Time For A Break 2014-09-11

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
illiad

Re: Time For A Break 2014-09-11

Post by illiad »

KnightDelight wrote:Well, this doesn't seem like it would be all that effective. Stopping it like that for a time out and all. Cricket would soon realize it's all staged and simply become immune to it. She can just stand there, letting whatever do whatever to her, and wait until a given section is finished. She's been let in on the joke now and knows she is not really being locked up for good.
that may be the point??? if you ignore the demons, they have no effect on you... :)
eee

Post by eee »

Tidy up the Confusion Corner; there's a Princess coming.

(I don't know. Giving food and drink to someone engaged in serious struggle and emotional upset seems like it might raise the risk of projectile vomiting. But this IS Monica's show, she may know better.)
KnightDelight wrote:Well, this doesn't seem like it would be all that effective. Stopping it like that for a time out and all. Cricket would soon realize it's all staged and simply become immune to it. She can just stand there, letting whatever do whatever to her, and wait until a given section is finished. She's been let in on the joke now and knows she is not really being locked up for good.
Ah, but it's not a joke or staged production. Monica has ripped the cover off and is showing Calista her demons in action, trying to influence and control her, and the means they use to do it. She's trying to elevate her to the same level of self knowledge she has. If she can do that, Cricket will be much more in control of herself, as long as she remembers the lesson.

Which may be why Monica is making this so dramatic. Kind of hard to forget horrible monsters trying to imprison you.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

illiad wrote:
that may be the point??? if you ignore the demons, they have no effect on you... :)
"One thing I must always remember about my demons. If I don't do exactly as they say, as they wish... they become totally, completely, harmless."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Depends on what Monica's objective is. This appears to be training in self control over her demons. These are her greatest fear and their inner whisperings have a large effect on Cricket. They can, and will, cause her to do things she shouldn't under their urging. Like doubt manipulated Monica. To master the demons you have to recognize what they are and what they are doing. Now if Cricket was just left to fend off the demons without respite they would overcome her right now. So Monica has been monitoring the session and calling a break so Cricket can catch her breath so to speak. Like training a boxer you just don't put them in a ring and let them get pounded on. You have short sparing sessions and then provide pointers so they can learn. If there was no break all they learn is how to get hit. Now will MOnica explain this or wait for Cricket to figure it out.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Graymalkin

Post by Graymalkin »

Thanks, now I'm going to have to go to Dunkin Donuts for one or two of their pretzel twists -- the closest thing to a proper soft pretzel that's conveniently located. (Auntie Anne's pretzels always make me nauseous, so that's a no-go.)

Melted cheese dip would be nice, but I'll settle for deli mustard.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

So "Punky" is one of the Demons? or did Cricket just get a new nickname.

And now Cricket is starting to understand what it means to be the demon Shepard. the are not to be feared, they are just sheep. Not monsters, just kind, timid little sheep. . . Once you get over being afraid of them, they have no control over you.

Or as it was explained to me, Emotions are controlled by chemicals in the bloodstream. This is why people get cranky when they are hungry, fell better after exercise/sex, etc. And every 28 days there is a drastic change in the chemicals which causes the lining of the uterus to . . . ." (This is where I kinda spaced out because pictures. . .---and I was like 12) "...and so you see they are not possessed by demons, they just have a chemical imbalance which will self correct in a few days.
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
illiad

Post by illiad »

jwhouk: thanks for the link! :) 8-) If a 'text description' could be provided (pretty please, paul... :E :heart: ) to all previous pages, it would sure help finding the one you want!!
(and also get more fans from the blind community! :) )
eg: http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/201 ... available/

and it gets bad when you are then distracted, and begin reading old ones, :roll: "is that the time??? should have gone to bed hours ago.... :/"
analyst

Post by analyst »

meisdadoo wrote:So "Punky" is one of the Demons? or did Cricket just get a new nickname.
Brewster? My bet is on the diminutive for Pumpkin?
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

analyst wrote:
meisdadoo wrote:So "Punky" is one of the Demons? or did Cricket just get a new nickname.
Brewster? My bet is on the diminutive for Pumpkin?
Actually, that would make sense to call the demon that: short for cyberpunk or Steampunk, perhaps? To me, it makes more sense to tell the demon to take a time-out, while she calms Calista, than to tell Calista to take a time-out, while the demon continues to try to cage her, because she won't be able to take a time-out, then...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Just noticed the windows in the background of the last panel... that looks like the characteristic Bia/Lanthis glyph-shape in the framing. Cricket and Monica may have been in Cricket's demon quantum-space for a while there, but I think they're back in the Library now.

♬ They get around... ♪♫
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

One's perception (and shape) of their inner demons seems to evolve over time. Monica may be engaging Calista in exercises that would allow her to reshape her perception of her inner demons into less threatening and more advisory roles, allowing Calista a broader range of responses in a situation. At the moment her only options seem to be fight or flight.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

captnq wrote:I just can't help but keep thinking back to the conversation back at the cafeteria and how wigged out Cricket was. All I can see is her standing there, taking a step back, then hair pins spinning in the air all WB Cartoon-like as she bolts. Of course Monica teleports to catch up which just makes Cricket run even faster. I think Cricket would rather be dead then be trapped again.
If so, she will probably find this is an small enclosed non-Euclidian space. i.e. no matter which direction she runs, she finds Monica. Repeatedly.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Skywatcher68

Post by Skywatcher68 »

Dave wrote:Just noticed the windows in the background of the last panel... that looks like the characteristic Bia/Lanthis glyph-shape in the framing. Cricket and Monica may have been in Cricket's demon quantum-space for a while there, but I think they're back in the Library now.
I think so, too. I also think that if Cricket takes off, she'll jump right into a Gorgon with a penchant for hugging.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Meanwhile, I'm going to go shopping for a box of Superpretzel brand frozen soft pretzels to toss onto my Pizzazz Pizza Oven. Maybe heat up that leftover stew from the other night, and make a pot of green tea. I just bought a new copy of Walk Hard, and that sounds like my plans for the evening.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

"Coffee break's over - back on your heads!"
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:"Coffee break's over - back on your heads!"
And here i thought i was the only one that kept hearing old jokes play out in my head when reading comics and posts.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
dex drako

Post by dex drako »

what does it say about me that I find the mechanical demon really hot? ... :oops: lol
Aed

Post by Aed »

oldmanmickey wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:"Coffee break's over - back on your heads!"
And here i thought i was the only one that kept hearing old jokes play out in my head when reading comics and posts.
... and old music. :P
Dave wrote: ♬ They get around... ♪♫
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

dex drako wrote:what does it say about me that I find the mechanical demon really hot? ... :oops: lol
I think it says that you are mechanically inclined in an engineering way (and just a little strange (ya weirdo)) :twisted:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
JSStryker

Post by JSStryker »

Hmm I think I may have to hit Gus' here in St Louis for a dozen of their soft pretzels tomorrow on my way home from the VA. I already have Schweppes Ginger Ale in the fridge.
Vive la weird!