess. Jess is happy but concern as she knows about Sali and Jacob but not Nade and Sali. Meanwhile Bern is helping Nade cope while working with Jess to manage the queen. The queen who doesn't want to be a queen. Meanwhile the princess is learning to drive with a Jag.

See what I mean?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Thor

Post by Thor »

zachariah wrote:
Teen drama at it's worst.
"Teen drama at it is worst"? That doesn't even make sense.

Feh. The only difference I see between these goings-on and the romance drama that was going on before Atsali showed up is the ages of the participants. Let's not forget that Bud was crushing on both Monica and Shelley's boyfriends at one point, and the whole triange with Jet, Monica, and Mr. Goatee, and the Shelly/Owen stuff, and so on.

Besides, we really don't know what the import of this little tidbit of info really is at this point. We don't even know what Jesse's reaction to the news means.

And if this is the worst example of teen drama that you've seen, then you are missing the vast majority of teen drama. And apparently never heard of Twilight.
eee

Post by eee »

I don't know what the look on Jessie's face means. I'm kind of uneasy about Daniel's "I can really work with that!" comment regarding Jacob's sayterdom. I have no idea where this is headed. But what I keep coming back to is, doesn't it hurt for Jessie to leave her tail hanging over the side of the tub like that? Can't merfolk get extra long tubs to accommodate those things? And how is she going to get out? She'll have to resume human form and grow legs, or throw herself out of the tub and flop around on the ground. Mer-homelife looks a bit odd...

I'm also getting flashbacks to Daryl Hannah in 'Splash'.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Small Wapsiverse huh?
I would think the lower half is the one part of her she would most want to be in the water, that being the main fish part and all.
We seem to have really taken a plunge into the gay and lesbian aspect of things right here in Wapsi City. I wonder if there is a reason for it all? Is it because it's topical in real life at the current time or is all this leading somewhere?
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

I wonder if merfolk prefer to add bath salts to their water, or if fresh water is just as comfy to them?
captnq wrote:I suspect that she's embarrassed her brother is dating one of "THEM" I mean, ohmighod! My brother is going to get such a reputation as a slut after this. UGH!
From what I've heard from gay friends of mine, that's pretty much what many people think of gays anyway. "He's gay, so he must be super-promiscuous!" I'm not quite sure how they reach that conclusion. The other kids at school might take it for granted that Daniel and the satyr would hook up, or that they already have.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

I'm thinking that she knew of the Atsali/Jacob date. And then also of the date cancellation. Now that she realises her brother was the reason for the date break, she is worried that when Atsali finds out it was her brother, Atsali will think that she had something to do with it. And when that happens, she is sushi. On toast. Atsali's aunts will see to it.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:So mermaids, like sirens, have more than one aspect.

So you're saying mermaids have layers...Image
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

OK,

- the tub's end isn't on screen, so it could very well be Extra Long. (We'll just assume it is, for now.)

- Jessie's tail is flopped out over the side, between the tub and the wall, that means it ain't a tub-flush-to-the-wall type situation.

- Jessie seems to be able to selectively choose how far into fish-mode she wants to be... (neck gills)

I recall the stuff hardly makes any sense, until you go back and view a week or two at a run...
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Catawampus wrote:From what I've heard from gay friends of mine, that's pretty much what many people think of gays anyway. "He's gay, so he must be super-promiscuous!" I'm not quite sure how they reach that conclusion.
[sarcasm]Because everybody knows how immoral The Gays are.[/sarcasm] Gotta justify the hate somehow.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
as363

Post by as363 »

Just to change the conversation a bit - Paul has been offering the new book #6 Visits to a Sand Bar - but the main entrance screen has Book #1 . Been having problems with Lulu - the book distributor - getting my order accepted . Had just talked to them this morning and was going to try again .. but I can't access from here. Any Solutions come to mind ??? Just revisited Lulu and got my order confirmed - nice lady worked me thru the whole thing - my bad. (edited one time )
Dave

Post by Dave »

as363 wrote:Any Solutions come to mind ???
A solution of sucrose and Angostura Bitters, using bourbon as the solvent and a small admixture of soda as a catalyst, might take your mind off of the wait while they get the problem sorted out.

Granted, it's an old-fashioned solution, but sometimes the traditional approaches work best.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Catawampus wrote:I wonder if merfolk prefer to add bath salts to their water, or if fresh water is just as comfy to them?
Well, apparently she can tolerate chlorinated pool water when she goes full fishie (which, if we were talking a real critter with real gills, would be ludicrous).
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

In reference to the water or something else?
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
AnotherFairportfan

Gyrrakavian wrote:

In reference to the water or something else?
Gills, predator teeth and finned arms - notably absent in today's page:

(Okay, you can't see the arm fins, but the teeth, gills and creepy fish eyes are not in evidence, so i think we can assume the fins' absence.)
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Catawampus wrote:I wonder if merfolk prefer to add bath salts to their water, or if fresh water is just as comfy to them?
Well, apparently she can tolerate chlorinated pool water when she goes full fishie (which, if we were talking a real critter with real gills, would be ludicrous).

But I (we?) don't think the para-school pool has Chlorine in it... duz we?
A number of safe, non-toxic options exist, such as treating water with ozone gas or ultra violet light." .I
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

I'm a little late to the game today but awwwww shit... this can not end well...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
AnotherFairportfan

TazManiac wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:
But I (we?) don't think the para-school pool has Chlorine in it... duz we?
A number of safe, non-toxic options exist, such as treating water with ozone gas or ultra violet light." .I
Until Paul says differently, i assume it's chlorinated - because a major part (perhaps the majority) of the school's curriculum is devoted to "how to pass for human in a human world" - which means a place where you will almost exclusively encounter chlorinated swimming pools.

And city water will be chlorinated, so if that's what Jessie's bath is filled with... (Unless it's iodised, which i have encountered VERY occasionally.)
captnq

Post by captnq »

Catawampus wrote:From what I've heard from gay friends of mine, that's pretty much what many people think of gays anyway. "He's gay, so he must be super-promiscuous!" I'm not quite sure how they reach that conclusion. The other kids at school might take it for granted that Daniel and the satyr would hook up, or that they already have.
Seriously? You can't figure this out?
Okay. Listen to any teenie-bopper song on the radio. What do they basically say?

All boys are "Always Horny Every Minute of Every Day"

The only speed bump stopping your average male under 25 from having sex (according to popular media) non-stop is the need to eat, sleep, and the fact that women don't always put out.

So, put two gay men together, and basically they will never stop having sex.

I'm not saying it's true, it's just that today driving around and doing my shopping, I noticed three basic songs on the radio:
Let's Have Sex.
Sorry I cheated on you.
Cheat on the guy/girl you are with and have sex with me.

And people wonder why I listen to NPR all the time.

Now You Kids Get Off My LAWN!
captnq

Post by captnq »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Well, apparently she can tolerate chlorinated pool water when she goes full fishie (which, if we were talking a real critter with real gills, would be ludicrous).
Chlorine. This is the sticking point for you.

Ignoring she's a polymorphic fish woman who can apparently bitch slap the laws of conservation of matter and energy until they do what she wants.
Lets skip over the fact that They have the ability to teleport all over the world like you or I would catch a bus.
Ignore that fact that if she was half fish, then she should at least age like a fish and become a full adult in about 6 months.
Just forget that all these paranormal kids are dating different SPECIES and if the paraschool continues to exist for any length of time and allows uncontrolled interbreeding, it's only a matter of time before everyone is a bunch of Cronenbergs.

No no no... it's the chlorine you're having a problem suspending disbelief over.