Non-Wapsi Art

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Re: Non-Wapsi Art

Post by jwhouk »

Not a bad profile of Sandy, there.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Catawampus wrote:And the only recent thing, which I made for somebody for Christmas and they haven't yet been able to get by here and pick it up.
COOL!! 8-) If the original recipient never does pick it up, I'll be happy to give it a good home. ;)
Catawampus wrote:I suppose that my faerie tale enacted with Lego also counts as art, but it's a bit too lengthy to include.
Sounds like art to me. Then again, I'm a shameless LEGO Maniac. :mrgreen:
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Work in progress...A warm-up because I haven't done anything in several months.

Maybe Sweetie will grow up to be a model for loin-cloths?
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

I love it Jabberwonky!
I was hoping you'd join in, but you have been absent from the fanart lately. I hope this signals a return!! :D
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

WHOA!! Jabber, that is badass!! 8-) Good job!
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Jabberwonky wrote:http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u41 ... 0bcfc2.png

Work in progress...A warm-up because I haven't done anything in several months.

Maybe Sweetie will grow up to be a model for loin-cloths?
I was going to write a witty comment, but it would have been a bunch of bull.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Self-portrait, right?
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Catawampus wrote:Self-portrait, right?
I think my self portrait would be more along the lines of shadow's comment... ;p
Thank all y'all for the kind comments, Immo finish it and correct a couple spots as I find time.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

My son asked me to draw something this morning, and before I knew it, the whole day went by. :oops: Ten drafts before I got one I felt was proper enough to colour(then I found two of my Tombows, and one of my Prismacolours were out of ink).

Linky

Be kind, but honest. I have not drawn a Disney Princess since my last rejection letter, so I'm a bit out of practice.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Lovely! Excellent construction.

Great eyes, good nose, the mouth is a bit small (for me, anyway) but well drawn. Great hair and hand also, but something a bit off with the elbow/shoulder combination for that hand posture. If her hand is in front of her body, the elbow interior line would be different. As drawn, it suggests the hand/forearm is behind her shoulder, as if in throwing a ball, but that would open up the palm -- hence my confusion. Stand in front of a mirror to check. (I do that a lot for hand/arm layout issues)

Applause!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Atomic wrote:Lovely! Excellent construction.

Great eyes, good nose, the mouth is a bit small (for me, anyway) but well drawn. Great hair and hand also, but something a bit off with the elbow/shoulder combination for that hand posture. If her hand is in front of her body, the elbow interior line would be different. As drawn, it suggests the hand/forearm is behind her shoulder, as if in throwing a ball, but that would open up the palm -- hence my confusion. Stand in front of a mirror to check. (I do that a lot for hand/arm layout issues)

Applause!
Thank you.
Break down of the pose:
I first posed it with a mannequin that had sculpey modeled over it for a female form for the basic line skeleton.
I then used a mirror, for the barebones pose before sketching the actual face. Once I got the basic face shape done, and the basic pose done, I refined it about ten times before I got to the 11th which I began to colour. I did not have her palm very open, so it would look like she was getting ready to open her hand to cast the "spell" .

This Disney "Princess" does have a very thin mouth to begin with, then I picked an odd expression(How I prepped for that was to use foundation on my lips, and then paint in the shape I wanted), so when I smirked, it looked very strange.

My son liked it, so I am probably gonna be stuck on The Snow Queen for a while...:P Thanks for the critique.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Not much of a critic, not much of an artist. But I liked the eyes in particular.
:D
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

The first thing that jumped at me, is that the inking seems hesitant: there are places where the ink lines are barely there, while other places have the line doubled on itself. My guess is that you used something with a rather fine point to it. Perhaps if you used a brush pen, it would help with that.

I was rather taken by the face. So much so, that it took me several looks before noticing anything else wrong, besides the inking. Incidentally, I don't really have a problem with that right hand. However, she does seem to have a rather long neck...

The eyes and the hair are very nicely done. Nice braid, very realistic.

Bravo!

BTW, when you say it took 11 tries, do you mean all on the same paper, erased and drawn again, or did you start over on a different sheet every time?
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

lake_wrangler wrote:The first thing that jumped at me, is that the inking seems hesitant: there are places where the ink lines are barely there, while other places have the line doubled on itself. My guess is that you used something with a rather fine point to it. Perhaps if you used a brush pen, it would help with that.

I was rather taken by the face. So much so, that it took me several looks before noticing anything else wrong, besides the inking. Incidentally, I don't really have a problem with that right hand. However, she does seem to have a rather long neck...

The eyes and the hair are very nicely done. Nice braid, very realistic.

Bravo!

BTW, when you say it took 11 tries, do you mean all on the same paper, erased and drawn again, or did you start over on a different sheet every time?
Different sheet every time(well, double sides, as I don't waste paper), sketched with a combination of liquid graphite, HB drawing pencils, and a .05 mechanical for details.
The eyes were a trial and error, then the mouth shape was messing up the entire picture.
The hesitation, as you call it, is on purpose with the light inking, such as on the braid and her magic. By the time I got to lining the sleeves and the cloak, my wrists and hands told me to quit, so I figured it was a good stopping point, and you guys always tell it like it is, so I posted it here so I know where I need work.
I used a 005 for the fine work, like the light detailing on the braid, and a 02 I think for some of the details, and a sharpie pen which is around an 05 for the thick lines, and for the sleeve outlines(because I was not going to ink fine mesh details on a trial picture), I double outlined them in both blue and black, then blended them with my clear brushpen for the illusion of a coloured sleeve.
I used a point dot stipple technique with a Tombow brushpen for the main dress part, and outlined the lips with a Brushpen, and then used a blender brushpen to get the colour I wanted, then took the blender and began to take the tiny amount of colour I managed to coax out of my blonde(I call the colour of this pen blonde no matter what the actual shade is) prismacolour that I streaked the hair with, and blend it with the blender. I also used a pale violet for the eyelids, then blended and kept adding until I was satisfied with the colour.

--Safyr Drathmir
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

So my son made me go through and ink three of them he liked, even though I was not feeling it...he actually cute-faced me into doing it. I got even by adding a funny bit to the first one after I inked the main part, which earned both a smile and a facepalm.

This is what they look like before I do any other work to them:

One
Two
Snowman.

I have to say the third one turned out rather cute in colour.

Here are the WIP colours:

One
Two
Snowman.

I will update these when I get replacement supplies to finish them.

--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Did you draw them from memory, or get reference on-line?
I think they're pretty good either way.
And what's wrong with digitally coloring them? You need to jump into that pool sometime.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

DinkyInky wrote:My son asked me to draw something this morning, and before I knew it, the whole day went by. :oops: Ten drafts before I got one I felt was proper enough to colour(then I found two of my Tombows, and one of my Prismacolours were out of ink).

Linky

Be kind, but honest. I have not drawn a Disney Princess since my last rejection letter, so I'm a bit out of practice.
I'm totally unfamiliar with the character, so I can't really say much in regards to the features or proportions. For all I know, the resemblance to the character may be totally uncanny or way off. I will say that it looks just fine as a sort of cartoon character in general, though. I was confused for a moment as to why her wrist looked as it does, before I realised that she had on long sleeves and that that was where the sleeve ended.

As somebody who hasn't really done much of that sort of work, I also can't say much about the technical aspects. I did notice the "hesitant" (as Lake Wrangler put it) look to some of the lines, and thought that maybe using drawing tools with less of a fine tip might reduce that. Or I could be totally wrong.

All in all, quite well done.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Jabberwonky wrote:Did you draw them from memory, or get reference on-line?
I think they're pretty good either way.
And what's wrong with digitally coloring them? You need to jump into that pool sometime.
I dislike digital colouring my physical drawings, but most importantly, four of my render farm(including where my CS4 is housed) are down for the count, and I lost my Graphire's charge cable. I have Carpal Tunnel, and mouse painting is real hard with a touchpad(oh, and to top it off, both of my trackball mice went blooey).

I got my son the advanced release digital copy of Frozen, and I got the references for them from it, and I also took a couple of the posters I remembered seeing when the movie was released and doodled those poses. I also took the Anna and Elsa as kids and made it so that Elsa brought Olaf to life in that scene(this was before my son made me sit and watch it--the first time he did, I was making dinner, and missed parts of it, so I thought that the snowman ran away after "the incident"). He giggled so much when he saw it, and told me that she did that later.

Personally, I took six years of art, ranging from drawing, painting, ceramics, graphic design, textiles, jewelry(before I apprenticed for my precious metals certification{only to silver though due to the Masters wife did not take up the training when her husband died}), advertising, and much, much more.
I once on a whim while bored got an airbrush and practiced on junkyard scraps. One of the boneyards used to have me paint up the most frequently requested "ricer" car models hoods and doors with simple designs, then sell them to the kids pre-customised. My take was the paint plus I got the parts for free.

I was self-taught up to high school and college. I ground some of my own pigments(PitA), and painted with those, in addition to water, acrylic, oil, alkyd, and tempera. I'm more at home with sables than with a computer. When goofing off in monochrome, I usually use India Ink and glass pens to ink them.

I dabble with CG art, but rarely deal with digital drawing. it feels so odd and clunky compared to the tools I am used to using. If you have drawn with traditional medium for over three decades like I have, a digital pen(even the custom ones) feel clunky and chunky.

Just my 2cp.

--Safyr Drathmir
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Catawampus wrote:I'm totally unfamiliar with the character, so I can't really say much in regards to the features or proportions. For all I know, the resemblance to the character may be totally uncanny or way off.

All in all, quite well done.
it's one of the characters from Disney's newest animated movie, "Frozen". and i also agree that it is well done.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

lake_wrangler wrote:Perhaps if you used a brush pen, it would help with that.
DinkyInky wrote:Personally, I took six years of art, ranging from drawing, painting, ceramics, graphic design, textiles, jewelry(before I apprenticed for my precious metals certification{only to silver though due to the Masters wife did not take up the training when her husband died}), advertising, and much, much more.
I once on a whim while bored got an airbrush and practiced on junkyard scraps. One of the boneyards used to have me paint up the most frequently requested "ricer" car models hoods and doors with simple designs, then sell them to the kids pre-customised. My take was the paint plus I got the parts for free.

I was self-taught up to high school and college. I ground some of my own pigments(PitA), and painted with those, in addition to water, acrylic, oil, alkyd, and tempera. I'm more at home with sables than with a computer. When goofing off in monochrome, I usually use India Ink and glass pens to ink them.

I dabble with CG art, but rarely deal with digital drawing. it feels so odd and clunky compared to the tools I am used to using. If you have drawn with traditional medium for over three decades like I have, a digital pen(even the custom ones) feel clunky and chunky.

Just my 2cp.
Boy, do I feel stupid, now... I should be asking YOU for advice!

*Bows in reverence at the years of multi-media experience*