What is the definition of Steampunk?

Just a little nook for SteamPunk folks to talk shop, costuming/cosplay, media, and rub elbows.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Cyberpawz

What is the definition of Steampunk?

Post by Cyberpawz »

I need to ask this, because I remember when Steampunk wasn't... I remember reading a little Steampunk writings, I remember playing games on the computer that in theory idealized the Steampunk concept. Same with the Fable series... Steamboy anyone? That being said, what is the definition of Steampunk, what makes something Steampunk?

I only ask, because I've got myself into a quandary, I do a lot of things myself, I make my own clothes in some cases, I tear apart old clothes, and make new ones out of them, especially jackets. I'm nearly 40, and I still don't need glasses, which seems to be the ideal Steampunk moniker. Multiple lenses attached to a pair of glasses, in where each one does a specific thing, etc... Others are where guns or weapons use gear to do things, steam to produce the same affect as gas, etc.

I remember reading that Steampunk is a variant of the Industrial age that instead of going towards steam power instead of how we went, is that really it? One technology deviation and we would be looking at still postal mail with flying steam powered vehicles instead of gas? I really can't imagine that is it...

So I ask in all honesty, what is Steampunk?
GammaGirl

Re: What is the definition of Steampunk?

Post by GammaGirl »

How long is a piece of string? I find that trying to pin a genre down leads to stagnation of that genre. It is best to be an inclusionist and let Steampunk grow and evolve.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

GammaGirl wrote:How long is a piece of string? I find that trying to pin a genre down leads to stagnation of that genre. It is best to be an inclusionist and let Steampunk grow and evolve.

Nice way to see it. I have been thinking about this for many years and realized that Steampunk is a living thing, always growing and changing.

But to understand it I found this from Artiste Gullible It sort of gives a genesis to the basic Steampunk universe (Basic because there are many ideas for Steam Punk worlds. If one really takes the time to think about it Jules Verne may be considered one of the true creators of the genre) (But that is just my opinion of course).
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

I've heard Steampunk described as, "What if the future happened in the past?"
Which probably boils it down a bit too much to be satisfying (particularly for Marigold's dad). ;)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Julie

Post by Julie »

MerchManDan wrote:I've heard Steampunk described as, "What if the future happened in the past?"
Which probably boils it down a bit too much to be satisfying (particularly for Marigold's dad). ;)
I think that's actually a very satisfying answer. It seems to encompass the feel of most steamppunk stories and worlds I've seen as of yet while still leaving a lot of room for iterpretation and evolution in the genre.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Anyone else ever hear of the Forgotten Futures role-playing game? (Darn it, can't find the website!) A game based on several turn-of-the-last-century science fiction stories. The author was selling it via PDF's on disk - it came with a huge library of Verne-ish, WOTW-like fiction.......
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Cyberpawz

Post by Cyberpawz »

The only reason I ask is because people tend to take a near comical view of it in many cases. Put a gear on something and call it Steampunk.

I've created things that could be considered Steampunk, but not at the same time because of the lack of real definition.

I don't own a watch, I own several pocket watches that wind up the old fashion way, I have created coats from older coats that have seen better days, adorn them with things that I used to use on a daily basis. Glasses I've designed myself which can double as welding glasses, sun glasses, and magnifying glasses all dependent of the lens that is in the glass case at the time.

I've designed several other things that I'd have in the jacket, none using "modern" technology... yet all of these things wouldn't be considered Steampunk by your definition or lack there of here.
alj_ws

Post by alj_ws »

I tend to find the term used by the Foglios (GirlGenius) and others much more adequate and descriptive :

Gaslamp fantasy

Describe quite well the tech level and even the quite unrealistic part in it.

The fantasy part is important, novels or comics at this tech level in a realistic setting are not steampunk
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
Oscar Wilde
ziggy78eog

Post by ziggy78eog »

Basically, Steampunk is an alternative version of the Victorian time period, roughly mid to late 19th Century. One of the main tenants of Steampunk is the pace of advancement of technology; the Steampunk era is decades, if not a century or so ahead of the actual Victorian Era, in terms of technology. This is done either by pushing the envelope in steam technology (hence the name), or by the discovery of some radically new power source. For some references, try looking up...
- Wild Wild West
- Adventures of Brisco County Jr
- Jules Verne
- Girl Genius
- Nadia: Secret of Blue Water
- League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
- Deadlands RPG
That should give you some indication.
meli71

Post by meli71 »

Cyberpawz wrote:I need to ask this, because I remember when Steampunk wasn't... I remember reading a little Steampunk writings, I remember playing games on the computer that in theory idealized the Steampunk concept. Same with the Fable series... Steamboy anyone? That being said, what is the definition of Steampunk, what makes something Steampunk?

I only ask, because I've got myself into a quandary, I do a lot of things myself, I make my own clothes in some cases, I tear apart old clothes, and make new ones out of them, especially jackets. I'm nearly 40, and I still don't need glasses, which seems to be the ideal Steampunk moniker. Multiple lenses attached to a pair of glasses, in where each one does a specific thing, etc... Others are where guns or weapons use gear to do things, steam to produce the same affect as gas, etc.

I remember reading that Steampunk is a variant of the Industrial age that instead of going towards steam power instead of how we went, is that really it? One technology deviation and we would be looking at still postal mail with flying steam powered vehicles instead of gas? I really can't imagine that is it...

So I ask in all honesty, what is Steampunk?
Hello,

i have read some of your comments below, but i have one question, as i am not too familiar with the genre :Another setting is "Western" steampunk, which overlaps with both the Weird West and Science fiction Western subgenres. Do anyone have any details about this particular genre ?

thanks
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

No expert I on genere or style, but to me, I'd look at Steampunk being Modern Victoriana. Consider the James Bond movie "Goldfinger." That was the one that really got the series going. The previous one, "Dr. No," set the stage with the players and environment: MI6, License to Kill, gadgets galore, Spy personna, and megalomaniac Bad Guys. "Goldfinger" put it all in motion with a much more enjoyable/credible presentation.

Now take all that and set the Wabac Machine to the 1890s and you get the TV series Wild Wild West. But - focus on steam power, clockwork mechanisms, add robots, zepplins (developed in 1895, so of the era), and bizarre electrical contrivances -- Steampunk!

But in all the variety possible, the characters maintain the Victorian era mindset and sociability. Try reading Girl Genius for a solid example of the genre.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Cyberpawz

Post by Cyberpawz »

Atomic wrote:No expert I on genere or style, but to me, I'd look at Steampunk being Modern Victoriana. Consider the James Bond movie "Goldfinger." That was the one that really got the series going. The previous one, "Dr. No," set the stage with the players and environment: MI6, License to Kill, gadgets galore, Spy personna, and megalomaniac Bad Guys. "Goldfinger" put it all in motion with a much more enjoyable/credible presentation.

Now take all that and set the Wabac Machine to the 1890s and you get the TV series Wild Wild West. But - focus on steam power, clockwork mechanisms, add robots, zepplins (developed in 1895, so of the era), and bizarre electrical contrivances -- Steampunk!

But in all the variety possible, the characters maintain the Victorian era mindset and sociability. Try reading Girl Genius for a solid example of the genre.
Even Girl Genius isn't true steam punk, it takes a page or two from it, but it has gone off in other directions that steam punk couldn't be used as a definition. At least since I've been reading since the beginning.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

All you need to know (and what I first thought of when the subject came up).
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin