The Redemption of Arania

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

DinkyInky

Re: The Redemption of Arania

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:Glytch felt his phone buzz again with yet another email. He pulled it out of his pocket and glanced at it. Another advanced VORP request. I'm going to have to make a tutorial program for the new VORPer... It is getting way too popular, way too fast for me to keep up with on my own... Maybe I can get some of the minion librarians trained so they can take it off my hands... He chuckled softly to himself. Of course, I'm keeping my admin status.
So, does that make Glytch a genie?

*hides before Sarge reads this*
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

DinkyInky wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Glytch felt his phone buzz again with yet another email. He pulled it out of his pocket and glanced at it. Another advanced VORP request. I'm going to have to make a tutorial program for the new VORPer... It is getting way too popular, way too fast for me to keep up with on my own... Maybe I can get some of the minion librarians trained so they can take it off my hands... He chuckled softly to himself. Of course, I'm keeping my admin status.
So, does that make Glytch a genie?

*hides before Sarge reads this*
I'm thinking you mean "before PHIX reads this," ... minions?... indeed...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

And here, we end...
---
Drey pulled the Toyota onto the dirt road that led into the forest.

"This used to be a YMCA camp at one time, or so these maps say," Mori told her. "Take it easy on the bumps! We still have the temporary spare on in the back."

The road ended at a chained gate. The sign on it said, PRIVATE PROPERTY – NO TRESPASSING.

"Well, I guess this is where we park," Drey said, putting the car into Park and setting the parking break. "You say there's some unoccupied woods over by the lake?"

"Like I said – this used to be a YMCA camp at one time," Mori insisted.

They grabbed their tent and remaining supplies, and headed off along the edge of the fence. The fence became a hedge about a quarter mile to the west, and – as a result – there was a small gap between the two. They had to pass things through and then wedge themselves in one at a time, but they managed to get in.

The walk back to the road to the old camp was a bit difficult; the brush was thick, and Drey kept slipping because her generic running shoes weren't up to the task, but the pair managed to work their way to what appeared to be a clearing – and a cottage of some sort.

"That looks a little… rustic… for a camp cabin, doesn't it?" Mori said.

"Maybe it was built in the style of some Native American hut," Drey replied, unsuccessfully shaking off a loose tree branch that had attached to her leg.

"Let's see if there's anything in there," Mori said. The pair approached what appeared to be a door to the hut. Drey tugged on a protrusion from the door, and an opening appeared.

The inside was pitch black . "Grab the flashlight," Drey said. Mori grabbed it out of the pack and turned it on.

They were greeted by a skeletal figure in a black robe.

"Who dares disrupt the home of the J'Bobber?" it breathed out at the pair.

The two girls ran back down the road, screeching the entire way.

"Dos zhahen inbalin ichl mzilt jivvin xuil nindyn draa, Eme' (You were having too much fun with those two, Eme')," came a voice from one of the willows.

"Nind zhahen aluin ulu z'hin ditronw wund udossta zhuanth hut, Saf, (They were going to walk right into our old hut, Saf)," came the reply from the other side of the willow.

"Xunus nind lor los'vuthil ulu dos?(Did they look familiar to you?)"

"Nau, jhal nind inbalus natha b'vecko llois ulu mina (No, but they had a strange scent to them.)"

--- FIN ---
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Brilliant!!!
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

And, as always, we have a copy of a PDF version of this story - via our friends at Dropbox!

The Redemption of Arania (PDF version)
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Bravo! Bravo! Well done!

I am curious: did you have the monoseraphinium in mind all along, or was Arania originally "only" supposed to become a better person? Preplanned or not, that was a wonderful addition to the story. Will we be seeing more of this new angel, in the future? (I am guessing that she is now part and parcel of the fanfic-verse, so I certainly hope so...)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Dave is going to jump all over me for this, but other than the basic concept... I was winging it.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I'm half tempted to make an account named "PunJar" just so it can go "AHEM" at you.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:Dave is going to jump all over me for this, but other than the basic concept... I was winging it.
Me? By no means! Here...

(clinkclinkclink)

I'll pay the Pun Jar fees for you myself this time, in appreciation both of the pun and of the storytelling.

All this Wapsi fanfiction we've been graced with lately, is the best example of group-collaborative writing I have ever had the pleasure of reading. It's amazing. Thank you, folks, one and all!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

And, if anyone wonders what the Wing Woman drives, here's a proxy photo:

The reason why Al noticed the similarity to AHI is that the white with blue stripes is the color scheme of AHI.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Funny - I would have thought the reverse - blue with white stripes... Hey, I won't argue - they are Shelby colours through and through.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Just Old Al wrote:Funny - I would have thought the reverse - blue with white stripes... Hey, I won't argue - they are Shelby colours through and through.
I would have thought so too... That's the first thing that comes to my mind, when reading about that car and racing stripes...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

AHI's trademark color was white - as opposed to Case's red, John Deere's green, and New Holland's blue.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

jwhouk wrote:And, if anyone wonders what the Wing Woman drives, here's a proxy photo:

The reason why Al noticed the similarity to AHI is that the white with blue stripes is the color scheme of AHI.
Vroom vrooooom!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Just curious whether everyone is aware of the slang meaning of wingman and wingwoman.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Warrl wrote:Just curious whether everyone is aware of the slang meaning of wingman and wingwoman.
In Al's reasoning, she's his right hand gal, so it loosely fits.

--Safyr Drathmir
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Warrl wrote:Just curious whether everyone is aware of the slang meaning of wingman and wingwoman.
This ain't Al's first rodeo...and TBH that is a far more modern interpretation of the term than he would admit to knowing - though he is familiar with it. For him it is as Dinky says - she is his majordomo and strong right hand...in more ways than one.

And let's face it - with his luck Al needs all the help he can get.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Of course, Arania may need a wingman in her attempts at finding luuurve... but then again, she asphyxiated herself, so I don't think she's interested in anyone (or anybeing) in particular at the moment...
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Just Old Al wrote:
And let's face it - with his luck Al needs all the help he can get.
Al, if we stop using materials from ACME and LUCAS, we'd be just fine... but NOOOOO, you gotta have your discount coyote bait and your useless limey 'lectrical crap...
... now, if we could just look at some other sources here...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

How about Buy 'N Large?