Big Sis Stheno 2015-04-13

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Re: Big Sis Stheno 2015-04-13

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote::inhaaaaale:

TIIINAAA!!! :D
And she's let her hair grow back into a more conventional/conservative style. I can't say I'm sorry... I don't find the half-shaven look particularly attractive.

Then again, since I'm pushing 60, the flamboyant hairstyles of the young are supposed to be ones I wouldn't be caught dead wearing (just as shoulder-length hair such as I wore into my mid-20s was intended to set on edge the teeth of the McCarthy generation :D )
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I wasn't overly fond of it either. I'm not too picky about women's hair; I like long, short, dyed, natural, curly, wavy, straight, Merida-level curly even. But I'm not a big fan of afros, cornrows, or punk styles (e.g. Mohawks, whatever Tina had, etc.)
I'm usually not fond of shaven heads, but I can get used to them, as I learned while watching V for Vendetta.

Then again, a lot of people tell me I'm rather old-fashioned. Maybe I'm not a good sample for my demographic.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

I expect Tina is tasked with spreading the news about the pool party at the local para pool. The betting pool is now open for three categories, who attends, who the bitching betty is, and lastly what the results are. any takers? All loosing bets are paid to the pun jar or confusion corner. Winners get exclusive bragging rights to having out guessed us all.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Is it me, or is Euryale even more jocular than usual?
Harassing the cranky sibling.
Perhaps so, but today, our Southern Belle seems to be leaning into Redneck territory...

"Yuk yuk yuk yuk?" Really?
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Greek Coffee, or Turkish Coffee (Greeks will wildly denounce that the way they make coffee cam from there though), is incredibly strong, thick and chewy. The closest thing we have in the US to it is cowboy coffee, which is where the coffee is thrown into a big kettle and heated all night long. Then a horseshoe is thrown into the pot. If the shoe sinks the coffee is left to cook. If the shoe floats it is good to drink. If the shoe dissolves it is perfect for waking the cowboys up. At that point an egg shell is thrown into the pot and will cause grounds to settle to the bottom and the coffee is served.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

oldmanmickey wrote:I expect Tina is tasked with spreading the news about the pool party at the local para pool. The betting pool is now open for three categories, who attends, who the bitching betty is, and lastly what the results are. any takers? All loosing bets are paid to the pun jar or confusion corner. Winners get exclusive bragging rights to having out guessed us all.
So far there is no reason, or indication, for anyone else to be invited to the para pool war, doesn't that make a good title for a story. Sali and Pckle are going with Jin and they do not want witnesses, friends, for what is about to happen. If friends are there they are likely to interfere with what is going to happen to the complainer when Jin cuts loose on her. The complainer deserves what is about to happen to her and many of the cast would try and soften Jin's response. So only the second and third pools are valid.

1. Complainer - A self righteous women, from slightly, to as lot, overweight, plain, and single, or divorced.
2. Results - Massive verbal attack design to make the person feel smaller than a BB on the moon. Followed by having their morals, and intelligence, defamed and denounced to within an inch of their short lives.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
eee

Re: 2015-04-13 Big Sis Stheno

Post by eee »

I rather prefer Tina like this, with a more normal hairdo...

Is it possible the demons can''t agree on what Tina should look like and are taking turns deciding on her appearance? That might explain this parade of styles.

I wonder how her transforming into human is going. Does she still shut down periodically? Is she still dreaming when she sleeps? Are her perceptions changing?
wratgaf wrote:I don't know about the rest of you but I'm lost....... :?:
Stheno, Euryale, and Medusa were all sisters turned into Gorgons by Athena and who terrorized the ancient Greek world. At least so the story goes; Euryale has indicated a lot of that isn't accurate. Stheno was the eldest sister and the one you DIDN'T want to cross if you wanted to live. THAT seems to be accurate. Here, the Happy Hugger is introducing her to the Waspiverse and Tina.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

zachariah wrote:Greek Coffee, or Turkish Coffee (Greeks will wildly denounce that the way they make coffee cam from there though), is incredibly strong, thick and chewy. The closest thing we have in the US to it is cowboy coffee, which is where the coffee is thrown into a big kettle and heated all night long. Then a horseshoe is thrown into the pot. If the shoe sinks the coffee is left to cook. If the shoe floats it is good to drink. If the shoe dissolves it is perfect for waking the cowboys up. At that point an egg shell is thrown into the pot and will cause grounds to settle to the bottom and the coffee is served.
And the coffee they'll be drinking is Arbuckle's. I'm glad to see Stheno finally show up in the comic. She is going to be a deadpan snarker, I'm sure, because someone has to balance out the delight that is Euryale.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
as363

Post by as363 »

Remind's me of my grandfather on my mother's side. A Scotsman from the Shetland Island's. He'd hand-grind 4 coffee cups of Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee and dump it into one of those blue metal pots and put it on a coal-fired stove and let it brew for about 20 minutes. If it was a school day and I was staying with him ghe would offer me a cup. No milk- just sugar - you can imagine the effect on a hyper-active 8 year old smart-ass kid.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

shadowinthelight wrote:If it is really that thick I should recommend it to a friend of mine. I remember she used to eat chocolate covered whole coffee beans in school.
My son does that. I once as a joke stuffed a Cadbury egg full of espresso beans for him...he gobbled it up and gave me the big eyes and said, "Please Mummy, can I have some more? I should do that again, as it was the calmest he's ever been...
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

as363 wrote:Remind's me of my grandfather on my mother's side. A Scotsman from the Shetland Island's. He'd hand-grind 4 coffee cups of Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee and dump it into one of those blue metal pots and put it on a coal-fired stove and let it brew for about 20 minutes. If it was a school day and I was staying with him ghe would offer me a cup. No milk- just sugar - you can imagine the effect on a hyper-active 8 year old smart-ass kid.
Yeah, calm him down to a quasi-normal young man. I give my son espresso with a single shot of hazelnut. Goes from shot out like a rocket to sitting and reading.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

oldmanmickey wrote:I expect Tina is tasked with spreading the news about the pool party at the local para pool. The betting pool is now open for three categories, who attends, who the bitching betty is, and lastly what the results are. any takers? All loosing bets are paid to the pun jar or confusion corner. Winners get exclusive bragging rights to having out guessed us all.
The cook, in the parlor, with a melon baller.

