The elixir

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Sgt. Howard

Re: The elixir

Post by Sgt. Howard »

GlytchMeister wrote:Why is Monica being so shut in about Jet? Tina, Jin, and Bud already know their very souls desperately wanted to be together.
Kevin seemed to recover from the dump alright, judging by how he looked at the end of the bench scene with Bud.

What's up?
The idea that she cut loose a long-term relationship on the turn of a dime makes for uncomfortable talk- I've seen it
jwhouk wrote:Also, there's no Bascome Avenue in the Twin Cities.
Right- but there IS a "Pink Poodle" on Bascome Avenue in San Jose, and that's what I am using- much like using "Imbert & Smithers" from San Carlos. Having never been to Twin Cities, if anyone can tell me of an equivalent, I would appreciate it
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Yeah, but there is in Silicon Valley...

(the only one I've ever been to was in the same general local; in between Fry's Electronics and Coscto, now that I think about it- it was(is?) right next door to a Bank of America- ready ATM action....)

edit- Damn, it pays to actually read the last page prior to posting.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

I have edited the last installment, as the Neil I have created would not go to a strip joint under the circumstances described... in fact, if he were to go to such a place it would be with Phix in tow. I have actually been to strip clubs with the woman I was married to at the time (there were three, mind you), so it is not as odd as one might think- and as I recall, I was not the only one to do so.
Having done this edit, the story will continue this weekend (after I build the foundation of little Mama's greenhouse).
Thank you for your readership.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Check the "Visit to Phix" thread- there is a memorial...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

the morning of...

Bud was considering what she wanted to wear to the big event- everybody fully understood that the event in question was to be 'informal'... but that only made the competition between females more intense. And treacherous. She, however, had nobody to compete with... or for... more or less... but she DID want to look respectable, if for no other reason than to honor the marriage of the man she almost killed. She finally settled on a nicely cut sundress in white and yellow print, leather sandals and a large straw Summer hat. Looking at herself in the mirror, she felt it was... adequate... and that any further fussing would only make her more of a wreck than she already was...
Why was she so nervous? This wasn't HER wedding- she had made peace with Neil and Phix- they were even there when she broke the sound barrier on inline skates, congratulating her after the shock wave tore off her clothes.
Kevin would be there.
She had no idea what Kevin's feelings towards her might be, or if he had finally overcome his grief at the loss of Monica. How could she find out without driving him away? Once she had information... even FAVORABLE information, how should she proceed? Even SHOULD he be receptive, will Bud have to compete with Monica's memories?
She sighed and started some breakfast...

"Easy there, you fidgety cuddlebum- just let the top drape where it will, OK? Everybody knows you got a baby going on, that's no big state secret, what's more, I am pretty sure they know what causes these things and it is all old news. And stop prancing...."
"I am NOT prancing! OK, I am bouncing a little bit... but dammit Neil, this is just... this is just WOW! I know I should be all calm and regal and serene and all that, but... well crap! Is THIS what teen-age girls go through on a routine basis?"
Neil looked at his beloved- it occurred to him that Phix might never had the experience of unbalanced teen-age hormones to contend with- "Huh... I suppose so, I actually hadn't thought about it. Yea, puberty can be rough ground, even to an adult- I suppose your emotions are totally off track these days?"
"Pretty much- I am astounded at what will arouse me these days,"
"Hmmm- the fact that I am breathing tends to have that effect on me- remember. you're not the ONLY one trapped inside a horny teenage body,"
"SPEAKING of horny... I was talking to Jin earlier... seems she was taken to a rather raunchy house of entertainment by Allan last night... on YOUR suggestion, I might add- and that she had a rather... DEMANDING evening afterwards... and sends her thanks and regards..."
Neil was snickering to himself, thinking about the establishment in question.
"I suppose you are proud of yourself?"
"Absolutely! I was wondering if you might consider accompanying me to the very place some evening,"
"NEIL! I am SHOCKED!! Such a disreputable suggestion... what does a pregnant newlywed bride wear to a strip club anyway...?"
"Not sure- Miss Manners never fielded THAT one, I'd wager... just make sure your lipstick and nail polish match, I imagine... there, go stand in the mirror and see what you think,"
"... I think I look pregnant,"
"You ARE pregnant,"
"Well, I don't want to look like it, OK?"
"Too bad,"
"I love you, you bastard,"
"And I love you, you twit,"
"OH! Speaking of 'Twit'- Bud will be there... and so will Kevin,"
"What about Monica?"
"She definitely opted out,"
"Oh? ... what deviltry are you up to, young lady?"
"Will you... 'spot' ... for me?"
"... how do you mean?"
"Indirect fire- I will need a spotter,"
"When?"
She looked him directly in the eyes with a mischievous grin- "When I toss the bouquet,"

Kevin gathered up his laundry to assure a clean pair of Wranglers for the wedding- it would be fun, a chance to socialize, drink and eat, maybe dance a few rounds- Allan will be there (with Jin), Neil of course will be there, several of what he referred to as the 'odd squad' will be there... and possibly Bud. He still wasn't sure what or if he felt anything towards Bud.

Whatever-

Clean shirt, clean jeans, socks and shorts were the priority of the moment. He would worry about other things at another time..

Nudge had finally found the maxi-skirt she was looking for- dark, heavy looking yet fairly light, it gave her complete coverage down to her ankles when in her human form. With a complementary top, it looked just fine... and had plenty of room for a short-barreled 16 gauge double underneath...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

This wedding's going to be a bang-up. ;)

EDIT: Sarge, I have a possible scene I'd like to add involving how Monica's really taking the news of the wedding, but I need to know - do you actually want her to show up as a "distant spectator", or not there at all?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

(Never mind - went with something open-ended:)

"Am I a horrible person?"

Monica pondered the ceiling of the antique shop as Amanda pulled the antique camera from its protective case.

"For the hundredth time, no," was the reply. She looked down at the old box camera. "They didn't have serial numbers on these things back in the day, so I'm not even going to guess when, exactly, this thing was produced." She looked at the front lens, then briefly undid a few latches to check inside. "No film," she shrugged, re-latching the back and putting the camera down. "Seriously, you're obsessing over this. If it's bothering you that much, why don't you just go?"

"Kevin," she said - for about the hundredth time. Amanda rolled her eyes at that.

"You've told me the Library is a big place," she said with a stern look. She placed the camera and its box back on the counter of the shop, next to the antique cash register and a box of "I Heart TC" pins, labeled 15c each. "Poit yourself in to a balcony over the ceremony, and just watch as a spectator."

"I spend too much time at the Library now as it is, mentoring Calista." She blew out a sigh with her response. "Jet sees the place more as 'work' than anything. And she wants to go shopping in Monaco that day."

Amanda glared at her.

"Weddings only happen once in a lifetime - well, theoretically, anyways." She thought for a moment about her mom's divorce, remarriage, and subsequent annulment. "You'll kick yourself more later for not showing up." She turned and faced Monica.

"If Georgette really loves you, she'll understand."

Just then the bell on the door of the shop rang loudly, and Georgette Sundahl was already excitedly talking. "Do you believe this? I actually found a fantabulous Givenchy dress at an auction up in Thunder Bay! C'mon, babe, I need your subtle skills so we can get it for the shop." She turned and looked at Amanda. "Oh, hi there. Stopping by to look for some camera supplies?"

"Monica wanted me to do a look-over of this camera you guys found," she replied. "And she wants to ask you about something." This made Monica stare at Amanda.

"Amanda!" Monica got up angrily.

"What's up, hon?" Georgette walked over to Mon.

"She wants to go to the wedding," Amanda said, her arms folded.

"Wedding? What wedding?" Georgette looked at both women. Monica closed her eyes as Amanda's widened.

"You didn't even tell her?" Monica's drooping head is all that she needed to know. Amanda turned to Jet. "Phix is getting married in the Library."

"Amanda..."

"She IS?" Georgette's face brightened. "Why didn't we get an invitation?"

Monica gave her a death stare.

"Oh. Kevin. But isn't he going with Bud?" Now it was Amanda's turn to roll her eyes.

"Kevin hasn't been seen doing much of anything since you two got together." Now it was Jet's turn to stare.

"You told me he'd been seeing Bud!"

"Neither one of them have been seeing much of anyone as of late," Monica replied weakly.

