My Location 2013-05-14

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Re: My Location 2013-05-14

Post by Dave »

Mark N wrote:Well this does at last explain why Lilly and her friends were left lost in the desert to die. The stargates malfunctioned and dropped them just short of the terminus and the memories were either the damage of such a dump or the memories are in the storage system waiting to be released.
I'm not sure the dates work out for that. Lily said that she died in the desert "around five thousand years ago", and the Mapimi explosion is given as 6,367 years ago. There could be quite a gap between the "sauve qui peut" rush to the stargates, and the point at which Lily found herself still-alive-and-dying in the desert.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

I have to wonder what the plan was to revive those stored in the crystals (assuming they are there)? What's the use of storing everyone if they have no hope of being restored? They should have already been restored since the ELE never actually happened. OTOH, maybe they already have been restored and the crystals are empty.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

"Well done, Brandilyn. You've saved the day by destroying the world."
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

bmonk wrote:
jwhouk wrote:If an advanced civilization can create stargates, it can also create a Babel-fish-like universal translator.
It's gotta be exceedingly sophisticated--or it will babble in translation.

[drops a fishing fly towards the pun jar, angling for an escape]
I evince the TARDIS.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Post by Dave »

KnightDelight wrote:I have to wonder what the plan was to revive those stored in the crystals (assuming they are there)? What's the use of storing everyone if they have no hope of being restored? They should have already been restored since the ELE never actually happened. OTOH, maybe they already have been restored and the crystals are empty.
Well, there's no reason to believe that Brandi would have intended to put herself into crystal-storage. By the time the Mapimi debacle arose, she'd already been a golem for thousands of years - she's either "not alive" or "immortal" depending on how you want to view her status - and would not have been at any risk from bad air, global warming or volcanic winter, etc.. She may have decided (kinda on the spur of the moment) to put the Lantians/Anasazi/??? into storage quickly (to save their lives during the extinction-level event) and then initiate the revival herself after a few hundred (or thousand) years.

If so, something (or some-things) did not go as they might have. For one thing, it appears that the ELE didn't actually occur. Whatever ecological disruption the supervolcano(s) caused, wasn't as bad as Brandi is saying it would be. Either she was mistaken about the effects, or was lying outright, or something else happened to suppress or correct the ecological damage.

For another thing, Tsillah's remarks in the Library imply that nobody revived the "lost folks", which may mean that somebody stopped Brandi from doing so.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

What about all those "faces" that Jin always saw when she was having her psychotic episodes?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

illiad wrote:"any science, sufficiently advanced, will seem to a primitive culture, like demons and magic" :)
"ANY technology, no matter how primitive, will seem to be magic to those who don't understand it" Florence Ambrose.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

I will mention again that we have no geologic record of an extinction level event happening around that time. Only the kikai volcanic event near Japan. So if an event of this scale occurred all traces of it were somehow erased or it occurred on a parallel time cycle. Or maybe this is a training video.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Atomic wrote:
zachariah wrote:
Boxilar wrote:I think.. I think all those "storage crystals" are people.
At least they are not green squares sold in super markets near you.
Don't be so sure:

Mmmmmm... Soylent Green!!!! Now in watermelon flavor!!!! LOL

*Tosses a Charlton Heston trading card into the pun jar*
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
illiad

Post by illiad »

scantrontb wrote:
illiad wrote:"any science, sufficiently advanced, will seem to a primitive culture, like demons and magic" :)
"ANY technology, no matter how primitive, will seem to be magic to those who don't understand it" Florence Ambrose.
ah thanks for that, it does get a bit mangled, But I define technology as a physical thing, and science as the whole knowledge of it, so I updated it.. :)
Julie

Post by Julie »

txmystic wrote:
Julie wrote:
txmystic wrote:The Anasazi spoke modern English?
Oh for heavens sake! This one is easy to explain away! :P :roll: If you're dealing with a complex "computer" that has a "rosetta stone" of ancient languages stored away, is it really so hard to believe that said "computer" could translate audio files into the language of a couple of users? If you're worried that it wouldn't "know" modern English...didn't it just hear Kat translate the oldest entry?
I posted before coffee ;-)

As someone absorbed in an unfolding mystery about an ancient civilization, having something not normally associated with that time (English) is a bit of a shock. It's like in the film Saving Private Ryan, when, after two hours of gritty, bloody, heartbreaking action, they finally catch up with Private Ryan, and decide to join his team to defend the bridge and are awaiting the climactic German assault, at one point we see Private Ryan smile.

