Holiday Comments Section

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

GlytchMeister

Re: Holiday Comments Section

Post by GlytchMeister »

Silly boys... Steak and eggs is the way to go.

A good big, lean steak, cooked medium, with three eggs over easy, chopped up roughlynwithna fork, a big pile of hash browns, and three biscuits with country-style sausage-gravy, and four pancakes with buttah and real (REAL) maple syrup or Guava Syrup from Hawaii.

Oh, and a big glass of chocolate milk.

Mmmmmmm...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Is anybody else absolutely STARVING all of a sudden? I need me some hearty breakfast...
I'm too much!
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

GlytchMeister wrote:Is anybody else absolutely STARVING all of a sudden? I need me some hearty breakfast...
Look for a diner with a sign "NO Caulks!" . . .

Or a very large parking lot.

--FreeFlier
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

FreeFlier wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Is anybody else absolutely STARVING all of a sudden? I need me some hearty breakfast...

--FreeFlier
...*headtilt*

I don't geddit...
I'm too much!
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

GlytchMeister wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:

...*headtilt*

I don't geddit...
Loggers and truckdrivers are noted for requiring solid, hearty, good meals . . . either usually requires a large parking lot for the heavy trucks, and loggers usually wear spiked boots called caulks . . . which is pronounced corks. Since the caulks tear the bleep out of just about any floor - including concrete! - they are almost always forbidden in establishments catering to loggers.

The Pine Tree was an exception . . . they simply laid down a new overlay of cheap plywood - usually defective panels - on the first Sunday of the month during logging season.

The signs are less common than they used to be, even in logging country.

Of course, so are loggers. :(

--FreeFlier
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Ooohhh... Good to know!
I'm too much!
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

The food in such establishments will be good & solid, served in large portions, and reasonably inexpensive, but the choices will be limited.

Most such establishments will question if an apparent tourist orders a stack of pancakes . . . pancakes there tend to be 8-10 inches in diameter, and a short stack might be three, or a half-dozen. The average tourist can't handle a logger's breakfast.

--FreeFlier
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I can't handle a loggers breakfast unless I'm REALLY hungry or if I've been working hard. If both, I'll inhale a big meal and people will wonder where it went.
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Nobody here has ever seem me eat- it is obscene, the amount of food I will pack away
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

I used to be able to, twenty or thirty years ago . . .

Loggers eat like that because they work very hard all day . . . putting out a lot of calories, so they have to take in a lot of calories, too.

--FreeFlier
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

FreeFlier wrote:I used to be able to, twenty or thirty years ago . . .

Loggers eat like that because they work very hard all day . . . putting out a lot of calories, so they have to take in a lot of calories, too.

--FreeFlier
That is true today and was even more true in the old days when they used hand tools to cut trees.

And then they get injured and have to sit out for a few months, and keep eating the same amount of the same stuff, and someone comes along and paints "Goodyear" on them...

(I grew up largely in logging country, and saw the ballooning happen several times.)
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Never been over 200 pound- and I'm pretty solidly packed, if I say so myself... still eat like a teenager...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Warrl wrote: . . . (I grew up largely in logging country, and saw the ballooning happen several times.)
So did I.

Farmers have some of the same trouble.

--FreeFlier
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

WARNING! WARNING! THREAD NECROMANCY IN PROGRESS!

You cannot fool me, old man! Lockehaven IS Lockeport, NS! Complete, down to the street names used, the thinly veiled Grey (instead of the actual White) Gull Diner (Restaurant and Marina, in fact), and the rail-trail coming out of town at the North end.

Don't even try to deny it!

Having said that, reading this six years later is just as entertaining as the first time around. And it had been long enough for me to forget the specifics of the trip, so it was a journey of rediscovery throughout. Thoroughly enjoyable.

And now you can see how far I have made it down the list of fanfics...
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Lake, I have said it before and I will say it again.

You mess with my herd and there is going to be a Sphinx picking bus driver out of her teeth.

I am NOT confirming anything.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I never said anything about messing with them... I just want the intellectual satisfaction of knowing I am right. :geek:

Is that asking too much? :roll:

:mrgreen: :P :lol:
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

lake_wrangler wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:48 pm Is that asking too much? :roll:
Yes.

YOU are more-or-less harmless. Others may not be. I do not need to inflict some malicious moron on these poor folk.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Aside: I just tossed the two elves' full Elvish names into Google Translate.

They are (supposedly) Greek.

To'ryll doesn't change in translation to English.

But their surname changes from Drathmir to Dratimir, and Uuthli changes to Hytili.

Gee thanks, Google, that's so enlightening...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Faux-outrage/indignation aside, I do like the way you write your fanfics: even as you are making stuff up, you are "keeping it real", so to speak. By transposing this fictional universe into ours, and including names of real places, streets, highways, and so on, it makes your make-believe even more believable... In your travelogues, people who have been in the area you are describing will nod their heads and think: "Yep, that's what it's like, over there..." Meanwhile, people who have not been there are able to "follow" you with Google maps, and see the same scenery you describe, via Street View, leading them to think things like, well, no wonder Ms. Clara had some difficulty with Cobequid Pass, and so on.

Incidentally, it was because of one of your travelogue fanfics (A Journey and an Obligation) that I once altered my normal route coming back home from Charlotte, NC, in order to stop at a specific town, to eat at a specific diner, which I did not regret one bit. (You want to know where and what restaurant? Go read the fanfic!)

Meanwhile, back to the topic at hand. At the time you wrote this fanfic (Holiday), back in 2016, I found this particular story to hit home a bit more than the others, for a few reasons: for one, it took place in my country (in part), and included things taht are common to Canada (such as Tim Horton's coffee, for instance). It also included characters who spoke Frenglish, which was amusing to read (and correct...) Also, I had just completed a bicycle trip to Nova Scotia the summer before (August 2015), the memories of which were still quite fresh. As such, I had poured over maps for a long time, planning my trip, so many of the spots mentioned were somewhat familiar to me. Incidentally, we both crossed into New Brunswick via the same border crossing, in Calais.

I had just as much fun reading it this time around.

And sure: we'll just pretend that Lockeport is not Lockehaven... (Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean, know what I mean? Say no more, say no more...) :P
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Just Old Al wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:32 am
lake_wrangler wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:48 pm Is that asking too much? :roll:
Yes.

YOU are more-or-less harmless. Others may not be. I do not need to inflict some malicious moron on these poor folk.
I'd like to think that I CAN cause harm, but am not very likely to do so... :lol: