There were Earthquakes 2013-05-13

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

There were Earthquakes 2013-05-13

Post by DilyV »

You gotta wonder if Jake Blues was there.....
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Dave

Re: There were Earthquakes 2013-05-13

Post by Dave »

So, the disappearance of the Anasazi was Brandi's fault? The Kikai caldera lies along the geological discontinuity known as Brandi's Fault?
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

hsssss
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

There's a spreading crack in th floor running from the Pun Jar towards you......
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

NOTDilbert wrote:There's a spreading crack in th floor running from the Pun Jar towards you......
Yeah, watch out, Dave. It'll swallow you hole.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Dave wrote:So, the disappearance of the Anasazi was Brandi's fault? The Kikai caldera lies along the geological discontinuity known as Brandi's Fault?
Ignoring the pun for the moment, think about it... The Kikai Caldera is in Japan. The last noted Eruption was on the order of 6300 or so years ago. How on earth could the Kikai Caldera V.E.I. 7 eruption cause the demise of the Anasazi? One would think the cause would be a lot more local. Also, closer in time geologically. The Anasazi existed between 100 AD and 1300 AD... The demise of the Anasazi is thought to be caused by a drought which caused them to abandon their settlements though some evidence points to a massive breakdown in the social order (i.e. cannibalism and mass graves). Does anyone have any evidence of volcanic and earthquake activity in the southwestern US around 1300 AD?

Dave... *sighs* If it wasn't Brandi's Fault, it is now... the... name... the name of the fault... is now Brandi's fault... LOL

EDIT:

After doing a bit of research, there is a commonly reported idea that there were 4 massive volcanic eruptions in the 1275 to 1300 time frame. I've only been able to find the names of three of them.

Quilotoa, Ecuador (VEI 6 in 1280)
Katla, Iceland (VEI 4 in 1262)
Hekla, Iceland (VEI 4 in 1300)

The next known large VEI event was Mount Pinatubo in the phillipines in 1450 plus or minus 50 years, rated at a VEI 5 event.

Between the 1450 eruption of Pinatubo and 1482, there might have been four VEI 5+ eruptions – Mount Pinatubo, Mount Sakurajima, Japan (1471), Mount Bardarbunga, Iceland (VEI 6 in 1477) and two VEI 5 from Mount St. Helens in 1480 and 1482.

Of all these, Quilotoa in 1280 and the two St. Helens events in 1480 and 1482 have the possibility of being close enough to them to be known to the Anasazi.

That being said, what is he possibility that the Quilotoa eruption caused the demise of the Anasazi? The other eruptions are too long after the Anasazi are supposed to have disapeared.

How did the Anasazi entering the data learn of these volcanic and earthquake events?

Questions Abound!
Last edited by DilyV on Mon May 13, 2013 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Actually, the volcanoes and earthquakes may have only been a SIDE EFFECT of what was really going on - the grid was being put in place to keep out the Old Gods. I imagine some of 'em were a bit pissed that their private playground had been closed. And since several of the OG were reputedly omniscient, being done in secret would have been difficult - I imagine there was...opposition...to the effort.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Wikipedia to the rescue. So Japan and over 100 Islands were taken out by this thing..... Nope, Still not gettin' it.
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

...someone was in a hurry and forgot to fill-in a rather tattered shirt...

Okay. And where do those underwater buildings/ excavation sites/ odd-ball rock formations found in Japan come in?

(thought I'd throw that one in to further fuel the fire of speculation, and obsessing about minutiae)
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

A massive event in Japan would trigger events all around the pacific. The ring of fire would feel the shock wave and react to it. So there were probably events all around the ring. This means volcano's, earthquakes, and other fun stuff. It didn't wipe the Anasazi but it definitely started their migration away from those areas. There are extensive lava fields in that part of the US desert and a few are that old. The same is true of Mexico.
The big question is why would putting the last cell in the grid set those off? A change in the energy field of the earth should not create the internal pressure needed to trigger the first event? For a major event to occur the pressure has to increase inside the magma chamber until it is great enough to blow the top off it. The only way I can think of it causing it is if the field somehow squeezed the earth and raise the pressure enough for the event to start. You know, pop the pimple.

