Training Exercises

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Just Old Al

Re: Training Exercises

Post by Just Old Al »

Al walked up to the door of the motel unit, after clearing the MIB drone on guard. His palms were a bit sweaty, and his thoughts were recoiling a bit from what he expected to find when he walked through the door.

He rapped on the shabby steel door, and after a second or two it opened, to the smiling face of Emerauld.

“May I come in?” he asked, not completely sure he wanted to. Emerauld’s answer was a hug when he stepped through the portal. They separated slightly, arms on each other’s shoulders and still close.

Emerauld felt relief – she had someone other than MIB on the case – someone whose interest wasn’t entwined with someone else’s desires.

“Thank you for coming, Al – I did not know who to ask for this favour – and I know only you of Club Alexander here.”

Al spoke quietly. “You know you can always call on me, Tory'll Drathmir. I am just a human, but I will come. My powers are nowhere near yours, but I will do what I can.”

Emerauld, rather shocked that Al would speak as he did, merely nodded. There were layers to this old human that would bear thinking about at another time. Right now, however, getting out of here needed to be their focus.

They separated, and Al turned toward the other occupant of the room.

Master Prroul had watched this scene with interest. Several things were obvious – first, this human was someone that Emerauld held in high esteem. Secondly, she trusted him completely.

Third, this was an old soldier, of very long service, though he walked with the step and poise of a younger man. He also had a certain bearing around him that felt familiar, and Prroul decided to have a little entertainment when they were introduced.

Prroul decided he liked what he saw.

Al examined the other occupant – and mumbled to himself "Oh, bugger, he's a big one, inn’e?” However, good manners took back over, and he asked, “Emerauld, would you make the introductions, please?”

“Al, I would like you to meet Master Prroul – he is one of my teachers and a being I greatly respect. Master Prroul, this is the S’agt I fought with at the battle where Nodaki was defeated – he is Sergeant -Major Allan Richer…”

“Of Her Majesty’s regiments, I expect?” Prroul rumbled, an amused tone in his voice.

Al was shocked almost to the point of speechlessness. “How…where…who…?”

“My apologies, Sergeant-Major – I did not mean to presume, but I could not resist a bit of amusement at your expense. I am quite familiar with Her Majesty's forces - and you were with?”

“1 Para – until I retired.”

“An honorable group – and you are an honorable member of it. I am pleased to make your acquaintance – and I am comfortable putting myself in your hands.”

Al was to put it politely stunned, but he recovered quickly. “Master Prroul, please call me Al. I am long retired, and I do not use my rank any more. Al will do nicely, and is less tiring.”

“Al, please call me Prroul.”

Al walked forward and offered his hand , and Prroul took it. A brief shake, and then Al was all business.

“I have a vehicle outside that should be able to transport you to my home. The vehicle is more than capable of supporting your weight, though please be careful getting in and out as items not covered by the timbers may not deal with your weight properly. I sincerely apologize, but this was the best I could do on short notice.

I also apologize for the accommodations in the back of the vehicle – again I prepared on very short notice – I considered getting here more important than comfort.”

“Understood – I am more than capable of dealing with it. Please do not concern yourself with the weight – I will ensure that it does not become a problem.”

“Eme mentioned that you have issues with machines – the transport I have is not particularly sensitive being an old military machine but we will have to see what happens.”

“Understood – if I am not defending myself that is a short range problem – if I am in the back the machine should be fine.”

“Good, then. Pack up – I will back up to the door and we’re out of here.”

Emerauld and Prroul gathered what few items they wished to take, and waited. Al slipped back outdoors again startling the watcher (who really should have been more alert) and started to head toward the old ambulance when a POIT! sound popped behind him. A second later he heard hurrying footsteps to see Brandi coming toward him.

“Ms. Oduya, I presume…” Al quipped.

“Hi, Al. You going to be able to handle dealing with this?” Her concern was genuine, as was Al’s response.

“I’ve driven this truck with this much of a load before – and the last time it was weapons and ammunition. As long as he doesn’t get restless back there or I get into a traffic accident we should be just fine. If you want to put a unit a few blocks behind me just in case I get into a scrap with traffic it would be good – but once I get out of the city I should be fine. Relax, meduck – Richer, Al Richer…at your service.” Al mimed taking her hand and bending over it, and Brandi laughed delightedly.

