That Darn Symbol

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

GlytchMeister

That Darn Symbol

Post by GlytchMeister »

Sorry for making yet another topic, I'm not trying to spam, honest.

So I was at work today and guess what I saw? A woman wearing a necklace with this symbol:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (22.29 KiB) Viewed 9501 times
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Re: That Darn Symbol

Post by GlytchMeister »

Ugh, sorry, I'm using an iPad and I can't make the picture smaller, and I can't figure out how to write under the picture.

Anyway, I asked her about it, and she said it was the zodiac symbol for Aries, the ram. (Not the Greek god of war, that's totally what I thought she was talking about at first before she mentioned the zodiac)

There was a conversation regarding this symbol before, but it's in a dead thread, and I don't want to zombify it, so here's the link for where I think it started.

The zodiac is pretty much ridiculed in this world as bullcrap by those of an academic persuasion, but perhaps it has some real significance in the Wapsiverse? Anybody know the symbolism behind zodiacs, Aries in particular?
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

This one is kind of big too, but it might fit better.
If I add a line feed (carriage return, damn, I am old...) after the picture link I can add text under the picture.

(Sent from the phone)

Nope, preview does it really big, but otoh only cut in half...

PS- re: the symbol, its a really old one, most of the simple ones have survived being stylized over the eons. It likely goes back even further than Ares.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Under Windows menus - Accessories, System Tools, Character Map, there is font Wingdings, and a set of Zodiac characters giving you -- well, a chance to copy and paste a character which doesn't work in this editor. Oh well.

^ <--- Not the symbol I was trying for. Bah. Never mind.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

TazManiac has an Aries symbol, but GlytchMeister has dragged up the (Unicode presentation) of the womb Hieroglyph I found.

I still hold to the womb. 8-)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

This is true, two things:

- I was lazy and Internet hardware deficient at the time.

- Some of the same symbols show up with wildly differing meanings and usages, and sometimes this is due to being absorbed by the culture that followed.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

TazManiac wrote:...- Some of the same symbols show up with wildly differing meanings and usages, and sometimes this is due to being absorbed by the culture that followed.
It can also be cases of convergent or divergent evolution. Y'know, two civilizations think up of the same symbol with different meanings (convergent) or one civilization splits, and develops two meanings for the same symbol (divergent)

Also, the symbol on the woman's necklace looked EXACTLY how it appears in the comic. The pic I got from Sid is a wee bit too angular and the stem is too long, and the pic Taz used curles around too much. This necklace looked like it was freaking designed by Paul Taylor himself.

That's why I took the chance to stop the poor woman and ask her about the necklace (while there were other customers! :geek: )
It seemed too good to be true. I couldn't let that opportunity slip away.
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:The zodiac is pretty much ridiculed in this world as bullcrap by those of an academic persuasion, but perhaps it has some real significance in the Wapsiverse? Anybody know the symbolism behind zodiacs, Aries in particular?
Mascot animal of the Whizzo Chocolate Company, creator of the (in)famous confection known as the Ram's Bladder Cup?
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Dave wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:The zodiac is pretty much ridiculed in this world as bullcrap by those of an academic persuasion, but perhaps it has some real significance in the Wapsiverse? Anybody know the symbolism behind zodiacs, Aries in particular?
Mascot animal of the Whizzo Chocolate Company, creator of the (in)famous confection known as the Ram's Bladder Cup?
:lol: :lol:
Wizzo the Ram?
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous