Training Exercises

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

ShneekeyTheLost

Re: Training Exercises

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

GlytchMeister wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion any chair or bed that is meant to support Prroul heavily features Roman architecture or possibly Lanthian engineering... And could easily be used as a support pylon footing for large, heavy structures. Like a dayum bridge pillar.
*fingers twitch involuntarily*
I'm very tempted to try to create such a bed or chair... It seems like an interesting challenge...
It's not just the fact that he weighs darn near half a ton, it's the fact that he weighs darn near half a ton, and his arse is only about three or four feet wide at most. So you've got a much higher weight per surface area than typical. If the weight was more spread out, it wouldn't be as big of a problem. But when he plunks himself down on something, particularly something very cheaply made out of the lightest construction materials the manufacturer could get away with...

I will admit, Prroul kinda did that to the SUV on purpose, and deliberately sat down hard to provoke that effect. However, with that kind of load imbalance, there's no way it would've gotten there even if he hadn't made his point. The bed was an accident, but considering you can break those things with a bowling ball being dropped, it never stood a chance in hell.
Glytch has never been a big brother. He had an older half-sister, but she... Didn't get along with pretty much anyone, so she was gone for most of his life, only ever turning up groveling and sniveling when she was too poor or needed help with something.
As a result, he was quite unprepared for the surge of protective emotions he experienced when he looked at the reports from his crawler swarms he had cast out to search for more information on Master Prroul. The No-Tell Motel, and the accompanying cover story from MIB, were especially provocative.
After a few moments spent reeling (he still hadn't quite gotten the hang of being courageous), Glytch turned back to his project, muttering to himself. "I think I may have to have a... chat with this... Prroul character."
We do need to follow up on this scene. I think it would be amusing all 'round, and show that Prroul really does have a sensitive side, much as he tries to hide it, as long as you aren't trying to pump him full of lead. He might even be impressed with the Parkour, although he might make a joke to the tune of 'Expect the French to make a martial art out of running away...'. However, when you realize the respect he has for any of the martial arts, it really is a left-handed compliment. Even if it doesn't much sound like it.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

GlytchMeister wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion any chair or bed that is meant to support Prroul heavily features Roman architecture or possibly Lanthian engineering... And could easily be used as a support pylon footing for large, heavy structures. Like a dayum bridge pillar.
*fingers twitch involuntarily*
I'm very tempted to try to create such a bed or chair... It seems like an interesting challenge... . . .
It's not that hard: look at the way a waterbed is designed. The water in a king-size waterbed weighs approximately 1600 pounds, plus the weight of the bed structure and the weight of the occupants. The biggest challenge is getting the weight distributed into the building structure evenly enough.
ShneekeyTheLost wrote:It's not just the fact that he weighs darn near half a ton, it's the fact that he weighs darn near half a ton, and his arse is only about three or four feet wide at most. So you've got a much higher weight per surface area than typical. If the weight was more spread out, it wouldn't be as big of a problem. But when he plunks himself down on something, particularly something very cheaply made out of the lightest construction materials the manufacturer could get away with...

I will admit, Prroul kinda did that to the SUV on purpose, and deliberately sat down hard to provoke that effect. However, with that kind of load imbalance, there's no way it would've gotten there even if he hadn't made his point. . . .
I hate to say this, but . . . It depends on what kind of an SUV . . . a full-size (Expedition, Suburban) would suffer damage to the seat, but the lowest-rated versions are rated as half-tons and they can stand considerably more briefly. Three-quarter tons were probably the most common, and Suburbans were rated for up to a one-ton load in the heavy configurations, and modifications could raise that even further.

Your typical small SUV like my Subaru Outback weighs 4000 pounds or more, and the tires are normally rated for at least 2000 pounds per tire, so a half-ton load wouldn't do that much damage.

I have loaded my half-ton Chevy - same basic frame and suspension as a Suburban - with more than 3000 pounds without damage, though I was very careful about loading evenly and driving slowly (45 mph max) and gently.

The lopsided load is a nuisance, but if he was on the right side the weight of the driver would partially offset that.

The description led me to think he weighed several tons, but when I started thinking about it, I realized he couldn't without causing more damage just by walking around: the ground pressures would be too high.

--FreeFlier
ShneekeyTheLost

FreeFlier wrote:I hate to say this, but . . . It depends on what kind of an SUV . . . a full-size (Expedition, Suburban) would suffer damage to the seat, but the lowest-rated versions are rated as half-tons and they can stand considerably more briefly. Three-quarter tons were probably the most common, and Suburbans were rated for up to a one-ton load in the heavy configurations, and modifications could raise that even further.

Your typical small SUV like my Subaru Outback weighs 4000 pounds or more, and the tires are normally rated for at least 2000 pounds per tire, so a half-ton load wouldn't do that much damage.

I have loaded my half-ton Chevy - same basic frame and suspension as a Suburban - with more than 3000 pounds without damage, though I was very careful about loading evenly and driving slowly (45 mph max) and gently.

The lopsided load is a nuisance, but if he was on the right side the weight of the driver would partially offset that.

The description led me to think he weighed several tons, but when I started thinking about it, I realized he couldn't without causing more damage just by walking around: the ground pressures would be too high.

--FreeFlier
He has learned how to manipulate his center of gravity to keep from leaving footprints in the concrete, much like an expert sumo can.

I was thinking it was a Ford Explorer with pre-recall tires. And he was exerting significantly more force than one might otherwise think. He wasn't just sitting down, which might've caused the SUV to rock at most, he was putting his muscle into the downward movement. Mostly because he had absolutely no intention of surrendering freedom of movement to that degree and wasn't about to permit himself to ride in such a thing. Emerauld, he trusts. These MIB? Not so much. He's seen more than one despotic secret service being used improperly in his days.

I figure his weight is somewhere between a half-ton and full ton. Spread out over a very small area.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

He's still limited to what he weighs, though dropping in would increase the impact . . . if the SUV had been driven at highway speed long enough for the tire to reach full temperature, and the tire pressure was set as low as Ford recommended (proper inflation largely mitigated the risk of failure) then maybe.

Given he had formed intent, I'd just say he did it deliberately with magic.

--FreeFlier
Last edited by FreeFlier on Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I'm still trying to figure out which one of these guys we should be more worried about - Prroul or Poseidon.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

jwhouk wrote:I'm still trying to figure out which one of these guys we should be more worried about - Prroul or Poseidon.
Imagine having both a Condition Furball and Condition Angry Wet Blanket colliding.

Say goodbye to the continent.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

jwhouk wrote:I'm still trying to figure out which one of these guys we should be more worried about - Prroul or Poseidon.
Poseidon. Prroul is a house tabby compared to him.

Hell, Prroul's got an invite to the anniversary party just to get the elves there. :) You can ask him yourself.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Awakening to a call of nature, Emerauld noticed a few things. The temperature was stifling on one side, and much cooler on most of the other. Trying to get up, she felt a massive weight on her midsection, and touching it thought, "Oh right. I have a furry hot water bottle," suddenly glad Prroul was not a mind reader.
She gently removed the arm and moved to get up...*flump*...only to have the arm drape back over her again. Every time she removed it, it would gently flump back in place.

*sigh*

"Prroul, nature is screaming, and unless you wish a flood, Move. Your. Arm." She was rewarded with a low rumbling chuckle as he moved his arm.
Quickly rising, she made use of the room as she remembered Katherine instructing her, silently blessing her for her kindness. Flushing and then starting the water in the sink, she looked at the bottles and paper wrapped cakes of "soap", finding herself wishing for...

"Blessed be! A real soap cake," she said, breathing in the scent of sage wafting off the soap, and happily washed up.

Returning to the mattress on the floor, she sat down and listened to all the night had to tell her. She heard the steady heartbeat of Prroul, and his soft purring breathing, the heartbeat of the guard stationed outside keeping a weather eye out for trouble.
So too did she hear the sounds of Nature in this city, the trees struggling to adapt to growing within a stony forest, the animals nestled in the shelters they managed to uncover...the pattering of the nocturnal creatures, on the hunt for food.

Satisfied all was well, she laid back down on an unoccupied corner of the bed, and closed her eyes.
As she drifted off to sleep, a nagging feeling entered her mind as she wondered how that soap cake had made it into the room.
Last edited by DinkyInky on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
ShneekeyTheLost

Just Old Al wrote:
Poseidon. Prroul is a house tabby compared to him.

Hell, Prroul's got an invite to the anniversary party just to get the elves there. :) You can ask him yourself.
Indeed. Prroul can be a handful, particularly when pissed off. You'd need something in at least 30mm to be able to really cause him to start being concerned. Hand to hand, he can rip up just about anything short of a Golem.

Poseidon, on the other hand, can cause tsunami that can level entire coastlines. Piss him off enough, and the Yellowstone Caldera might pop off, wrecking the entire North American continent. He may actually be immortal in the original definition of the term. He actually COULD take on a Golem and win. Or at least neutralize the golem as a threat.

Prroul is a local threat. If he can't get his hands on it, or at least throw something at it, then it is mostly safe from him (barring archery or some other ranged weapon). Poseidon can level entire countries with a single action.

Having said that, if a fight did break out between the two of them, it wouldn't matter that Poseidon would eventually win. There wouldn't be any surviving bystanders to witness the victory. Prroul would be just enough of a threat that Poseidon couldn't just brush him off. And when Earthshaker gets serious, cities cease to exist. Then again, they have no real reason to fight, since they are not operating at cross-purposes.

Prroul at the party is going to be interesting, assuming he isn't busy training a certain salamander at the time.

I also can't wait to see someone state "I was expecting a snowshoe siamese" in reference to him. Fortunately, Prroul is completely ignorant of memes.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote: I also can't wait to see someone state "I was expecting a snowshoe siamese" in reference to him. Fortunately, Prroul is completely ignorant of memes.
Ohhhhhh. THAT'S where that comes from. Gotcha.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Wolf-who-watches wrote:Siamese do not wear snowshoes . . . Siam is too hot for snow. /head-tilt/ /noselick/
:? :? :?

--FreeFlier
ShneekeyTheLost

A sketch of what Prroul looks like:

GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

...his claws are retractable, right? Otherwise his feet would click whenever he walks on a hard surface. And that can make being sneaky a bit difficult.

*smirks*

Unless somebody makes him some booties. :lol: Oh, gawd, I can just imagine him walking like a cat with booties... It would be something straight out of the Monty Python Ministry of Funny Walks. :lol:

That's a very good drawing, by the way. Did you sketch, ink, and then erase the sketch after the ink was dry?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
ShneekeyTheLost

GlytchMeister wrote:...his claws are retractable, right? Otherwise his feet would click whenever he walks on a hard surface. And that can make being sneaky a bit difficult.

*smirks*

Unless somebody makes him some booties. :lol: Oh, gawd, I can just imagine him walking like a cat with booties... It would be something straight out of the Monty Python Ministry of Funny Walks. :lol:

That's a very good drawing, by the way. Did you sketch, ink, and then erase the sketch after the ink was dry?
The claws are, in fact, retractable. I commissioned the drawing a number of years ago. The artist has significantly improved her style since then, and can be found on deviantart.

Not booties, but he does occasionally wear Waraji (woven rice straw sandals). When he runs in them, his claws extend into the front of the sandal to reduce flip-flopping and increase traction.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:...his claws are retractable, right? Otherwise his feet would click whenever he walks on a hard surface. And that can make being sneaky a bit difficult.

*smirks*

The claws are, in fact, retractable. I commissioned the drawing a number of years ago. The artist has significantly improved her style since then, and can be found on deviantart.

Not booties, but he does occasionally wear Waraji (woven rice straw sandals). When he runs in them, his claws extend into the front of the sandal to reduce flip-flopping and increase traction.
Booties...bwahahahaaaaa! And a cute lil jingle bell collar.

