Welcome Screen 2013-05-10

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Mark N

Re: Welcome Screen 2013-05-10

Post by Mark N »

Am I the only one getting a "Clark in the Fortress for the first time" vibe from these last two strips????

And I am still getting the "Donna Noble is saved" feeling as well.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Silence in the Library!
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

The short-lived toy-based cartoon "Robotix" centered around an entire alien civilization stored within a vast database. The conflict involved the the good and bad guys placing their individual data into various mecha, and fighting each other to control the fate of their stored people. Here, we may have a similar goal in the pedipalps and talons of Kat and Atsali, Accidental Adventurists.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Silly girl! "What's the point of us learning the third language?" Because it's there!

And then there is the little factor of stuff written only in the third language.
Dave

Post by Dave »

bmonk wrote:Silly girl! "What's the point of us learning the third language?" Because it's there!

And then there is the little factor of stuff written only in the third language.
If it really is older than Glyph, then there may be some very interesting back-story yet to be revealed! It might conceivably be pre-Lanthian, and I don't think much at all has been disclosed about the origins of the Lanthian civilization and what came before it. The Wapsi chronology has little in the way of "hard dates" for Lanthian times... vaguely between 28000 BCE and around 10000 BCE. That's a huge time-span.

That's long before the Vimana shield went into place, of course, so the Titans and Elder Gods and other inter-dimensional travelers would have had access to Earth. The language might even have its roots in the early days before the apotropaic sphinxes started "protecting" humans against demons by killing the demon-infested... so there might be direct demonic influences in the language and its civilization-of-origin, perhaps?

"Today, we will learn five new words in Doubtish."

Or, it might just be the Lanthian/Anasazi equivalent of Pig Latin or 1337speak, I suppose :?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I can't quite make out the differences between the other languages and glyph in the panel from Thursday, but I do believe I've determined that "glyph" only has 20 "letters".

In order of appearance:
  1. Di
  2. Wt <= Brandi's symbol (the "t" is in a cross-shape)
  3. Oi
  4. My
  5. Gt
  6. Ua
  7. Oe
  8. Vl
  9. Oo <= Monica's symbol
  10. Ec
  11. cA <= Jin's symbol
  12. Wv
  13. %J
  14. 3D
  15. Ut
  16. oY <= Bud's symbol
  17. Qu
  18. Ct
  19. jD
  20. fQ
  21. Y <= Bia's symbol (may or may not be Lanthian)
The command Monica gave Bud to "activate" her memories was "QuOoDioY". The name of the language, by the way, is "jDVlfQOo" (from Tepoz's discussion with Kukulcan).
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Cyberpawz

Post by Cyberpawz »

This really didn't amaze me... although what amazes me is is Kath seems to of gained some cleavage as the mission has gone forward... has anyone else noticed this? Or is this just an implication of Paul's liking of well endowed girls ;)

Only reason I say that is because if you take a drawing he did of her not to long ago:

To the last frame from the most recent comic, she looks to have well grown a few cup sizes to say the least.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Cyberpawz wrote:This really didn't amaze me... although what amazes me is is Kath seems to of gained some cleavage as the mission has gone forward... has anyone else noticed this? Or is this just an implication of Paul's liking of well endowed girls ;)

Only reason I say that is because if you take a drawing he did of her not to long ago:

To the last frame from the most recent comic, she looks to have well grown a few cup sizes to say the least.
Paul has made mention of this several times recently that Katherine has a habit of wearing very baggy clothes so it hides her figure. He has shown her to have this figure several times over the years it was just not so noticeable.
Last edited by Mark N on Sat May 11, 2013 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

jwhouk wrote:I can't quite make out the differences between the other languages and glyph in the panel from Thursday, but I do believe I've determined that "glyph" only has 20 "letters".

The command Monica gave Bud to "activate" her memories was "QuOoDioY". The name of the language, by the way, is "jDVlfQOo" (from Tepoz's discussion with Kukulcan).
How do you know what the pronunciations of the glyphs are?
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Anyone else see the Spider motif in the wall paper???
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

"Note to self: Place head between knees, kiss ass goodbye."
Julie wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:Even if the person who dictated the message died right after, Kath and Sali should be OK as long as the last word wasn't "aaargh".
Yeah...that was my first thought. :P
Me too. Second thought: "...they are coming." :?
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Dave wrote:

"Bath. Towel. Delight. Border. Mustache. May I see your pisspot, please?"
I Think We're All Bozos on This Bus
Last edited by NOTDilbert on Sat May 11, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

jwhouk wrote:Something I noticed, looking back through the list of glyph references: whenever Monica uses it herself, she starts with her "Oo" glyph.
Not always - but it does seem to be a very common character at the beginning of words - notice that Bud uses Glyph a lot but doesn't start sentences with either Oo or her Ov sign. This isn't unusual, and in fact is the sort of thing you expect to find in languages. Monica's "Oo" glyph is one that does not yet have a known phonetic definition. For example, when Monica hurts her thumb the cry is "DiWt OiMvGt UaOeVlWt" and doesn't feature Monica's Oo at all. (The Roman alphabet representations are a good idea, though I think the equivalents could be tinkered with.) We may not have seen all the glyph symbols, of course, as alphabets have rare letters and common ones, but it's interesting that Glyph seems to be an alphabet rather than a syllabary.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

KnightDelight wrote:
jwhouk wrote:I can't quite make out the differences between the other languages and glyph in the panel from Thursday, but I do believe I've determined that "glyph" only has 20 "letters".

I'm not - I'm using a English-character-equivalency pattern for each symbol. It doesn't work well with some of the symbols, of course.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Dave wrote:

"Towel. Delight. Border. Mustache. May I see your pisspot, please?"
I Think We're All Bozos on This Bus
Or it could be she is waiting for the electrician, or someone like him...

And remember that in the next world, you are on your own!
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Hey Katherine, try this command: "Read me doctor memory."
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

"Close "B" clothes mode on Agent Pratt."
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

"Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers!"

EXIT 284A - OUTER DARKNESS - RIGHT LANE SCREAMING ONLY
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
as363

Post by as363 »

Just to cover Dave's' former and further transgressions - very carefully deposits a complete set of 1795 Waterford Crystal ( In the original cases and owned and signed by Thomas Jefferson ) into the Pun Vault .

You owe me Dave if you do that again.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Faith can move mountains - but it can't beat a fast draw. Nelse McLeod.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

jwhouk wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:

I'm not - I'm using a English-character-equivalency pattern for each symbol. It doesn't work well with some of the symbols, of course.
Ok, but where did this "equivalency" come from? Did you just make it up?
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap