Purpose

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

GlytchMeister

Re: Purpose

Post by GlytchMeister »

Come to the Dark Side... We have fun.
:twisted:

...this post also kinda belongs in Sarge's "Very Happy Wedding" thread, considering recent conversations.

I may not be old, but I can still be dirty.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

"Well... Just judging by what you've said, I've come to an interesting conclusion."
Tsillah tucked her pen behind her ear, and a frown developed on her face.
"What do you mean?" John leaned forward with his elbows on his knees, and interlaced his fingers.
"Well, the Library sent us here because it detected a being, specifically you, giving off a kind of energy never before observed. It had no idea what you were, so we were sent to try to figure out what you are." Tsillah chewed her lip.
"...well?" John bobbed his head to encourage the girl to continue.
"Well... The thing is, I have no clue what the hell you are either. I don't feel or see anything. Neither do Lilly or Suzie, right?"
"I got nothin'." Lilly shrugged. "All I smell is a freaked out young man and a lot of garlic."
"I was wondering about that," Suzie grinned, a little unsettlingly. "Did you put together a vampire killing kit once you looked us up?"
John nodded. "Yeah. I didn't know if you were going to be nasty, so I just prepared for the worst as best I could."
Suzie laughed. "Can I see?"
John smiled sheepishly. "I've been had, haven't I?"
Lilly chuckled. "Probably. What'd you get, some stakes and garlic and knotted ropes?"
John gathered up everything he'd done in preparation for them. "Two stakes made of five different types of wood said to be useful in killing vampires. One knife with silver on the edges. I was practicing with it when you knocked. Even kept it with me all the way to the chair... I shoved it into the crack in the cushion once I decided you were probably friendly. Oh, and I ate a bunch of garlic, and I've been keeping the rest of in my pocket."
Lilly nodded, clearly impressed with the stakes while Suzie inspected the knife.
"Hedging your bets, are we?" Tsillah quipped, smirking.
"Well, you had no idea what you were going to come up against with me. There's three of you. Two of you are trained in some way. You have a Titan for backup. And, considering I don't see any radios or cell phones out, I'm going to guess you and Bia have some line of constant, direct communication. Earpieces?"
The women stared at John. He smiled and narrowed his eyes. "One doesn't have to be magic to be able to handle themselves."
Lilly raised her eyebrows. "Not bad." Suddenly, all three women broke eye contact and stared off into space.
Uh oh. Someone's got their attention on the other end of the line... John tensed his muscles when all of their eyes suddenly widened and they stared at him, fearful.
"...what?"
Last edited by GlytchMeister on Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Bia didn't get a chance to have any fun with Nudge. It seems during her absence, Phix had gone completely overboard and nearly killed the poor goat girl.
This did nothing to improve Bia's mood. Not only did she not get an opportunity to torment anything guilt-free, she now felt guilty just for thinking that way in the first place.
She returned to Mission Control and noticed an immediate difference in the atmosphere. The workers were rushing about, their faces pale and wearing stern expressions. There was no side talk. Every single word was directly related to the mission.
Bia rushed to her screen and shoved her headset on, reading a summary of what was going on with the field agents.
It was bad. Dark matter was coalescing around John, and he was radiating dark energy at an alarming rate.
"Has anybody seen this kind of concentration of dark energy or matter before?" She shouted over the din.
"Never! They shouldn't even be interacting with the known universe! Or vice versa, whichever is happening..." Someone replied from across the room.
"What's this all mean, then?" Bia stood up and threw her arms outward in frustration.
Silence. Bia looked around.
One of the data processor technicians stared at her solemly. "That's a good question."
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Olava grumbled to herself quietly as she dragged a ladder over to the next column in the Great Hall. Phix's wedding had been beautiful, yes. And it was quite merry, indeed. But the decorations, she thought, were far too difficult to put up and take down for a single day's celebration.
She had climbed this ladder so many times she was beginning to hate every inch of the stupid thing.
Then she heard a rumble. It seemed to be coming from below her.
Olava had been a library janitor for thirty years. And those thirty years all agreed on one thing: when in doubt, find a safe place to hide. Her boss was a sphinx, after all.
The stocky woman scrambled down the ladder as fast as her sturdy legs could take her and was ten feet away from where it stood when something very white, very bright, very loud, and with very long, black hair exploded out of the floor, obliterating the column and the ladder completely. The force of the impact knocked several hours' worth of decorations off the walls and pillars.
Once Olava made sure she was whole, she smiled at how much of her work had been saved by the explosion. She watched as the library reconstructed itself, and her smile widened when the ladder remained splintered and destroyed.
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Lilly spoke very clearly and calmly. "Listen carefully. Unless you do exactly as we say, you are going to release a wave of unknown energy powerful enough to do something really significant, and we don't know what."
"I'm going to blow up?" John hugged himself, as if he were going to try to hold himself together.
"Maybe? Nobody seems to know what's goin-"
BOOM.
John curled into a ball, not sure if he was the one responsible for blowing his apartment up.
"Get up!" An unfamiliar voice spoke, teetering on the verge of panic. A strong hand grabbed him by the back of his neck and hoisted him upright.
"We're going to the Hole. You three get back to the library and contact Phix. Try to get Brandi too."
John opened his eyes and was appalled at what had happened to his apartment. A hole was blown through his ceiling and the roof above, through which the dusky sky could be seen.
"What the hell?" John shouted angrily, and a three-foot gout of fire erupted from his mouth. He helped and clamped his mouth shut.
"I'm Bia, sorry about the damage, someone will repair it or something soon. Now shut up and hold on." Bia extended her hand to John.
He grasped her hand and gave her a questioning look.
"You're going to want a better grip than that." Bia snorted.
John nodded and latched onto her forearm with both hands, employing the full strength of his rock-climber's grip.
"Much better. Now, breathe out as much as you can."
John pushed out as much air through his nose as he could, creating two small jets of flame. The smoke curled up to the ceiling and headed toward Bia's new skylight.
Bia tilted her head as he did, and furrowed his brow when John stopped exhaling.
"Not enough," she muttered, and quickly punched John's gut, driving her fist inward and upward, emptying John's lungs even more.
Three jets of flame, much smokier this time, sputtered from John's nose and mouth.
Then, Bia thrust her open hand into the open air. Her hand stopped suddenly, as if it had actually hit something.
Apparently, she did. Her hand disappeared into nothing. John tried to get a look at the other side, curious if he could see the inside of her arm, but Bia lunged forward and into the space.
Just before he passed through, John noticed a strange wavy appearance, as though the space was about to go through was filled with heat haze.
Then, everything went black.
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(cue the Twilight Zone theme music...)

