Demons of the Past

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Re: Demons of the Past

Post by jwhouk »

"Least the boy didn't try shooting arrows through axe heads," Billens grumbled as he sat back in his chair.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

But facing death requires true courage... something he lacks...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:"Least the boy didn't try shooting arrows through axe heads," Billens grumbled as he sat back in his chair.
Wouldn't be appropriate, I think. As far as we know, Glytch isn't married, or wooing a married woman / possible widow.

He might, however, want to keep an eye peeled for the presence of any sting-rays.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dave wrote:
jwhouk wrote:"Least the boy didn't try shooting arrows through axe heads," Billens grumbled as he sat back in his chair.
Wouldn't be appropriate, I think. As far as we know, Glytch isn't married, or wooing a married woman / possible widow.

He might, however, want to keep an eye peeled for the presence of any sting-rays.
Is there a pun/reference/joke in there? I heard something whistle over my head just now...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Dave wrote:

Is there a pun/reference/joke in there? I heard something whistle over my head just now...
The arrow-through-the-axe-heads incident took place when Odysseus returned home (disguised) after years away, found that he was considered "probably dead", and that there were a bunch of suitors attempting to persuade his wife to declare herself eligible and marry one of them. Odysseus was the only man strong enough to pass the challenge of drawing his own bow and shooting an arrow through the holes in the axe-heads... and he then made his displeasure at the suitors quite obvious. None of the suitors survived.

Many years later, Odysseus' son Telegonus traveled to Ithica, hoping to meet him. In one of those "I really wish I had known this sooner" tragedies of which the Greeks seemed to be quite fond, Telegonus and Odysseus first met under conditions of conflict, neither knew who the other was, and they fought. Telegonus struck Odysseus with a spear tipped with a poisonous spine from a ray, killing him (and fulfilling a prophesy that death would come from Odysseus from the sea).

So, Glytch-the-character ought to be cautious around sting-ray spines. These father-and-son interactions have been archetypal conflicts for at least as long as there's been writing to record them (and probably lots longer than that), so one ought to avoid putting oneself into the path of a high-momentum meme unless it's strictly necessary. ;)

He did, certainly, demonstrate an old saying to his father-of-record, by putting his father on the record: ""How sharper than a serpent's truth it is to have a thankless child!" :mrgreen: Fathers like that are, unfortunately, not terribly rare... and the solution in this case was nicely done.

The whole "Demons of the Past" saga had me on the edge of my seat, waiting for the next installment. Potent stuff, guy!
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Dave wrote: The whole "Demons of the Past" saga had me on the edge of my seat, waiting for the next installment. Potent stuff, guy!
Indeed very well done. Bravo!
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I knew about the bow and the axes, but I did not, however, know about the sting-rays. Fascinating.

Thanks for the compliments!

A note to readers: this is taking place after the events of Reunion (which has yet to be finished). Many things happen involving Glytch at the party, so it was really bloody tricky writing Post-Party-Glytch without spoiling the party or anything that happens therein.
I'm too much!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I have to admit, I am somewhat confused: why, exactly, is Robert Cooper now in protective custody? Was he arrested for something? Is his life in danger, now?

Sure, he showed himself to be a bully, grabbed Glytch's collar, and made verbal threats. But nothing, to my knowledge, that is arrest-worthy. And of all the people who heard the broadcast, only those closest to him would associate the name with the voice. From the sound of it, people working with him (either above or below, in rank) already knew of his abrasive nature, so he probably would not need to fear retaliation from them. And whatever product or business is being conducted by Muramasa, most investors would know nothing of the connection between Robert and the company, so how could stock plummet so drastically?

Maybe I'm just thick, but I fail to see how that short scene being broadcast could have such devastating effects on him. Besides, those who don't know him will only remember this vaguely, after some time...

-- signed: confused... --
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Charges of verbal and physical assault, intimidation and harassment are serious enough.

When those same charges are against a Federal employee...

Oh, and when you have the Alexander Law Firm prosecuting the case, the other side can plead "no contest" all they want.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Robert Cooper isn't just some employee of his company. As he said earlier, he can topple countries. He isn't exactly a celebrity, but let's just say a lot of people know his name and voice... As in, most of the North American branch of Muramasa. And in high business, having a good reputation is very important. Especially when he is the head of marketing and public relations in North America.

Everyone knew he was kind of a dick, but that just meant he got stuff done. But then they found out just how bad he really was. All of a sudden, the face of Muramasa Industrials is an abusive father, both physically, verbally, and emotionally, who became so fixated on screwing over his son he hunted him down.

As for why he needs to be in protective custody: Glytch just broadcasted Robert Cooper being a complete asshole to the whole world. People tend to get a little bent out of shape over child abuse.
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Add to that what I pointed out, and yeah, Billens and company swooped down with the "Trust me, this is for your own protection" thing.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Like I said: chalk it up to my being too thick to figure it out on my own... :roll:
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

WARNING: THREAD NECROMANCY IN PROGRESS! --- WARNING: THREAD NECROMANCY IN PROGRESS!

Six and a half years later, and it's just as fascinating a read, and I'm just as thick as I was back then, apparently, since I still needed to read the explanation as to why Robert Cooper was now in protective custody...

Well done. Had me totally engrossed in all of this.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

I had totally forgotten this remarkable piece of work- to the point of nail-biting at several critical points. VERT well-done!
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Sgt. Howard wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:08 pm I had totally forgotten this remarkable piece of work- to the point of nail-biting at several critical points. VERT well-done!
That's pretty much why I have a tab open to the fanfic index, and am methodically re-reading all of them. Hours upon hours of captivating reading material.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

lake_wrangler wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:05 amI have to admit, I am somewhat confused: why, exactly, is Robert Cooper now in protective custody? Was he arrested for something? Is his life in danger, now?

Sure, he showed himself to be a bully, grabbed Glytch's collar, and made verbal threats. But nothing, to my knowledge, that is arrest-worthy. And of all the people who heard the broadcast, only those closest to him would associate the name with the voice. From the sound of it, people working with him (either above or below, in rank) already knew of his abrasive nature, so he probably would not need to fear retaliation from them. And whatever product or business is being conducted by Muramasa, most investors would know nothing of the connection between Robert and the company, so how could stock plummet so drastically?

Maybe I'm just thick, but I fail to see how that short scene being broadcast could have such devastating effects on him. Besides, those who don't know him will only remember this vaguely, after some time...

-- signed: confused... --
Apparently I didn't post my response at the time . . .

At that level, perceptions are reality.

This episode will cause that man problems for quite a number of reasons . . .

He got caught abusing his son. (For some, getting caught is the unforgivable sin.)

He publicly abused his son . . . this is not only reprehensible in itself, but will be taken as "a demonstrable want of judgement/discretion" - also a (socially/politically/business) near-capital offense.

Because of the way the events were publicized, there will follow investigations that will spread his identity all over the world - it will require a determined effort to avoid learning who he is and his connections.

This will require Muramasa to disavow him lest they be dragged down with him - guilt by association. They can be immoral, but they cannot afford to be caught at it.

Also, if he's at that level, he will have enemies - it's inevitable. These enemies - whether deserved or not - will pile on.

There are things that can be forgiven, but in a case like this nobody can afford to be associated with him, so they will all pile on as a virtue-signal.

What's amusing is that some of them will cite one thing, while actually acting for another reason . . . for instance, a man who disapproves morally and is acting from moral repugnance, might cite "demonstrated want of discretion" . . . Or vice-versa.

--FreeFlier
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I had just read this fanfic a month ago... but since I just finished reading the Dark Knowledge fanfic, I decided to read this one again, as it can be seen as a sequel to the other one.

It was just as enthralling as the first or second time!