Friends Of Jugs 2014-07-01

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
shadowinthelight

Friends Of Jugs 2014-07-01

Post by shadowinthelight »

Looks like the Princess is rapidly assembling her court.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Aed

Re: Friends Of Jugs 2014-07-01

Post by Aed »

:)

Wikipedia has some interesting information on Foxglove under the plant's scientific name, Digitalis. Consider the following from the article:

"It happens, moreover, the name foxglove is a very ancient one and exists in a list of plants as old as the time of Edward III. The "folks" of our ancestors were the fairies and nothing is more likely than that the pretty coloured bells of the plant would be designated "folksgloves," afterwards, "foxglove." In Wales it is declared to be a favourite lurking-place of the fairies, who are said to occasion a snapping sound when children, holding one end of the digitalis bell, suddenly strike the other on the hand to hear the clap of fairy thunder, with which the indignant fairy makes her escape from her injured retreat."

Interesting, yes? :geek:
Dave

Post by Dave »

Aed wrote:"In Wales it is declared to be a favourite lurking-place of the fairies, who are said to occasion a snapping sound when children, holding one end of the digitalis bell, suddenly strike the other on the hand to hear the clap of fairy thunder, with which the indignant fairy makes her escape from her injured retreat."

Interesting, yes? :geek:
Yes... although I suspect that striking this particular foxglove, in order to elicit the sound of thunder, would be decidedly dangerous to one's health and welfare. Kinda like going from a gentle breeze, straight to an EF5 tornado.

(oddly, the main home page doesn't seem to have updated... I had to chase archive links. Stale cache somehere I suppose.)
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Thee is no harm in knowing Calista. I know a wide range of rather unusual people. The problem is her dominant attitude and manner. Being very forceful she will lead, or drag, any group that forms around her. Somehow I don't see this group really coming together. Sali might continue ti hang around but I think the bears will become polite but standoffish. The bear twins are used to keeping a low profile and avoiding trouble. Sali has yet to learn that this is a good thing to learn.

Only attract attention when you need to.The tallest nail gets hit first.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

zachariah wrote:Only attract attention when you need to.The tallest nail gets hit first.
Well, that won't be Cricket, that's for sure... on multiple counts! 1) she's the shortest, 2)shes Royalty and in this world probably most important 3)shes Fae... one of the things that i foresee is problems when Gotlieb and Cricket butt heads over who's the Queen Bee at the school, with Atsali in the middle of it all...
Last edited by scantrontb on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

scantrontb wrote:
zachariah wrote:Only attract attention when you need to.The tallest nail gets hit first.
Well, that won't be Cricket, that's for sure... on multiple count,! she's the shortest, shes Royalty and in this world probably most important shes Fae... one of the things that i foresee is problems when Gotlieb and Cricket butt heads over who's the Queen Bee at the school, with Atsali in the middle of it all...
Ooooohh I forgot about Gottlieb... that one might be fun to watch as they sort out the pecking order... and I think that Berdine and Nadette will see the wisdom of being on the right side of this little force if nature...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

DilyV wrote:
scantrontb wrote:
Well, that won't be Cricket, that's for sure... on multiple count,! she's the shortest, shes Royalty and in this world probably most important shes Fae... one of the things that i foresee is problems when Gotlieb and Cricket butt heads over who's the Queen Bee at the school, with Atsali in the middle of it all...
Ooooohh I forgot about Gottlieb... that one might be fun to watch as they sort out the pecking order... and I think that Berdine and Nadette will see the wisdom of being on the right side of this little force if nature...
While they will stay on the right side, meaning not make her an enemy, I am not sure they will join a group around Cricket. They are not really with any group from what we have seen. they just go about their lives and don't get hassled. So what reason would they have to join a group around Cricket? From what we've seen of Cricket her group will keep things interesting, maybe not in the best way. While they like Sali and are friends with her and won't need to join to keep that.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
analyst

Post by analyst »

Nitpicker note: Final panel Cricket speaking "Drop the pricess"... Princess?
I suspect the Princess "talks" with her fists (c8
Julie

Post by Julie »

Well, it looks like the cricket's out of the bag. ;) Atsali apparently makes dangerous (or at least volatile) friends without even trying. It's going to be interesting to see if the bear twins are determined enough to stick by Atsali that they'll endure "friendship" with Cricket...or maybe it won't be determination to stick by their friend so much as fear of Cricket's reaction if they desert her. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Calista Foxglove and Gryphon High School.

