Hidy

Once you've registered your login, please put a post here. This will help us confirm real users vs spambots, and gives everyone a chance to say hello.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

chicgeek

Hidy

Post by chicgeek »

Chicgeek here. Been reading Wapsi from early on. And I have a silly question. See, I'd been computerless for about a month, had to end up replacing it. And...I notice there's no longer the comments under the daily strip. What's up with that? Did Pablo decide to eliminate that feature because there's a new forum?
I'll mostly lurk here. Just don't have the time to post a lot. One of these days I'm going to reread Wapsi from the beginning! It's evolved so much over the years.
Thanks.
Dave

Re: Hidy

Post by Dave »

chicgeek wrote:Chicgeek here. Been reading Wapsi from early on. And I have a silly question. See, I'd been computerless for about a month, had to end up replacing it. And...I notice there's no longer the comments under the daily strip. What's up with that? Did Pablo decide to eliminate that feature because there's a new forum?
Thanks.
The shutdown of the Comments section came first... Pablo said he was finding the trolling and spamming getting too far out of hand... too much to handle as a solo moderator. He listened to the urgent plaintive cries of the Wapsiholics among us, and set up the forums as a substitute... "separate but linked".

The new forum system has a group of volunteer moderators to help keep things moving smoothly (guys and gals, if you're ever in the Silicon Valley area, PM me and I'll buy you lunch as a thank-you).

Many of us hope that the old comments area can be restored in a read-only mode, so that earlier discussions will be available for new readers. Time will (probably) tell...
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

It looks like there's a way to 'enable' all comments, then 'close' all comments. I might have to do it in the database. There'd be a 'comments are closed for this article' message for every page.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Bookworm wrote:It looks like there's a way to 'enable' all comments, then 'close' all comments. I might have to do it in the database. There'd be a 'comments are closed for this article' message for every page.
That would be wonderful, Bookworm, if it's feasible and Paul approves!
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

Thanks. I can't blame him for closing them, then. But I do miss them! Ah, well. And, as you say, at least there's here. Yay for volunteer mods! A big thank you to all of the mods for taking on this space.
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

Dave wrote:
Bookworm wrote:It looks like there's a way to 'enable' all comments, then 'close' all comments. I might have to do it in the database. There'd be a 'comments are closed for this article' message for every page.
That would be wonderful, Bookworm, if it's feasible and Paul approves!
That would be most awesome if you could manage that. =)
PrettyPrincess

Post by PrettyPrincess »

That means Bookworm would deserve a batch of cookies...
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I'll try to work on it. I've been very preoccupied. Right now i have three computers on my workbench, and six of them hovering around my feet, just waiting to pounce and eat my toes.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Bookworm wrote:I'll try to work on it. I've been very preoccupied. Right now i have three computers on my workbench, and six of them hovering around my feet, just waiting to pounce and eat my toes.
Oooh! I want a Hover Computer! :o

Even at the price of a few toe-nips...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Bookworm wrote:I'll try to work on it. I've been very preoccupied. Right now i have three computers on my workbench, and six of them hovering around my feet, just waiting to pounce and eat my toes.

I think they are due the year after we get our flying cars. . . . :P
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

bmonk wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:

I think they are due the year after we get our flying cars. . . . :P
Oh Dear God. Judging from most of the drivers in my home town, I'd hate to see the carnage of giving them up and down to use at the same time. :o
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Oh Dear God. Judging from most of the drivers in my home town, I'd hate to see the carnage of giving them up and down to use at the same time. :o
Why do you think we don't have flying cars?!?! :twisted:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

Mark N wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
Why do you think we don't have flying cars?!?! :twisted:
I'll settle for a car that can do the long highway stretches on its own and let me read a book, play iPod games, watch a movie, etc to help stay awake. I don't mind driving and I'm not asking for full autopilot, but a car that could get me to my exit on its own would be awesome.
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave11 wrote:I'll settle for a car that can do the long highway stretches on its own and let me read a book, play iPod games, watch a movie, etc to help stay awake. I don't mind driving and I'm not asking for full autopilot, but a car that could get me to my exit on its own would be awesome.
We do have something similar to that... it's called Greyhound... ;)
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Dave11 wrote:I'll settle for a car that can do the long highway stretches on its own and let me read a book, play iPod games, watch a movie, etc to help stay awake. I don't mind driving and I'm not asking for full autopilot, but a car that could get me to my exit on its own would be awesome.
We do have something similar to that... it's called Greyhound... ;)
Thanks but no thanks...I'm looking for a personal conveyance, not public transit - I like to not have to rent a car/bike to get around where I am.
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"