Mmmm, beer...

Talk about your favorite liquor, ask questions, and share stories all about booze!

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

toadslayer

Re: Mmmm, beer...

Post by toadslayer »

Julie wrote:
toadslayer wrote:
ShneekeyTheLost wrote:Bein' a Texan
I know there were more words but that's what I saw. I'm originally from Houston. What are you feelings on Shiner Bach?
There are loads of Texans on these boards apparently. :) And I'll answer even though you weren't asking me. :P

I'm a fan of Shiner Bock. It's not the first beer I'll pick, but it's pretty tasty (and one of my friends introduced me to Shiner Bock with a squeeze of lime, which is also pretty good). I'm more a fan of some of the other beers from Shiner. I like Shiner's Black, Kosmos (limited availability), and Holiday Cheer (seasonal obviously) a whole lot more than their Bock. :) Their Blonde and Premium beers are pretty good too.
I always spell that wrong. Oooh! I didn't even know there were more choices. I'm in Ohio now and the Shiner choices are limited unless I go to a specialty store. I'll have to try Shiner Bock with some lime. That sounds really good. Plus, some green enchiladas which makes everything taste good.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

A local beer distributor came with a bunch of beers. I did like the dark Turbodog by Abita.
Montanto

Post by Montanto »

For me it's all about the IPAs. I'm always on the look out for weapons grades bitterness (though unfortunately I think I hit a ceiling on that front)
Because Washington is one of the Hops capitols of the world I mostly keep it local.

My favorites include Georgetown, Diamondknot, Elysian and Bigtime (the great thing about living in Seattle is with all of the great microbrews out there you always get to sample something new!)
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

I can't say that IPAs do much for me. I find the dark beers better--Irish red is nice.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Find me a beer that doesn't taste like flavoured raw bread dough, and I'll try it.

Leinenkugels Berry Weiss is the only one I can remotely tolerate(unless I spike it with some Black Bush).

Most beer tastes like eating raw bread dough to me. Then again, from my first experiences with alcohol, my parents introduced me to the "top shelf" numbers.

When younger, I used to get invited to tasting parties frequently, and once upon a time, could recommend the best of the best for any palette but beer.

My fave wines tend to be small batch super Tuscans, more on the dry side, but with a robust hint of sweet.
I love Jameson, former favourites were Black Bush/Bushmills(most likely will change once I can get my hand's on a Tullamore Dew) for my Irish Whiskey. As I mentioned in another post, I tend to shy away from Irish Creme since it loses the elegance of the original, then Miss Julie mentioned making their own, so I've added sweetened heavy cream to my drinks with generally great success(I will NOT ever speak of the "incident" where it did not work).
I like Chivas Regal Royal Salute(and the decanters are so gorgeous), but LOVE Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, and Dalwhinnie's Single Malts(the taste is not at all effected by the less pretty bottle).
For making drinks like Mint Juleps(I love me some Kentucky Derby), I defer to Beam's Choice or Gentlemen Jack.
Rum(which is always gone) I liked Pusser's until I had Appleton's Rum. I still use Pussers for mixers though.
Having had very bad experiences with Tequila(The accidental ingestion of the worm did me in every time, so that even smelling Tequila put me off drinking), I tend to steer clear of it, but when I do, it's usually Gran Patron or Silver for mixed drinks.
Vodka I wibble-wobble on. I like Stolichnaya and Absolut for mixers(these used to be my fave on the rocks), but enjoy Skyy, Krolewska, and Van Gogh on the rocks.

Canton's Ginger is absolutely incredible both as a digestif and casual drink. Yeah, I'm old-school and make medicinal drinks as well.

Being a single Mother, I do not have as classy a liquor cabinet as I used to, but the trade-off is spectacular.

Where was I...oh yes, beer.

If anyone can find the attributes of these fine alcohols in a beer, I'd gladly give it a twirl.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

DinkyInky wrote:Find me a beer that doesn't taste like flavoured raw bread dough, and I'll try it.

