Buffers In Place 2012-05-16

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Buffers In Place 2012-05-16

Post by jwhouk »

How Kat fits into this... is simple.

So simple I can't believe I didn't think of it already.

The baby in the picture was her. The fetus that Brandi didn't account for got downloaded into a separate compartment; Brandi somehow stored it wrong with the other seven "dolls of the Anasazi", and when Ol' Orson tried to return the dolls (especially the baby doll) in 1976, he accidentally released the baby doll one - and the fetus enclosed ended up with his assistant, who ran back home to her parents back in... Minnesota.

I can't remember - Kath is what, 37?

EDIT: Then again, I kinda like Jay-Em's description.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Kat is in her fourties according to Paul.

We both speculate in the same direction, me thinks.

To me, The crystal between Lily's boobs stored Kat. How she came to be in 70's America is still a bit unclear to me. We'll find out soon enough. The Orson-bit sounds plausible.

Oh my!! Suddenly realized that Shelly's Kachina dolls are álso made of crystal. Oh dear... :shock:
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

Mark N wrote:Now I understand. Kath was a fetus in storage. Brandi said that pregnant mothers had to be separated from the baby to be stored. If she was somehow released without a host she may have gone to the nearest compatible female to carry her to term. As far as Suzi and her companions. They might have been released in a similar malfunction and died in the desert. :ugeek:
I had thought that maybe Kath was the ancestor baby earlier on in this story arc, that maybe Miller had somehow released her when he found the dolls. However, the original story Kath read on the computer placed the date as 1976. If Miller had found the baby or infant then she would be in her 30's not her forties. Kath would have been about 10 years old when Miller found the dolls in the original story.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

I am with others here who believe that some sort of accident is about to happen. A buffer overflow error seems plausible. Bud starts to purge the system and only saves 6 people before the whole system collapses. Maybe it has something to do with the demon world?
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Fairportfan wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:Hrmm. Smokey Stover or Hogan's Alley, and that's about it for my olde comick knowledge. Other than Dick Tracy, but it doesn't have the right sound to it.
Thimble Theater

Ring a bell? (No fair googling before you answer.)

I've just been searching for a specific page online and it doesn't seem to be up anywhere...
That was the comic that Popeye took over.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Just as a refresher question, but I don't think the spider crystal was on the wall when Dr. Gilchrist was inspecting it. I didn't see it in any of the profile views.

"Nov shmoz ka pop?"
Last edited by Timotheus on Thu May 16, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

It didn't activate until after Kath and Atsali used the portal.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Why is everyone assuming that the dark-haired girl in today's comic is Brandi? She doesn't have the symbol on her forehead that was remarked on a couple of days ago, and her clothing is different. Given the look of dark-haired girl, she may well be a vampire... (look at the teeth)

Can't wait until tomorrow...
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Timotheus wrote:Just as a refresher question, but I don't think the spider crystal was on the wall when Dr. Gilchrist was inspecting it. I didn't see it in any of the profile views.

"Nov shmoz ka pop?"
The Squirrel Cage; created by the original creator of Our Boarding House after King Features hired him away from NEA to do a similar feature (Room & Board) for them. Squirrel Cage was a "topper" - a second strip that ran with the main feature on Sundays. (Sappo, which, like Thimble Theater was taken over by secondary character O.G.Wotasnozzle but kept the same title, was a topper for Thimble Theater, for instance.

(Info from my late friend Don Markstein's Toonopedia ... and, by golly, there's the strip with Blozo i searched high and low for yesterday! I see it's spelt "pezoozees"... But i've seen it more recently spelt the way i did.)

Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Geezer wrote:Why is everyone assuming that the dark-haired girl in today's comic is Brandi? She doesn't have the symbol on her forehead that was remarked on a couple of days ago, and her clothing is different. Given the look of dark-haired girl, she may well be a vampire... (look at the teeth)

But she's running the system (as Brandi was) and we've pretty well established that the other girl is Bud.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

So THATS how Obama does it. :lol:
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

TheDOCTOR wrote:So THATS how Obama does it. :lol:

To show how old that joke is, later in the the strip Popeye makes the same remark - although he says 'the government.'
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

TheDOCTOR wrote:So THATS how Obama does it.
And why should he let George Bush's administration have all the fun?

(I'm just opposed to picking on any one administration when it's such a universal occupation.)
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Dragon Hostler

Post by Dragon Hostler »

by as363 » Thu May 16, 2013 7:22 am
To Dave - The one I remember was "Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers" - said several times as fast as you could - to see if you were to be allowed to drive after the "Yard" of beer competition .
I remember a TV commercial for the Yellow Pages; "Where you can even find rubber baby buggy bumpers!"
Born Again Heathen
Hostling dragons is similar to hostling horses, but ya need a bigger shovel, oh, and bigger nose plugs. Don't forget the nose plugs!
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Geezer wrote:Why is everyone assuming that the dark-haired girl in today's comic is Brandi? She doesn't have the symbol on her forehead that was remarked on a couple of days ago, and her clothing is different. Given the look of dark-haired girl, she may well be a vampire... (look at the teeth)

Ummmm mostly because she identifies herself as Brandi in at least two strips in the past three or four days......

Here: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/my-location/

and Here: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/the-deal/

That, as they say in the Air Force, is a shack...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

DilyV wrote:Ummmm mostly because she identifies herself as Brandi in at least two strips in the past three or four days......

Here: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/my-location/

and Here: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/the-deal/

That, as they say in the Air Force, is a shack...

AND... she's the one that made a deal with the Demon Realm, as well.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I'm definitely getting the impression that "Brandi" is more than a single personality. Multi-phase, schizoid, separated by epoch, or whatever - there are plenty of clues that "Brandi" is not an integrated individual. And there's still the lack of that forehead emblem that bothers me.

I waited for tomorrow, and now I find I have to wait until Monday. Oh well...
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

"Or what could happen if they weren't separated in that manner" Talk about foreshadowing.

That symbol on her face may have been some sort of press-on emblem she puts on when she has to make an official appearance.

Also, the sunken cheeks of the assistant (or supervisor?) are rather reminiscent of Lilly, though the rest isn't. But then women can radically change their looks at will with hair coloring, hairdo, and makeup, so who's to say?

"The demon world will have a haven free from the chaotic elder gods, at least the majority of them." I wonder if this means the earth has many more than the usual share of demons? Maybe many of them (and other beings) fled here to receive sanctuary via the world grid? Could explain why the earth is such a center of demon and paranormal activity.

So maybe she knows the earth isn't in atmospheric peril, but she has to store everyone she can anyway as part of the deal with the demons. When she says she is saving their lives, she may be referring to some other impending cataclysm and the climate ruin thing is just a ruse to get it done.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Maybe she's storing these people to keep them from demonic possession? The Demon's might be expecting to have a free run with the Lanthians/Anasazi - and this is Brandi doing a double-cross.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville