The Right Thing 2014-09-04

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Atomic

The Right Thing 2014-09-04

Post by Atomic »

Dun dun DUNNNNNN.....
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Opus the Poet

Re: The Right Thing 2014-09-04

Post by Opus the Poet »

Ninja'd by seconds again.

Castela was perfect.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Kath may be made of six people but Castela is the one who seems to have a dual personality switching between spastic youngster and wise sagebrush.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

That first panel Sounded Ominous ... but the rest sort of calmed my fears.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Aed

Post by Aed »

Castela has a new nick-name, Sweet Pea. :D
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Give the kid a fresh brownie, and a cold glass of milk. She did good.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Total Non-Sequitur, but... What kind of construction is that wall? to me it looks like it is either a poured concrete wall that the little "button" looking things in the grid-like pattern are from where the form boards were held in place to the re-bar inside the wall and the seams between the individual boards are the lines we see... either that or they are padded panels that have the buttons where they sewed the front surface to the backing board inside it, to prevent the stuffing from falling to the bottom of the panel...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

I'm still going to wait to hear from/about Suzie before I relax my breathing completely here.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

5000 years of believing you are all alone in the world and that everything you ever loved had been destroyed is not something you just "get over" in a few months, even when confronted with a daughter you thought had been dead for five millennia.

Lily's entire self identity is built around assumptions, facts, that have been shown to be untrue. She's been suffering the same crisis of faith that a devoutly religious person would when confronted with irrefutable proof that what they believed is untrue. She basically has to rebuild her self identity around the idea that one of her children survived and that she has a family that cares about her.

Lily is quite possibly the most tortured character in Wapsi Square. Even the Golem Girls were able to achieve some amount of Justice and have made peace with their past. Lily only recently got anything resembling a just resolution and even then, she is mostly someone who has spent her unlife trying to save others from the darkness she lives in. Except that now, she has a chance to live in the light, and it's been so long since she felt hope that it actually hurts.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Yeah, That did sound Ominous at first. Like when I was told "Goodbye" instead of goodnight from a co-worker who then went home and...well, you can guess the rest. Sorry 'bout that. Sounds like Lily isn't quite ready for the 'Ozzie and Harriett'-type family life style....yet. Plus I think our little bespectacled,(nice touch BTW) freckled little Vamp is alright. CONFUSED, but alright.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

scantrontb wrote:Total Non-Sequitur, but... What kind of construction is that wall? to me it looks like it is either a poured concrete wall that the little "button" looking things in the grid-like pattern are from where the form boards were held in place to the re-bar inside the wall and the seams between the individual boards are the lines we see... either that or they are padded panels that have the buttons where they sewed the front surface to the backing board inside it, to prevent the stuffing from falling to the bottom of the panel...

Thanks to scars on the surface in front of Castela's face in the third panel I would say it is standard precast concrete panels like in older warehouses (The feeling I have always gotten from images in their home is that it is most likely a refurbished and re-purposed warehouse).
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Yes, some of the walls are definitely "industrial" while others are more "homey". Lots of exposed brick and concrete with other walls that look like... walls.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

The industrial stairs you can see in the background of panel one indicate the same to me.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

shadowinthelight wrote:Kath may be made of six people but Castela is the one who seems to have a dual personality switching between spastic youngster and wise sagebrush.
It may be more that she just says what she thinks as she sees things, rather than muddying things up by considering what ought to be said instead.
scantrontb wrote:Total Non-Sequitur, but... What kind of construction is that wall? to me it looks like it is either a poured concrete wall that the little "button" looking things in the grid-like pattern are from where the form boards were held in place to the re-bar inside the wall and the seams between the individual boards are the lines we see... either that or they are padded panels that have the buttons where they sewed the front surface to the backing board inside it, to prevent the stuffing from falling to the bottom of the panel...
Looks like it might be poured concrete, with the ends of the steel reinforcing bars showing.

I do wonder about the place where they are living; it seems very industrial.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

shadowinthelight wrote:Kath may be made of six people but Castela is the one who seems to have a dual personality switching between spastic youngster and wise sagebrush.
Nope that was all a 5 or 6 year old. They tend to take what you say literally. So she did not understand what Lily was really talking about at all. But she did pick up on the not ready and connected it to waiting for someone else to be ready to go somewhere. When you are waiting you stay put until everyone is ready and then go. So she replied okay. We'll be here when you're ready. A standard answer when asked to wait for someone. Beyond that she doesn't have a clue. But Kathy does and reassured Castela she done did good. Parents are supposed to do that without explaining something the child is not ready to understand yet and confuse the child more.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Sometimes kids are able to say exactly the right thing without knowing they've done so. Kids often have no filters, just doing or saying what feels right in certain situations... Good job Castela... =)
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Well done, little one. Very well done. :)
Aed wrote:Castela has a new nick-name, Sweet Pea. :D
It works on more than one level, too. :) Obviously "sweet pea" is a plant (a vine too!), but since her nickname before this was Pickle, Castela's also a sweet 'p' (short for Pickle). :P Okay...so maybe I'm stretching a bit with that, but we call our little beagle "Sweet Pea" (or maybe more accurately "Sweet P") all the time...and it's because her name is Pepper.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Julie wrote:Well done, little one. Very well done. :)
Aed wrote:Castela has a new nick-name, Sweet Pea. :D
It works on more than one level, too. :) Obviously "sweet pea" is a plant (a vine too!), but since her nickname before this was Pickle, Castela's also a sweet 'p' (short for Pickle). :P Okay...so maybe I'm stretching a bit with that, but we call our little beagle "Sweet Pea" (or maybe more accurately "Sweet P") all the time...and it's because her name is Pepper.
I thought that it might be because she had a continence problem due to being diabetic.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Aed

Post by Aed »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: I thought that it might be because she had a continence problem due to being diabetic.
To the showers (golden or otherwise) with you!
Aed

Post by Aed »

Before adopting Atsali and Castela, Katherine lived in an apartment. Now it appears that she has much more spacious accommodations. As noted, the new place does have an industrial look to it. I can't figure out if Paul has a definite floor plan that he is using as a set for his story telling or if he has some basic architectural ideas and draws what ever seems to fit the situation regardless of continuity with other strips.

What do you think?