And Private Ryan has perfectly white hollywood teeth.

Pulled me right out of the story momentarily. So did this.
Ahh...my husband suffers from that problem. I get so absorbed into the story that I rarely catch things that could be classified as errors/mistakes on the first run-through. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

I'm assuming this was not spoken in English, nor translated by the program. I'd say either:
  • Kath is translating (from subtext?) on-the-fly, utilizing her Rosetta welcome.
  • Brandi is speaking some language that Atsali understands (as a spoken language, at least).
  • The "sound" recording is actually a mental message, put in words by each witness seperately. (The welcome screen was visual only.)
... or it's a blunder ...
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Julie wrote: Who's to say that this isn't where the guy Kat read about (who found the kachina dolls) disappeared into this place?
I wonder if that means that guy has also been stored in crystal? Maybe the one Lilly and Suzie found?

Dave wrote:
Mark N wrote:Well this does at last explain why Lilly and her friends were left lost in the desert to die. The stargates malfunctioned and dropped them just short of the terminus and the memories were either the damage of such a dump or the memories are in the storage system waiting to be released.
I'm not sure the dates work out for that. Lily said that she died in the desert "around five thousand years ago", and the Mapimi explosion is given as 6,367 years ago. There could be quite a gap between the "sauve qui peut" rush to the stargates, and the point at which Lily found herself still-alive-and-dying in the desert.
Maybe they were successfully stored in crystals for over a thousand years and then restored, but without all their memories?
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Dave wrote:
starkruzr wrote:Also, this AI has been sitting around and listening to English as broadcast on RF for about 100 years. I think it should be just fine translating spoken language.
Assuming, that is, that a hundred years or so of exposure to multiple simultaneous broadcasts of American radio haven't left it firmly in the "frothing psychotic loony AI" category. There are some things that no sentient being should be exposed to... overdoses of talk-radio are high on the list :?
To paraphrase Harlan Ellison's story "Laugh Track", concerning Aunt Babe's afterlife trapped in the electronic ether of Broadcast Television: It's amazing what prolonged exposure to Gary Coleman can do to a person.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

kingklash wrote:
Dave wrote:
starkruzr wrote:Also, this AI has been sitting around and listening to English as broadcast on RF for about 100 years. I think it should be just fine translating spoken language.
Assuming, that is, that a hundred years or so of exposure to multiple simultaneous broadcasts of American radio haven't left it firmly in the "frothing psychotic loony AI" category. There are some things that no sentient being should be exposed to... overdoses of talk-radio are high on the list :?
To paraphrase Harlan Ellison's story "Laugh Track", concerning Aunt Babe's afterlife trapped in the electronic ether of Broadcast Television: It's amazing what prolonged exposure to Gary Coleman can do to a person.
Odd we should mention that:

(Mouseover text: "The strongest incentive we have to develop faster-than-light travel is that it would let us apologize in advance.")
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Reminds me of...

SETI just translated the first message from another star system: send more Chuck Barry.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

NOTDilbert wrote:Reminds me of...

SETI just translated the first message from another star system: send more Chuck Barry.
Yep, that's an old SNL skit.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

scantrontb wrote:
Doggy!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Sidhekin wrote:I'm assuming this was not spoken in English, nor translated by the program. I'd say either:
  • Kath is translating (from subtext?) on-the-fly, utilizing her Rosetta welcome.
  • Brandi is speaking some language that Atsali understands (as a spoken language, at least).
  • The "sound" recording is actually a mental message, put in words by each witness seperately. (The welcome screen was visual only.)
... or it's a blunder ...
Orrrrrr.... Paul had to put it in a language we could read because trying to decipher glyph would have left us all going WTF????? LOL :lol:
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

That doesn't explain how Atsali reacted to what she was saying. 8-)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!