Buffers In Place 2012-05-16

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Re: Buffers In Place 2012-05-16

Post by Fairportfan »

Timotheus wrote:Ya beat me and my Encyclopedia of American Cartoons.
What - it doesn't list Thimble Theater?
Then again it might not be Bud, it could be a blank golem that hasn't had a full personality imprinted on it yet.
Nah - talks too good.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

As creepy as she is, I think that is Bud. She and Brandi seem to be all but inseparable.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Fairportfan wrote:What - it doesn't list Thimble Theater?
Oh it was listed, it was just resolved faster than I could get the book off the shelf and confirm it was Popeye and the correct series title was Thimble Theater and not The 'Something' Boardinghouse.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Now I understand. Kath was a fetus in storage. Brandi said that pregnant mothers had to be separated from the baby to be stored. If she was somehow released without a host she may have gone to the nearest compatible female to carry her to term. As far as Suzi and her companions. They might have been released in a similar malfunction and died in the desert. :ugeek:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Timotheus wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:What - it doesn't list Thimble Theater?
Oh it was listed, it was just resolved faster than I could get the book off the shelf and confirm it was Popeye and the correct series title was Thimble Theater and not The 'Something' Boardinghouse.
There's a great sequence (the one i was looking for but couldn't find) where King Blozo (whose kingdom is broke) stands with his hands extended over a pile of counterfeit money and intones something like "I, Blozo the First, declare that these fake pazuzas are now real pazuzas. Ptooey, ptooey, ptooey - I have spoken!"

Popeye remarks that he oughta tell the United States treasury about that trick, and Blozo says he thinks they already know...
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Mark N wrote:Now I understand. Kath was a fetus in storage. Brandi said that pregnant mothers had to be separated from the baby to be stored. If she was somehow released without a host she may have gone to the nearest compatible female to carry her to term. As far as Suzi and her companions. They might have been released in a similar malfunction and died in the desert. :ugeek:
How about a buffer overflow error? Some of the mother-offspring pairs don't get properly separated, then the system purges the ‘corrupted data’ and you get the girls in the desert.

As for Kathryn, take a good look at Brandi’s assistant then turn the hair and eyes black. I think she’s a better match for Kathryn than Bud.

So maybe Kathryn is/was the caretaker of the storage facility? Which just leaves us with the questions of:
  • Why she wasn’t there instead of out getting shot at in Galilee?
  • Who and why the shooters were?
  • When and what happened to her memories?
  • Plus if she was Brandi's assistant, could she be another golem? Maybe derived from a spider? (Remember Tepoz indicated he may have been made from a weasel.)
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

First thought at seeing the strip: "BUD????"

Second thought: "Oh, that explains a LOT."

Third: "The lost dolls are the seven plus a baby that she missed, perhaps?"

Fourth: "I think I know why Bud didn't remember this - Nice Job Breaking it, Kevin."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

My2Cents wrote:As for Kathryn, take a good look at Brandi’s assistant then turn the hair and eyes black. I think she’s a better match for Kathryn than Bud.
compare.png
compare.png (178.45 KiB) Viewed 7761 times
Could be Katharine, but...

Nose looks more like Bud's...
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

Dave wrote:So, the system is equipped with Brandi's Baby Bumping Buffers?

(unngh... that concept alone may be enough to destroy civilizations...)

The pun jar.... its hunts for theee
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
Bud_Fanboi

Post by Bud_Fanboi »

Way the hair looks.. Well Bud always complained about straw like hair and that's as good a visualization of it as any. And as far as the serious face... Well she's wrapped in mummy garb, something might have happened to piss her off lol
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Whoa!

Mummy wrappings!

I just remembered i had this:
ah ha.jpg
ah ha.jpg (122.92 KiB) Viewed 7754 times
=====================
=====================
mike weber
as363

Post by as363 »

To Dave - The one I remember was "Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers" - said several times as fast as you could - to see if you were to be allowed to drive after the "Yard" of beer competition .
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

as363 wrote:To Dave - The one I remember was "Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers" - said several times as fast as you could - to see if you were to be allowed to drive after the "Yard" of beer competition .
Heh. In a Tom Slick cartoon on George of the Jungle, Tom is getting rammed off the track by the Bad Guy. The track announcer describes the action:
Tom has stopped. There's a baby buggy parked by the track, and it has rubber bumpers on it. Tom is removing the rubber bumpers from the baby buggy and putting them on his car ... oh, it looks like a bad day for your announcer, folks...
And then there's this...
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

=====================
=====================
mike weber
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Aw, c'mon, Acacia. Isn't the creepiest idea the sticking of souls into minerals in the first place? Who knows where that might lead.

