Holiday Comments Section

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Just Old Al

Re: Holiday Comments Section

Post by Just Old Al »

lake_wrangler wrote:
I am thoroughly enjoying this latest chapter in the saga of your characters. It is touching to see how well Al is loved, even if he didn't realize it completely. I hope his journey goes well.
Just ride along with him...you'll see. This is not TTB by any stretch of the imagination, but I think it will hold the interest.

You have to know with a trained chaos demon like AL that things will not go completely smoothly. Break out the popcorn, and beware thrown objects.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

No vacation is complete unless you trash some vermin along the way
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Sgt. Howard wrote:No vacation is complete unless you trash some vermin along the way
Hush, you! THis is just an old guy on a holiday - nothing special to see here....please ignore the daggers he's wearing....
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Lovely reading, as always.

A few points, though:

If he had come through the Thousand Islands, he would have traversed ONTARIO and Québec... Staying on the 401 in Ontario, he would have never gone near the city of Ottawa...

Also, there are three border crossings in Calais, not two.

On a more amusing note...

Seeing as he's camping on the shores of Passamaquoddy Bay, do you think he'll run into Elliot? :mrgreen:
I mean, he's probably long-lived enough to still be around, no? Though if he considers himself an American citizen, he might not cross far enough into the bay to be seen from the Canadian side... :P
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Read through, love it so far.

Hopefully Rock's spirit didn't end up in the ADMC. ;)

Canada's version of the MIB is probably polite as can be.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

For the interested: The Halifax Explosion wiki.

--FreeFlier
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

... wow... Al, do you have any characters from WS actually in here? I noticed Atsali and Castela in the shopping list, but other than that isn't this entirely our own peoples in this?
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Does Billens count?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Sgt. Howard wrote:... wow... Al, do you have any characters from WS actually in here? I noticed Atsali and Castela in the shopping list, but other than that isn't this entirely our own peoples in this?
That story takes place entirely in the Expanded Wapsiverse... 8-)
(And there's nothing wrong with that, as far as I'm concerned. They are closely related to the main cast, and we, or at least, I, care about them as if they were part of the family.)
(And I just noticed now, that you said OUR own peoples, not YOUR own peoples... Either way, I just hope that was not a mild rebuke, on your part.)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

FreeFlier wrote:For the interested: The Halifax Explosion wiki.

--FreeFlier
I will take time to read it later on. Until now, the only knowledge of that event I had, was via this Canadian Heritage Minute video (you might want to get a tissue, before watching it...)

I also found additional information on the subject, as I was looking for the aforelinked video.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

GlytchMeister wrote:Does Billens count?
Paul never named him- I did
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:... wow... Al, do you have any characters from WS actually in here? I noticed Atsali and Castela in the shopping list, but other than that isn't this entirely our own peoples in this?
(And there's nothing wrong with that, as far as I'm concerned. They are closely related to the main cast, and we, or at least, I, care about them as if they were part of the family.)
(And I just noticed now, that you said OUR own peoples, not YOUR own peoples... Either way, I just hope that was not a mild rebuke, on your part.)

... It's more about can this be published without Paul's permission? If so, I think it a good candidate...
Actually, I think it a GREAT candidate... and understand, I fully recognize that what we have created is a group effort- my only works that avoid the other fan fictionists are "A visit to Phix" which became chapter 1 of "The sphinx and the Centurion", and "U-296"- everything else carries work with Al, Joe, Dink, Taz, Freeflyer and so forth. We are all very proud of this magic we have been gifted with and the way it works- Al in this story is sorta working solo- Dink has been very helpful, and I know I have offered suggestions, but for the most part this is his baby... frankly, I think he is in the wrong trade
Last edited by Sgt. Howard on Mon May 09, 2016 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Just Old Al wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:No vacation is complete unless you trash some vermin along the way
Hush, you! THis is just an old guy on a holiday - nothing special to see here....please ignore the daggers he's wearing....
Hey, some bugs are just asking to be squashed... :twisted:
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:

... It's more about can this be published without Paul's permission? If so, I think it a good candidate...
Actually, I think it a GREAT candidate...
Published... as in print? Or as in radio drama?

Oh, and we did "see" Katherine watch Al drive away...
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Radio drama with illustrations on YOUTUBE- possibly narrated reading with sound effects, or full-scale audio interpretation. Not sure- Joe and I are working on a 'non-wapsi' storyline that features Joe and Neil... but not in the context you know them.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

lake_wrangler wrote:
I will take time to read it later on. Until now, the only knowledge of that event I had, was via this Canadian Heritage Minute video (you might want to get a tissue, before watching it...)

I also found additional information on the subject, as I was looking for the aforelinked video.
BTW, the claim that it was the largest non-nuclear explosion ever is highly dubious . . . there are quite a few explosions that make that claim.

--FreeFlier
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

FreeFlier wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:

BTW, the claim that it was the largest non-nuclear explosion ever is highly dubious . . . there are quite a few explosions that make that claim.

--FreeFlier
Now now... you weren't supposed to get bogged down in the details, you were supposed to be moved to tears by the video... :roll:
:P :lol:

(I, for one, would have no idea on the veracity of that claim...)
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

FreeFlier wrote:BTW, the claim that it was the largest non-nuclear explosion ever is highly dubious . . . there are quite a few explosions that make that claim.
And there are enough different ways that their size can be defined and measured, that they possibly could all be correct.

The Halifax explosion, estimated to be 2.9 kilotons, was almost certainly the largest *up to that time*, but for sheer energy release it has been beaten several times.

On the other hand, as it happened basically in the middle of downtown Halifax it may remain the most devastating non-nuclear single explosion. The property damage and fatalities...

And for strictly accidental explosions it's probably the second-biggest energy release behind a Soviet rocket-launch failure in 1969.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Warrl wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:BTW, the claim that it was the largest non-nuclear explosion ever is highly dubious . . . there are quite a few explosions that make that claim.
And there are enough different ways that their size can be defined and measured, that they possibly could all be correct.

The Halifax explosion, estimated to be 2.9 kilotons, was almost certainly the largest *up to that time*, but for sheer energy release it has been beaten several times.

On the other hand, as it happened basically in the middle of downtown Halifax it may remain the most devastating non-nuclear single explosion. The property damage and fatalities...

And for strictly accidental explosions it's probably the second-biggest energy release behind a Soviet rocket-launch failure in 1969.

... not to mention one of Uncle Clarence's chili farts... THOSE were pretty awesome...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Other than a few cameos, it's essentially all in the Extended Universe. To be honest, Al has never been more than a peripheral player in the Minneapolis paranormal scene - he's an engineer with a bad case of chaos demon.

Yep, it could be modified and moved - and that thought did cross our minds.