Derivation Inspiration

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

GlytchMeister

Re: Derivation Inspiration

Post by GlytchMeister »

Oh, I know Anime isn't all just a bunch of childish cartoons. Hellish Ultimate and Black Lagoon are completely unsuitable for young audiences. Like DAYUM. Black lagoon has a super-soldier maid punch a guy so hard and so many times everything above his upper jaw gets ground into something with the consistency of tomato paste.
And Hellsing Ultimate features literal rivers of blood.

And I didn't even give out the most disturbing examples for either.

Ooh! YouTube links! Cool. I will watch these when I get the chance.
yo ho yo ho...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Eventually we reach the point where it seems as though anime is beginning to parody itself. I offer Kill La Kill as an example: Almost everything in this short series is blown completely over-the-top; so while it's still entertaining, one begins to wonder: "Are they friggin' serious??"
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

MerchManDan wrote:Eventually we reach the point where it seems as though anime is beginning to parody itself. I offer Kill La Kill as an example: Almost everything in this short series is blown completely over-the-top; so while it's still entertaining, one begins to wonder: "Are they friggin' serious??"
I get that a little bit from Black Lagoon. That show could sustain the Mythbusters for at least 6 months, if they did anime myths.
Hmm. Y'know what, they've done western cartoon myths. I think I've got some myth suggestions to write!
I'm too much!
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

MerchManDan wrote:"Are they friggin' serious??"
All I have to say is: FLCL
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

TazManiac wrote:Spirited Away, that was the title I couldn't recall..
IMDB is your friend!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Atomic wrote:
TazManiac wrote:Spirited Away, that was the title I couldn't recall..
IMDB is your friend!
yeah...

I've been waiting for things too come together on the home front for sometime now, it means I post from the dumbphone from time to time.

(We used to have free, if limited, municipal Wi-Fi, it's demise And a planned- if untimely, relocation means no home connection until next month.

Some times I can't make good use of correcting autocorrect (despite proof reading) and copy/paste of links gets wonky too...

ps- Ive skin-flinted myself into not being able to tether this thing either. whoa is me (snif, snif...) waaaa. B])
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

GlytchMeister wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:Eventually we reach the point where it seems as though anime is beginning to parody itself. I offer Kill La Kill as an example: Almost everything in this short series is blown completely over-the-top; so while it's still entertaining, one begins to wonder: "Are they friggin' serious??"
I get that a little bit from Black Lagoon. That show could sustain the Mythbusters for at least 6 months, if they did anime myths.
Hmm. Y'know what, they've done western cartoon myths. I think I've got some myth suggestions to write!
such as, can you shoot down a [REDACTED] with a [REDACTED] launched from a WWII era [REDACTED] that just managed to get itself "X" metres airborne?

trying to avoid giving out obvious spoilers :p

I only saw bits of one or two early episodes, but that scene does make an impression 8-)
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Oh, you mean when [REDACTED] took a level in badass, took refuge in audacity, and had a crowning moment of awesome?

:shock:

I need to submit that to Mythbusters, brb!
I'm too much!
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

shadowinthelight wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:"Are they friggin' serious??"
All I have to say is: FLCL
AKA: Fooly Cooly, correct? I've heard of it, but the details are sketchy. Besides that it tends to be somewhat ludicrous in parts.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Anyway, Miazaki stuff always seems to be advertised like they're happy, cute little fairy tales with really good art and animation.
Cute? Often. Happy? Definitely not always.
...ok. You have my attention...
Did Miazaki do anything similar to Hellsing Ultimate or Black Lagoon? It doesn't even have to be all that grimdark, I just want some good action.
(Yes, I also enjoyed The Expendables, how did you guess? But I'm not a total slave to mindless violence. I like intelligent violence too. :roll: )
Hotaru no haka, Hauru no Ugoku Shiro, Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi...I could list more, but those are top three.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

DinkyInky wrote:Hotaru no haka, Hauru no Ugoku Shiro, Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi...I could list more, but those are top three.
:?
I tend to skip the ones where nobody's bothered to translate the title. I hope they're dubbed.
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Hotaru no haka, Hauru no Ugoku Shiro, Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi...I could list more, but those are top three.
:?
I tend to skip the ones where nobody's bothered to translate the title. I hope they're dubbed.
"Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi" is called "Spirited Away" in English. Yes, it's dubbed, but I prefer watching it in Japanese with English subtitles (the subtitle translations seem to be a bit closer to the original Japanese meanings than the English dub in a number of cases).

"Hotaru no haka" is "Grave of the Fireflies" (haven't seen this one myself) and "Hauru no Ugoku Shiro" is "Howl's Moving Castle".
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

dude.

Shun the Dub.

Harken to the Subtitles...

After awhile you'll automatically be filtering 'Onnieee' (?) and 'nondesk-ah' via your subconscious...
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

TazManiac wrote:dude.

Shun the Dub.

WORD...
After awhile you'll automatically be filtering 'Onnieee' (?) and 'nondesk-ah' via your subconscious...
HA!. that reminds me of when i was in the Navy, i was stationed in Sasebo, Japan. and all the contractors that worked on the base in the shipyard, all wore garishly colored uniforms... ones that were so obvious, that when they were filming those miniature model scenes in the 60's Godzilla movies, they used them as inspiration for the models used... at the time i was watching those movies (high school, before the navy), i thought that it was just the movie guys making a bunch that looked alike because they were cheaper to do than individual models... nope! you could tell EXACTLY what company those mini's were representing... they were as real as they could make it, and that's what a shipyard worker would actually have been wearing! i used to be able to tell you who those companies were, but I've forgotten now.

for a while whenever i saw a Godzilla movie i'd be doing the same as you describe, only with the uniforms, too.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

TazManiac wrote:dude.

Shun the Dub.

Unfortunately, when I'm forced to use subtitles, I only focus on them, and I basically don't actually watch the show. So I miss out on all the artwork, and any visual-only plot-important stuff.

I tried. I really tried to watch an episode of Bleach with subtitles. And I hated it. Seriously. I ended up having to rewind and re-watch things every ten seconds or so, just to be able to put the words together with the images.

It gets really frustrating when you've spent fifteen minutes watching five minutes of the show.
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Yeah, I feel that, I understand- it isn't gonna come all at once.

In fact you're going to have to let it wash over you and don't stop as you might think to.

Its like a mini-dose of full immersion. Ultimately, you'll do what you want, but I'll still encourage you on...
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

*shudder*

Yeah, full immersion does not work for me. A french teacher tried that on me once. Nope. I think my highest score in that class before I switched was 9%. Nine. Out of one freaking hundred.
You either speak English, or you work hard for three years (or more) to drag me to a basic understanding of your language.
If I tried the whole "let it wash over me" thing, I wouldn't get anything out of the show. I'd probably lose interest in it because I don't understand any of it, or I'm trying to read all the subtitles and miss out on the actual show. I can barely understand Spanish, and I took three years and have been working a job where I have to use it quite frequently. I have no experience with Asiatic languages. You drop me in the middle of Mexico or Spain and I might make it out alive on my own. Drop me anywhere in Asia (anywhere!) and I guarantee I will be deader n' a doornail in 5 minutes tops. And I might already be unidentifiable by then too.
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:*shudder*

Yeah, full immersion does not work for me. A french teacher tried that on me once. Nope. I think my highest score in that class before I switched was 9%. Nine. Out of one freaking hundred.
You either speak English, or you work hard for three years (or more) to drag me to a basic understanding of your language.
If I tried the whole "let it wash over me" thing, I wouldn't get anything out of the show. I'd probably lose interest in it because I don't understand any of it, or I'm trying to read all the subtitles and miss out on the actual show. I can barely understand Spanish, and I took three years and have been working a job where I have to use it quite frequently. I have no experience with Asiatic languages. You drop me in the middle of Mexico or Spain and I might make it out alive on my own. Drop me anywhere in Asia (anywhere!) and I guarantee I will be deader n' a doornail in 5 minutes tops. And I might already be unidentifiable by then too.
Please. You're so dang close to Little Asia it ain't funny. I used to take day trips into Chi-town at least three days a week back in the day...just for the culture(I'm half Korean, and pretty much nerd out at all the manga and manwha shoppes there). If you spend one day a week just playing at tourist in any of the Asian sections, you'll pick up at least the swear words, if not a few random useful terms.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Two words regarding that: Excel Saga.

--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Aw Dinky, now you have me scheming up a Wapsiverse - Dae Jang.Geum mash-up... (Definitely going to need to adjust the traditional bodices a bit..)