Meet Tomorrow 2014-12-30

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Re: Meet Tomorrow 2014-12-30

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

michaelbirks wrote:
meisdadoo wrote:Am I the only one that noticed Jacob's sister is a female Satyr named Randi . . .? :oops: :roll:
Still wouldn't put it past Himself, Himself to subvert the Satyr trope in the case of the female, if she even turns out to share his mytho-parentage.
"Randi takes her role as a satyr in stride..."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

michaelbirks wrote:
meisdadoo wrote:Am I the only one that noticed Jacob's sister is a female Satyr named Randi . . .? :oops: :roll:
Still wouldn't put it past Himself, Himself to subvert the Satyr trope in the case of the female, if she even turns out to share his mytho-parentage.
Well, if Jacob IS a satyr (with horns for some reason), then they're probably only 1/2 siblings being that there are no female satyrs. FAUNS on the other hand, have both males and females. And are half goat, as opposed to the satyrs who are half horse.

Sorry, one of the quirks of high-functioning autism is that this mistake REALLY bugs the hell out of me for whatever reason. High-functioning autism is still autism.

Side note related to the role-reversal thing: It's interesting just how many Lord of the Dead mythological figures happen to also be cultural heroes (and not in a weird horrible way) in the various Native American cultures. Some of them even helped with the creation of the world http://www.native-languages.org/rulers-dead.htm
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
michaelbirks

Post by michaelbirks »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
michaelbirks wrote:
Definitely a point, and certainly one about the mythotype. My apologies for missing that.

The definition of 'Role as a satyr', though, is still pending somewhat, especially as female satyrs appear to be ill-defined in the mythology, Greek or Roman, take your pick.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

michaelbirks wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:
michaelbirks wrote: Still wouldn't put it past Himself, Himself to subvert the Satyr trope in the case of the female, if she even turns out to share his mytho-parentage.
Definitely a point, and certainly one about the mythotype. My apologies for missing that.

The definition of 'Role as a satyr', though, is still pending somewhat, especially as female satyrs appear to be ill-defined in the mythology, Greek or Roman, take your pick.
There are additional differences between the Greek and the Roman versions. The Greek version are half horse and lacks horns (though Pan is half goat). The Roman version is half goat and DOES have horns.

At least Jacob isn't a Jipijka'm or any of the other horned-serpent monsters.
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

@gyrrakavian

..and, as an aspi myself, I feel obliged to point out that this comic is Paul's, and Paul's alone, and he can shape hís mythology as he likes. He can even mix-up Fauns and Satyrs, say, the parents of these siblings...

(Not) sorry, but knowitalls bug the hell outta me...
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I wasn't even one quarter into the lyrics when I thought to myself "Self?", I said... "Self?, thats gotta be tha Sarge..."

Well done man, well done.

btw- this whole Satyr thing can be cleaned up real quick like with a single scene at the Library with one showing the other
"see? heres where they got the whole thing mixed up, so nowadays we just go with it..."
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Jay-Em wrote:@gyrrakavian

..and, as an aspi myself, I feel obliged to point out that this comic is Paul's, and Paul's alone, and he can shape hís mythology as he likes. He can even mix-up Fauns and Satyrs, say, the parents of these siblings...

(Not) sorry, but knowitalls bug the hell outta me...

I understand that it is the author's to do with as he wishes. The gorgon thing was an interesting take on the original myth. I'm really not sure why the satyr-faun thing triggers my it-has-to-be-this-one-way compulsion and the turned to ice instead of stone doesn't.

Also, not trying to be a know-it-all. Sorry if it's coming off as such.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Ok where do you want the few thousand female satyrs I found???

I think grammar or semantics is the problem... Do tell, what is a female bull??? :D :D or a female goat??? :roll:
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

illiad wrote:Ok where do you want the few thousand female satyrs I found???
Nice but they are all contemporary art. Only one looks old enough to be from the time the myths began. That one when you look close is from now as well. So all those are art, or cosplay, not proof. Though if there were not female satyr's how did the breed keep going? Anyway paul can do as he likes so why not females.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Thor wrote:Let's see...he interrupts her before she is finished talking, jumps to conclusions, paints her with a broad brush, and then folds like a cheap suit.

Oh, yeah. He's a keeper alright. :roll:

I'm still waiting for any reason to be shown why I should like this guy at all. :|
1. Jacob jumping to that conclusion about being setup can be forgiven. He's been the victim of his sisters efforts to fix him up before. Nobody likes that kind of meddling, especially if you're the type that doesn't follow the herd! (Yes pun intended).

2. Given Sali's reaction everyone would duck for cover! That wasn't folding that was the better part of valor!

3. We don't know what he was actually going to say. Sali jumped to a conclusion about that. He was probably going to say "Get me dating as she's convinced I'm afraid of girls." Guys would not say "Get me experienced" to a girl, no matter what species they are. We may be dumb but we're not that dumb!