Hm.

This means I gotta start updating the Omnibus again, doanchaknow?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Wow. Gotta give Da Bears credit, most anyone else would have "BEARNG!"d out immediately, citing prior commitments. And we haven't seen the twins fight, bears being fairly laid-back predators, until hungry or irritated.

And, how will Princess react to find out Atsali is kind of high-ranking on her own, when her Mom, and Aunts come up along the way? Or Tanta Phix?
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

I have noticed the traffic on this forum is way down lately. Has everyone gone to the facebook site instead and this has become a forgotten forum?
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

Looks to me like they have quite a clique going...
zachariah wrote:I have noticed the traffic on this forum is way down lately. Has everyone gone to the facebook site instead and this has become a forgotten forum?
I dunno, I think with the more character-development-driven plotline of late there's just not as much to talk about day to day. We haven't really had a weekly cliffhanger of late either...
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

WIN.
eee

Post by eee »

zachariah wrote:Thee is no harm in knowing Calista. I know a wide range of rather unusual people. The problem is her dominant attitude and manner. Being very forceful she will lead, or drag, any group that forms around her. Somehow I don't see this group really coming together. Sali might continue ti hang around but I think the bears will become polite but standoffish. The bear twins are used to keeping a low profile and avoiding trouble. Sali has yet to learn that this is a good thing to learn.

Only attract attention when you need to.The tallest nail gets hit first.
I think any hammer that tries to hit Cricket is going to wind up stuffed into one of its owner's bodily orifices. Unless it's Mjolnir, of course.

And being part of a group that includes a very forceful personality can be useful, if the personality is heading in the same direction you are. Opposition tends to get flattened by someone very dominant. It's not a good thing if the dominant personality is heading you all down the wrong path, of course; that leads to disaster and the best you can do is bail, if you can.

And we may be misjudging the Princess: She MAY have a softer side that will draw others to her because of that, and not because she can probably beat up anybody in the school. We'll have to wait and see.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

txmystic wrote:Image

WIN.
Must be one helluva sandwich!
Last edited by kingklash on Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Post by Dave »

eee wrote:And we may be misjudging the Princess: She MAY have a softer side that will draw others to her because of that, and not because she can probably beat up anybody in the school. We'll have to wait and see.
We may be getting a look at the whole "nature vs. nurture" question, Wapsiverse-wise. How much of Calista's prickly nature is inherent in her being Fae ("wired in", so to speak), and how much is due to her family / social background and how she was raised?

Methinks there could be an interesting back-story here. In fiction, it's not unusual for princesses to be portrayed as... well, "princesses"... spoiled and arrogant and entitled. One doesn't often come across a princess who behaves more like a street-wise tough with chip on shoulder and fists a'ready.

Possibly the Fae culture is a bit like sphinx culture... no mercy, watch your back, and if you don't you deserve everything you get? Even princesses are subject to be taken down by a rival?
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

I'm gonna give Princess Foxglove the benefit of the doubt. She may or may not have overreacted about the Jiminy Cricket remark we don't yet know the whole story about that and I'm withholding judgment until I do. She, however, didn't take badly to being bopped by Atsali, and is willing to befriend Atsali's friends no questions asked and told them to refrain from the whole "princess" thing. To me that inspires confidence that she will be a good friend and someone you want on your side in good times as well as bad. Whether or not I'm right remains to be seen.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
ActionKermit

Post by ActionKermit »

zachariah wrote:I have noticed the traffic on this forum is way down lately. Has everyone gone to the facebook site instead and this has become a forgotten forum?
I haven't been posting lately because there wasn't much going on during the hiatus.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

"Friends Of Jugs" would make a great name for a Wapsi fanclub.