Katherine Gilchrist Theory

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

captnq

Katherine Gilchrist Theory

Post by captnq »

I had the strangest dream about Kathrine Gilchrist.

Basically, it was about the fact that she is the whole 6-souls-into-1 thing. I was in the coffee shop as everything unfolded. Katherine came in to babble towards Monica about something when the Barista noticed Katherine was pregnant. Apparently Kathrine met someone and they finally "did it". Long story short, Kathrine was carrying quintuplets.

Apparently, my brain worked out the theory that given the first "opportunity" to finally un-merge, the extra five "souls" would try to become born again. This is assuming Katherine hasn't had sex yet, of course. (Somewhat likely, because of her "shy" nature and lack of physical relationship with anyone of the male gender as far as I've seen.)

The result was a passed out "Boyfriend", although in typical dream fashion, I have no idea when he showed up, or who it was, for that matter. The barista apparently could tell how many babies based on how many "auras" she could see. Also I think after Katherine had the babies, her eyes turned normal. I'm a little fuzzy about the order of events. Some sort of complication came up and they needed to use a teleporter? The whole thing was very disjointed, I'm afraid.

Just a strange theory that burned a hole in my head that I felt compelled to post.
If anyone has any reasons why I'd be dead wrong, I'm interested is hearing them.
MerchManDan

Re: Katherine Gilchrist Theory

Post by MerchManDan »

I certainly wouldn't say "dead wrong," in fact this theory is pretty intriguing. Though I certainly wouldn't think Kath hasn't had any sex at all with anyone; maybe she & past partners took extra precautions against pregnancy. If she someday finds herself in a secure sexual relationship with a man, maybe she'll relax in that regard and become in the family way.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Of course it hinges on what the significance having a soul has on a person in the Wapsiverse, but I can't help thinking that something like this happening would fundamentally change who Katherine is after the de-merging.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Dave

Post by Dave »

shadowinthelight wrote:Of course it hinges on what the significance having a soul has on a person in the Wapsiverse, but I can't help thinking that something like this happening would fundamentally change who Katherine is after the de-merging.
Agreed.

The nearest-equivalent Wapsi situation might be that of the Golem Girls, who were merged together in the creation of the Lanthian Chimera. It apparently took quite a bit of work by Tepoz to separate and restore their own individual personalities, some time after they were physically "decoupled" by the Lanthian survivors. I don't think we've seen evidence that the Chimera, per se, still exists today.

In Katherine's case, the six individuals who were "fused" by the teleporter were pre-birth... they had never had independent lives outside their mothers' wombs. It's a good question as to whether their souls had real, significant individuality or a meaningful "prior history" (some of Connie's comments suggest "no" but Shelly seemed to disagree with her).

So, it's possible that Katherine is truly "one person, indivisible" to the same degreee that other Wapsi humans are ...

... or not. Only Paul knows.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Since a soul is apparently assigned to each individual before the person is even born, this might result in five children who each has two souls. And possibly a whole family line where the firstborn always has two souls.
captnq wrote:This is assuming Katherine hasn't had sex yet, of course. (Somewhat likely, because of her "shy" nature and lack of physical relationship with anyone of the male gender as far as I've seen.)
Her social problems seem to have been mostly the result of the attack on the excavation when she was a grad student. Before that she went to college and was in the Air Force, and was apparently adventurous enough to go out and do field work overseas. I expect that she was more social in her teens and early twenties. She still might not have ever dated anybody, of course, but who knows?