Georgette went over to Monica and held her by the arms, softly.

"Oh, honey. You don't have to hide things from me. Not seeing your friends isn't a good thing. If you want to go, feel free. I don't have to tag along if it makes you uncomfortable." She smiled, looking into M's face. "Phix has done so much for you. You can at least be part of this special time for her."

"Well, there's just one problem," Monica stammered out.

"What? You werent' invited?"

"No, not that. It's just... The wedding. It's tomorrow ."

"TOMORROW?"

EDIT: Yeah, I caught the mistake 5 minutes after I did a proper read-thru at work. I was on my way out the door. :P
Last edited by jwhouk on Sun May 03, 2015 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

I LOVE IT!!!

Yea, she'll be there... with a write-up like THAT, how could she miss it? I have also PM'd Paul to see if Shelly's Grandfather is still alive... imagine the complications THAT might cause....

Guys... can you see any difference between Jwhouk's writing style and mine? It just dawned on me that the flow was seamless...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I have been chided about my writing style in the past (See KG&TLDOTA), but it's also a product of years of writing, being a former copywriter at a local newspaper, and a slightly overactive imagination. :D

You do whatever you want with this little piece.

BTW: I doubt Shelly's grandpa is still alive. Phix would have said something about it by now.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

jwhouk wrote:I have been chided about my writing style in the past (See KG&TLDOTA), but it's also a product of years of writing, being a former copywriter at a local newspaper, and a slightly overactive imagination. :D

You do whatever you want with this little piece.

BTW: I doubt Shelly's grandpa is still alive. Phix would have said something about it by now.
Well, yes and no- the subject never came up with Paul, and I cannot say with any authority one way or the other. After all, Bia is till with us, and SHE is Brian Wahnee's 'wife'- having faked her own death to 'make Shelly stronger', THAT could make for interesting circumstances should the two encounter each other at some point... except that she is currently in a guise that would get her 'husband' arrested should he try anything. I use quotations around husband and wife as a marriage performed under false pretenses ("Actually dearest, my REAL name is Bia and I am an indestructible immortal, not a human...") can hardly be held as binding. Same as with Grandpa- one could argue ad infinitum regarding the legal ramifications of the issue... but even so, neither man would recognize the woman they married, only note that said 'girl' bears a STRONG resemblance to the one they knew. But given this current plotline, it has the potential to become quite messy with either situation if crafted correctly...

... regarding the blurb you threw together- I LOVE IT!!! The idea that others might chide as to your style- odd notion. I am thinking it needs to incorporate AS IS to the current story, and additional efforts are certainly welcome- we might want to PM on such things so as to not throw off each other's plotlines.

- you have read a great deal of Sam Clemmons' work, am I correct?
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

The main foyer began to fill up around ten o'clock- several guests were already making themselves acquainted with the buffet. Jessie and Krystle were perusing the sushi section, making comments about "Is THIS anybody we know?" as they sampled the offerings- an old joke, but usually got good results. The Apos were out in force, with Arania keeping a close eye on things... one would hardly notice her favoring one hind leg, unless you looked for it- the thrashing she received still left marks on her in human form. Bud showed up with Brandi and began to nose around, trying to be unobtrusive as she checked out who was there and who wasn't. Nudge sauntered in, looking almost Edwardian in a full-length dark skirt, high-necked white ruffled blouse and her hair in a bun. She also looked a bit smug. Allan and Jin walked in, she absolutely glowing and he looking close to shipwrecked.

Then Monica poited in.

She was wearing the little black dress that caused a three vehicle pile-up sometime back. She was, as always, hard to miss in spite of her diminutive size- heads swiveled in her direction as she walked over to the makeshift bar and ordered a mimosa. The chatter dropped in volume, but not intensity, as she looked around for a friendly face to chat with. She was quite nervous, but had gotten rather good at hiding such a thing from others. Spotting Jin, she walked over, they hugged and caught up on gossip while Allan sought black coffee at the stand that Tina had set up.

Neil Looked out at the crowd from the door of his quarters- "Monica made it after all," he commented.
"... I ... see- I hope there's no unpleasantness between her and Kevin... is Kevin here?" Phix asked.
"Not that I see... wait- he JUST showed up- yea, they see each other... friendly nods... I am guessing they will give each other space for now,"
"Good enough- Honey, this skirt has a bad case of cling. What the hell is going on with it?"
"Static electricity- here, try the cotton one and see what you think,"
"Hmmm... yes, this will work... I thought it was bad luck for us to see each other before the ceremony?"
"Only if you believe that stupid superstition- then it becomes self-fulfilling"

Bud saw Nudge down a shot of something at the bar- the back of her mind flew a red flag, so she ambled over-
"Nudge? Did you actually bring it?"
"Yup (belch)- got it hanging under this skirt,"
"... uh... should you be drinking?"
"It's only got blanks in it- I know what I'm doing- look, there's Kevin,"
Bud became totally distracted by this... Nudge ordered another scotch and slunk away without Bud noticing.
Last edited by Sgt. Howard on Sun May 03, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"Boy, a lot more cars here at Lund's this morning. Wonder why everyone is walking over to the alley behind Hennepin??...."

"It's just that scruffy guy with a goatee, dear."

"No, I saw some other guy with glasses and a coffee headed back there, too."
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

A tall, balding, older gentleman appeared with a guitar case in tow- several of the guests hailed him and helped him to a small makeshift stage, where an ensemble of others set up a microphone and a stool. He seemed quite agreeable to the whole set-up and once situated he proceeded to tune and test the mike. Kevin wandered over to him (he had not yet noticed Bud), looking intently at the man's face-
"Paul? Noel Paul Stookey?" he asked.
The fellow gave a wide warm smile- "Guilty as charged... am I safe to assume you are a fan? 'cause if you're not, I'll deny it,"
"Of course I am a fan! Who isn't?... but I must admit, I am surprised to see you HERE of all places,"
"Really? Actually I trace my time in this library back to my wild, bohemian days of the sixties... I am an old hand here, as mortals go. Could you hand me that satchel? I have an assortment of picks in it,"
Kevin reached down and fetched the object in question... there was the temptation to run off with it, but he thought better of that.

Then there was someone at his side-

"Kevin?" the voice was frail and timid, "You've met Paul?"
He turned to look- Bud was there, every bit as frail as he had ever seen her.
"Ah... actually, we JUST met- you know him?"
"Most of us do- he's an old friend of Phix's... he plays some beautiful music... he's agreed to sing here for the wedding,"
Kevin shot a glance up at Paul, who gave the slightest shake of his head and winked. Cottoning on, he said, "Excellent- I am certainly looking forward to that,"
"Very good- now could you hand me those picks? I need to get these old hands warmed up,"
Kevin did a slight start as he handed over the satchel in question.
"Very good... let's see, you have a barrista serving espresso, a bar serving full spectrum, a buffet table that is groaning with food... yes, I guess I will not go hungry tonight- now, good sir and fine lady, if you'll excuse me, I have to earn my supper,"
"Certainly Paul- Kevin, come buy me a drink,"
Last edited by Sgt. Howard on Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I'm having a Sheldon moment here, I don't understand the meaning behind the head shake and the wink Paul gave.

(First I'm confused about why Monica wouldn't want to come to the wedding, now this... Is there a class for this kind of thing? I'm obviously behind...)

Or is it a "You'll see" kind of thing? I get the feeling you're laying down a whole bunch of threads, and you plan on tying them all up at a critical moment later. Maybe.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

"Buy you a drink? THAT's a little bold."
"I could buy my own if you prefer," she quietly stated, "but I would like your company, if you don't mind,"
He stopped to look at her. She was certainly appealing enough... and certainly mad about him... but also cautious. She certainly had reason- their last discussion did not leave a good taste in anyone's mouth.
"You're ... immortal, right?"
"Immortal... indestructible... unchangeable... yea,"
"... how... I know that you are a golem... but I am not sure I know what that means... how did you come to be?"
She dropped her head- "It's not a pretty story... I... I was ... captured... by priests... and... and then I was... I was... " here eyes went cold as the memories came back to her, " ... I was repeatedly raped, tortured... they cut the tendons of my ankles, so I could not escape... they starved us, beat us, raped us, over and over again... then they burned us alive, mixing the ashes with clay to ... to form what you are looking at now. They hoped to create a superweapon out of us... but Jin fooled them- she killed herself... when she was resurrected in clay, she had free will,"
"... 'Us'?... you, Jin and Brandi?"
"... yes..."
"... When did all this happen?"
"Long before any history you might find- long before they built the Sphinx in Egypt,"
"... I believe I will buy you that drink.. and one for myself... that was a pretty brave thing to tell me,"
"... you really ought to know..."

