Hello Everyone!

Once you've registered your login, please put a post here. This will help us confirm real users vs spambots, and gives everyone a chance to say hello.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Dacquoise11

Hello Everyone!

Post by Dacquoise11 »

Hello readers, I first started reading Wapsi Square in 2004/2005, became a regular reader for a year or so then got so caught up with one thing after another until I stopped reading for about 10 years! In the past 6 months I remembered it, checked back and got sucked right back in. So glad to see it's still here, and I'm also happy to see the wide variety of people who also enjoy it. A little about me- I love on the East Coast, I teach culinary arts and restaurant job skills to adults with disabilities and handicaps. Love my job, love to cook and bake and the participants in my program inspire me every day. I love to hike and camp, the forest is my true home. My user name is my favorite dessert ever, if you have never had Dacquoise you need to try it, or make one for yourself and a few other good people. Happy to be here! :D
Some day in six inches of
Ashes will be all
That's left of our passionate
minds,
Of all the world created
By our love, its origin,
And passing away. -Marichiko
Sgt. Howard

Re: Hello Everyone!

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Welcome to the madness. Beware of Dave, he's our resident evil punster.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Howdy do and welcome back!

There's been a bar/liquor/mixed drink thread -- now maybe a desert thread? I mean, how many things can you do with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup? Time for something new!!

I mean, something other than the kitten's chalet frozen dessert -- the Gatto Chateau Gateau. That's been done already.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Greetings, I have to make this quick 'cause I only stopped by to get the morning Wapsi-fix; I have to go replace a Fuel Pump right now, (I'm a Computer Tech, cant you tell?) but all the while I'll be thinking of Crème Brule' & Chocolate Gnosh...

mumblegrumblerumble... shtupid spell-check...
Dacquoise11

Post by Dacquoise11 »

@TazManiac, do you mean ganache? Ganache is one of the most lovely things in the world!
Ashes will be all
minds,
Of all the world created
By our love, its origin,
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Dacquoise11 wrote:@TazManiac, do you mean ganache? Ganache is one of the most lovely things in the world!
Why, Yes, yes- but I was rushing and the spellcheck in Firefox often has no taste at all... ("add to Dictionary?', check...)

btw, I agree on your Ganache position. It's can be very useful in making new friends and cementing friendships already established. You can keep it simple, or use it in ways not indicated on the label...
Dacquoise11

Post by Dacquoise11 »

Making ganache (in my opinion anyway) is an essential kitchen skill. It is one of the first recipes I teach in my program. Few recipes contain two ingredients only and are so delicious and versatile!
Ashes will be all
minds,
Of all the world created
By our love, its origin,
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Welcome to the wild, wonderful world of Wapsi weirdos...and one of my favorite simple desserts is, I learned it as Romanov sauce but I don't know if that's it's right name. But, 1 pint sour cream, a tablespoon of brown sugar, a tablespoon of brandy. Mix until the sugar sumblimates and let it rest for a while so the flavors blend. Over strawberries it's divine but I'd just about anything with this on it...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Blackberry pie... start by going out to the south and east fences and start picking blackberries until you have enough (about 4 cups). Wash them and set them aside... cut slivers of unsalted butter into 2 & 1/2 cups of general purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and mix to right consistency. Mix one egg, 1/4 cup of water and one tablespoon of distilled white vinegar, add to flour mix and stir into a ball- refrigerate while you do the rest... in a 2 quart saucepan, mix 1/3 cup quick cooking tapioca, 1 cup sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of salt- add 1 cup of blackberries and toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Cook and stir over medium heat until berries burst and bring to a gentle boil-then remove from heat and carefully stir in remaining berries. Now separate your dough ball in half and roll out each half. Do whatever prep is proper for your pie plate, line it, pour the filling, and either lace-top or full cover with slits as you prefer. Cook at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Allow to cool. Be prepared to fend off hungry teenagers.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I like that recipe (excuse me for not looking before asking but...) do we have an ongoing thread for food-stufs and how-to make them?
If not, maybe I should get busy kicking one off.

That said; there are two things that come to mind, these spurred me to ask even though this was originally an Introductory posting, and I'm in danger of hijacking it off the rails, still-

Sarge,
A Question and a Comment:

Q) What does the tablespoon of Vinegar do for the crust?, (besides adding some 'tang'...

C) I really like the 'add half the berries and cook w' sugar, etc...' then add the other half of the berries later... In fact I've been experimenting w/ Adding a portion of various ingredients at different times through the cooking process lately. <-- More on that later, elsewhere.

Lastly; Dacquoise. Plz take it as a good thing that your original thread has rambled and has offshoots. (At least I hope you will...)
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

The vinegar helps the egg to set the crust just right. G'Ma Kay taught me that- she was pure hillbilly.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I already tried making a recipe-sharing thread... It didn't take off.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

GlytchMeister wrote:I already tried making a recipe-sharing thread... It didn't take off.

I do well w/ raising necro-threads from the dead. Let me go get some Tanna Leaves, I'll be right back.