The Redemption of Arania

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Re: The Redemption of Arania

Post by jwhouk »

(...Damn, man, that was better than what I had...)

EDIT: This is probably better after the next post...
Last edited by jwhouk on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Ari turned around and saw her. There was a moment of shock, recognition-
"... I wanted... to kill you," she whispered, "you and your baby both. I wanted you dead... and your Husband as well... WHY DID YOU LET ME LIVE?" she wailed.
"An odd question- do you seek my death now?"
"NO!!! I have seen myself through mortal eyes! I am... ashamed, disgusted... I AM REVOLTED BY WHAT I WAS!!! I sought power... control... I thought myself strong... I am... nothing, I am completely nothing... I have been shown true strength and power by mortals... by what I called 'creatures of dust'... power of character, strength of honor... and now I understand why humans hold the world as they do. There are not many who can be admired... not truly admired... but those carry the burden of the rest with ease... I am not fit to be in their company... WHY DIDN'T YOU KILL ME?!? I DESERVE DEATH!"
Phix regarded her appraisingly- "Perhaps... at one time... but I don't see Arania here. I see YOU here, but not Arania. But... YOU are not ... totally... mortal, are you?"
"I... I don't know,"
She continued to look at Ari- then, without warning, Phix went full feral and thrust a claw at Annie- without thinking, Ari blocked Phix's arm and put her in a lock hold. Annie didn't even have time to react until the two combatants were eye to eye- Phix smiled.
"No, you're not an Apotropaic Sphinx anymore... but you're not totally human either... unless humans have wings,"
Sprouting from her shoulders were two magnificent white feathered wings. Her hands now had claws, and her teeth were now feral- but her face was human, as was her body.
"Now ask yourself- 'what am I?'... and let me know when you decide..." Phix calmly stated, "and given the fact that you KNOW I can kill you, and yet you just risked your life to protect this 'creature of the dust' (she gestured at Annie)... I would say that mortality is rubbing off on you... at least, some of the better aspects. Who mentored you?"
"Al Richer... Greg Howard over there... his Wife Annie... "
"You seem to be in good hands. Why didn't I kill you? Neil asked that I spare your life, just as he spared mine,"
"He ... he BESTED you? YOU?" Ari asked in wonder.
"He did- I sported a broken nose and two black eyes for quite a spell," she said with no small amount of pride, "and the bruises around my neck where he choked me to unconsciousness,"
"I had no idea..." she spoke in wonder.
"Neither did he- I attacked him, he knew nothing of Sphinxes. By the way, do NOT use the old customs to find a mate. Any man who would hit a woman generally is a coward and not worth your time,"
"But ... Neil... "
"I ATTACKED HIM!!! and he never saw me in human form until AFTER he taught me manners- he saw me as a beast, a monster,"
"And now?"
"YOU don't need to worry about how he sees me now- just rest assured he likes what he sees," she smirked.

(there is more to follow, but I gotta get to bed)
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"So - who are you?"

Arania looked up at Phix - who was back in her matronly human librarian guise - and froze.

Then, just as quickly, she unfroze.

"I am Ari Wardoff. I work for a wonderful man named Alan Richer at his shop in Bloomington. And I've got a Mustang that makes me feel like... flying."

She looked up at Phix.

"I'm sorry. I... I can't... I don't know what to say..."

"You don't have to, dearie. You've said volumes."

"I... I think I need to go home now. I was going to watch the premiere of Big Brother that I had on DVR..."

"Why don't you go do that, Ari," Phix responded. "And drive careful - you know how things can get over the Labor Day weekend."

Ari simply nodded, got up, took her coffee and went out the door to her car.

There was a collective sigh of relief from all parties - except for a confused Annie.

"What was that all about?"

"Dear, she had a mental block surrounding who she used to be," Greg explained. "And you may have accidentally tripped it."

"I don't think that was entirely the case, Gregory," Phix said plainly. "Arania has been... hmmm, I'm not even sure how to put it. She's been... growing."

"Is... that a good thing, or a bad thing?" Greg asked.

"Good... I think. The way she responded? I think that was genuine." She peeked out one of the blinds of Tina's shop. "I do think, however, that I may need to ask someone to tail her - pardon the pun - for a while."

She turned to Tina. "Sorry for the interruption, Dear. Can you get me an Earl Grey, to go? I'll be back to pick it up in a few minutes."

With that, the Librarian exited the shop with a POIT, amid a few confused patrons - and a barista.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

"Howard," Annie softly asked, "can you explain in better detail?"
Greg turned to his wife- "Arania was an Apo Sphinx- when Phix was pregnant, she made a power play for the Alpha position. She got a couple other Apos involved- there was hope for a disruption that would kill Neil... their soothsayer predicted his death... it didn't happen and somehow Arania got found out- she was turned human, stripped of her memories and banished from the library. Apparently, she has... evolved, I guess,"
"into what?"
"Not sure... but were I to make a guess at it, I would say an Angel,"
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

A guardian angel?

--FreeFlier
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

FreeFlier wrote:A guardian angel?

--FreeFlier
(Whistles quietly)
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

FreeFlier wrote:A guardian angel?

--FreeFlier
Whatever you call it, Greg and Al can use all the help they can get....especially Greg.
:twisted:
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Author's note: I'm not a big fan of the CODE boxes, but in a way it helps because it makes the reader scroll down to read the entire thing. Interactive storylines, ladies and gentlebeings!

---

Code: Select all

FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATIONS - DEPARTMENT OF PARANORMAL AFFAIRS
TOXICOLOGY EXPOSURE REPORT

DATE: 31 MARCH 2016
TIME: 1418 HRS LOCAL
PRIMARY INDIVIDUALS INVOLVED: <CLASSIFIED; see protocol X141001-7449 for clearance>
ELEMENTAL EXPOSURE: See Description
PERSON TESTING ELEMENT: <CLASSIFIED>
DESCRIPTION OF INCIDENT: 
On date and time at location stated, radiation alarm went off at Depository 2's containment center, indicating what was believed to be a radioactive waste leak. Subject utilized on-site cleanup technique using Class 1 Radiation Suit, successfully transferring container to a non-leaking secondary containment unit. While doing so, she was exposed to what on-site meters registered as 350 Sv (Sievert Units) of radiation. 

C1RS subject wore was only rated to 100 Sv/hour. US NRC regulations limit exposure to employees at 50 mSv (milliSieverts)/year. 

Aide worker <CLASSIFIED> assisted subject in evacuating from area; worker's Dosimeter read at 100 mSv, and both were placed in decontamination showers. Both subjects dosimeters registered at 10 mSv after decontamination.

After subject and aide worker was treated and removed to Abbott Northwestern Chemical Treatment Unit, analysis of the containment system indicated that the radiation coming from the leaking container was at 350 mSv approximately two hours after the incident; the levels dropped further to 100 mSv within four hours, and down to 35 mSv within eight hours. Normal operating level of 25 mSv was reached at 2301 hours local. 
Greg looked at Al. "Wait a minute, 100 MILLISIEVERTS?"

"Yes, I know, it dropped fast," Al explained, "but that was how the facility was designed..."

Greg smacked him on the shoulder with the report.

"NO, you stupid GIT! I was exposed to more radiation than workers cleaning up Fukushima?"

The box was supposedly greater than what was at the core of Chernobyl, old boy," Al told him with a steady glare. "Keep reading, it gets stranger."

Code: Select all

Spectral analysis of material suggests that item inside original container was constructed of a lead-mica alloy, known to the Department to be Anasazi in origin. Research suggests that the container held a small 1 cm x 1 cm x 1 cm cube filled with a powder-level chemical, known to the Department as monoseraphinium. The chemical, once exposed to an oxygenated environment, has a half-life of approximately 350 mSv/hour. By the time analysis could be completed to determine composition, approximately 99% of the chemical had degraded to non-toxic sodium borate. 

Effects of exposure to monoseraphinium at the amount subject received are unknown. 
Greg's eyes widened.

"Uh, does this mean I should go ask Neil for a bit of elixir?"

"No. You weren't exposed to the stuff directly, so you didn't get enough except some trace effect. Though you might want Annie to check for feathers in your bed..."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

---

"Monoseraphinium?" Neil unconsciously frowned at the term, as most scientific names for things tended to butcher his native language.

"Yes," Phix explained as they walked through the Library's halls. "And there seems to be a dearth of research on the subject. Though it's referred to in Islam, Sikh, Zoroastrianism and Neoplatonism - and even in the Brahma, if I understand correctly - the one area where it was most studied was in Judaic history."

"Which means..."

"OY! My ears were BURNING! You two were talking about something, and it obviously involves ME since you are here in my study!" Nicodemus rose from his desk in the Religious Studies section of the Library and greeted the pair. "So what has happened now? Another case of face burn? Or you want to give that goyim part of the Torah as well?"

"Hello, Nicodemus," Phix said patiently. "What do you know about Monoseraphinium?"

Nicodemus' face dropped at the term. "What did you say?"

Phix repeated the name. "It appears to have... interesting effects on people."

"Where was this found?"

"A container in the Yucatan," Neil stated. "Our friends the Anasazi apparently had some in their possession. And, as you can guess - it was highly radioactive."

Nicodemus' face dropped. "Oh, this is terrible. Terrible... Was anyone hurt?"

"No - the exposure was limited, and the radiation levels dropped quickly," Phix explained. "But the report we received from MIB didn't specify what it was."

Nicodemus frowned. "I think I may know what this is of which you speak - but I will need to look through my personal archives, for I don't think there are many references to... 'angel dust'... in the various writings."

"Angel dust?" Neil asked, incredulous.

"Well, what do you THINK that term means, you who speaks the 'mother tongue' of science?" Nicodemus said somewhat derisively. "Let me look through my archives. When I find it, I will get back to you." He paused for a moment. "Who was the first to come in direct contact with the substance?"

"No one - it started leaking, according to the MIB report, and a worker transferred the leaking container to a new sealed container without touching it..."

Nicodemus' face froze. "But there was someone in the presence of the item?"

Phix and Neil looked at each other, and nodded in the affirmative to him.

"Oh. Oh my. If this person was human... OY! I had best get moving, this might mean life or death..."

He scurried off before Phix or Neil could say anything.
Last edited by jwhouk on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

jwhouk wrote:---
Or you want to give that mensch part of the Torah as well?"
I could be mistaken, but I believe Nicodemus would refer to Joe as " that Goy"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

jwhouk wrote:
"No. You weren't exposed to the stuff directly, so you didn't get enough except some trace effect. Though you might want Annie to check for feathers in your bed..."
Bwahahahahaaaaaa! I'm dying here. :lol: :lol:
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

DinkyInky wrote:
jwhouk wrote:
.. now you've got me neurotically checking my shorts...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:
jwhouk wrote:
.. now you've got me neurotically checking my shorts...
ROFLMAO

I'm sorry. I've gotten some of the worst news in my life ever today, stuff that even trumps my sunly becoming a single mom when my son was a toddler, and it's like divine intervention that I log in to read all of this. Laughter really cures all.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Sgt. Howard wrote: .. now you've got me neurotically checking my shorts...
Pinfeathers ITCH....

I can picture you trying to walk, scratch and curse at the same time.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

“Enough of ogling this stupid report – it’s not telling me anything. That is IS telling me, however, is that by all rights and the laws of physics Ari should have been as dead as Pompeii by the time she got to the door. She should not have been able to function within a minute or so of that exposure.”

Greg frowned. “Are you sure? The dosage was awfully short-“

“With a dosage of 350 SI there is no short – there is simply dead. If you look back to what was incorrectly called the Manhattan Project, there was a man who took a dose that killed him in days – Louis Slotin was his name.

If you look him up you will find out that he took a dose of 29 – TWENTY-NINE – Sievert units.

To equate it to the old system, 1 SI is about 100 of the old REM units they used to discuss. You remember the radiation protection they taught you back in the Army, I take it?”

Greg had gone grey. “Yes, I do. They taught us a fatal dose was around 800 REM – or 8 SI from what you’re saying.”

“Yes. To be blunt, with her exposure being what it is your Samaritan act should have made you either very sick as well, or dead. The 100 MilliSi you took was nothing compared to what you should have taken just from her suit.

We need to look at the footage of the accident again. I have GOT to know how she survived – by all rights she should not have.”
Last edited by Just Old Al on Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Just Old Al wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote: .. now you've got me neurotically checking my shorts...
Pinfeathers ITCH....

I can picture you trying to walk, scratch and curse at the same time.
You guys got me in trouble!

My son just sent me to my room...he couldn't concentrate on homework. Told me to stay in here until I can behave...

--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:"Angel dust?" Neil asked, incredulous
Yeehah! :lol: That was exactly my reaction when I first read the term in the MIB report. :lol:

To raise a minor nit: the Sievert is a unit of radiation dose (not rate). Rate numbers are given in terms of e.g. milliSieverts per hour.

Dosimeters are supposed to read out the total accumulated dosage of radiation received. Hence, "Both subjects dosimeters registered at 10 mSv after decontamination" really should not have happened... decontamination would not have eliminated the dose they had each received.

A rate meter (e.g. Geiger counter, or scintillation detector) would have read out a lower radiation rate (e.g. 10 mSv/hour or 10 uSv/hour) after decontamination, but the dosimeters should have stayed at their previous readings (or a bit above) unless they're broken.

(Remind me to post some of the gamma-ray spectra I've been taking lately using my home-made scintillation detector and multi-channel analyzer. It's sensitive enough to measure the radiation emitted by a container of Morton Lite Salt).
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

It's a story, people.

---

Al reviewed the video from the containment procedure again. Every single time he went through it, he saw Arania do everything to the letter - go in, remove the leaking container, put it in a new, clean container, lock down both...

But, for all intents and purposes, she should have been dead by the time she reached the door.

After the 20th time, he finally noticed something. The rad readings had gone down immediately after she put the leaking unit in the new container... drastically. As in, from Chernobyl-critical to cosmic-rays-on-the-ISS level. That much of a drop should have resulted in an explosion that put Hiroshima to shame.

He rewound the video on his workstation back to her opening the leaking container. That was when the rad reading had dropped significantly.

It was also where he saw a glint from her left hand.

Al had seen that glint before, and had not thought of it - but now he realized what it was.

The seal around the gloves. He'd had issues with that rad suit before; the godsdamned gloves had a seal that was antagonizing to get on properly. And Ari had only minimal training on the thing...

Al froze the frame - sure enough, the seal had opened just enough that there was a leak in the suit. Add to that how she had failed to turn on the respirator, and she should have dropped dead at that exact instant.

...But she didn't.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

A few minutes later in the back shop, Greg and Al sat in front of his desk. The large wall mounted screen behind it was showing the video recorded of the incident. The video was good – in places like that you want quality – and the evidence was clear.

In came a figure in a radiation suit, who went to one of the containment units, opened it, carried a container from it to another unit, slammed and keyed the second down, then went back and slammed and keyed the first, the figure, moving much slower now, headed for the door…and fell. Dragging itself upright it made it to the lock, cycled it, and entered.

They watched it again and again, enlarging and enhancing the video of the figure and its movements and checking them frame by frame. Entering, moving, opening and closing the containment units – all was as it should have been. As the damaged package was removed from the containment unit Greg was horrified by what he saw. He stopped the video, framed it back a few seconds on the computer, and stepped it through.

As Ari reached into the containment the sleeve of the suit unsealed, leaving a section of her arm exposed.

Greg turned white as a sheet, said “I’m going to be sick” and stumbled for the toilet room. Al, sitting numbly, could not turn away as the figure finished its halting run for the door. He had seen this before, and it held a sick fascination for him. Now Greg had seen it as well – so there was no doubting the evidence of his eyes.

Greg returned, still white and shaky but recovering. “Is it my imagination, or did I just see a death sentence on that screen?”

Al said, “If you didn’t then I didn’t either – and believe me I did. The contact of that material with her skin if she had even the tiniest scratch or blemish should have been death even over and above the radiation exposure.”

“So, in short, there is no way in the world that she should be alive due to either – never mind both.”

“Aye.”
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

---
Billens hated doing this kind of reconnaissance, but it'd been required of him from the highest level of MIB - namely, Mrs. Antonia herself.

She pulled up to her apartment complex in the new Fort Snelling Apartments. They'd converted some of the old barracks beside the golf course into a series of low-income apartments, and she had snagged a decent unit on the top floor. A lot of the other barracks were still empty and abandoned - there were some issues of who had ownership of the buildings, but that wasn't Billens' area of interest.

She parked the car in her assigned spot, and walked, somewhat dazedly, to the side door of the apartment. Billens brought his wrist up to his chin; "Target has entered home."

A tinny female voice replied, "Copy that. Monitoring now."

Billens quietly got out of the LTD and wandered over to the Mustang. He took out a hand-held meter and scanned over the car.

Rad units normal... Doesn't look like anything abnormal; of course, she got this thing months after the case, but...

He went back to the LTD, sat back down and swiped on his cell phone.

"Yeah, it's Billens. Subject's vehicle is clean. You'd think she'd be glowing like a Christmas tree, even five months after... No, that's you-know-who's duty at the moment... I'll keep her advised."