“I will leave them in your hands then, Agent Geezer. “ She laughed again and walked around the corner to poit away as Al sputtered good-naturedly.

Starting the truck, Al backed it to the door, and then set the brake, hopped out and swung the back doors open to cover the remaining distance between the door and the truck body. Emerauld then hurried through, accompanied by Prroul.

When they got to the vehicle, Prroul's amused chuckle rumbled "I am... impressed. Yes, this will do. I've ridden in one much like this... before." Careful to remain on the planks set out to assist in distributing his weight across the axles, he leans forward to enter the back on all fours, tail swishing gently behind him. The truck's end settled with an audible complaint.

Al swung one of the doors closed and though the other called in “Move as far foraward as you can – we need to distribute your weight.” The truck then settled forward more onto a level keel, the weight being easily taken by the suspension and the heavy-duty military-grade tires as the passenger settles into a lotus position across the planks.

Satisfied, Al hurried around to the front, climbed in, set his seatbelt and opened the slider between the front and back.

“Everyone set? We’re out of here.” Revving the engine and releasing the clutch, the protesting Diesel moved them away and toward the road. Discreetly, the black SUV waited a few minutes, then followed should there be some mishap.
Last edited by Just Old Al on Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

You'd better not get into a mishap. That's a half-ton weight sitting behind you. Unsecured.

That's a lot of momentum.

If you or the ambulance stop suddenly... He won't.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

This is not unthought of...believe me. Al's gods are getting a nearly unceasing set of "PLEASE cover my arse on this one it's for a good cause..." mental prayers...
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Just Old Al wrote:This is not unthought of...believe me. Al's gods are getting a nearly unceasing set of "PLEASE cover my arse on this one it's for a good cause..." mental prayers...
Emerauld is doing the same.

"PLEASE do not let any mad fools bother Al. He is being kind to someone he does not know just because I asked."
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

AN: This is Dinky and I...poor elf...

Emerauld remembered coming out of battles feeling better than this.

The faint Diesel smell, confined conditions, lack of visibility and rolling motion of the old ambulance as it handled irregularities in the pavement all combined to make her feel sicker than she could imagine possible in the conditions.
She tried to focus and banish the sensations, but the movement, the smell, the thrumming of the vehicle's engine droning in her ears made it nearly impossible.

Prroul was nearly as noisy as the engine, as like all warriors he dozed when he had nothing better to do, a purr rumbling from his chest.
Emerauld envied the ease with which he could relax in here. She had tried to follow suit, but the motions were worse than the tinkers clockwork ferry's during a storm.

Mind you, he had warned her that conditions in the back of Al's "crackerbox" were not going to be particularly pleasant, but she hadn't realized it was going to be quite this bad.
She had managed to survive Agent McBride's car without too much trouble, but this was just dreadful.

Besides, Al was doing her a monumentally large favour risking his ambulance transporting Prroul to safety for her. Also, she wanted all those agents to calm down. No, she was not going to just abandon them for creature comforts.

But Lord and Lady...*bump*...did it have to...*bump*...move so much?

She hoped she would make it to the farm without losing her last meal...but she wouldn't guarantee it.

The ambulance trundled on - with Al occasionally calling out "Everyone all right back there?"

Emerauld always answered, "Yes, we are well" while considering possible vengeance on any civilization evil enough to create such vehicles.
Last edited by Just Old Al on Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Hey, now, just because Minnesota is known for its two seasons - Winter and Road Construction.....
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Illinois has five: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, Road Construction, and It's Hot
I'm too much!
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Texas has two. Hot, and when does it get hot again.

There are a few random teaser days in-between when a visitor might think, "Ya kno, this might not be a bad place to move tah!" These unfortunate souls are usually identified mid-August by the personal ID found floating in puddle of melted human goo.

And somebody has hurt foot. Not sure what's up. A toe just started swelling. Trip to vet yielded a shrug and handful of anti-inflamatory meds. It has improved but still gimpy. Not had walk for a week. It is tragic.
Attachments
IMG_2307 copy.jpg
IMG_2307 copy.jpg (135.51 KiB) Viewed 14489 times
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Hansontoons wrote:Texas has two. Hot, and when does it get hot again.