:])
Jharris16-17

Post by Jharris16-17 »

TazManiac wrote:(cue the Twilight Zone theme music...)

:])
amen to that
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

AUTHOR'S QUIP:
*feels a bite on the line, yanks, and is greeted with the telltale twitching feeling of a good sized fish on the hook*

^_^
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

... dang... the weirdest things happen after a wedding...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Sgt. Howard wrote:... dang... the weirdest things happen after a wedding...
Well, it's not like the wedding was exactly normal. It's pretty much accepted that when large numbers of magical characters are gathered in one place, wierdness happens at an alarming rate.
Case in point: Hogwarts.
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:... dang... the weirdest things happen after a wedding...
Well, it's not like the wedding was exactly normal. It's pretty much accepted that when large numbers of magical characters are gathered in one place, wierdness happens at an alarming rate.
Case in point: Hogwarts.
There was a wedding at Hogwarts and I was not invited?
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

No... you misunderstand. A high concentration of mana has a stimulatory effect on most forms of life and semi-life... that's why a powerful magic-worker can raise the dead. Unfortunately the effect also bleeds over involuntarily onto some lesser and unwanted lifeforms, including viruses.

So, if you have too many magical beings anywhere around a farm, you're likely to end up with warts on your hogs. Good business for the vets, but the hogs really don't enjoy the experience.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

"Cave dark." John whispered, waving his hand in front of his face, marveling at just how dark it was. He couldn't see anything.
"What?" Bia whispered. John imagined her raising an eyebrow. He felt some of her hair brush his arms.
"Cave dark. It's a level of darkness humans rarely experience. Even if you lock yourself in a basement and put towels over every hole, some light still gets through. We may not be able to discern anything, but our brains still know there's some light." John adjusted his grip on Bia's arm. "Too tight?"
"I'm a Titan. Quit worrying."
"Ok. Anyway, Cave Dark is a near total absence of light. There's so little light, the human brain freaks out. We - ah, there they are. We start seeing hallucinations, spots and sparks of color where there is none. Human brains simply can't handle absolute darkness. I'm seeing a bunch of red spots right now."
"Huh."
John got the distinct impression Bia wasn't too concerned with what he was saying. He fell silent and concentrated on his senses. The ground felt very soft, powdery even. His footfalls were remarkably silent. The area itself was eerily quiet. John's heart was beating fast and hard after he barfed up a bunch of fire from nowhere, but the sound was deafening. Each beat was far louder than it would normally seem.
His breathing was similarly loud, and John became quite self-conscious of how his breathing sounded. He worked on slowing his breathing and heart rate down before moving on to other sensations.
The air was dry. John's throat would quickly become parched, and his sweat evaporated almost instantly. It wasn't hot, though. If John had to guess, he would say it was around seventy degrees.
The air was, however, extremely still. The only wind John felt was from his own movement. He had the horrible idea that if he didn't keep moving, the air around him would lose oxygen and he would suffocate.
The smell was... Strange. John could identify hints of a multitude of very different smells all mixed together... decomposition, sulfur, ash, smoke, fertile soil, metal, musk...
"Where are we?" John whispered.
"Hades. Well, we're close. River Styx is up ahead. I don't suppose you could make some fire so you can see? I'm getting tired of having you hang onto me like a freaking baby monkey."
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

They walked in darkness for quite some time. John was positive his eyes had fully adjusted to the darkness, but that made no difference in how much he could see. He was still totally blind.
"Ah, Bia. I trust your attitude adjustment goes well?" A cold, oily voice spoke from the darkness ahead.
John looked around and noticed an eerie green lantern wink into existence far into the distance. It illuminated the creepiest ship John had ever seen.
