Far Out 2014-09-12

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Re: Far Out 2014-09-12

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:I dont doubt that its doubt but i am not sure whos.
You mjssed a few: You don't doubt that it's Doubt, but you undoubtedly have doubts as to whose Doubt that Doubt is.
Just call her Lady Noseflick, and be done with it! :lol:
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

After all these years Monicas finally having FUN with her demons. ....and Freakin' the crap outta a whole new generation. :D
and YES that is Monicas' DOUBT. Not so scary now are ya when M has the reigns.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

She is most likely known among demon circles as HER Doubt.

As in, "The Demon Shepherd's Doubt."

And she is most likely spoken of in whispers - "SHE is the one who gets to push around the JAGUAR GIRL!"
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Aed

Post by Aed »

jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"You should tell yourself, 'It's just a show, I should probably relax...'"
;)
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

How much doubt could Monica's Doubt doubt if Monica's Doubt could doubt doubt.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Hanineal

Post by Hanineal »

We're all Doubtless right!
What happens in the lab needs to stay in the lab... because it's such a bloody drag to have to rebuild civilization all over again.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I don't doubt it at all. ;)
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

And on that note i dont doubt we will all have a great weekend with doubtless more discussions the outcome of which is still in doubt.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Ok who left the door open?

Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
eee

Post by eee »

The Princess' bowel and bladder control is really being tested... At least we know she doesn't have any fire or blast spells at hand or Doubt's pants would be on fire again. If she wore pants.

She's VERY large these days. Monica's not as confidant as she appears.

It's interesting, though, that Fae have demons as well. I thought they were mainly a human plague.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

You could get that impression from http://wapsisquare.com/comic/took-liberties/. I sure did.

"The demons began settling in to what they determined were an intelligent enough creature. One that had developed past the rest of the animal kingdom."

Right. But, on the same page: "Demons took liberty with each new sentient creature they discovered." (Emphasis mine.)

But then, we're right back to humans: "Sphinxes would ask humans riddles to weed out humans infected with rogues." "And kill the human to get to the demons." (Ditto.)

Later development makes it clear that Fae, at least, are among those with whom demons "took liberty". So now I'm wondering if Sphinxes hunted down rogue demons in Fae as well, and if not, why not.

... and I'm still wondering just what "rogue" and "infected" mean here, and if that meaning has changed, since obviously the Sphinxes are not hunting down, say, Georgette's demons ...
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
loxmyth

Post by loxmyth »

I sometimes wish my own personal demons *were* real creatures I could isolate and blame. Alas, I have to own them...
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

First let me point out they are not in the Library, they are still in Crickets Demon Space. There was no whoosh or transition out of it. So the background changed to match what they expected. I would put it on Monica for that as she is in control of Demon Space.

Second is we can't be sure who that demon is or who it belongs to but it is not Monica's doubt. Monica's doubt was taken and kept by the GG girls. Then later Jin cast doubt out and disposed of it somewhere. So this is not Monica's doubt.http://wapsisquare.com/comic/upset/ As far as I know doubt never came back.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

zachariah wrote:First let me point out they are not in the Library, they are still in Crickets Demon Space. There was no whoosh or transition out of it. So the background changed to match what they expected. I would put it on Monica for that as she is in control of Demon Space.
Nope. They're in the Library. Demon space is not a location - it's something you enter FROM a location - so Cricket came to meet Monica in what looks like an abandoned building, which would be the Minneapolis Libary Annex entry. Monica moved them to Demon Space from inside the Library.
Second is we can't be sure who that demon is or who it belongs to but it is not Monica's doubt. Monica's doubt was taken and kept by the GG girls. Then later Jin cast doubt out and disposed of it somewhere. So this is not Monica's doubt.http://wapsisquare.com/comic/upset/ As far as I know doubt never came back.
That's not Monica's Doubt in that 2005 page - that's Jin's Doubt - look at the hair and eyes. And Monica's Doubt was around long after that -the manifestation of her new power (nose flicks) came after the destruction of the Calendar Machine (where Doubt was helping to brace Monica against the impacts of things being sucked into the demon realm), in pages from 2010.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Skruddgemire

Post by Skruddgemire »

My2Cents wrote:Remember how Doubt use to look? http://wapsisquare.com/comic/01182005/
Personal demons and their interaction can change over time. Monica's Doubt is more of a confidant now.

This is probably what she is trying to teach Calista. Notice also how Monica's early Doubt resembles the one Calista was cornered by at the end. That may be Calista's version of Doubt.
As doubt *should* be. Properly controlled, one's doubt is the voice that whispers "did you turn off the oven?" after you get comfy under the blanket on the sofa to watch your favorite movie. It's the voice that says "You might want to re-check the packing job on your chute one more time" before getting on the plane. It's the voice that whispers these concerns and doubts to make sure that you've covered everything.

It is supposed to be a confidant. In fact, one of her early dealings with her demons, doubt actually got in M's face and said that.

Before M got control over herself and her demons, Her doubt had grown out of control. So much so that doubt was taking over. It had too much power.
Dave

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:Second is we can't be sure who that demon is or who it belongs to but it is not Monica's doubt. Monica's doubt was taken and kept by the GG girls. Then later Jin cast doubt out and disposed of it somewhere. So this is not Monica's doubt.http://wapsisquare.com/comic/upset/ As far as I know doubt never came back.
Unless I'm extremely mistaken, your recollection of the history of the various Doubts is very faulty... I don't know why you're so all-fired certain that Monica's Doubt is gone.  She isn't.  

As I recall, it was Jin's Doubt who was the rogue "queen" who was behind the whole scheme to turn Monica into a permanent demon "doorway".  She showed up again (at the very least) during the big Calendar Machine smackdown fight in the temple and tried to prevent Bud from closing the gateway.

Monica's Doubt showed up shortly thereafter, and helped Bud and Shelly send the Queen permanently back to the Demon Dimension.

Monica's Doubt returned after the dust settled, reported that the Queen and other rogue demons had been disciplined, and described the "amendment" to the demon rules which now permitted her (and all other Doubts) to nose-flick their human hosts at will.

Consensus seems to be that it was Doubt who initially dissuaded Suzie from approaching Monica and introducing herself.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
zachariah wrote:First let me point out they are not in the Library, they are still in Crickets Demon Space. There was no whoosh or transition out of it. So the background changed to match what they expected. I would put it on Monica for that as she is in control of Demon Space.
Nope. They're in the Library. Demon space is not a location - it's something you enter FROM a location - so Cricket came to meet Monica in what looks like an abandoned building, which would be the Minneapolis Libary Annex entry. Monica moved them to Demon Space from inside the Library.
That's not Monica's Doubt in that 2005 page - that's Jin's Doubt - look at the hair and eyes. And Monica's Doubt was around long after that -the manifestation of her new power (nose flicks) came after the destruction of the Calendar Machine (where Doubt was helping to brace Monica against the impacts of things being sucked into the demon realm), in pages from 2010.
That is Monica's Doubt Jin is talking to and getting rid of.
Here Monica deals with her doubt and makes it run away. http://wapsisquare.com/comic/01252005/
Here the GG girls find Monica's doubt and take it. http://wapsisquare.com/comic/01272005/
Later Monica's doubt tries to escape the GG and Bud ends up putting it into Jin. http://wapsisquare.com/comic/01272005/ This arc runs until where Jin poits Monica's doubt away.

Doubt did not return until after the calendar was taken care of with the nose flick news. I missed that one.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Aed wrote:MY BRAIN HURTS!

:lol:
THE ONE IN ME HEAD!