WHO WANTS PIZZA
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Dave wrote:So, the system is equipped with Brandi's Baby Bumping Buffers?

(unngh... that concept alone may be enough to destroy civilizations...)
Only if they're Bright Blue.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
eee

Post by eee »

NOTDilbert wrote:Aw, that's sweet, her mummy is helping her....

(Are you guys sure that's Bud?)
I don't know. It's got Bud's blonde, wispy hair. And fangs. And the Golems can make their eyes glow. But even in a Doomsday crisis, would Bud have that expression on her face? And why the mummy wrappings?

On a related topic, if all these crystals still hold people, why didn't Brandi let them out before this? They should have come out once the climate settled enough to sustain human life again. The only thing I can think of is, before she could do that Tepoz shut the GGG down and hid them, then got 'stoned' himself. We know Jin stayed functional during that time trying to set things up to fix the Calendar Machine, but she may not have been able or willing to release all these thousands of people on her own. And Brandi certainly can't let them out NOW, with human civilization reborn and following a different path. This is not a good situation. :(
Julie

Post by Julie »

Yeah...looks like Bud to me. And this...
Fairportfan wrote:Whoa!

Mummy wrappings!

I just remembered i had this:

EDITED: Image of GGs including Bud-as-mummy
...settled it for me. That's got to be Bud. :)

The glowy eyes thing...makes me wonder if she's fully "herself." I tend to agree with Boxilar that maybe this is what she was like before being granted the ability to be herself by Monica. Creepy, but kind of sexy-cool. :)

Also I'm on board with Boxilar & Mark N regarding Kat being a recent "download" from crystal storage...though I'd be very curious to see how that was triggered. :) It seems highly unlikely that today's mention of how a pregnant woman and her unborn child are (supposed to be) stored is happenstance. Now I'm just waiting to hear if something did go wrong with that separation (and how that impacted who Kat is)...or if the "creepy" separation itself resulted in Kat's funky eyes. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Dave

Post by Dave »

as363 wrote:To Dave - The one I remember was "Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers" - said several times as fast as you could - to see if you were to be allowed to drive after the "Yard" of beer competition .
Exactly correct... that's the one I was referencing. The one I noticed isn't quite as effective as a tongue twister (I think) but even so it would be a pretty good tipsy-detector.

Now, if Katherine and Atsali run across an ancient Anasazi temple which is decorated with statues in the forms of 44 dead stone lions, we'll know Paul is really playing games with us. According to Number Ten Ox, this phrase in Mandarin "comes out as ssu shih ssu ssu shih shih, if it comes out at all."
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Waittaminute!!

The next is highly speculative, but it kinda makes sense to me.

The crystal the vampi-girls found! An empty buffer....... Something went wrong and the crystal got displaced, (or precisely "placed", given the spider connection ? ) someone "in the know" found it, or was meant to find it, and set off to save the embryo in it.

When going further with the "kat was an uploaded embryo separated from her mom"-theory, my next conclusion would be: the vampi-girls, they found the place where Kat was released/taken from her crystal. The crystal is the empty shell.

But by who? Director Oduya? Tepoz? maybe even crazier-->Director Oduya imprinted the embryo/genetic info ( I must stop thinking about the info in the crystals as physical beings. it's info, genetic blueprints or something like it. ) Into some pregnant, young woman.
Somehow I feel that Kat's connection with Bird-girl is a subtle hint about her own history. I mean as in orphaned/left alone( the embryo)

Kat's "incubator" is now between Lily's boobs... Hmmmm....*sigh* ....eh whut? Was momentarily distracted...

Remains to be seen what Kat's role will be in the grand scheme. With Brandi, there's always bigger things going on.
Last edited by Jay-Em on Thu May 16, 2013 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)