No, seriously though... I have the feeling the prude might be Jessie's mom... but would Atsali know who she is? Maybe not as she doesn't exactly hang out with Jessie and Krystal.

Who attends the Party? Jin, obviously. Possibly Katherine, at least as an observer. Atsali of course, and pickle. Mr. Meadows would make a fun pool float. heee!

The results? Fun for Jin, vindication for Atsali. Humiliation for the prude. Further humiliation for Jessie if she's there. (Mooooooom! What are you doing? Atsali is my... my... friend.) Satisfaction for Kath that the situation was handled and she didn't have to go full mom on the prude. Delight for everyone else at the pool to see the prude put in her place.

Still, I think it would be fun for Monica to enter in Jaguar Girl mode... Astral Fire and all with her Demon Posse (Doubt, Tsillah and maybe Nudge or Phix for good measure). Have her walk right over to Atsali and make over her loudly while looking DIRECTLY at Ms. Prude. No direct threats, just a smack in the back of the head to get her attention and let her know she really should keep her foot out of her mouth and her head out of her ass. Maybe it would be enough to have the entire gang there coincidentally, not through any contrivance.

Monica: Jin! (wild EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! ensues) What are you doing here?

Jin: Taking care of business! Watch this shit...

Atsali: (innocently loud, truly not having expected Monica to be there) Aunt Monica!!!! Tante Phix!!! What are you guys doing here?

Typical Wapsi Hilarity ensues...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Wdot wrote:I'm glad to see Stheno finally show up in the comic. She is going to be a deadpan snarker, I'm sure, because someone has to balance out the delight that is Euryale.
"Just the place for a Snark! I have said it twice:
That alone should encourage the crew.
Just the place for a Snark! I have said it thrice:
What I tell you three times is true."

And, if what's been written about Stheno is even halfway true, hers is a snark that nobody should dare to cross.

This Snark probably is a Boojum.
DilyV wrote:The cook, in the parlor, with a melon baller.
//chortle//

Gotta watch out for those deranged cooks with their specialized edged weapons. "There ees no diff-ar-ance!"
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

zachariah wrote:Greek Coffee, or Turkish Coffee (Greeks will wildly denounce that the way they make coffee cam from there though), is incredibly strong, thick and chewy. The closest thing we have in the US to it is cowboy coffee, which is where the coffee is thrown into a big kettle and heated all night long. Then a horseshoe is thrown into the pot. If the shoe sinks the coffee is left to cook. If the shoe floats it is good to drink. If the shoe dissolves it is perfect for waking the cowboys up. At that point an egg shell is thrown into the pot and will cause grounds to settle to the bottom and the coffee is served.
My brother and I both know that method. Our Ma taught us that, because Comanche Elders like a good kick in the morning, and anything less than coffee grounds getting the hell boiled out of them over a wood fire is not worth drinking straight. I like to call it "Comanche Kool-Aid"
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

I notice that she uses present tense when referring to Medusa. Hmmm.
eee wrote:Is it possible the demons can''t agree on what Tina should look like and are taking turns deciding on her appearance? That might explain this parade of styles.
Tina's demons seem to consist mainly of tentacles and skulls. Not much in the way of hair on them. They may just be confused as to what to do with the stuff, rather like how a human wouldn't be sure how to properly maintain feathers on a set of wings such as Atsali's.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Catawampus wrote:I notice that she uses present tense when referring to Medusa. Hmmm.
eee wrote:Is it possible the demons can''t agree on what Tina should look like and are taking turns deciding on her appearance? That might explain this parade of styles.
Tina's demons seem to consist mainly of tentacles and skulls. Not much in the way of hair on them. They may just be confused as to what to do with the stuff, rather like how a human wouldn't be sure how to properly maintain feathers on a set of wings such as Atsali's.
Huh. I wonder if Atsali molts?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote:Huh. I wonder if Atsali molts?
That might be one of those things that a proper gentleman doesn't ask a young siren.

Though at least if she's having a bad feather day, she can just make them all disappear.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

zachariah wrote:
So far there is no reason, or indication, for anyone else to be invited to the para pool war, doesn't that make a good title for a story. Sali and Pckle are going with Jin and they do not want witnesses, friends, for what is about to happen. If friends are there they are likely to interfere with what is going to happen to the complainer when Jin cuts loose on her. The complainer deserves what is about to happen to her and many of the cast would try and soften Jin's response. So only the second and third pools are valid.

1. Complainer - A self righteous women, from slightly, to as lot, overweight, plain, and single, or divorced.
2. Results - Massive verbal attack design to make the person feel smaller than a BB on the moon. Followed by having their morals, and intelligence, defamed and denounced to within an inch of their short lives.
I just had vision of Tina's response to meeting the complainer: HMmmm, glass of vinegar straight up with a dash of bitters and a lemon wedge. . .you don't see one of those every day. . .

*throws a copy of the bartenders guide into the pun jar*
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Is it me, or is Euryale even more jocular than usual?
Harassing the cranky sibling.
Required behaviour of younger (and older) siblings.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
ShirouZhiwu

Post by ShirouZhiwu »

Man, I miss coffee sometimes.