If I cast before you close, you'll never catch me!

*runs*

--Safyr Drathmir
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

AN: This will teach me to double check before posting, as a certain filking individual has forgotten to post the bit before this, so when I catch him, I will just edit that to go before this part.

*cue the music*

Edit: Missing bit completed, it is. Read it, you shall.

With a yawn and stretch, carefully NOT extending his claws, Prroul awoke with the dawn. Emerauld was already stirring as well, he noted, as he flowed to his feet.

He examined the room available to him and decided to do the First Form from Tai Chi. It was, at the very least, enough to stretch everything out. He wore his hakama and simply went bare-chested. Muscles rippled under fur, although the lattice-work of scarring across his back made it appear to be mangy at first. It was a reminder, his first real lesson after his... alteration. Like the slave that rode alongside Caesar in his chariot... you, too, are mortal.

Emerauld also began her morning stretches. They both moved within the confines of the small room with practiced ease, somehow never getting in each other's ways despite doing two completely different sorts of stretches. It was the mark of two very highly trained individuals who were long since used to working together and did so with almost unconcious reflex.

"So, you said Nodaki has been dealt with, then?" Prroul starts the conversation.

"Indeed. I saw what the end result was personally. They then dropped the now immobile golem-statue into some place in the ocean known for its depth."

"Then I owe someone a deep debt of honor. Who was it who defeated him?"

"It was a combination of several individuals, including a couple of the golems and a salamander named John."

"The golems... had their own reasons for taking him down, and I will not insult them by implying any less. Whom is this John fellow?"

"He appears human, yet within lies the spirit of fire itself. I believe he went to a desolate place to work on controlling the burgeoning power."

"Mmmm. Truly, a unique scenario in my experience." The dry tone of voice was heavy with sarcasm.

"Oh, yes. Indeed." She grinned as she teased him back. She knew several Prroul had trained who had... troublesome powers.

"You have met this person. Do you think I could aid him in gaining control? Do you think I would make a good instructor for him?"

"Mmmm... I would say yes to both. He has a modicum of control already, but I think you could help him refine it and build upon it. His personality is... not incompatible with yours." She remembered Safyr's retelling of her dealings with John. "It would balance the debt neatly, if he would agree."

"So, where can I find him?"

"The Jaguar Girl took him elsewhere by teleportation. Somewhere with few flammables. The Gobi, I believe, was mentioned."

"Mmmph, not too far from my own home, relatively speaking. The mountaintops of the Himalayas would be equally desolate and relatively devoid of flammables, and I could offer him at least basic amenities during his training. However, if he was able to teleport there, I would have to go trekking across half the globe. Again. Granted, it is close to home, so the second leg would be relatively short, but I would still have to find him in a vast empty desert with shifting sands that leave no footprints for more than an hour and too much sand in the air to make a scent trail worth following.'

"I believe there is a party to be scheduled on the anniversary of the defeat of Nodaki. He has already been invited to attend. I also have an open invitation. I can bring you as a... 'plus one', I believe was the phrase." She suppressed the urge to smirk, remembering the amount of matchmaking attempts that went on because many were bored. She wonders if after seeing her bring Prroul, if they would try again.

"There are many there you might wish to meet. The humans comport themselves with honour and courage, and actively work in harmony with those not human. There is a herd of centaurs there. I believe there was a mated pair of human and centaur who were the owners of the property."
She carefully altered the fact that she knew them personally, and well, and that the Matriarch's own son also had a similar pairing, and that they would undoubtedly be able to promptly make conveyances to transport him, just to say they could. She will apologize later for the omission. He would understand.

"Mmmm. It would take me nearly that much time to get to the Gobi. It would be a jest to make even the Monkey King bow in respect to have me find him in time to see him Poit away to here. However, I do... poorly... in urban areas. I would have to spend nearly a full year in an area which I could do little. I would... how does the saying go... either go crazy or drive everyone else there mad with boredom."

"I shall talk with friends. I believe you might find it less boring if I can find the right sort of busywork for you, Prroul. Then we can arrange transport."

