Get to Mapimi 2013-04-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
zachariah

Re: Get to Mapimi 2013-04-26

Post by zachariah »

sonicthunder wrote:This has been your daily dose of exposition. Thank you for listening. Please exit through the portal to your left.
Using Sali as a background information source is reaching I think. While I am sure she learned that is school she left a whole bunch out. She probably didn't listen while reading one of her adventure books.

That line about theri tech being powered by the genes in the bodies is interesting though. It implies that the genetic coding is needed to make it work, or that they incorporated their own DNA in building the technology.

If they included their DNA then they were breeding machines and devices to do things for them. Very little evidence would remain as most living devices have limited life spans when not properly cared for and fed. The only real evidence of that is the Golem Girls. They were the result of biological experimentation after all.

But we have seen mechanical devices from these civilizations that have lasted, like the calendar machine. The crystal dolls. The gates. The genetic keys would limit the users quiet nicely. It also implies that Maya can still use the network.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

Boxilar wrote:Oh, and while it may be artistic licence, but Kath's bruising and abrasions are gone. She may not heal quite as fast as Atsali,(or a certain Canadian) but she's recovering a lot faster than is humanly possible.
This is a really good point. Her face is completely clear...

...on a side note, The title "Get to Mapimi" reminds me of an old Republic Airlines commercial.
Stigmartyr762

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

I had my suspicions, and it's nice to see them confirmed. :D
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Hm, I wonder - if they use the portal and end up in Mapimi, would Kath's face suddenly clear up a bit of all the bruising?

Think of what Atsali just said: technology in the DNA. Is a side effect of using the technology cellular repair - of the kind where a huge gash on the forehead heals quickly?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
livinthelife

Post by livinthelife »

Panel 1 has me hearing Atsali as Pinkie Pie now. I...kinda like it. Please tell me I'm not the only one.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

I'll bet we are not with K&A on Monday. Paul usually goes from place to place in these arcs to break things up a bit, and this has been an interesting one. Monday we'll be back in Minneapolis.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

davids4250 wrote:I'll bet we are not with K&A on Monday. Paul usually goes from place to place in these arcs to break things up a bit, and this has been an interesting one. Monday we'll be back in Minneapolis.
It's time to check in on Lilly again in their progress I think. Either at the gate trying to figure it out, or appearing there just after K&A fade out.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
as363

Post by as363 »

I note that Miss A mentions how the Library was teaching about the gates. I wonder if the genetic coding access was also mentioned ? Seeing that the Library has access to anything written - it would stand to reason that would include the glyph pictorials inscribed beside a gate.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Faith can move mountains - but it can't beat a fast draw. Nelse McLeod
Radical_Knight

Post by Radical_Knight »

And... Awaaa-a-aaaaay we GO!!!
Memories die hard long after reality has turned to dust.
DilyV

Re: Get to Mapimi - 2013-04-26

Post by DilyV »

zachariah wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, we've been hit by a clue-by-four.

Kath is not what she seems.
Never thought she was. This whole arc seems to be about who she really is. To me it's looking more and more like she is the Spider Women. Can we now call her the web slingerette?
Sure, why not? Monica farts rainbows (insert toot here), I can just see Kath bending over and tooting spider webs...

*rummages around in the pun jar and pulls out a nomex fire suit because I'm prolly going to hell for that one*
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

jwhouk wrote:Hm, I wonder - if they use the portal and end up in Mapimi, would Kath's face suddenly clear up a bit of all the bruising?

Think of what Atsali just said: technology in the DNA. Is a side effect of using the technology cellular repair - of the kind where a huge gash on the forehead heals quickly?
Technology keyed to genetic markers. Whoa... that made me think back to quite a few movies... firstly Forbidden Planet, where Doctor Morbius uses the Krell mind machine... and Total Recall where Quaid uses his own hand to start the martian reactor. Now Kath dialling in a stargate address...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Okay, so this time I only had four thoughts after reading today's page and the comments here. :)

1: Is Kat paying attention to anyone? First she doesn't notice/react to Brandi's derping, and now she's not reacting/commenting on the massive exposition from Atsali...