Nudge eyed the whole circumstance with a jaded eye. Marriage... what business does a HUMAN institution have to do with immortals? What a waste of effort. The idea of pledging an eternity to one mate? Patently absurd. Everybody acted as if they are having fun... but SHE wasn't. The odds of actually brandishing the shotgun without repercussions denied her of the one thing she was looking forward to. And here was Kevin, Bud AND Monica under the same roof... and they are all acting civil towards each other. And nobody wanted to hear her thoughts on the matter.

But the booze was pretty good...

Arania was in as foul a mood as she could ever remember. Forced under duress to swear fealty to a mortal and a soft sphinx, she was acting as security to an event that no immortal would give the time of day (in her estimation). Striding about in her native form, she still bore injuries from that humiliation she had suffered not long ago. Every step reminded her of holding her ankles while a paddleboard was applied to her naked buttocks with deliberate force... IN FRONT OF WITNESSES!!! There had NEVER been this level of disgrace dealt to a sphinx before... NEVER!!
But she swore her fealty. To both of them- but only on HIS authority. Should Neal die, SHE could deal with Phix as Phix did not bring her to submission- Neil alone did that.

SOMETHING ought to happen to Neil, and when it does...

Atsali showed up, along with Nadette and Berdine. Shortly afterwards, Kathy was there with Castella. Euyale was already present along with Tsillah and her Mother Thymbris. Bia had been involved in the planning and could be seen running from one demanding situation to another, trying to make it all happen. Amanda showed up with a full arsenal of cameras- she had been given the commission. Shelly and Justin showed up as well, rounding out the old crew as it were. There were many friends who did not know of this world, of course- but there was not much worry there. About the only person in the outside world who might take offence if he were to know was Mr. Gregory Fields, Monica's old boss at the museum... everybody else was oblivious to the goings-on here, and that made things comfortable for all concerned.
Last edited by Sgt. Howard on Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

GlytchMeister wrote:I'm having a Sheldon moment here, I don't understand the meaning behind the head shake and the wink Paul gave.

(First I'm confused about why Monica wouldn't want to come to the wedding, now this... Is there a class for this kind of thing? I'm obviously behind...)

Or is it a "You'll see" kind of thing? I get the feeling you're laying down a whole bunch of threads, and you plan on tying them all up at a critical moment later. Maybe.
Paul. Noel Paul Stookey. Bud only knows him as a friend of Phix's who comes by and plays beautiful music, and as a wonderful, intelligent, friendly old man.

Bud has never heard of "Peter, Paul and Mary", and Paul prefers his relationship with Bud on that level... and the old-timers ALL caught onto this one... no, there's no class that will teach you this, except to sit down and listen to us old pharts reminisce about the 'good old days' -

Perhaps the coolest thing about my age is the fact that I got to listen to ALL THE COOL BANDS when they were alive and together!!!
Last edited by Sgt. Howard on Sun May 03, 2015 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Ooooh. I get it now. Thanks.

Also, I'm now getting a very strong impression you are laying down thread after thread... And they're all going to come into play somehow later. I've half a mind to go back and read through everything for the sole purpose of spotting any old bits that might turn into Chekov's Guns... But I don't want to spoil the surprise.

I've got a good feeling about this story. *thumbs up*
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Interesting continuation. Loving every minute of it. As always, very realistic in its details.

[Nitpicking]
Sgt. Howard wrote:Shelly and Jason showed up as well, rounding out the old crew as it were
Shouldn't it be "Shelly and Justin?"
[/Nitpicking]
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

lake_wrangler wrote:Interesting continuation. Loving every minute of it. As always, very realistic in its details.