It was constructed from the warped bones of all manner of creatures, with a tangled mess of Hydra skulls skull staring out from the bow. Thousands of legs with two knees and immense shoulder blades for feet sprouted along the length of the ship, moving like the legs on a centipede, paddling the ferry through the black water silently and swiftly.
To the aft stood an equally oversized skeletal humanoid creature. It wore a cloak that seemed to be made of the same water his ship floated upon made into a strange fabric. It flowed and rippled like fluid, yet clung to the creature's frame like wet silk.
More green light shown from it's eyes.
"Ferryman." Bia, now faintly illuminated by the light, nodded respectfully, though she spoke a little curtly.
"Charon?" John gasped.
"Ah! You've brought a visitor with you, young Titan. One that knows my name!" Charon's jaw clacked as he spoke, and John couldn't help but wonder how the fleshless ferryman could speak a word like 'visitor' without a tongue.
Charon steered the ferry with a rudder made from the femur of some gigantic beast. He moved effortlessly, though John knew persuading a ship of that size to change direction was no easy task.
The ship ran aground and the leg paddles clawed their way into the black ground. A gangplank, fashioned from a huge spine, thunked into the dirt, and Charon walked down to meet them.
He was easily twelve feet tall, but as he disembarked, he shrunk by half, ending up only slightly taller than John.
"So, if I may ask, who might you be?" An aroma of fetid meat washed over John as Charon spoke, and the hairs on the back of his neck stood on end.
"I'm John Smith. and apparently I'm a time bomb that can breathe fire."
Charon turned to Bia, his head tilted to one side. John guessed this was as close to a raised eyebrow Charon could get, considering the Ferryman had no face.
"We need to get him to the Hole. Nobody knows what this kid will do when he reaches critical mass."
"UHHH, hold up!" John let go of Bia and turned to face her. "First, which critical mass are we talking about, the nuclear kind or the plague kind? And second, what the fuck?"
Charon sniffed at John. "Both, or neither." He held out his bony hand, displaying a vial of some impossibly black substance. "This," he spoke slowly and calmly. "Is dark matter. And you..." He closed his hand, crushing the vial. The dark matter swirled from in between his fingers, and slowly drifted toward John.
"Can you, uh, put that back?" John stepped backwards, away from the frightening substance that was chasing him slowly but inexorably.
"Stop moving." Charon's voice carried a kind of absolute authority John had never experienced before, and he stopped in his tracks.
The dark matter reached him and he absorbed it. Instantly, a heat haze developed around John, and he saw a new light illuminating his surroundings. It behaved like a headlamp.
"...fascinating..." Charon chuckled, and John's heart rate jumped up at the sound.
"Where's this light coming from?" John spun around, trying to find the source.
"Your eyeballs are on fire." Bia spoke in a perfect deadpan.
"No really, where is that light?"
"Your eyes. They are on fire." John looked at Bia and realized she wasn't deadpanning her sarcasm, but was actually being serious. "By the way, you might want to lose those shoes. They look expensive. You probably don't want to melt them." Bia pointed at John's Nike Shox, which were steaming as John's sweat boiled away.
John cursed and hurriedly took the shoes off and dropped them. "What is happening?"
Charon took John's arm. His grip was painfully tight.
"Matter is simply a highly condensed form of energy. Dark matter is the same thing to dark energy. And you, through mechanisms unknown, can convert dark matter and dark energy into regular energy. Probably regular matter, too, but I haven't seen that yet.
"Smoke." Bia pointed out.
"Ah, yep. There's the regular matter." Charon nodded. "So far, you seem to be focused on fire and smoke. We should probably get moving. That extra shot of dark matter probably accelerated the buildup."
Charon extended an empty hand.
"You want payment?"
Charon shrugged. "Hey, I gotta get food on the table somehow. Hades didn't get rich by being generous."
Bia scowled and thrust two gold coins into his hand. "Let's go." She commanded in a brusque voice and shouldered her way past Charon onto the gangplank.
John shrugged at Charon, who shook his head slightly, as if to say Don't push it.
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

AUTHOR'S NOTES:
Bit of a stylistic shift today, I guess. The new, exotic location of the Greek Underworld called for some literary picture painting.
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

John eyed the ferry apprehensively. "That thing isn't gonna eat me or something, is it?"
Charon laughed. John had to swallow a bit of bile as his body rebelled at the sound. "No, she won't eat you. Just make sure not to get wet by the waters of the Styx. That can result in all manner of... interesting reactions."
John gulped again and nodded. "Ahem... Permission to come aboard?"
Charon snorted. "Ha! Yes, climb on up. Your fare's been paid." He waved John past him and followed up the gangplank.
The bone ferry was nothing like any ship John had ever been aboard before. It freaked him out.
And not just because it was made of the bones of long-dead monsters and beings, nor that it crawled like a bug over land or water. It wasn't just the obviously intentionally creepy green lights either.
The ship didn't sway. The water of the Styx flowed, and so it almost had to be turbulent. But the ship didn't seem to care about the way things ought to be.
Despite the lack of swaying or bucking, the ferry still creaked... A lot. And several times John could have sworn the creaks were actually moans or muffled cries.
He couldn't wait to get off the ferry.
Charon had hung John's shoes on a peg (made from what appeared to be a tooth from a saber tooth cat). John approached the ferryman. "I don't suppose you could hold on to those until I get this fire under control, huh?"
Charon stared at John for a moment. "Time is... Accelerated in the Hole, so I suppose I could. I probably won't be done saying goodbye when you pop out again, several years older and wiser."
John blinked at Charon. "I thought only space was twisted in the Hole."
Charon chuckled. "It's called 'Spacetime' for a reason. Actions taken on one will affect the other."
"Ah, ok. So then, when the Library twists time..."
"The effect results in the Library growing slightly larger. That's how it can continue to hold all those books and still have several empty floors." Charon finished for John.
"I thought it'd be the other way around. It just gets smaller on the outside, but the relative sizes... Ugh. This is confusing."
Bia approached from behind John. "I doubt your human brain could grasp these concepts anyway. It took several gods, including Hephaestus, to construct realms like the Hole or The Library."
"Speaking of that, shouldn't we be hurrying? I doubt we want to have me blow up here..." John said nervously as his clothes started to smoke.
Charon cursed in a language John did not recognize. The effect was startling; every light dimmed noticeably for a moment. Once the lights regained their original brightness, Charon stomped a foot and the Ferry lurched ahead. Soon, the entire main body of the ship was out of the water - only the thousands of legs were touching the river. Wind whipped past John and he had to take a deep stance to avoid being blown off balance.
"I don't like doing this... It disturbs the river more than I prefer," Charon shouted over the wind. "Yell if you see anything besides water in the river!"
Bia nodded and ran to the bow. Immediately, a massive blue-black pair of lobster claws exploded out of the water. Bia shouted in alarm as the two claws, each the size of an aircraft carrier, bore down upon the ferry.
Charon began to mutter some long, convoluted sentence and the green light in his eye sockets flared, but he was too slow. He hadn't finished before the claws descended and were about to slam into the three of them.
John felt a surge of adrenaline and roared as an even greater surge of heat seared through his blood. His eyes blazed and his skin glowed with a pattern of swirling tatoo-like markings.
The heat charred the bones of the ferry, and the water of the Styx began to steam. John threw his hands upward in a primal attempt to defend himself from the immense claws, and was promptly thrust back and down onto the deck as a jet of fire erupted from each palm. Each jet punched into one of the claws, and the immense heat instantly flashed the moisture in the monster's flesh to steam, exploding the claws from the inside in a blast of steam, fire, and steamed monster-lobster flesh.
It actually smelled pretty appetizing.
John stood, panting, in a circle of burnt bones. Embers still glowed near his feet as John's skin and eyes gradually returned to their previous state.
Bia pouted at him. "I said I had it."
Charon stared at him, his jawbone hanging ajar, for several moments. Then his gaze lowered to the ruined deck. "I don't know what you owe me for that, but it will be very expensive."
"I'll pay you back later. For now, get me to the Hole. NOW."
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Lobster flambe, anyone? :lol:
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Suzie stared at the near-invisible warping of reality left behind by Bia's violent exit to the underworld. "Did she just palm-strike a hole to another world?"
Lilly nodded. "Yup. She's the Titan of Force. One of Zeus's beefier cronies, I think. She can do that."
They stood, silent, in John's apartment, staring glassy-eyed at the scar in spacetime, watching it slowly fade away.
Lilly roused herself first when a police car passed by on the street, sirens blaring. "Now what?"
"I guess we go back to the Library? We should probably give these earpieces back."
"Yeah, that's a good idea." Tsillah spoke from her place on John's futon.
Both Lilly and Suzie jumped. They had forgotten she was with them.
"Why didn't you go with Bia?" Suzie asked after regaining her composure a little.
"I'm supposed to stay with you two until I'm ordered otherwise." She seemed rather miffed about the situation.
Lilly and Suzie exchanged glances. "Wanna go to the Skybox?" Lilly said, smirking.
Tsillah's pout lessened some. "Yeah, why not?" She looked out the window. "...how do we get there?"

EDIT: Ew. I wrote that while on break at work. It certainly shows. Bleck.
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

