Truckin' Comments Section

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Just Old Al

Truckin' Comments Section

Post by Just Old Al »

Say it here...and while formatting and typos are appreciated input, enjoy the story for a story and not a formatting exercise!
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Warrl

Re: Truckin' Comments Section

Post by Warrl »

In case anyone wants to twit over Al putting in "Grande Dam"...

There are two words each of which may or may not have an "e" on the end.

That makes four possibilities, each of which means something at least a bit different from the others. One of them gains yet another meaning if you omit the space.

And in this case, all five meanings are correct.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

The Old Sgt. stopped right in the middle of a pass on the English wheel... methodically, he removed the piece he was working and sat down, puzzled at the sensation that flooded him. A corner turned, a mystery solved, an epiphany reached... something along those lines. A warmth, a hope revealed and granted. It had been sometime since the last similar sensation had flowed through him- and he owned that one. That was when he realized he had fallen in love with the sturdy redhead who graced his life....

-but this was not his. This came from outside. This was like... this was like that time at the Old Alexander Estate, when ... well, maybe it wasn't that long ago after all... when Al and Daisy went for a walk after dancing together for the first time. He sat and saturated the feeling- yes, this was Al. And this was Daisy. From across the continent, he still felt their joy and love bursting to another level.

He drew a deep sigh, eyes closed... then, with a smile, he resumed shaping what would soon be a gas tank for a motorized bicycle while enjoying the afterglow of what had transpired. Al might tell him about it... then again, maybe he wouldn't. Either way, it didn't matter- they were happy, and that was enough.

That tank became one of the better efforts as he was learning the use of an English Wheel...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Warrl wrote:In case anyone wants to twit over Al putting in "Grande Dam"...

There are two words each of which may or may not have an "e" on the end.

That makes four possibilities, each of which means something at least a bit different from the others. One of them gains yet another meaning if you omit the space.

And in this case, all five meanings are correct.
Gendarme?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

Warrl wrote:And in this case, all five meanings are correct.
Of course, if one is speaking Hausa or Belarusian or Telugu, then the meanings might not be so appropriate.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Dave wrote:
Warrl wrote:And in this case, all five meanings are correct.
Of course, if one is speaking Hausa or Belarusian or Telugu, then the meanings might not be so appropriate.
As we are not I consider the risk of inadvertent offense low. Vladimir need not apply. :)
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Sgt. Howard wrote: From across the continent, he still felt their joy and love bursting to another level.

He drew a deep sigh, eyes closed... then, with a smile, he resumed shaping what would soon be a gas tank for a motorized bicycle while enjoying the afterglow of what had transpired. Al might tell him about it... then again, maybe he wouldn't. Either way, it didn't matter- they were happy, and that was enough.

That tank became one of the better efforts as he was learning the use of an English Wheel...
The Old Sergeant may never admit it, but his connection to them and all of the Club Alexander folks goes a lot deeper than anyone else knows. There's a bit of magic in all of them.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Al failed to mention one essential component required for a proper rebuild. Of course, he may be assuming that Sterling would certainly have it handy already, just as she would have a screwdriver and an adjustable spanner.

DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Dave wrote:Al failed to mention one essential component required for a proper rebuild. Of course, he may be assuming that Sterling would certainly have it handy already, just as she would have a screwdriver and an adjustable spanner.

(RDR)²
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Dave wrote:Al failed to mention one essential component required for a proper rebuild. Of course, he may be assuming that Sterling would certainly have it handy already, just as she would have a screwdriver and an adjustable spanner.

Believe it or not I have nearly an identical container to that sitting on my workshop shelf, with the proper valves for aspiration of it into the harness as required.

However, Al has his own recipe for same - it's something he came up with after his trip to Scotaland. it's a smoke containing 1/3 Highland fir, 1/3 coalmine smoke from Wales, and 1/3 ingredients the sod won't even TELL me.

The good part of it is that it's self-regenerating and self-healing. In short, if you let some of it out it will reinforce itself, rebuilding the proper smoke volume needed for most efficient operation of the electrical system. If you let it all out at once,( engine fire or the like) not much to be done, but it's muchbetter than the old system
Dave

Post by Dave »

Just Old Al wrote:Believe it or not I have nearly an identical container to that sitting on my workshop shelf, with the proper valves for aspiration of it into the harness as required.
Sounds like a neat thing to have in the shop. And, it's good to honor the classics.
However, Al has his own recipe for same - it's something he came up with after his trip to Scotaland. it's a smoke containing 1/3 Highland fir, 1/3 coalmine smoke from Wales, and 1/3 ingredients the sod won't even TELL me.
I'll bet if you sit down with him, and two or three bottles of really good smoky single-malt, you can get him drunk enough to talk. Peat it out of him.

