The Good, The Bad, And The Utterly Panicked...

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Sgt. Howard

Re: The Good, The Bad, And The Utterly Panicked...

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Back in their own abode, Alan shoved Jin into a hot shower and bundled the little one to the kitchen sink for a first bath. Mayahuel busied herself with brewing oolong tea. Jin emerged just as their little girl was being toweled off- the squalling little one was plugged with a full breast and Jin sipped tea while her Mother slipped into the shower. Alan had fetched clean clothes for his wife and dug into the package that was left from the baby shower, producing a diaper. One quick look at the situation, however, told him it could wait- one does not diaper a baby that is comfortably nursing.
"We STILL haven't figured on a name, you know," Alan casually mentioned, "... and I suppose right now it isn't that high a priority... until we register the birth, I guess,"
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Meanwhile, back in Mauston, the manager of the Mauston Park Oasis Restaurant had made a decision to close up the restaurant early that night. The snowstorm that had blazed in over the state had made for difficult driving - and the lack of patrons since that strange family had run out had clinched it.

The chairs were up and the grill was off for the night, and he had just shut the gate connecting the restaurant to the gas station when he heard a chirping sound. Immediately, he checked his own cell phone - nothing. It sounded like it was coming from the dining room. He did a perfunctory search, but the ringing stopped.

Whatever, he thought. We'll find it in the morning when we open - if, of course, we do open tomorrow.

He locked the doors to the dining room, not realizing that in the booth just beyond the last one he'd searched lay an iPhone whose screen flashed "Missed Call" - with a Minneapolis phone number and the visage of a strawberry-blonde with glasses as the caller.

The screen stayed lit for a few moments before shutting off - plunging the entire dining room into darkness.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Mayahuel's appearance in the room signaled Alan that it was now his turn at the shower- the little one was now fed and fell asleep like a rock.
"We ought to get you to Dr. Peter right quick- make sure everything is copasetic- we should to get someone to drive us there- where's your phone?" May asked.
Jin went through her purse, ten through her pockets (what few she had) and came up blank- "Probably in the damn car," she replied, "Alan ought to have his... oh, bother! Hand me the house phone, right over there- "
May did, and Jin singlehandedly started pushing buttons- "... yes, Phix? We need a favor... huh?... calm down, Phix, we're all right... abducted child?!? ... no, she's right here, she happened on the road... what?!?... that's absurd!... well, Alan went into full panic and grabbed a woman wearing the exact same coat as mine... no, he didn't get too far... no, she didn't have a baby with her... why are we worried about a baby?... "
Jin's face paled as she got the details.
"... uh... wow... well, she was born in the car... in the back seat... right after Alan lost it and put the car in a ditch... no, there was no ... OMG! how bad? ... Cult? What cult? ... that makes no sense... right... OK, I guess we lay low until we have a better handle on it... right... see you soon,"
"Muffin Crumb, what's going on?" May asked.
"Some news operations are tying us into a child abduction, and there is a theory about us being a cult that sacrifices children! All because in pulling up the registration of the car, they found that Alan took MY name instead of me taking his... anything different, they go berserk. We just need to lay low until we can get it sorted out,"
Just then, Alan walked into the room with his cellphone to his ear, "... a house call? Gee, I didn't know anybody did that sort of thing anymore! Certainly, Doc- we'll stay put.... about fifteen? Wow, your day must be light... excellent! we'll see you then," and he hung up.
Looking up, he noticed Jin and May looking at him totally aghast.

"What?" he asked.

Off in the distance, a police siren started up- soon others joined the chorus, getting louder as they approached...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

INNNCOMING!!!

/flrrd/

--FreeFlier
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"We have a developing story tonight as there appears to be a break in the 'Child Sacrifice' story we told you about last night here on KARE 11 news."

"That's right, Steve, tonight the Minneapolis Police Department have converged on a downtown high rise complex - where the conspirators in this case may be holed up. KARE 11's Duane Dunwoody is live at the Capella Tower in downtown Minneapolis. Duane?"

The reporter was being pelted by snow, but gamely read through his opening:

"Yes, thanks Diane, there was a convergence of police cars here about an hour ago as we got a report that the building may be where this 'child sacrifice cult' may be holed up.

A clip of the exterior of the tower from earlier is played as he does a voiceover: "Sources state that a phone call alerted them to the owner of that Toyota Corolla found in central Wisconsin that has been linked to a hit-and-run accident - and a baby abduction. Police have not revealed the owner, but KARE has learned that it was registered to one Alan Aedeobie, who lives in the building..."
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The TV was clicked off - and his cell phone clicked on.

"Yeah, Lily, get your butt over to 225 South 2nd. Something's up with Jin. I'll meet you there, I'm going to have to go through the portals."

He clicked the phone off - and shook his head.

"How in Hades this crap got this bad..." He mumbled as he put on his glasses and headed out to get the LTD.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

"Alan... there's some crazy report going around that we abducted and sacrificed a baby as part of a cult, " Jin coldly stated to Alan, "... those sirens are coming this way for a reason,"
Alan was somewhat dumbfounded at this- "Wha... what baby did we abduct?"
"No clue- THIS one is ours, and she is no sacrifice!"
"Well, no... I wouldn't think so... Dear, I'm a little confused here..."
"Alan," May piped up, "We ALL are confused... but right now we need to be someplace other than where we are! Your Doctor must have cue'd the Police as to your whereabouts- we need to ..."
"WHAT?!? Dr. Peter?!?! Why...?"
"HE'S REQUIRED BY LAW TO DO SO!!!" Yelled Jin- at which point, the baby girl awoke with a start and began to cry and fuss- "Oh, just what I needed! More issue... OK, get over here, we're going to the Library. I can get a medical type to see me there just as soon as ..."
With that, Phix 'poited' into the room- "OK, how are we doing here?" he asked.
"Cover is blown- we need to scram," May stated, "I'm thinking the Library is the best bet- would you agree?"
Phix thought about this for a moment- "Yes... we can accommodate there at least temporarily... and totally out of human jurisdiction... alright, is this everybody?"
"Yes, it is- let's go," Jin agreed.
They left with a massive 'poit'...

On the coffee table lay the wedding album from their own wedding- there were several photos of Murphy, the Minotaur, dancing with Castela. Cindy in feral form. An apo flying overhead. Two nymphs cat-fighting over a satyr. Nicodemus in native form. Noel Paul Stookey chatting with a gryphon. Atsali and Nadette, both in feral, doing some heavy smooching. Nudge spiking the punch.

And Jin and Alan, conversing with ALL of these creatures.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Never never say things couldn't . . . no.

Not going to say it.

--FreeFlier
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

FreeFlier wrote:Never never say things couldn't . . . no.

Not going to say it.

--FreeFlier
Please help this poor French Canadian with his English... What exactly, should never be said? That things couldn't get any worse? What would happen if someone said it? ;)
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:What exactly, should never be said? That things couldn't get any worse? What would happen if someone said it? ;)
:shock:
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

lake_wrangler wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:Never never say things couldn't . . . no.

Not going to say it.

--FreeFlier
Please help this poor French Canadian with his English... What exactly, should never be said? That things couldn't get any worse? What would happen if someone said it? ;)
You chose down! Down the rabbit hole indeed. BTW, that is the perfect scent to set the mood for that phrase... ;)
Last edited by DinkyInky on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

DinkyInky wrote:You chose down! Down the rabbit hole indeed. BTW, that is the perfect scent to set the mood for that phrase... ;)
Dinky, dear? You posted the same link twice, and did not manicure it for desktops (i.e. it's still a mobile link, which sends us nowhere fast, when we have a desktop...)
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

lake_wrangler wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:You chose down! Down the rabbit hole indeed. BTW, that is the perfect scent to set the mood for that phrase... ;)
Dinky, dear? You posted the same link twice, and did not manicure it for desktops (i.e. it's still a mobile link, which sends us nowhere fast, when we have a desktop...)
Trying again...this time from my wireless keyboard and awake. I've told it I'm on desktop, and all it does is remove the m that doesn't seem to work.

It also apparently did not in fact list what I linked. Corrected that too.

Links should be:

"She chose down"

And Black Phoenix Trading Posts "Down the Rabbit Hole" Atmosphere & Linen Spray

https://blackphoenixtradingpost.com/sho ... nen-spray/
Last edited by DinkyInky on Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

DinkyInky wrote: And Black Phoenix Trading Posts "Down the Rabbit Hole" Atmosphere & Linen Spray

Thanks, Dinky...another place for me to throw money at....
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Having worked their way up the building management food chain to the senior supervisor, the police officers finally managed to get access to the penthouse of the building. Cold, wet, and generally disgruntled, they had finally bullied the building management into giving them access to the floor.

THUDTHUDTHUD “ALAN ADEOBIE - OPEN THE DOOR!”

Silence greeted their heavy-handed approach.

Once more they pounded on the door – then took the key from the bullied-looking building worker and opened the door, standing carefully aside and slamming the door back against its hinges.

Inside, the apartment was quiet. The police fanned out, weapons drawn, and covered the place, shouting “CLEAR” as each checked areas. Within moments, they realized that there was no one there, and reported that condition back.

From there, detectives came in, armed with a search warrant signed by a compliant judge. With that, the rooms were searched thoroughly, looking for evidence of the cult crimes supposedly committed by the occupants.

Nothing other than wet towels, cooling cups of tea, and an unoccupied nursery with some of the supplies disturbed was found. In the laundry basket and trash were bloodied articles of female clothing, and these were carefully bagged for testing.

No pentagrams, no blood altars, nothing other than the quiet though luxurious apartment of successful people about to have a child. It was obvious that whoever had been there had left without bothering to tidy up, but that was the only crime in evidence.

By this time, confusion reigned. While the miscreants hadn’t been found, no evidence of a crime had been found either. The detectives milled about, poking the back walls of closets, moving bookcases, and looking for hidden items that simply weren’t there.

Sitting on the couch, one of the detectives idly poked at the books on the coffee table. The wedding album caught his eye – a well-made leather bound book rather than the vinyl tacky ring binder one normally saw for such things.

He picked it up, began to flip through it…and froze.

“holy shit…hoooly shiiiit…. LIEUTENANT! LIEUTENANT, You gotta see this….”
Last edited by Just Old Al on Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Just Old Al wrote:
DinkyInky wrote: And Black Phoenix Trading Posts "Down the Rabbit Hole" Atmosphere & Linen Spray

Thanks, Dinky...another place for me to throw money at....
Glad to be of service. :twisted:
Their sister site Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab has their Yule event in full swing too...:D

Seriously, I spend a fortune during their Halloween/Samhain releases and Yule, and try to avoid it unless they launch a new Jim Henson's workshop collection(Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal are amazing. Have not gotten the Fraggle rock set yet).

I wish they'd make more Yule candles. Those were heavenly.

--Safyr Drathmir
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The elevator opened, and Billens walked into what appeared to be chaos. Before the first MPD officer could raise his gun, he flashed his badge.

"FBI, kid, you probably don't want to do that," he said, trudging over to the now-opened front door of Jin and Alan's apartment.

"Awright, who's in charge here?" he bellowed out.

"And you are?" A gentleman with a long trench coat and a dour face said, turning to the newcomer.

"Jerry Billens, FBI Special Investigations," he said, flashing his badge and ID again. "And is there a particular reason why y'all are barging in on the apartment of a fellow retired agent?'

"Retired...?" Just then, the detective who had found the photo book came charging around the corner.

"LIEUTENANT! You NEED to see THIS!" He handed him the photo book.

Oh no, Billens winced inwardly. He recognized the photo that was on the page - it was of the entire wedding party of Jin, Alan, Buck and Katherine's wedding.

And there in the background, trying to look inconspicuous as security for the reception - was him.

"Care to explain this, agent?" The Lieutenant asked.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

jwhouk wrote: And there in the background, trying to look inconspicuous as security for the reception - was him.

"Care to explain this, agent?" The Lieutenant asked.
LOUD APPLAUSE from a secluded corner of Massachusetts...a-hoist by his own petard.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

So it's a joke album altered with images based on people's online avatars.

"These are not the paranormals you're looking for . . ."

--FreeFlier
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Billens looked straight down, adjusted his glasses, then blew out a deep breath.

"Lieutenant... Thompson, is it?" He read the badge that the man wore on the inside of his coat. "By any chance do you remember that little incident that happened up at the Pillsbury A-Mill a few weeks back?"

The Lieutenant eyed him warily. "Yes. It was only on all the major news outlets."

"That incident occurred because someone was attempting to kidnap and attack Miss Adeobie - and her husband - over a personal vendetta that would have greatly compromised national security," Billens said as forcefully as he could. "This," he pointed down at the book - tugging it away from the detective that was holding it, "was from her wedding party - taken back on the last day of October." He gave the Lieutenant a cold stare over the top of his glasses. "It was a theme wedding."

"So what's to say you're really FBI, then?" the detective said, his hand sliding down to his side.

"You can very easily confirm it with the Minneapolis bureau," Billens replied calmly. "Though I believe some of my fellow agents were on their way here..."

"Awright, where's the fire?" A voice came from the front door of the apartment.

Billens winced.

A curly-haired brunette, munching on an apple and wearing a black blazer and pants, wandered in.

"Agent Noreen Atolicus, FBI," she said, flashing her badge and ID at the Lieutenant. "Caught me in the middle of lunch. Hey, Billens," she waved at the other agent.

Billens rubbed the bridge of his nose.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

"Was the nearest available agent," she replied. "What's with all the flunkies here?"

"We had reason to believe that Alan Aedeobie was involved in a baby abduction - and possible child sacrifice..."

"Noreen" started to laugh on hearing that.

"CHILD SACRIFICE?" she snorted. "THAT'S a rich one. Why'd he wanna do that when he's got a kid of his own on the way?"

"Noreen," Billens stared at his fellow "agent". "The issue right now is that these officers appear to have intruded on Agent Aedeobie's apartment - without a warrant?"

"Just cause," Thompson replied. "His car was found in Wisconsin, abandoned - with blood in the back seat."

"And maybe it didn't occur to you that his wife might be in labor?"

"If so, agent - where is she, then?"