Drop a HUGE antiseptic cleaning pad in the pun jar.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

NOTDilbert wrote: And since several of the OG were reputedly omniscient, being done in secret would have been difficult -

I think that the term "omniscient" is a misnomer... I'll bet it was just an exaggeration from a particular entity being VERY well informed about whatever subject you care to ask... more like we are today compared to say, the Dark Ages... you ask someone from that time about something and you get one answer, that may or may not, be even close to accurate, with no real way for the person asking to "know" if it was the truth or not... yet today with the internet, radio, telephones, etc... to that same medieval person asking US the same question... we'd seem like omniscient gods to them as well... nah, "I" think that the OG's were just people who's reputations outgrew their person... yes, i'm allowing for the supernatural to be "more than ordinary" but if YOU could Poit and had access to tech like the Vimana's and or even higher tech than that (as per Atsali), i'll bet you'd be a bit less-than-careful of the mosquito's buzzing around your head too... thus the apparent lack of concern over what happens to us. just like we really could care less about the feelings of the individual ants in an anthill as we slowly fry them with a magnifying glass!, BUT, little do we know (or care) that the surviving ants of that horrible devastation would go on to tell other survivors, (and their descendants) about how the giant two-legged monster with heat vision that cooked all his victims as quickly as he could look at them, could care less about them even though they tried to stop him, or get it's attention but were ignored or they couldn't understand the monsters thought processes at all... the monster was a totally insane unknowable enigmatic entity from beyond their knowledge, that loves to eat them for snacks (chocolate covered ants, anyone?)... HMM, does this sound familiar... kinda like how we seem to be describing, oh, say... Cthulhu? he's a totally insane, unknowable evil entity from beyond our ken, that could care less about us, as he eats us for a light snack, and I'll bet that if we were somehow able to have a meaningful conversation with him, and ask him something, his tech would be able to give him the answers real quick, just like we would be able to answer that medieval person's questions using OUR tech really quick, too.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Jay-Em wrote:...someone was in a hurry and forgot to fill-in a rather tattered shirt...

Okay. And where do those underwater buildings/ excavation sites/ odd-ball rock formations found in Japan come in?

(thought I'd throw that one in to further fuel the fire of speculation, and obsessing about minutiae)
End of the last ice age. The melting of the ice raised the sea level and flooded them out. May have been sinking of the area as well and the weight of the ice went away. They date back 10K years, not 6 K.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

I am wondering if this fits the over all time line? If the last of the cells was put in place 6,300 years ago this is before the time loop started. How does this match up against the fall of Lantis, the GG girls being under control, and Brandi making her deal with the demon realm?
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

(greatly edited for time and space)

There's a hole in the bottom of the sea
There's a hole There's a hole

There's a log on the hole in the bottom of the sea...

There's a bump on the log in the hole in the bottom of the sea...

There's a frog on the bump on the log in the hole in the bottom of the sea ...

There's a tail on the frog on the bump on the log in the hole in the bottom of the sea...

There's a flea on the tail on the frog on the bump on the log in the hole in the bottom of the sea...

There's a speck on the flea on the tail on the frog on the bump on the log in the hole in the bottom of the sea...

There's a teeny weeny something that's so small you can't see it On the speck on the flea on the tail on the frog on the bump on the log in the hole in the bottom of the sea...

There's a what?!!... There's........all that stuff in the bottom of the sea...
There's a teeny weeny something..... On the speck on the flea on the tail on the frog on the bump on the log in the hole in the bottom of the sea

Let's forget about that teeny weeny something and we'll...
pluck the speck, flick the flea, tweak the tail, flip the frog, move the bump, lose the log, and fill up the hole in the bottom of the sea...

'cause no one wants a hole in the bottom of the sea!!!!
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Not having looked at any Ice Age/Climate data for said volcanic eruption era, the people downwind suffer from the ash cloud from any eruption. Mt St Helens ash screwed up things through Idaho, Montana, and Northern Nevada and Wyoming. A honking big Japanese volcano would pollute the whole Northern Pacific, and by riding the jet stream, much of Western North America in a few days. Remember that the dust from Krakatoa led to world wide cooling (the year without a summer in N. America) and spectacular sunset colors for years.

Whatever climatalogical edge the Anasazi were near at that time, no doubt the Kikai fallout pushed it over the edge for many a year.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

"There were earthquakes..."

Gods and sphinx,
Vimana cells,
And Brandi's friends were not afraid.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/kikai-caldera/

Things went all blooey.

Hang on a second... Kath knows about the Earth grid?
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Heh. I like the next day, and Brandi's remark about "good intentions" ... which puts me in mind of a certain teen-aged Siren...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
as363

Post by as363 »

Well well - Sali is certainly quick with her recitation of the facts - as is Kath . And they all add up to mortals such as us scrambling to fit them into our current time-line.

I'm willing to let go of the minutia and sit back and enjoy the show as it occurs .

++++++++++++++++++++

Faith can move mountains - but it can't beat a fast draw. Nelse McLeod

++++++++++++++++++++
eee

Post by eee »

Kath is getting more impressive by the moment. Not only is she translating an ancient language on the fly, AND apparently healing at a rapid rate, she can figure out how many centuries have passed by examining a star chart. It's like watching a female Dr. Who in action. Lord knows what she's going to do next, but I bet it will be amazing. :D