4. As to who will wear the pants in that pairing, Sali will. Satyr don't wear pants, they have fur. So like the bear twins they are naked all the time.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

Thor wrote:Let's see...he interrupts her before she is finished talking, jumps to conclusions, paints her with a broad brush, and then folds like a cheap suit.

I'm still waiting for any reason to be shown why I should like this guy at all. :|
You must be so fun at parties. Seriously your attitude towards Jacob, or almost any guy in the comic is almost toxic.

A. His sister has probably pulled this sort of thing before in the past, hell for all she knows Atsali is that kind of Siren. We've seen nothing to indicate that she knows very much about our blonde haired newly crowned main character other than enough to know she'd make her brother stammer and blush!

B. Everyone jumps to conclusions. Everyone. It might not be so drastic as it is here but it happens. In the paranormal world it's probably even more rampant. Vampires? Parasitic insects, and other than our two major examples for all we know they are horrible blood sucking monsters in most cases. Being in law enforcement positions hardly makes me think they're all perfect little angels. Same goes for Sirens, Atsali is our only example... She might be the exception. And here we've got another exception. A Satyr, whom is shy and would rather not go around being a horny goat.

Seriously you're picking him apart like a hungry vulture, I could do the very same thing with almost any other character in the comic. They all have faults.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Nope.

I don't recall anyone saying you should like him, but he's a part of the story now so - and I'm sorry if this is too blunt - either put up or shut up.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
CPUGuy1

Post by CPUGuy1 »

Yes :o ... Dating Made Easy :shock: ... Atsali Style. :lol:
Is The Earth On A Diet?
With just one million people losing weight,
so after each one had lost 'one pound' ...
will the earth weigh 1,000,000 pounds less?
eee

Post by eee »

And Atsali defines the perimeters of their relationship, right from the get go!

I hadn't realized Jacob had such muscular arms. I wonder if he lifts, or if that's natural to a male satyr. I also wonder what he and Randi look like in their normal forms.

Is there any male in the Wapsiverse that meets with your approval? :shock:
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Ok - so how do you distinguish a female satyr from a female faun?

Eww. Never mind.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

*snrk Randi! That was a good one. Good thing the Author/illustrator is exempt from the Pun Vault! ;)
Okay. on to other important things: sa·tyr/ˈsatər,ˈsātər/noun
1.one of a class of lustful, drunken woodland gods. In Greek art they were represented as a man with a horse's ears and tail, but in Roman representations as a man with a goat's ears, tail, legs, and horns.bold mine.
2.a satyrid butterfly with chiefly dark brown wings.

A siren is going out with a satyr; both of them are teenagers. One is literally horny. This is going to end well. Or blow the doors off of any preconceived notions... :lol:
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Atomic wrote:Ok - so how do you distinguish a female satyr from a female faun?

Eww. Never mind.
One of them will fawn on you. [drop a Bambi action figure into the Jar]

Anyone wonder what Nadette and Randi are doing in the back room? Nadette likes girls. Satyrs are not really all that gender specific in behavior. The two have known each other for awhile. So what type of honey is Nadette getting right now? As the song said, "Everyone Bee Happy!"

Drop a honey comb into the jar. Oops it got stuck in the opening!!!

I see the problem. Someone tossed a cricket set in before me. Now this is a sticky wicket indeed!
Last edited by zachariah on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

Gyrrakavian wrote:Ahw...... And he's been so good with the mythologies so far. Satyrs don't have horns (they're 1/2 horse), so he'd be a faun (1/2 goat and with goat horns) or a descendant of Pan (also 1/2 goat).
Roman Mythology satyrs have horns, goat legs, and a large penis. Greek Mythology satyrs have horse ears, human legs, a large penis, and a horse tail. Both were depicted as lustful and sexually forward. Not to worry, I know my Mythology inside and out.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Wapsi wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:Ahw...... And he's been so good with the mythologies so far. Satyrs don't have horns (they're 1/2 horse), so he'd be a faun (1/2 goat and with goat horns) or a descendant of Pan (also 1/2 goat).
Roman Mythology satyrs have horns, goat legs, and a large penis. Greek Mythology satyrs have horse ears, human legs, a large penis, and a horse tail. Both were depicted as lustful and sexually forward. Not to worry, I know my Mythology inside and out.
Yes indeed you have. Also as the author you are allowed to change anything about it as well. But I am impressed in all the different mythos based characters and types you have used. The only one I haven't seen is anyone from the kalevala.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

illiad wrote:Ok where do you want the few thousand female satyrs I found???:roll:
I'll give you the address via PM... but I need time to assemble a few camera crews and deck out the place appropriately...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.