I work in the computing/electronics trade, in which "letting the magic blue smoke out" is the primary reason why things fail. Unfortunately we haven't had much success using the Lucas approach. It's just too difficult to re-inject magic smoke into the right portions of the chips. You need a really tiny little hypodeemic nerdle and very good eyes to even try it, and the smoke usually doesn't penetrate very well or stay where you put it. Easier to just desolder the darned things and replace, or (unfortunately) throw the whole device in the e-waste bin and install a new one.

Repairability isn't what it used to be. But, then again, neither is nostalgia.

One hopes that Al isn't planning to try installing a modern GPS in the Range Rover? Being around all that mage energy and the resulting portals, black holes, space-warps, and chronosynclastic infandibuli would give the poor thing a nervous breakdown in short order. Probably take its revenge on Sterling by guiding her right down the ramp into the nearest effluent settling pond.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Re the caravan: when it comes to rescuing structures that have long been exposed to odors, it's often beneficial to use a shellac-based sealing primer before repainting. This stuff blocks strains and odors, and keeps them from working their way back up through the new paint... and it binds very well to the old surface. Add a smidge of mildewcide to it and to the finish coat, and you end up with a surface that will stand up to a lot of years of use.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Dave wrote:
Just Old Al wrote:Believe it or not I have nearly an identical container to that sitting on my workshop shelf, with the proper valves for aspiration of it into the harness as required.
Sounds like a neat thing to have in the shop. And, it's good to honor the classics.
I'll bet if you sit down with him, and two or three bottles of really good smoky single-malt, you can get him drunk enough to talk. Peat it out of him.
Only he doesn't drink, so he's more apt to order plenty of bitters and soda and get all of your secrets out of you, then hand them to you in the morning with a "nice try, let's not repeat it" stamped on the cover of the parcel box.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

PTSD is a hell of a thing.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Dave wrote:Re the caravan: when it comes to rescuing structures that have long been exposed to odors, it's often beneficial to use a shellac-based sealing primer before repainting. This stuff blocks strains and odors, and keeps them from working their way back up through the new paint... and it binds very well to the old surface. Add a smidge of mildewcide to it and to the finish coat, and you end up with a surface that will stand up to a lot of years of use.
Though being shellac-based, the carrier solvent is alcohol, and thus the vapors during application will get you drunk.

DinkyInky wrote:
Dave wrote:
Only he doesn't drink, so he's more apt to order plenty of bitters and soda and get all of your secrets out of you, then hand them to you in the morning with a "nice try, let's not repeat it" stamped on the cover of the parcel box.
How about a pot or two of prime Darjeeling? Or maybe a century-old pu-erh?

--FreeFlier
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

jwhouk wrote:PTSD is a hell of a thing.
It is. I've seen it in 2 generations of my own family, and it's horrid.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

FreeFlier wrote:
Dave wrote:Re the caravan: when it comes to rescuing structures that have long been exposed to odors, it's often beneficial to use a shellac-based sealing primer before repainting.
Though being shellac-based, the carrier solvent is alcohol, and thus the vapors during application will get you drunk.
Indeed. Kilz or shellac based sanding sealers are wonderful stuff. I've used them for years.

When I rebuilt the Week-N-Der initially the interior was so rotten that the termites holding hands were the only things holding it together. Nearly all of th wood was simply replaced. it was rather like rebuilding a boat from the inside without springing the hull and replacing the frames one rib at a time.

Have to be honest I've never had a problem with the alcohol fumes - but then again I'm the same idiot who TIG welds in a basement workshop.

FreeFLier wrote: How about a pot or two of prime Darjeeling? Or maybe a century-old pu-erh?
You might get hints, but the man is surprisingly reticent to share that secret.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Minor nit on behalf of the residents of the state of Wyoming (and a few in Colorado): The proper spelling is "Cheyenne".

Otherwise, this is going fan-de-tastic. I'mma gonna try to keep up while I'm doing my own tripping down to AZ.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

jwhouk wrote:Minor nit on behalf of the residents of the state of Wyoming (and a few in Colorado): The proper spelling is "Cheyenne".

Otherwise, this is going fan-de-tastic. I'mma gonna try to keep up while I'm doing my own tripping down to AZ.
Fixed, and safe travels.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Just Old Al wrote:
jwhouk wrote:PTSD is a hell of a thing.
It is. I've seen it in 2 generations of my own family, and it's horrid.
Ya. It’s no fun. Both in terms of personal experience and in terms of helping someone else deal with theirs.

Actually had a small episode a week or so ago, triggered by some words from a friend of my girlfriend. It’s good to have someone there. For a couple hours, I wondered if I really was the “pathological liar, sociopath/psychopath, antisocial guy just like all those school shooters on the news” that he told me I was.

My girlfriend got me through that one. I’ve had others get me through other ones. Dealing with it on your own is... one of the hardest, most unpleasant, most depressing, and most mindbreaking experiences I can think of. It’s torture, self-inflicted, without your conscious knowledge.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!