Non-Wapsi Art

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

shadowinthelight

Re: Non-Wapsi Art

Post by shadowinthelight »

I just spent close to two weeks working on a three page Misfile fan comic dealing with Emily's mother coming home from her reunion. It was done by 1) saving the entire comic archive to my computer so I could find the right models, 2) massive amounts of copy and paste, 3) vector tracing and conventional coloring. I was seriously starting to despise the illogical lines in Emily's hair but I finally got it done. You can click on the thumbnails to view at my deviantART. Nothing NSFW (unless you work at a church or something) but it is a little naughty.

Image Image Image
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Wow, Shadow, that was very good. Seamless, your cut/paste vector trace, was very effective. I don't follow that particular comic, so I don't know how close to the humor or characters you got, but it was funny and or embarrassing like I believe it was intended. Your time showed. I'm glad you posted and it was worth looking at. I hope the comic artist appreciates it as much as I do.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
shadowinthelight

Thanks. Even though I simplified things by not adding shading to the characters I did try to make everything else as good as possible. I think I finally learned to effectively use layers. I also spent a few hours looking at real pictures of the cars depicted to draw my own versions because the original art was so inconsistent. Hopefully the backgrounds also helped capture the mood of each panel (except page 3 panel 2, I couldn't think of anything symbolic so I went for what looked cool instead). Maybe later I'll upload high res copies of the art (3x larger, you can actually read the XR4Ti badge) and the original copy/paste layout for the hell of it.
Wdot wrote:I hope the comic artist appreciates it as much as I do.
I doubt Chris pays much attention to the Fan Projects forum but it is posted there too so who knows.

And I'm still banging my head at the realization he uses Comic Sans MS.

edit: The 1689x2364 resolution artwork
Image Image Image

and the original copy & paste stuff for comparison: page 1, page 2, page 3

Jabberwonky

For Dinky...

Post by Jabberwonky »

"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
DinkyInky

Re: For Dinky...

Post by DinkyInky »

Jabberwonky wrote:Image
Okay, so a cartoon mockup, but that still isn't the real you, so I didn't get my wish...:P
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Well, seven weeks after the first operation (and one week before the original medical leave of absence came to an end), I got my second wrist operation. I'm not sure how long the doctor wanted me to stay off work, this time around, but I managed to talk him down to three weeks only, for a total of two and a half months altogether.

I have been doing well, mostly, but it turns out I was not doing quite as well as I thought... I have been able to do much, at home, but it turns out that there are a lot more vibrations coming off a bus steering wheel than I first figured. My right hand (first one to be operated on) is doing fairly well, with the occasional tension on the wrist, if pulling in certain directions. The left hand, however, is a different story: if I hold the steering wheel in such a way as to lay my palm flat on it, the vibrations are too much. If, on the other hand, I hold the steering wheel with just the fingers, while holding the palm up and away from it, it's OK. Interestingly, while I was not having symptoms at the time of the operation, after the operation on the left wrist, my thumb, index and middle finger started feeling numb and tingly, like what happened during my bike trip last year. Since then, the middle finger has stopped being numb. As for the the thumb and index, sometimes it feels like it's diminishing, if not in intensity, at least in the surface of the fingers which feel this numbing and tinglyness, but other times I can't tell.

Still, I hope to start being able to start riding my bike, soon, by adding padding to the handlebar, and by holding less tightly with the left hand. I need to start biking as soon as possible: in two and a half months without exercise, I have gained 20 lbs!

We'll see how it goes, I guess...
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Glad to hear that things are going sorta tolerably well, at least, and that the hands haven't simply fallen off or anything.

It's odd, though: I've never known anybody who has had that surgery done, and then in the space of just a couple of months there's been you and three other people who I know all undergoing the procedure. I'm not sure if it's coincidence, an increase in carpal tunnel syndrome in the population, or if the procedure has just become a better option lately.
shadowinthelight

It took me a week (mostly because I kept letting myself get distracted) but I finally finished a trace and color of the all female group photo from El Goonish Shive. It's a funny hybrid of Dan's older artwork with the current colors and eye style. This one actually overloaded my old copy of Paint Shop Pro with too many layers. It can display more but only lets you access nine of them.

original 1920x1080 here

edit: Updated because I had accidentally left Nanase's blush layer disabled.

Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Just playing with cel shading, a little NSFW, there's some side-boob. Well a lot of side-boob but nothing naughty. The line work is from the talented Shon Howell, a fine artist and a lover of tiny kitty-babies.

and a direct link

Edited for a less boob-o-centric view...
Last edited by Jabberwonky on Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

The coloring and shading is indeed impressive, but shouldn't it be completely behind a link, in light of its rather NSFW nature (even if it's not actually naughty) ? Someone at work might get a rather big (and possibly embarrassing) surprise, upon opening the thread to unread posts...

Out of curiosity, how long did that take you?
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I didn't think it was going to be so big...I'm gonna make a crop of it as soon as I can
I was being rather lazy and only giving it a hour a day or so. I was playing around with a method I got from youtube so maybe seven or so hours.
shadowinthelight

lake_wrangler wrote:Someone at work might get a rather big (and possibly embarrassing) surprise
More like a pair of big surprises. ;)

oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

surprises are nice and i wish i had yalls talent. poor pickle can out draw me.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

oldmanmickey wrote:surprises are nice and i wish i had yalls talent. poor pickle can out draw me.
Drawing? Practice, practice, practice!

You Can!

Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Atomic wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:surprises are nice and i wish i had yalls talent. poor pickle can out draw me.
Drawing? Practice, practice, practice!

You Can!

EDIT: Stinky Img.

I second Mr. Atomic's words. I went from rank amateur to okay at it in less than a year of diligent practice. I keep meaning to do the same for drawering, but haven't put the time in. As of yet.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Hey, Jabberwonky very nice shading! I especially like how you did her hair! The whole picture is nicely done! I'm envious. oldmanmickey everyone has some artistic talent, it is just a matter of using what you have to the best of your ability. What you have to decide is whether you like to draw or color enough to sit down and do it. I'm in awe of some of the talent expressed in the art forum and yet I still submit colorizations now and then. Do something and submit it if you like, it adds to the forum's magic. I'm just going to say here, Shadow your rescripts are funny. I was wondering about a gas mask joke and you delivered. :D
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I'm more of a designer than an artist - i do better at assembling elements into finished graphics than i do at creating the elements, if that makes sense.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

I thank you all for the encouraging words but i know my limits. My talents lay more in problem solving and mechanical things. Give me a electrical item and i can bring it to life like a MacGyver. Diagram it, draw a schematic sure, draw people not so much.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:I'm more of a designer than an artist - i do better at assembling elements into finished graphics than i do at creating the elements, if that makes sense.
Practically the definition of a Graphic Designer...
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Jabberwonky wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:I'm more of a designer than an artist - i do better at assembling elements into finished graphics than i do at creating the elements, if that makes sense.
Practically the definition of a Graphic Designer...
Yep - back when my folks were running a small advertising shop, Eloise-the-Art-Department told me i could probably be a decent graphic designer.

But i was already an electronic tech.

(A few years later, an attorney friend said that the way i analysed the $2000-baseball-card case and the Virginia stolen milkcrate law indicated i could have been a decent lawyer... But it was WAY too late for that.)
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.