2:
zachariah wrote:You dial using the genetic markers in the skin to activate the material. Better than finger prints. This might actually be a strong clue that Kathy is the other Anasazi still living.
Huh...well maybe this would explain Kat's lack of reaction to the exposition we just received...

3: What if the stargate operates by sensing the touch like a touch screen? I wouldn't put it past the Lanthians to have figured something like that out. :)

4: Even if you do dial using genetic markers, does that necessarily mean that Kat is an Anasazi? I'd wager that a decendant may still carry the correct markers...

All that said, I kind of hope Kat's an Anasazi. That would be fun. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Speaking of artistic license... any bets as to whether it's significant that Atsali was portrayed as a very Tsillah-like shadow in the last frame today? Is Pablo just having fun with us, offering a false trail down which we can scurry in a flurry of misdirected speculation? or is there more to it than that?

Hey, gotta have something to talk about over the week-end!
ShirouZhiwu

Post by ShirouZhiwu »

Technology powered by their own genes. That sounds like something I would write. Now I'm really interested to see more of Kat's back ground. She has the wrong behavior pattern for someone who is thousands of years old, so is she a clone? Was she on ice for a few thousand years as a kid? Real life science has managed to store data in the DNA of bacteria that lasted several generations, but I don't see Anasazi DNA faithfully replicating itself over several generations of genetic infusion from other cultures without the possibility of thousands of others with her ability. Someone is pulling a stunt and Kath is the apex.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Ancient tech tracing back to Atlantis activated by genetic markers? Kath better be careful or she may end up waking up the Wraith.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Julie wrote:1: Is Kat paying attention to anyone? First she doesn't notice/react to Brandi's derping, and now she's not reacting/commenting on the massive exposition from Atsali...
Not reacting/commenting, true.

Not noticing... too early to conclude that, I think. She didn't do anything like a double-take, but maybe she wouldn't... not her style. One thing we've learned about Kat during this adventure is that she can be very focused and directed in her actions... she's come through some very busy and traumatic events, and then set out doing the Next Thing that needed to be done, based on some complex knowledge and understanding she possessed.

She seems to be a woman with a rich and intellectual inner life, and a very great deal of outer reserve. She's a recluse, after all. She learns, she observes, but she does not necessarily react spontaneously very often (piscine lactose exposure being an obvious exception)

If I had to guess, I'd guess that she was paying attention, did notice Brandi's tics and sudden shift in persona, did hear what Atsali said, and is processing these bits of information and will react to them later at a time when the knowledge is useful. She isn't just standing around, wasting time saying "Hey, did you feel like we were actually talking to two different people there, and why are you talking about pants on Lanthians when they mostly all got kilt?" when she wants to get to Mapimi before the suits arrive.

As to whether Katherine is an ancient (immortal?) player whose memories have been lost or suppressed... I'll buy one "Oscar is actually her keeper and guardian, and is an accomplished expert in hypnotic mind control" card please, Vanna! :D
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

As far as Kath not reacting to Brandi's tick, remember how Kath reacted when she first saw Tepoz? She didn't freak out, she called him the "little blue guy" and was relived to know why Monica was so "balanced". She didn't feel it necessary to freak out or comment on it. Kinda like Spock actually, very logical and to the point.

Anyway, has anyone considered that maybe Katherine herself is the "ancestor baby"? Maybe she was found as an infant in stasis or something, and was adopted but never told the whole story. It would explain why she has no memories of being an Anasazi.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Remember the second time she saw Tepoz? http://wapsisquare.com/comic/handledthatwell/
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
bmonk

Re: Get to Mapimi - 2013-04-26

Post by bmonk »

jwhouk wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, we've been hit by a clue-by-four.

Kath is not what she seems.
The pun jar is eying you with interest, so I'll toss it a plank.
as363

Post by as363 »

Just got the Sketch Book - it's drop-dead gorgeous . Many thanks for the quick shipment Paul.