Leinenkugels Berry Weiss is the only one I can remotely tolerate(unless I spike it with some Black Bush).

Most beer tastes like eating raw bread dough to me. Then again, from my first experiences with alcohol, my parents introduced me to the "top shelf" numbers.

Edit: Euriudite Alcohol Allusions

Where was I...oh yes, beer.

If anyone can find the attributes of these fine alcohols in a beer, I'd gladly give it a twirl.
I'm not the best to answer this, not being the aficionado that other here are...but I thought that the purpose of beer was to be bread that you could drink.
But there's always hope.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

DinkyInky wrote:Find me a beer that doesn't taste like flavoured raw bread dough, and I'll try it.
To me, beer always tastes like what it is: mouldy grain flavoured with the bodily wastes of microscopic critters. As such, I've never been a fan. I haven't had much luck with wines, either, for that matter.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Catawampus wrote:To me, beer always tastes like what it is: mouldy grain flavoured with the bodily wastes of microscopic critters. As such, I've never been a fan. I haven't had much luck with wines, either, for that matter.
That may explain why, when I tried a certain popular Philippine beer, there was a (slimy) lump in it.

Never again.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Atomic wrote:
Catawampus wrote:To me, beer always tastes like what it is: mouldy grain flavoured with the bodily wastes of microscopic critters. As such, I've never been a fan. I haven't had much luck with wines, either, for that matter.
That may explain why, when I tried a certain popular Philippine beer, there was a (slimy) lump in it.

Never again.
Singha Beer, the oldest beer brewed in Thailand is proud of the fact that it's brewed with water from the Chao Phraya. (The main river that runs through Bangkok) Many claim unfiltered.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Speaking of beer that tastes like bread dough--the ancient Egyptians provided their workers with beer and bread--both measured by how many loaves of bread/jugs of beer are made from a measure (heqat) of grain. The higher the number, the weaker the loaf/beer.
Julie

Post by Julie »

I found an IPA I actually like!! :D Okay...to be more honest, I LOVE it! :D It's my go-to beer right now. It's Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA, and it smells and tastes like grapefruit! This is brilliant on two counts. 1. Beer often doesn't smell as good as it tastes, so being able to say a beer smells tasty is rare and awesome. 2. I LOVE grapefruit, but can't have it in my diet because of my cholesterol meds...but this beer doesn't have any grapefruit actually in it (it's all in the hops they use), so I can drink this and get my citrus fix! :D
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Barn0wl

Post by Barn0wl »

My dad was a Michelob man and so that was my first beer and I've imbibed a fair bit of that brand. When I was in the Navy it was usually either Michelob or Stroh's when I'd drink beer. But I also got my first taste of stout when in the Navy, the ship I was on had the privilege of having liberty in the Orkney Islands after a NATO exercise in the early '80's and one of the locals in a small pub in Kirkwall (Orkney Islands) ... but that's a whooole other story there. But, I've been a fan ever since.

But, when my best friend, who also lives across the street from me, started brewing his own beer, I started learning more about different beers. And the more I learned about them, them more I discovered that I still prefer darker beers. Then, when we made a Russian Imperial Stout I really feel in love. I do enjoy a lot of other styles, but keep coming back to porters and stouts. Scottish ales, reds, alt bier, dopple bock, browns. I enjoy them all, but give me an Old Taddy Porter, or Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout any day. ;)
"A great person once said; 'you can fool some of the people some of the time.' But I (an even greater person) say; 'if you don't teach them to read, you can fool them whenever you like!'"
[Max Headroom]
Julie

Post by Julie »

Can I just say how happy this time of year in beer makes me? :) I love Oktoberfest brews so much!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Julie wrote:Can I just say how happy this time of year in beer makes me? :) I love Oktoberfest brews so much!
I saw a Leinenkugel's truck today! It was going to a decidedly "ghetto" looking liquor store, but it's Berry Weiss season...
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir