Grandma Lily 2014-09-03

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

Re: Grandma Lily 2014-09-03

Post by lake_wrangler »

I am amazed at how close to it I got:
On Friday, Aug. 29, 9:43am, lake_wrangler wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:Only way to top this hug is for Katherine to take over.
That's what I was thinking, myself. I can picture Pratt and McBride at Katherine's doorstep, with Suzie starting to rattle off some explanation for being there, while Lily just breaks down and hugs Katherine in the biggest, strongest hug she's ever had. The hug may or may not be reciprocated right away.

In fact, I don't think it would be good for either one to willfully and actively ignore each other for long.
We don't see Suzie, and it's quite possible she's not there. The first hug comes from Castela, but another one from Katherine might still be in the wings...

Love the Para-safety door concept... not sure if it's to keep paranormals out, or to keep normals form finding out about paranormals (where does that open to?), but it's a neat and somewhat amusing concept nevertheless.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

It opens to the Welcome Mat - the landing zone for Library VORPs.

Which is in a Very Strong chamber and the Very Strong door is the only way out.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Dave wrote:
zachariah wrote:
Dave wrote:I think it's time for some healing and reconciliation (or "overdue recognition and acknowledgment") for Grandma Lily!

Better late than never! :D :cry: :D
Healing yes. Reconciliation no. What do they have to reconcile about they have never had a falling out or been angry at each other?
I didn't say "reconciliation between Lily and Katherine" - you're right, they've never fought that we know of.

I said "reconciliation... for Lily". I was referring to an internal reconciliation... reconciling her feelings about who she is and what her life has been and meant, with the external reality and the current situation.

If you go back and read Friday's strip, you'll see Lily clinging almost desperately to her old pain and self image... "My daughter... all my children... were taken from me! I died alone! You can't make it better! Don't try! Don't hug me!" Her pain and loss and fatal alone-ness have become a huge part of how she defines herself...

... and that, I think, is why recent events have put her so much into a tailspin. Learning that one of her children did survive, and that she's actually a grandmother (a role she's thought for 5000 years had been ripped out of possibility by murder) has shaken her enforced self-image to the core. Suzie was right... Lily's distress wasn't primarily from fear of the apex paranormals... it's because Lily no longer knows "who she is".

What she has to do now, is reconcile her old persona (ancient vampire, scorned by most paranormals, lost everything that meant anything, roots ripped out, utterly without family) with the new truth (ancient vampire, defended by a demigod, treated with respect by a sphinx, with a living and most worthy human daughter, two lovely adoptive granddaughters, and a welcoming role as grandmother... and perhaps mother?... offered to her). These two realities... old internal self-image, and new external situation... are what Lily must now reconcile. She has to decide "Who is Lily" all over again. She has to decide whether "moving on" would somehow be disloyal to her memory of her three other children who did not survive.

Donaldson's character Thomas Covenant once said "There's only one way to hurt a man who has lost everything. Give him something back, broken." That's not quite what Lily is facing here... but she's been "given something back, changed." Katherine survived, and she's turned out to be a loving and kick-ass-wonderful woman, but is certainly not what Lily's daughter would have been if not for the Nu Gui's plotting. So, it's a tough situation for Lily... she has to reconcile her feelings for the Katherine-who-is, vs. the daughter-who-might-have-been.

There's a new future here for Lily, waiting to be born... but as G'kar wrote, new futures are always born in pain.
I don't know that i would call M a demigod. more like a living god since the jaguar girl predated the know universe. Now Castela i would say is a demigod with her power level ( which the thought of her going through puberty is enough to give nightmares). We also don't know if Lily had kids other than the babies, Paul hasn't said.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

AmriloJim wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:Here you can have the one off my cell. It does have the habit of causing conversations to go off on some wild tangents.
Take my autocomplete, please! [rimshot and apologies to Mr. Youngman]
Not only does it insist that "damn" is spelled "darn." it thinks I live in a town called "sawmill."
It's a T-Mobile Concord by ZTE... low-end Android. To call it a piece of shit is a grave insult to fecal matter everywhere.
Yea i got a low end POS to. It is good though for comic relief. The way it pronounces some words.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
WilliamCA

Post by WilliamCA »

Damnit Paul! Stop trying to make me cry!
Aed

Post by Aed »

kingklash wrote:Hugbees!
Any relation to Glory Bees?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

oldmanmickey wrote:I don't know that i would call M a demigod. more like a living god since the jaguar girl predated the know universe.
She isn't. She's a sub-Titan. That's actually somewhere between Titan and god(dess)-hood.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:I don't know that i would call M a demigod. more like a living god since the jaguar girl predated the know universe.
She isn't. She's a sub-Titan. That's actually somewhere between Titan and god(dess)-hood.
Monica described herself as a demigod (which is why I used the term in my comments). Who am I to argue with Monica's self-image? ;)

I don't think we know enough about Wapsiverse paranormal terminology to know whether "sub-Titan" and "demigod" are mutually-exclusive classes (one more powerful than the other). It's also possible that "demigod" is a broad term for "beings somewhat less powerful than a true god, but much more powerful than any mortal" of which "sub-Titan" is one example. If the latter is true, Monica could qualify with either description.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Dave wrote: There's a new future here for Lily, waiting to be born... but as G'kar wrote, new futures are always born in pain.
Well it seems the pain has been ongoing for thousands of years and we are witnessing the final parts of the delivery. The future will also have pain of course since she can possibly live long enough to witness many grandchildren (Great and otherwise and Katherine is still young enough to maybe have one herself) being born and dying in that time. It is one of the things I have always thought of as a hazard of immortality. (Great choice of quotes by the way)
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

While I don't think anything untoward has happened, I'm hoping we'll be quickly assured of Suzies status and well being. Lilys emotional state was very unstable in that last beach scene and she was very emphatic in her warn offs. (And she wasn't hugging Suzie back.) Now Lily is here and alone. There is potential for some less than pleasant intervening events here and I would not rule them out until we hear from our missing agent.

So far the scene works just as well with a completely broken Lily fleeing the scene of an emotionally driven crime to bid farewell to her last grasp of rational hope ( a grandchild) before destroying herself. (Just as an example, I'm not saying that I think this is what's happening either.)
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

I don't think you have to worry, Suzy is more powerful than Lily.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

KnightDelight wrote:The what door now? It must be designed to hold something out. Which makes me wonder why she would just open it so casually? What good is it if the members of the household just treat it like a regular door
It is probably a portal system, probably through/from The Library given the relationship with Phix. The locks are to keep just anyone from wandering in by accident. Some beings cannot resist seeing what is beyond an unlocked door.
Given past dialog like Lily saying she ate people smarter than the helicopter crew back in Kath and Atsali's Excellent Adventure would tend to indicate they fed on humans. For paranormals dedicated to keeping humans safe, that would be a big no-no. Same for Susi eating prisoners. Eating the dregs of society pretty much made her a bottom feeder right there. In 5000 years I feel sure Lily has also consumed a better class of human on occasions too numerous to keep track of. No matter what, if she ate only one person a week, that would still add up to hundreds of thousands. Keeping herself going at the cost of hundreds of thousands, if not millions of lives is pretty much selfish period. Doesn't matter what class of human it was. That's all assuming she didn't eat animals most of the time. We don't even know if they can survive on animals. Indications are they eat only human blood now anyway.
Not the dregs of society, but the scum. http://wapsisquare.com/comic/the-only-thing/ indicates that not just anyone, but someone grossly guilty by some kind of universal standard is needed. That would probably indicate also that they could go a long time between meals, back when the global population was less than 300 million (1,000 AD) they would have been hard pressed in most areas to come up with a meal per month. Maybe they can just shut down and hibernate for a few years until the scent of a meal wakes them up. Nowadays, with internet search capability and fast transport, a few vampires could keep very active and well fed. Ever wonder why so many serial killers just seem to disappear one day and are never heard from again?

Historically the Garbage Men were considered untouchables in most societies.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Dave wrote: There's a new future here for Lily, waiting to be born... but as G'kar wrote, new futures are always born in pain.
Not very often someone makes a Babylon-5 reference. Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor WHO, but not B-5. 8-)
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

TheDOCTOR wrote:
Not very often someone makes a Babylon-5 reference. Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor WHO, but not B-5. 8-)
We tend to have a higher caliber of geek here (well .... at least an older caliber :roll: )
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Not very often someone makes a Babylon-5 reference. Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor WHO, but not B-5. 8-)
Another good series. Man, the Vorlons would go bonkers over your name... [vorlon] Who are You?[/vorlon]... you answer "Yes, I'm Dr. Who".. and they're like, [vorlon]No, Who are you![/vorlon]... i could see it playing out almost like the Abbot and Costello "Who's on First" skit...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

scantrontb wrote:
TheDOCTOR wrote:Not very often someone makes a Babylon-5 reference. Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor WHO, but not B-5. 8-)
Another good series. Man, the Vorlons would go bonkers over your name... [vorlon] Who are You?[/vorlon]... you answer "Yes, I'm Dr. Who".. and they're like, [vorlon]No, Who are you![/vorlon]... i could see it playing out almost like the Abbot and Costello "Who's on First" skit...

I can see that being pulled on Robot Chicken (anybody know Seth Green???)
AnotherFairportfan

Waybackwhen, the first time the BBC attempted to create a Sara Jane/K9 series, also featuring a kid sidekick - Sara Jane's 12-year-old cousin - the kid was something of a geek, and he was trying to figure out where K9 came from (among other things):

KID: All right - Who is the Doctor?

K9: Affirmative.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Waybackwhen, the first time the BBC attempted to create a Sara Jane/K9 series, also featuring a kid sidekick - Sara Jane's 12-year-old cousin - the kid was something of a geek, and he was trying to figure out where K9 came from (among other things):

KID: All right - Who is the Doctor?

K9: Affirmative.
Was that K-9 and Company where they over-redesigned the poor thing??
AnotherFairportfan

That's the one - i kind of sorta thought that was the title, but i wasn't sure.

====================

The two greatest K9 moments ever both come in the "School Reuinion"

"We are sitting in a car..."

and

"Forget the shooty dog thing..." (delivered in Tony Head's most world-weary tone)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Drakkenmensch wrote:Hugs are wonderful. Hugs heal so much hurt. The world needs more hugs!
Euryale? Is that you?