Ages

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

Ages

Post by Fairportfan »

Monica, who is thirty-one, is (according to the Chronology) four years younger than Tina.

We've been told that, prior to the Bus Incident, Tina was a therapist.

Monica was fourteen at the time of the Bus Incident.

Wow - pretty precocious to be working as a shrink at eighteen...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Sidhekin

Re: Ages

Post by Sidhekin »

I couldn't remember the "therapist" tidbit. I was wondering if it might have been from a different time line ...

In http://wapsisquare.com/comic/dammit-jin/ we hear Tina was a psychiatrist. Wow, an M.D. and four years of practice? At about 18? Impressive! Then again, Jin's our source, and she was loopy at the time ... she might even be mentally crossing the time streams.

Do we have another source for "therapist"?
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I was under the impression that there was a significant age difference between M and Tina. I'd have to look back through the archives.

EDIT: Tina's 36, M's about seven years younger. The "Tina Helps Becky" storyline (where we first meet Mr. Tentacle) is where we discover Tina's age: 36 in 2012, meaning she was born sometime around 1976. Monica was said to have been 14 when the "bus" incident happened, which Pablo established was "Ten Years Ago" in 2007 - meaning Monica was born in/about 1983.

YMMV; Pablo reserves the right to adjust these numbers via Comic Temporal Dilation at any time. ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Fairportfan wrote:Monica, who is thirty-one, is (according to the Chronology) four years younger than Tina.

We've been told that, prior to the Bus Incident, Tina was a therapist.

Monica was fourteen at the time of the Bus Incident.

Wow - pretty precocious to be working as a shrink at eighteen...
It seems to me that Jin was talking about a previous Tina that was not KIA and turned into a demon yacht. The Tina that was a therapist was the one that collected tea pots. The disappointment that Jin seemed to feel when she found collecting difference seemed to make her nostalgic. I would hasten a guess that therapist was also not the daughter of a drug kingpin either since the current Tina was referred to as "That drug kingpins dingy daughter" in one of the strips.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I'm on my tablet in a Chinese restaurant, leeching WiFi off the pizza place next door, so I can't link the page, but in an early 2012 page titled, I think, "Curvy", as Tina struggles to pull on a pair of stretch jeans (they'd been neglecting the laundry) one of the crew say's"This is a thirty-six year old body", which makes her at most six years older than Monica, who would have been about thirty.

As to "therapist" that's my memory acting up.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I believe the therapist part was as a result of those notebooks that Tina kept that Mon initially thought was Glyph. It was just shorthand.

It could be possible that Tina and Monica's paths crossed during her little hospital stay (the one that ended with the Visit from the Vampire). Tina could have had her as a "client" during her training years/residency. (Of course, why in the world Tina was up in MSP is beyond me.)

EDIT: The strip establishing Tina as 36 is In Layers (from April 2012).
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:It could be possible that Tina and Monica's paths crossed during her little hospital stay (the one that ended with the Visit from the Vampire). Tina could have had her as a "client" during her training years/residency. (Of course, why in the world Tina was up in MSP is beyond me.)
Is it established that the Refuge for the Very Very Nervous where Monica spent her time was in M-SP? Since the bus incident was in Mexico City, i sort of had a feeling it might have been there...

As to Tina in M-SP, i think there's a bit when she's first explaining what she is that she mentions that they felt a compulsion to move up and start a coffee shop, even though they didn't know why they should.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

jwhouk wrote: EDIT: The strip establishing Tina as 36 is In Layers (from April 2012).
[tangent]
Tina(inc.): We can has badonkadonk?
badonkadonk? :?:

Quick, to the internets :arrow:

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meanin ... adonkadonk
http://www.wikihow.com/Get-a-Badonkadonk

oh, that badonkadonk :p

Wapsi Square: Come for the boobs, stay for the broadening of your vocabulary :)
[/tangent]
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

jwhouk wrote:I believe the therapist part was as a result of those notebooks that Tina kept that Mon initially thought was Glyph. It was just shorthand.

It could be possible that Tina and Monica's paths crossed during her little hospital stay (the one that ended with the Visit from the Vampire). Tina could have had her as a "client" during her training years/residency. (Of course, why in the world Tina was up in MSP is beyond me.)

EDIT: The strip establishing Tina as 36 is In Layers (from April 2012).
It is a nice theory but one big problem with that theory is her first hospital stay was just after the bus incident. At that point Tina was dead. It also looked like she was in Mexico because she was supposed to testify against her father (gathered from newspaper articles on her pegboard) and may have been hiding.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Ah, you are right.

That would mean that Tina's connection isn't with Monica, but with Shelly - the one who has her soul stuck to her personal demons.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

jwhouk wrote:EDIT: The strip establishing Tina as 36 is In Layers (from April 2012).
Ms. Tentacle coming out of Tina's eye is more disturbing than coming out of her mouth.

And I keep getting distracted by the thread title. It makes me think of the Secret of Nimh.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!