Wapsi Square: The Motion Picture

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Wapsi Square: The Motion Picture

Post by jwhouk »

It's not official, of course, but a pretty good outline of a screenplay came up a while back (like, back in 2010!) for what the first of many WS movies would entail.

So, it is without further ado that we bring you:

WAPSI SQUARE – THE MOVIE
  1. Opening montage shows series of Mayan temple carvings, with a voiceover of Monica explaining about the "great apocalypse" that the Mayans believed happened at the creation of the world. In her description, she mentions Mayahuel and her daughter, Tochtli. She then comes to an "etching" of Tepoztecal, and mentions how he was essentially the Mayan god of Fermented Grain.
  2. We pull back to discover that she is explaining a new exhibit to a group of well-heeled contributors, who make a tepid joke about a "God of Beer". Monica excuses herself to head out to the lobby to make a quick phone call; that's where we see that she works at the University Museum.
  3. The phone call goes through to Wapsi Square apartments, where Shelly lives. Shelly explains that she's getting ready (by lifting weights with her toes) and that she'll run over to Monica's house to feed Dietzel before meeting her over at Darren's Pub.
  4. Monica's boss catches her in the lobby just as she's snapping shut her phone. Her boss reminds her there's still a few items that need to be catalogued for the exhibit, and she politely says she'll get on that first thing Monday morning (sweet talk management quote). Monica sneaks off into the Minneapolis night to meet Amanda and Shelly at Darren's.
  5. Shelly seen trying to feed Dietzel; Amanda says she has to stop at her photo studio first. (Dietzel ends up calling Papa's Pizza.)
  6. Monica drives around the TC a bit, giving a bit of commentary on her life as she's making her way around – and then her car decides to die in front of Sally's. Her cell phone conks out just as she tries to call Amanda.
  7. Meanwhile, Shelly meets up with Amanda at her photo studio (she's doing some product shots, perhaps?) Somehow, they end up checking Amanda's voicemail – and hear Monica's at the dive bar in a bad part of town. They race off to meet her.
  8. Monica hits it off with the biker crew at Sally's and gets a ride home. We find out about Grandpa Sullivan and his "adventures" – and even a reference to a golden-eyed lady that he'd befriended. (Jin!) Shelly and Amanda arrive just after they leave. They race over to Monica's place to find her coming out of the shower.
  9. Three of them meet Jacqui over at Darren's Pub. A bit of history about their relationships. (Perhaps a flashback of when Mon and Shel met?)
  10. Monica's daily routine on Monday – introduces a perky Tina. She gets to work and starts to attack the excess inventory of artifacts – and comes across Tepoz. He releases him from the statue, and he discovers that she's a glyph reader. She manages to convince him he's needed elsewhere – like, say, Utah.
  11. Meeting up with Katherine to finish the cataloging of the artifacts – including the "cog-shaped" carving.
  12. The new exhibit where Monica meets up with Kevin. They eventually decide to go out on a date together.
  13. Kevin and Monica's first date at the Cerebrus club, with Intentional Thumbprint (Heather) opening up for Fermented Banana. Heather and Shelly "hook up", but not without some mixed signals.
  14. Back to Monica at the museum, where she sees her straight-jacketed reflection in the mirror. Tepoz returns to tell her about what he knows about her (with the back-story about her running into the path of the bus); his comments about her past triggers her wrestling match with Doubt.
  15. Heather and Shelly have their little tete a tete, resulting in Shelly's bowling-ball incident – and our discovery of her inner demon.
  16. Monica and Tepoz argue over her suddenly messed-up life. Tepoz manages to smooth things over by making her some liquered-up dinner. She asks the fateful question, "So what else can you conjure up?"
  17. And thus the Golem Girls appear. After their little introductory scene, Monica seems to remember Jin from somewhere, but can't picture exactly how.
  18. Monica and Shelly have coffee at Tina's to end the movie – basically wrapping up how strange their lives have become.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Tenjen

Re: Wapsi Square: The Motion Picture

Post by Tenjen »

I dunna, mini series have more flexibility.

Ooorrr start with a movie, continue in a mini series!
credit to Aoi Heart on DA
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

As I'm reading it, I'm thinking more "anime".
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Nope, a teen-angst WB series that expands into movies...
;)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Any series needs to be independantly funded and produced. TV executives are dumber than their movie counterparts. There would be too much meddling and no studio would approve the special effects budget necessary to do Wapsi justice.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Looks like a good start! And yes, anime wouldn't be that bad -- might be a bit better than live action depending on who does it and in what style. Dragonball Z, no -- Howl's Moving Castle, yes.

And, for those who haven't seen it, here's my little take on the action from back in the Calendar Machine plot line.

Yes, a lot has happened since then and some of the character assumptions are way off, but hey - go with the flow, eh?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Atomic wrote: And, for those who haven't seen it, here's my little take on the action from back in the Calendar Machine plot line.

Yes, a lot has happened since then and some of the character assumptions are way off, but hey - go with the flow, eh?

I read this just after the Calendar Arc was completed and just loved it. As far as character assumptions, they could have just as easily been right as they still matched the characters personalities as Paul has written them.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.