There are a few random teaser days in-between when a visitor might think, "Ya kno, this might not be a bad place to move tah!" These unfortunate souls are usually identified mid-August by the personal ID found floating in puddle of melted human goo.

And somebody has hurt foot. Not sure what's up. A toe just started swelling. Trip to vet yielded a shrug and handful of anti-inflamatory meds. It has improved but still gimpy. Not had walk for a week. It is tragic.
I heard it was hot, wet, hot and wet, and February.

Oh, and hug the pooch. Needs lots of love. Check pooch for thorny grass spikes, or splinters, also, are in between toes normal, or pinkish? Smell funny? Best friend has a Brittany Spaniel who gets yeast infection inbetween toes all the time. Had to give her a vinegar wash on toes to help ease the itchiness. Also if it is that, once a week paw wash with Selsun Blue(has active ingredient ketaconazole) kills it nicely.

TROLLCAT is doing his velcro routine because of windy bad weather.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:Illinois has five: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, Road Construction, and It's Hot
Describes Indiana pretty well too.

--Safyr Drathmir
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

DinkyInky wrote:

I heard it was hot, wet, hot and wet, and February.

Oh, and hug the pooch. Needs lots of love. Check pooch for thorny grass spikes, or splinters, also, are in between toes normal, or pinkish? Smell funny? Best friend has a Brittany Spaniel who gets yeast infection inbetween toes all the time. Had to give her a vinegar wash on toes to help ease the itchiness. Also if it is that, once a week paw wash with Selsun Blue(has active ingredient ketaconazole) kills it nicely.

TROLLCAT is doing his velcro routine because of windy bad weather.
Vet did a thorough look, feel, and squeeze. Still puzzled. Between toes is normally pinkish due to allergies, one of the benefits of a purebred dog. Currently on shot regimen to eventually overcome allergies. Hers does not like the pokes. Feet smell normal, I usually get one in the face at some point during the night. :D
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Just Old Al wrote:AN: This is Dinky and I...poor elf...

Emerauld remembered coming out of battles feeling better than this.

The faint Diesel smell, confined conditions, lack of visibility and rolling motion of the old ambulance as it handled irregularities in the pavement all combined to make her feel sicker than she could imagine possible in the conditions.
She tried to focus and banish the sensations, but the movement, the smell, the thrumming of the vehicle's engine droning in her ears made it nearly impossible.

She hoped she would make it to the farm without losing her last meal...but she wouldn't guarantee it.
Meanwhile, in the back of the sturdy means of conveyance, Eme fights to stifle a technicolor yawn...

My sincere appreciation to all that have laboured to entertain the unwashed masses with stories of wonder and amazement.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

And it continues....
EDIT: Missed an attribution - Shneekey gave a hand as well...much appreciated.

The ambulance ground toward the large iron-barred gates as they swung open. Continuing up the drive it didn’t stop at the house, but drove toward the centaur quarters at the back.

Pulling up out front of the centaur quarters, Al shut the Diesel down and opened the back doors. Emerauld tumbled out of the back, nearly as white as the patches of snow on the ground. Moving gracefully, Master Prroul followed her from the vehicle, stretching and examining the area.

This was much more like it, he thought. Grass, trees, neatly shoveled paths and walkways, open spaces and the sound of the wind in the trees as opposed to the horrid constant traffic noises and the unsavoury noises coming from the adjacent units at the brothel…motel.

He stretched and breathed deeply, enjoying the scent of nature on the wind instead of the reek of petrochemicals from traffic. While he was not as sensitive as Em to the effects, and his constitution was sufficient to shrug off the effects on his keen senses, he was still grateful the ride was over.

Al gestured toward the centaur quarters. “Please, come in.”

“Before I came out Daisy and I had a talk about where best to put you two up. I would have much preferred to have you in the main house, but with the construction going on with both houses we really don’t have a suitable place for you – apologies for that Master Prroul, Emerauld. The only rooms occupied at present are by Cindy and Rowdy when they're in residence, but they're easy enough to get along with.”

Both nodded. As they had expected to be camping rough in Eme’s hut at her campsite, this was a marked improvement – and infinitely better than the city.

Prroul raises a hand up in a warding gesture, although the smile was genuine. "Please, do not call me 'Master'. I work for a living." His tone was colored with amusement as he quoted the old saw to suit his purposes. "Em uses that because I was once an instructor of hers. She uses it much in the same way one would say 'Sensei'. I neither have nor desire any titles." He decided to not mention the other individual who insisted on using that title to refer to him since she was currently on a different continent and will remain that way.

