Beaver Dams 2023-09-25

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Beaver Dams 2023-09-25

Post by Dave »

https://wapsisquare.com/comic/beaver-dams/

Internal, mental beaver dams sound good.

External beaver dams, not so much. It would take a humongous beaver to build a dam large enough to even slow down what we saw Valerie let loose on Friday.
FreeFlier

Re: Beaver Dams 2023-09-25

Post by FreeFlier »

Or a tribe of beaver over years . . . the largest beaver dam I ever saw was 8-10 feet (3-3.6m) high and 500-600 feet (150-180m)long . . . they'd been expanding it for at least ten years at that time, according to my late father, who had seen one (long gone) even larger maybe twenty years before.

--FreeFlier
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Beavers frequently are responsible for wetlands where there wouldn't be any without them. They create entire ecologies that had been just streams before. The only other species that have that much impact on the ecology are termites, and us... :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Opus the Poet wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:42 pmBeavers frequently are responsible for wetlands where there wouldn't be any without them. They create entire ecologies that had been just streams before. The only other species that have that much impact on the ecology are termites, and us... :ugeek:
Some of the herd animals- including elephants! - come close . . . by creating grasslands in place of scrublands and forests . . .

--FreeFlier