"I am sure our polite but terrified government agents could arrange suitable transport," he said, quirking a brow.

"I am sure Buck, the Old Sarge, and Al would have great fun with the challenge of creating conveyances for him," she thought with amusement. "That whole 'challenge accepted' mentality those three have. I shall have to broach the topic...and soon."

"No doubt." she replied, tone not betraying her thoughts.

"I do recall catching a ride on the back of a 'deuce and a half'. However, I am not overly fond of giving up my mobility to them, either. No offense to any friends of yours, but I have... poor experience with secret police."

"Would you gainsay the direct order of a golem? I agree that the first thing a tyrant wishes to control is information, then freedom, then all. However, do you really expect them to double-cross such as her? Or be able to succeed, or survive the attempt?"

"Valid point. As long as she does not permit the horror stories of her youth to color her concern about me being a threat. I was... painted a monster by her people, shortly after I told Nodaki what he could do with his new warrior. Speaking of tyrants controlling information. It was that fear-mongering which, at least in part, was how he got approval for the golem project."

"I think... I think she is a believer in second chances. And she is truly concerned for the safety of all. I believe she can look past the past and see that you are no threat to her goals of the future."

"Then..." Prroul heaves a great sigh "I suppose you had best tell the polite little government agents about your plan for getting me out of their hair so they can stand down that aircraft that has been shadowing me since Nevada."

"I have an idea about that," Emerauld replied, selecting a sheet of paper, pulling it off the pad, she wrote Al on the wrong side, and flipping it over, quickly wrote a letter on the no-tell stationery, rolling it into a scroll and sealing it with candle wax collected from a used candle, warming it, and pressing a bit of chainmail to use as a sigil, completed it.

She pulled a second sheet, wrote Glytch on the opposite side, flipped it over and wrote another short note, rolled it up, and sealed it in the same manner.

"I will be right back," she finished.

"Very well."

"Pardon," she said, to the startled agent. "I need word to Agent Oduya, that I have a Glytch in the system, and need assistance."

"One moment, ma'am." He got on his brick, and seconds later, Brandi appeared from around the corridor chuckling, an audible POIT! heard nearby.

She whispers in Brandi's ear. "This needs to get to Al, as I believe he has a conveyance that won't break, and will be discreet. I trust the proprietor not at all. I have heard him constantly asking the guards if we needed anything.

Glytch has a better way to transport things, so I would like him to 'post a letter'."

"Gotcha." Brandi said, winking. Taking both scrolls, she walked around the corner and...

*POIT!*

Glytch was working on things, and tried not to worry.

*POIT!*

"Here. Read this." Brandi said, handing Glytch a scroll with his name on it.

Friend Glytch,

All is well. Will explain soon. Please 'port this scroll to Al.

Friends always,

Eme'

"Good. Now send this to Al." she said, handing him the other after he read it.

*POIT!*

Pulling out his smart phone, he located Al, and typed in a vorp command.

*VORP!*

Mind at ease, Glytch went back to his plans.

After dealing with problem after problem, Al needed a break.

The audible VORP! ended with a scroll appearing in familiar hand, in his hand.

Grumbling, he opened the seal, noting the interesting choice of stamp.

My dear friend Al,

I am back in the area. I have a v. big problem. Yes, there is a very good tale. I will tell you everything upon arrival.

How much busywork can one find for a seven foot tall, half to full ton walking clockwork killing/magic black spot?
Might...no, I will need to hide him for a spell until the party. Super strong, extra grumpy. Oh, and looks like what you might call a "were cat"? Gets bored v. easy.

Oh, he will be my "plus one." Will also explain on arrival.

Tell Miss Rosalita he cherishes good cooking, and is not as picky as I when it comes to requiring "organic" foods.
Diet: Yes, obligate carnivore, so lots of meat, though he will try most anything, as his honour will not allow an insult, especially to a lady.

Oh, and what sort of transport can be found?

MIB SUV was too confined, plus not strong enough. Wheels exploded from his weight. Machines die if too close to him. He hates anything feeling cage-like.