[Nitpicking]
Sgt. Howard wrote:Shelly and Jason showed up as well, rounding out the old crew as it were
Shouldn't it be "Shelly and Justin?"
[/Nitpicking]
Thank you- correction in progress
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Finally, Old Nicodemus walked up to the podium and climbed the short steps that allowed him to look over the top of it. The crowd grew quiet with expectation. He spread a Bible in front of himself, opened a marked page and addressed the crowd-
"Ladies and Gentlemen, Ladies and Gentlemen... and all variations thereof...(warm laughter)... to the best of my knowledge, there has never... NEVER... been a marriage ceremony performed in the Library. Some would say with good reason (Damn straight! thought Nudge), others would question the wisdom of such a thing- but wisdom, knowledge, learning... all of this is our true stock in trade. And any religious ceremony, however trivial or obscure, is studied here without a hesitation... but today, we have something totally different. Today, two people whom we know and love ("Feh" snarled Arania) have opened their lives to share a truly ancient ritual with us, who they see as their own extended family. We , who have our many differences, our many squabbles, we are asked to join at their table and break bread... to join at their table and pour wine... to come to this gathering where they will oath in the most solemn fashion to spend the rest of eternity in each other's company. Such an oath, such a promise- who among you have seen the equivalent? Even humans say, "until death do us part"- but death has no say here. One was born immune, the other found a door past death. And what we have seen so far tells us that even a separation of two millennia cannot subdue what these two own."
"So now, I call upon you to witness a miracle , a true miracle of two lives becoming one, of two lives becoming three... or more. hard to say at this point (Chuckles) - Mr. Gaius Cornelius Antonia, would you please step forward?"
Neil stepped up to the podium, standing on the right.
"My dear Phix, would you please step forward?"
Phix did as she was asked, and stood on the left. Neither one was wearing anything fancy- she in a yellow maternity top with a brown cotton skirt and flats, he in wrangler jeans, plaid flannel shirt and tall cowboy boots. Her bouquet was a simple arraignment that HE put together, baby's breath, ferns and three red roses.
"As well you know, this decision is not to be entered lightly. and so I ask of both of you, are you truly prepared for the commitment you are about to make?"
Neil answered first, "Yes, I am,"
Phix followed, "Yes I am,"
"Very well- is there any prior commitment that should stay you from this union?"
"No, there is not" in unison.
"Paul... if you would be so kind..."

".... HE is now to be among you, at the calling of your hearts- rest assured this troubadour is acting on his part
the union of your spirits here has caused HIM to remain for wherever two or more of you are gathered in his name there is love...... there is love..."

A good many of the participants were hearing this song for the first time. Even those who had heard it before were not immune- the hauntingly beautiful lyrics touched even the most hardened hearts... except two...

"... that a man shall leave his Mother, and a woman leave her home- they shall travel on to where the two shall live as one
as it was in the beginning, is now until the end- woman takes a life from man and gives it back again and there's love..... there is love....."

Tears were very evident wherever one would look. It was, and by all rights still is, the ultimate wedding song in English. Many who had no direct exposure to human culture were astounded by the beauty and complexity of the whole thing. Many reconsidered their own views of monogamy in the face of this ceremony.

"... so what't to be the reason for becoming man and wife? Is it love that brings you here? Is it love that brings you life?
and if loving is the answer, tell me who's the giving for? Do you believe in something that you've never seen before? Well there's love.... there is love...."

Neil and Phix had already lost everybody else as they gazed into each other's eyes. This moment was a culmination of centuries of frustration and hope. Nothing could ruin it. Nothing.

"... HE is now to be among you at the calling of your hearts rest assured this troubadour is acting on his part
the marriage of your spirits here has caused HIM to remain- for whenever two or more of you are gathered in his name .... there is love.....there is love....
.......there is love..."

Applause, a sound one would never associate with a library, thundered at the termination of the song. "See? I TOLD you he could sing a pretty song," Bud laughed as she said this to Kevin, who only grinned and shook his head. Jin was whispering something to Allan, something that had Allan's undivided attention. Alan stared at Jin, mouth agape- Jin giggled and nodded her head rather energetically. He whispered something to her and she immediately kissed him. Nearly all of the females (and a goodly number of males) were misty eyed as the ceremony continued. Monica was in tears, Shelly and Justin were kissing and Tina was all dreamy eyed.

Mr. Stookey was quite pleased.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.