First Introductory Thread

Once you've registered your login, please put a post here. This will help us confirm real users vs spambots, and gives everyone a chance to say hello.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Catawampus

Re: First Introductory Thread

Post by Catawampus »

Salutations and season's greetings (I'm sure that it must be some season wherever you may be).

I haven't been able to get up and about recently, so I've been lounging around and working my way down a list I found of various webcomics. Yesterday I found this one, enjoyed it, and read through the archive. So now here I am, waiting to see what further antics and adventures Monday may bring to us. In the meanwhile, I shall try to avoid breaking the forum, or getting muddy footprints all over its carpet, or dividing it by the square root of negative zero.

About me: I was born when I was very, very young. After that, things got complicated.

Just assume that I was found and raised by a colony of meerkats, until I was eventually captured by some shadowy government conspiracy who used me as a test subject for their fiendish experiments on bad senses of humour. You won't be far off the mark that way.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:Just assume that I was found and raised by a colony of meerkats, until I was eventually captured by some shadowy government conspiracy who used me as a test subject for their fiendish experiments on bad senses of humour. You won't be far off the mark that way.
Welcome aboard!
Dragonaur

Post by Dragonaur »

Salutations! I'm Dragonaur (you can call me Sean if you wish). Another long time reader. Thought I'd finally register on the forum. I've been drawing a fair amount of Wapsi Square art ever since I saw Monica spear an icecream cone! I'll post some fan art once I figure out the place a bit. ^_^
BrokenMoonblade

Post by BrokenMoonblade »

Hmm, it appears I'm only about a month later and a couple posts short - to butcher the old phrase - on introducing myself. Obviously, I'm one of those folks that sets the instructions aside for later.

I'm been following the comic on and off for a bit, but bit the bullet and joined the forum after Paul unveiled his plot to gain dominion over all the "D'awws." (Surprised we haven't had mention of an international agency asking him to stop pegging the needle.) I bow before our new adorable overladies.

*Bows to the crowd and slips back into to the shadows*
ActionKermit

Post by ActionKermit »

Hail and well met to all concerned. I've been a fan of WS for several years, but only just found out about the forums. It's great to be able to read the daily discussion archives and get a sense for other people's perspective on the comic.

About me: I read a pretty huge number of webcomics on a regular basis (333 in my active bookmark collection, 77 slow-movers that I only check once a month or so, 184 in hiatus, 228 recommended comics in the hopper that I haven't read yet, most of which are long-form speculative fiction and dramas). Apart from that, I science for a living and go to grad school.
VitaNuminous

Post by VitaNuminous »

Hello!
My name is Valerie. I'm a little shy to be here, but I absolutely adore this comic so I thought it might be interesting to check out the community.
I'm a writer, mom, wife, and work part time at a fabric and craft store that tempts me into many more projects than I should be spending my time on. I found Wapsi a couple years ago rather randomly, after discovering web comics with Girl Genius.
I'm hoping there is a thread or two discussing the creation of story and character as well as other things, and maybe finding out if the author visits a con or two so I can be a shameless fan girl and shake his hand.
So, there's the extremely short intro. Thank you again and look forward to meeting everyone!

~Valerie
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Welcome one and all! Try the cookies -- made fresh daily over in Confusion Corner of the Wapsi Pub Room.

Have fun, play nice, and enjoy!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

VitaNuminous wrote:Hello!
My name is Valerie. I'm a little shy to be here, but I absolutely adore this comic so I thought it might be interesting to check out the community.
...snippage...
I found Wapsi a couple years ago rather randomly, after discovering web comics with Girl Genius.
AH!, another Girl Genius fan, Howdy, howdy howdy!... and if you haven't been properly inducted into the G.G. fan-club yet,... Here, Drink This!... handing you some unknown liquid in a bottle marked "Jaegerdraught"...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I'm a writer, mom, wife, and work part time at a fabric and craft store that tempts me into many more projects than I should be spending my time on.
Welcome to the other side! And maybe we'll see some Wapsi inspired textiles? (If my mother were still with us, I'd be pestering her for a Wapsi Quilt)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Dave

Post by Dave »

Welcome aboard, Valerie! As you'll see, there's a very active community discussion about each day's strip, with lots of speculation and musing and personal reactions (and puns... it's allowed and often encouraged). Wapsi is a very "rich" strip, and I know I've gotten a great deal more appreciation of it from the conversations and debates we've had in the forum (and in the Comments section before it). This is one of the nicest (and funniest and fun-est and most talented) online communities I've ever had the pleasure of encountering... please do join in! Would love to see some examples of your textiles at some point... the "fan art" or "pub" sections are good places to show off such things, if you're willing.

