Holiday Comments Section

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Re: Holiday Comments Section

Post by jwhouk »

Funny thing is, I know the exact route you're going to use - and I don't blame you going 70+.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

At least Wisconsin has trees . . .

In some parts of the west, there's nothing but sagebrush and flatrabbits.

--FreeFlier
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Warrl wrote:
L’Heureux said, “Aimez-vous marchez?
In proper Parisian French, that would be marcher.

However... Quebecois generally do NOT speak proper Parisian French. The languages have been drifting in separate directions, very loosely coupled, for nearly 300 years. And according to my daughters' former supervisor - a Parisian who occasionally had to do telephone support for Quebecois customers - the dialects are only MOSTLY mutually intelligible. (Although she expressed it in a rather less polite and evenhanded manner - my daughters learned some interesting French words.)

So, since my French never got beyond high-school level and that was >30 years ago, and I never learned Quebecois, as far as I'm concerned you get a pass on the French.
While local colloquialisms and accents vary, Québec and France still share much of the French language together. And those parts that are shared, do share a common grammar. So in this case, it would indeed be "marcher" for us, as well.
Wikipedia wrote:Historically speaking, the closest relative of Quebec French is the 17th century koiné of Paris.

Formal Quebec French uses essentially the same orthography and grammar as Standard French, with few exceptions, and exhibits moderate lexical differences. Differences in grammar and lexicon become more marked as language becomes more informal.

While phonetic differences also decrease with greater formality, Quebec and European accents are readily distinguishable in all registers. Over time, European French has exerted a strong influence on Quebec French.
As far as Joual goes, we would not be using it in print, so it bears no relevance here. Anything in print, in Québec, would normaly use a fairly standard French, unless the writer wanted to specifically convey that the speaker in the text was using something other than standard French. And even then, any part of their speech that was not specifically using joual words, would still follow standard grammar and spelling.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

You're talking about centaurs, who speak Franglish.

Nothin' normal or common about that.

And applause to you, Mister (*THWACK!*) OW! Uh... Alan. Great job.

I'd even say that story makes for a good "end volume" for the Wapsi Square Extended Wapsiverse Anthology.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Magnificent! A wonderful read. Annie and I are both enjoying it, me reading to her (as is our custom) on this May 14th, 2016- Annie's 41st birthday. Being a Saturday, we are late arising and I only put on my bathrobe to fetch our coffee, whereupon it goes back on the hook after I re-enter the bedroom. Later I will do up hog jowl, Swiss cheese omelets and hashbrowns (Al- is that what you call 'rashers'?), Annie's coffee get raw sugar and milk, mine gets 'Abulita' Mexican chocolate ground up into it.... then a full day of gardening will be Annie' pleasure of the day with the boys and I at her service.

Al, I have a printer in town that is quite capable and reasonably priced. I am thinking that with a bit of editing (corrections only), we can produce a vanity press of this work. It is, beyond a doubt, one of the most complete and well rounded works this lot has produced so far- everybody else- I will post a price that covers the printing only. I am not interested in profit. Al, what would you want for your cut?

Hmmm... cover art... THAT needs to be addressed...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:You're talking about centaurs, who speak Franglish.

Nothin' normal or common about that.
True, but like I said before, Frenglish uses actual French words, and actual English words...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Catching up on reading, after three days of not much time at all, between overtime and selecting my schedule at work for this summer...

Episode 19 (no good deed... ) (I had already read it, but my computer crashed in the meantime, so opening the browser to previous locations took me to the top of the page...)

"Stop right there. Ç’etait pas 'Nous' ç'etait 'Vous’ "
should be
"Stop right there. Ç’était pas 'Nous' ç'était 'Vous’ "

A note to casual readers of this thread:
Al has told me in a PM that the DOC file for this work has accents and such, but that they sometimes did not carry over when copying and pasting the text into the forum. So it's likely that the correction mentioned above is already just fine in the original document...

Episode 21

“Yes, ma’am! I will follow orders.” All too grinned wickedly, 
Shouldn't it be 'Al', not 'All'?

Howe St, past Spruce... Just like we find in Lockeport... Oh, and there's a WHITE Gull Restaurant and Marina, in Lockeport... And a United Church of Canada, on Hall St, which is indeed a few blocks from where the Mayor lives on Howe St.

But don't worry: your secret is safe with me. There's no way Lockehaven could possibly be Lockeport, on Locke Island... So I won't even try to suggest that it is.

(And Al is NOT going to a party in his honor, to celebrate his part in something in which he did not participate... ;) )

Episode 22

"Blackie, who had come up the other side, waved for silence – and when that failed, a bellow of “TA GUELE!” did the trick."

TA GUELE is actually supposed to be TA GUEULE...
(Although, admittedly, it sounds weird if used to address a group, since “ta” is a singular pronoun, not plural. FERMEZ VOS GUEULES would be grammatically correct, but at the very least, the additional 'U' should be inserted...)

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/10/29/f ... y-service/
A trip this summer would have given Al a much different ferry ride back to Portland... (The CAT service starts on June 15, after 6 years off. 2014 and 2015 service was done by NovaStar Cruises...)
I had looked at that, last year, for my bicycle trip to Nova Scotia, but dismissed it: the extra distance to ride down to Portland, and the extra distance to ride East from Yarmouth made it a poorer option than riding diagonally across Maine, and along the edge of New Brunswick, to take the ferry from Saint John, NB, to Digby, NS, before continuing East from there.

Episode 23 – Murphy...

“Coffee is empty and bladder is full.” Yeah... isn't that always the case? :P

Last Note
“Daily on the other hand will likely need to stock up on wine...”
I... think, you had a typo, here... ;)
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

THanks - I'll fix those. I posted that this morning so folks could have a finish to it.

I have heard "TA GUELE!" used in that manner. Really, all he's doing is making a loud noise to get their attention.

Thanks!
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

So much nitpicking, in my previous post, I wanted to make sure this last bit stood out...

I have truly and verily enjoyed reading this latest instalment of the Expended Wapsiverse. It was credible, detailed enough to be able to follow along and to give context to the action, and just plain enthralling. Your characters stayed true to themselves, acting in concordance to what we have seen of them so far. It is, therefore, internally consistent. It was a pleasure to read. Thank you for all the effort you have put into this.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Just Old Al wrote:THanks - I'll fix those. I posted that this morning so folks could have a finish to it.

I have heard "TA GUELE!" used in that manner. Really, all he's doing is making a loud noise to get their attention.

Thanks!
Like I said, I'm not sure "Fermez vos gueules" is actually something that would be used. But still, "gueule" does take two 'u'.

And I concur, about the loud noise aspect, which combined with something that is associated with a not-so-polite "request" for silence, it would definitely work.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:I'd even say that story makes for a good "end volume" for the Wapsi Square Extended Wapsiverse Anthology.
I certainly hope that's not the last we hear of them!

I realize that writing those is probably a lot of work, and since my only "contribution" is that of nitpicking, I have no "right" to demand more... And I can see that it makes for a tidy ending to what started out as rather chaotic (Pillsbury bloodbath, anyone? - Not that that episode started the whole expanded universe, but rather the latest arc...)

But I certainly hope we'll see them again.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Magnificent! A wonderful read. Annie and I are both enjoying it, me reading to her (as is our custom) on this May 14th, 2016- Annie's 41st birthday.
Well, my congratulations to her. She "chose" a good month to be born in... ;)
(And I'm not just saying that because my birthday was last Wednesday... :P )
Incidentally, I have a cousin who was also born on May 14th. And an aunt, who was born on the same date as I (though quite a few years earlier... ;) )
Sgt. Howard wrote:Being a Saturday, we are late arising and I only put on my bathrobe to fetch our coffee, whereupon it goes back on the hook after I re-enter the bedroom. Later I will do up hog jowl, Swiss cheese omelets and hashbrowns (Al- is that what you call 'rashers'?), Annie's coffee get raw sugar and milk, mine gets 'Abulita' Mexican chocolate ground up into it.... then a full day of gardening will be Annie' pleasure of the day with the boys and I at her service.
A dictionary lookup (using the Chrome extension called "Google Dictionary", whereby you highlight a word on a web page, and it gives you a definition) says that it is thin slices of bacon.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

lake_wrangler wrote: But I certainly hope we'll see them again.
We have SUCH plans...trust me, this was just a close to the "Al works himself stupid and recovers" arc. It's a necessary close. i felt in the mood to write a love story and I did, I think, creditably with the help of my co-author DInky.

Now that he's back, there's ALL sorts of work to be done - and he's all charged up, honed to perfection and ready to go for it. THe MIB works' been hanging fire since he left, there's marketing for the Dixie Flyer, the DF MK 2, then that bloody Lanthian carnival ride Sarge insists flies, and then.....

And of course, chaos will ensue.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Re: Rashers:

Anything but thin...they're lovely thick cut proper English bacon.

Potatoes are not part of a traditional English breakfast. Typically eggs, rashers, sausage, toast, fried tomato and if desired white and black pudding (which I despise with a passion).

Now I'm getting hungry. :)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Just Old Al wrote:Re: Rashers:

Anything but thin...they're lovely thick cut proper English bacon.
Somebody needs to teach Google Dictionary a thing or two, then... :lol:
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

Well done, Al!
And now I want bacon. :D
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Ohhh. I got it. Bacon not cut in strips, but slices.

I suspect that might be an American thing, that we cut bacon into strips.

Looks yummy, though.

EDIT: Wait a minute. That's Back Bacon. Or, what we poor sods in the United States call "Canadian Bacon."
Last edited by jwhouk on Sat May 14, 2016 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Proper bacon is MEAT - not fat with strips of flavour in it. It's all down to how things are prepared.

It's hard to get proper bacon here - that Canadian stuff just does not do it.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Just Old Al wrote:It's hard to get proper bacon here - that Canadian stuff just does not do it.
Hey! I resemble that remark!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Y'all kin hang and rattle- Jowl is th' brekfuss cut o' choice....
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.