He really needs to get out of this "no-tell motel" place. I do not trust the proprietor to not be inquisitive for...unsavoury purposes.

Forgive me. I did not know who else to ask that has this level of knowledge and skill, or I would not bother you during this busy time. Glytch told me of your...restorations I believe he called it, to the manor house.

Tory'll Drathmir

Noting the formal use of her name, Al moved to find his Lady love.
Last edited by DinkyInky on Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:The claws are, in fact, retractable. I commissioned the drawing a number of years ago. The artist has significantly improved her style since then, and can be found on deviantart.

Some cat owners buy soft plastic glue-on claw tip covers for their cats, as a humane alternative to de-clawing. The covers last a few months, and the cats can do their usual scratching ritual without actually tearing up the furniture.

Or, instead of using a glue-on, he could dip his claws into that red plastic liquid that's used to make dip-and-dry tool handles, or paint on "liquid electrical tape" (the same stuff... soft vinyl in a solvent). It even comes in multiple bright colors ;)

I'll bet a good nail salon could accommodate any needs along those lines that he might perceive.

The risks, of course, are obvious.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

:lol: :twisted: :lol:

Bwahahahahaaaaaaa!

Well, it was nice knowing ya Dave...

--Safyr Drathmir
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

"Emerauld, do stop pacing." Prroul said at the elf's rapid movement.

"Cannot do that. Praying certain people will not be...upset. this is a busy time and all, and they..."

*POIT!*

"Oh Thank the Gods! Thank all of them!" Emerauld replied, relieved.

She opened the door, and walked straight into Brandi...who gave her a 'Busty mom special'(a hug...a calming hug!). The agent on duty was pointedly looking elsewhere.

"Calm down. Messages received. I have one for you. I was told to tell..ahem...
'Tell Eme' that I am on my way - but it's going to take me a few hours to get there. I need to fit out transport. I am on my way - just tell her to keep her pointed ears on and I'll get there.'" Brandi replied, doing her best impression of Al, which had them both laughing heartily.

"Thank you. Thank you so very much. I am..."

"You can thank me later, once we've gotten you both to safety. If it isn't ready by lunch, we'll order another "Aggieland dream team Special" for him. Just sit tight, okay?"

"Will do." replied Emerauld as stepped back in and closed the door.

"Prroul..." she began.

"Em..." he replied in the same manner.

"About that 'deuce and a half' you mentioned. I have a friend with one. He was a soldier in his youth. This is his 'old girl'. Behave. He is clearing it out to make room for you.

He will be bringing you to his home. We can plan better there. It is safe. I have a hut built there."

Prroul quirked a brow.

"Interesting."

"Brandi says if he is not ready by lunch, she will order that meal again."

"Do thank her for me."

"I already have. She said to save them for when we are safely out of here. She is desperately trying to keep 'mundanes' from being curious."
Last edited by DinkyInky on Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

--Safyr Drathmir
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

A few hours later Al headed out in the ambulance, having gotten the bunks refitted and the floor covered in a 2-inch thick layer of wood - and then topped with the seat cushions from a derelict Defender.

Grumbling amusedly at himself for having mad friends, he slogged the truck off the property and set his course to the no-tell motel. Thankfully Eme had used letterhead from the dump, which had the address, so at least he knew where he was going - if not why he was going. Stereo on playing his usual, he was almost enjoying the trip - until he contemplated what lay at the far end. There were days he swore his life couldn't get any wierder...then it did.

While he drove he contemplated what his "houseguest" was going to be like. Somehow, he couldn't manage to form a mental picture, even despite Eme's note.

Driving into the parking lot, he noticed the loiterer in the suit at the far end, and the nondescript blacked-out SUV parked nearby. "Spooks R Us" Al muttered disgustedly - such obvious presence offended his sense of tradecraft even rusty as it was. He pulled in and parked a few spaces from the SUV, shut the Diesel down and hopped down from the cab.

Walking up to the agent, he identified himself and was allowed to proceed.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."