Al went on. “The centaur quarters can easily have the relevant electrical circuits isolated without affecting the heating system – it’s tied into the main house system, so the electronics and such are there and shouldn’t be affected. There are pumps and such, but I’ll show you where not to go and those will be fine.

Sanitary facilities are there, so you’re covered for that. Thankfully when they built the place they allowed for the humans, so it should serve you nicely. The only thing I haven’t worked out yet is furniture – we may have to improvise on that – again, apologies.”

Prroul interrupted – Al apologizing for going far out of his way to help needed to stop. “Please, there is no need to apologize. We are the ones who should be apologizing for the imposition we are becoming. Your simply giving us the run of the land is more than enough for us – the addition of comfortable quarters is more than welcome and we will manage nicely. Indeed, this is far more than I had expected, and better quarters than I have seen in several years."

Once Emerauld and I have a chance to look in at her camp, we will make suitable accommodations for ourselves there and be quite comfortable and be able to return the centaur quarters to their proper use. Many thanks for your courtesy and generosity.”

“I wish I could do more. This seems so little. In any case, dinner should be ready later, and I have made sure that there will be plenty of meat for you. We need to talk more about your needs – I want you to be happy and comfortable here”

Eme was touched. She’d expected to be dropped back at her camp and would have been quite happy with that, but Al and the Mistress were making every effort. Lord and Lady bless them both she thought.

They stepped indoors. The warmth, the comfortable but sturdy floors, and the immediate failure of the lighting were all evident. However, Al was ready. Walking to a human-sized table in the central area, he lit a few candles, then pointed to several oil lamps of the old hurricane style.

“These are normally emergency supplies, but they’ll work nicely for you. I had Edward put in new wicks and fill them with vegetable oil – they’ll work nicely and there are no petrochemicals to cause distress.”

He walked over to two vacant rooms and opened the doors. “Again I’ve not been able to arrange furniture yet, but you will at least have comfortable beds for the moment.” He pointed in at mattresses on low wooden platforms made up as comfortable beds – run up by the carpenters working on the houses as a rush job.

“And now, I need to leave you to settle in. I have to go and speak to my dam and see to dinner and such.” And placate a very annoyed dam at having her life turned upside down and her private space reallocated at a moment’s notice – though she would settle down soon enough…he hoped.

Prroul was also touched by the accommodations and how much effort had to have been put into it at such short notice. "You have my thanks. And should you, or your lady, have need of any little thing taken care of, please feel free to think of me as a resource. I'm sure an old warrior such as yourself has no need for assistance in defense, although should an assault occur I would be more than willing to follow your orders. And should there be any tasks which might require significant lifting power where your machines are ill suited to fit, you have but to ask."

With that, Al left to return the ambulance to its oil-stained spot in the garage, and Eme and Prroul started to settle in.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Now, now... Amarillo has four seasons, and we see all four in the course of a week.
Currently 27F, wind N 15mph, WCI 15F, snowing, expected low 17F.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

AmriloJim wrote:
Now, now... Amarillo has four seasons, and we see all four in the course of a week.
Currently 27F, wind N 15mph, WCI 15F, snowing, expected low 17F.
Welcome to Texas, where the weather is made up and the seasons don't matter!
I'm too much!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Many years ago, I had heard about the two seasons of Québec: Winter, and July... :D
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

lake_wrangler wrote:Many years ago, I had heard about the two seasons of Québec: Winter, and July... :D
And you found out it was a lie - there is no July...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Just Old Al wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Many years ago, I had heard about the two seasons of Québec: Winter, and July... :D
And you found out it was a lie - there is no July...
I'm usually fairly reserved, when reading stuff on my computer, but you truly had me laughing out loud, on that one! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Meanwhile, I refuse to deny or confirm the veracity of your statement... ;)
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

A touring comedian friend of mine put up this one...
MNweather.jpg
MNweather.jpg (62.46 KiB) Viewed 14406 times
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

AmriloJim wrote:A touring comedian friend of mine put up this one...
MNweather.jpg
:lol:

That sums up quite a few Great Lakes locations too yanno... :P

--Safyr Drathmir