I don't know that there has been any single thread (or a small number of them) on the evolution of the strip, and the portrayal of the characters... it's been more of an ongoing discussion spread across multiple threads. You can pick up a good deal of background information on the characters, and in many cases a synopsis on their evolution and growth over the years, from the "Cast of Characters" and "Chronology" threads in the daily section and at the Wapsi Wiki.

If there are particular subjects you'd like to chat about, which aren't particularly tied to the events of the day and week, then you might want to open up a new thread in the "General Discussion" section and raise the issue... we've had some very interesting discussions there.

As to Paul going to cons - I believe he visits the ones in his area (Minneapolis, of course) fairly regularly, and I think he was an honored artist at one of them a year or so ago. I've been hoping that he'll come out to the left coast one of these days, but it hasn't happened in the time I've been reading Wapsi... I don't recall seeing any mention of him going to any of the east-coast cons, either. We can hope!
HiFranc

Post by HiFranc »

Hello, my name's Francisco. I used to be quite active in the comments section of WS.

I live in Newcastle upon Tyne.
Francisco
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Hi Franc! :mrgreen: Welcome to the Wapsi Forum, where speculation runs rampant alongside general weirdness and there's always room for one more in Confusion Corner.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
WinstonBellwether

Post by WinstonBellwether »

Good afternoon,

Longtime Wapsi reader here, at least back to the introduction of Lakshmi wayyy back in 03. I met Paul once in person at the MN Fairgrounds during a comic con a number of years back. I am presently a 3L law student at William Mitchell in St. Paul MN, and an amateur writer, having posted some works online, way more stuff offline. Point is, I'm always coming up with ideas. I think when there were still comments added to the comic on each page I occasionally would comment, but when the forums were created I must have gotten an account lost in the transition, if I had ever created one. That said, it's past time that I re-entered the Wapsi community.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Welcome to the party! Just watch out for the Fan Art folks...you might find yourself sporting Tina's new 'do if you turn your back on them. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Julie wrote:Welcome to the party! Just watch out for the Fan Art folks...you might find yourself sporting Tina's new 'do if you turn your back on them. :P
Oh, and let us not forget. Keep all food and beverages away from keyboards and screens, and remember to keep arms and legs inside, then sit back and enjoy the ride!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
loxmyth

Post by loxmyth »

Hm; apparently I never posted a "hi, everyone" note. Let's see, who am I...

Engineer. Programmer. Bibliophile. Ailurophile. Locksmith. Lox myth. Meddler. Muddler. Pedaler. Puzzler. Occasional musician. Synthesist. Analyst. Analog. Analogue. Monologue. LG. INTJ. INVLPG. DOMitBotR. W3CDOM. Random. Orderly. Left leaning. Right handed. Left eyed. Right opinionated. Bit blitted. Pixilated. Brother. Bother. Trouble maker. Trouble shooter. Straight shooter.

Too many interests and hobbies, not enough time (and not organized enough) to have gone into any of them as deeply as I'd like.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Lox is not a myth. I seen it at Kat's Deli on 6th street in Austin.
Oh, and welcome to the madhouse...
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Jabberwonky wrote:Lox is not a myth. I seen it at Kat's Deli on 6th street in Austin.
I think he's the guy they were shouting for at the end of Robin Hood: Men in Tights.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:Lox is not a myth. I seen it at Kat's Deli on 6th street in Austin.
I think he's the guy they were shouting for at the end of Robin Hood: Men in Tights.
*/snickergiggle*

Welcome to the boards, and watch out for the freshly made puns(some of them are causing issues with the singularity event known as the pun vault(pun jar is too tiny for these guys).

Getting into trouble is almost as fun as getting out of it, ne?
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

DinkyInky wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:
*/snickergiggle*

Welcome to the boards, and watch out for the freshly made puns(some of them are causing issues with the singularity event known as the pun vault(pun jar is too tiny for these guys).

Getting into trouble is almost as fun as getting out of it, ne?
I always go back to that hoary old bit, "It's better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission."
:P