"Oh, no..." Charon growled, looking across the river Styx. Something small and unbelievably fast was moving toward them.
That something must have been a really big problem, because as soon as Bia saw it, her face went a ghastly shade of pale green.
"What?" John whispered to her. "What is it? What's wrong?"
"That's his boss. It's Hades. My boss's brother."
John turned to look back toward the object, and yelped when he instead found himself facing a thin, gaunt, black-haired man with completely black eyes, pale skin and lips, and teeth that were all filed to points. He wore a tuxedo fit for James Bond. In his hand was a stylish onyx, silver, and ironwood cane shaped to resemble a pillar of tortured souls supporting a cabochon-cut jet the size of a baseball, which acted as the handle. The entire thing was thick enough to hide a respectable sword blade.
Hades spoke, and every word seemed to pluck at the very strings of reality. John felt surges of dread, doom, lust, greed, exhaustion, and energy with each syllable.
So this is what happens when a being is the same thing as the realm. Hades is the name of both this god and of this world. He holds absolute authority here.
Bia smacked John upside his head. "Pay attention, dumbass!" She hissed between her teeth.
Hades gazed at John, his face a perfectly expressionless mask.
"Uhm... my apologies, deathgod, but the nature of your voice distracted me. Pardon my inattentiveness. Could you please repeat what you said?"
Hades narrowed his eyes and spoke again. This time, John managed to stay focused and actually hear what the god was saying.
"I received reports of a being on Charon's ferry that had accessed and utilized a kind of power unknown to even the Bibliothiki. Who are you, and what is your purpose?"
"I am John Smith, uh... Lord Hades?"
A hint of a smile twitched at the corners of Hades' mouth. "I appreciate the attempt at a respectful title, but I am a god. Lordship is quite beneath me. Simply refer to me as Hades... Although 'deathgod' was pretty good. Haven't heard someone improvise that one in a few years."
John gulped and shivered before nodding. "As for my purpose, I am passing through to the Hole, as the very power you spoke of is extremely unstable, and I seek to either find a safe place to be contained... Or perhaps to learn how to control this power."
Hades nodded. "Very well. Charon, Bia, I will take him from here. Charon, resume your duties. Bia, you may depart or stay with this mortal. I care not what you choose to do."
A gout of fire escaped John as he cleared his throat. "Woah, uh, unless you want to redecorate the area, we might want to get mov-HNGH!"
Hades grabbed John by the throat with a grip far stronger than what his long, thin fingers should have been capable of. His hand slowly constricted John's windpipe as Hades lifted John several inches off the bony deck.
"Fire needs air. Remove the air, the fire lessens." Hades spoke calmly. The effects of his speech were even more intense while he was touching John.
John hung limp in the god's cold grasp, paralyzed by the power of Hades' voice.
His vision flickered and dimmed, just as the fire in his eyes did.
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Hades took flight, followed closely by Bia. Whereas Bia simply thrust outward and downward with her power, Hades was supported by a black cloud of souls. He remained standing upright, holding John by his throat as the three of them rocketed toward what seemed like a featureless area.
As they neared it, however, John quickly understood he had completely misunderstood what his eyes were seeing.
Instead of a horizon, John was seeing the edge of a chasm. He could not see an other side, nor could he see a bottom.
Hades alighted lightly on the edge of the escarpment, while Bia landed rather noisily, carving a ditch into the ground with her impact.
Still holding John aloft, Hades leaned out over the edge and looked down.
"I'm not really in the mood to go down there today. Just so you know." Hades spoke entirely without inflection, confusing John quite a bit.
John didn't have much time to ponder if Hades was being serious or sarcastic, though. The deathgod had thrown him out into the abyss.
John tumbled through the darkness, screaming incoherently. The light from his eyes did nothing, as there was nothing besides himself for the light to reflect off of.
The spinning nearly made him lose control of his stomach before John managed to stabilize into a skydiver's spread-eagle pose. After taking a few seconds to wrestle his unruly stomach contents back down, John rolled so he was facing upward to see Bia and Hades diving toward him.
John was struck by the stark contrast between the bright, youthful Titan girl and the dark, half-mummified-looking deathgod. Bia's white and gold dress fluttered around her, and the hem was beginning to fray as the wind tore at her clothes. The light form John's eyes rebounded off of her, creating an aura effect around her.
Hades, however, seemed unaffected. If he wasn't upside-down, he could just as easily been standing on a street corner waiting for a taxi. His black suit was well fitted, and it barely ruffled in the screaming wind. John guessed the black souls he was surrounded by might have been shielding him from the brunt of the wind. They also caused him to seem cloaked in shadow, a perfect foil to Bia's aura of light.
Bia pointed downward at something behind John. He spun around and nearly had a heart attack.
He was staring at the entrance to The Hole.
I'm too much!