Which Way 2013-02-25

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Which Way 2013-02-25

Post by jwhouk »

I think I know where Pablo is going with this... I've got this whole Rushmore/Crazy Horse thing going on in my brain, and I'm not talking music.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

zachariah wrote:
Lee M wrote:Atsali found a vital clue after taking pot.

Hey, somebody had to say it.
You are right. It was obviously planted there to be found. They didn't leaf it alone either.
I would put forth a half-baked theory of my own, but I worry it would go up in smoke.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
eee

Post by eee »

Regarding Atsali having the vase, she would have had to dash back into the other room, grab it, then get back to and clamber down the ladder one armed (which she would have had to do anyway, her other being out of action for anything heavy). It's possible, if she were fast, and focused enough not to leave potential clues and items of value behind. Which proves that (stands by the Pun Jar with several coins to facilitate matters) she may be flighty (ka-ching), her feet may not be firmly on the ground (ka-CHING), but at least she's no birdbrain (KA_CHING!!).

RE the alcove: How many dolls were there? I see five shelves, this might be where they were originally. And if the alcove was cut into solid stone, and the structure coming down might collapse the floor above them, as deep into the alcove as they can get might be the safest spot for them now.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

MerchManDan wrote:
Lee M - Atsali found a vital clue after taking pot. Hey, somebody had to say it.

zachariah - You are right. It was obviously planted there to be found. They didn't leaf it alone either.

I would put forth a half-baked theory of my own, but I worry it would go up in smoke.
Don't worry. By the time it all comes down everyone will get stoned at a rock concert.

Drops two tickets to see Jefferson Airplane at Monterey in 1967 into the Jar. (The rarity of these alone will make up for a lot of my overdue tab)
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
as363

Post by as363 »

And the music goes round and round Oh oh oh Oh oh oh - and it comes out here.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Sooo...I'm kind of wondering if there's something about the vase that made Atsali pick it up without thinking. You know...kind of like how the One Ring affected its carriers. I am very likely off base about that, but goodness knows Kat has to be wondering when and why Atsali picked the darn thing up.

*wanders off to make a new cup of coffee and get comfy in Confusion Corner*
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Neveko

Post by Neveko »

The second spider looks like a brown recluse. So there's a pot/urn-thing with a black widow and a brown recluse. That doesn't sound foreboding at all. :(
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

Maybe she felt like holding something since she still has to hold her arm close to her body, maybe she - um ....... oh heck ..

*picks up his green tea and heads over to confusion corner*

Sigh!
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

sonicthunder wrote:Add me to the confused pile. Not over the alcove, but where did that vase come into the picture? Almost like Kat's thinking the same thing in Panel#3.
You Have:
. no tea
. an Anti-Bugblatter Beast Gun
. a cup of Advanced Tea Substitute
, a thing your aunt gave you which you don't know what it is
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
MrBill

Post by MrBill »

sonicthunder wrote:...but where did that vase come into the picture?
I think I am the cause of the confusion.

You see, I was playing the Colossal Cave Adventure, and it said:
KATH AND ATSALI ARE IN A MAZE OF TWISTY LITTLE ROOMS, ALL ALIKE.
THERE IS A VASE ON A PEDESTAL HERE.

I typed in:
>take vase
>rub vase
RUBBING THE ANASAZI VASE IS NOT PARTICULARLY REWARDING. ANYWAY, NOTHING EXCITING HAPPENS.

I think all Kath needs to do is to say something like "XYZZY", "PLUGH" or "PLOVER" to get out of the structure. Watch out for the pirate, though...
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

This keeps getting better and better. I still can't shake the feeling that as soon as they entered this place, it reminded me of the arcade version of Pitfall 2. :D

If you guys want a good laugh at my expense while you wait for Pablo's next update, I seem to have lost my mind and submitted some fan art to one of the other comics I read. He posted it today. :shock: I'm hoping Pablo doesn't mind if I post a link, so you guys can check it out, tell me what you think: http://gregor-comics.com/

Heading to bed, won't see any responses til I get to work tonight. Oh, this'll be good ... >.<
Dave

Post by Dave »

Julie wrote:Sooo...I'm kind of wondering if there's something about the vase that made Atsali pick it up without thinking. You know...kind of like how the One Ring affected its carriers. *wanders off to make a new cup of coffee and get comfy in Confusion Corner*
Julie, you are exactly correct in this. Atsali had no choice in the matter... it's apparent that she was being Compelled. She might not have even realized what she was doing.

"This is the One Vase of the Kachinas, thrown and fired by the great spider-trickster Iktomi in the great Potteries of Doom thousands of years ago. The power of the Kachinas was spun into its clay, and when it was lost it greatly diminished his trickery. It is trying to get back to its Master... but he must never get it!

"One Vase to show the dolls,
One Vase hath bound them.
One Vase the Readers see,
and Pablo doth confound them."

Frodo shivered, as a vision of the dark, ominous hand of Bulwer-Lytton reached for him from out of the East. "What a terrible rhyme! I wish it had not been discovered in my lifetime."

"So do I, and so do all of us who live in such times," replied Gandalf.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Spider-leg, Spider-leg.
Does whatever a Spider-leg can?
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

eee wrote:RE the alcove: How many dolls were there? I see five shelves, this might be where they were originally. And if the alcove was cut into solid stone, and the structure coming down might collapse the floor above them, as deep into the alcove as they can get might be the safest spot for them now.
Oooo, shelves, not stairs. That's an excellent thought and would explain why they seem to lead to nowhere and are so narrow.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Leak

Post by Leak »

jwhouk wrote:I think I know where Pablo is going with this... I've got this whole Rushmore/Crazy Horse thing going on in my brain, and I'm not talking music.
So you're thinking of the cabaret, then? *nudge nudge wink wink saynomore saynomore* ;)
sheik

Post by sheik »

KnightDelight wrote:
eee wrote:RE the alcove: How many dolls were there? I see five shelves, this might be where they were originally. And if the alcove was cut into solid stone, and the structure coming down might collapse the floor above them, as deep into the alcove as they can get might be the safest spot for them now.
Oooo, shelves, not stairs. That's an excellent thought and would explain why they seem to lead to nowhere and are so narrow.
The way I read it Kath has put one and one together.
First, the upper surface of the alcove is a parabolic arch, which should afford the greatest support with the least potential of a cave-in.
Second, the Black Widow motif (note the hourglass symbol on the back) could be interpreted as protection rather than attack.

Also, I believe Atsali has picked up a second pot. Note the width and condition of the neck. No poiting is necessary.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I'm actually thinking more along the lines of what Gutzon Borglum was doing with dynamite in the Badlands.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Dave wrote:
Julie wrote:Sooo...I'm kind of wondering if there's something about the vase that made Atsali pick it up without thinking. You know...kind of like how the One Ring affected its carriers. *wanders off to make a new cup of coffee and get comfy in Confusion Corner*
Julie, you are exactly correct in this. Atsali had no choice in the matter... it's apparent that she was being Compelled. She might not have even realized what she was doing.

"This is the One Vase of the Kachinas, thrown and fired by the great spider-trickster Iktomi in the great Potteries of Doom thousands of years ago. The power of the Kachinas was spun into its clay, and when it was lost it greatly diminished his trickery. It is trying to get back to its Master... but he must never get it!

"One Vase to show the dolls,
One Vase hath bound them.
One Vase the Readers see,
and Pablo doth confound them."

Frodo shivered, as a vision of the dark, ominous hand of Bulwer-Lytton reached for him from out of the East. "What a terrible rhyme! I wish it had not been discovered in my lifetime."

"So do I, and so do all of us who live in such times," replied Gandalf.
Dave, you are a strange puppy. Talented, but strange.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Ummm. Thinking about the "those aren't stairs. those are shelves" idea (and the sudden absence of "RUMBLE"s ... have they been herded here?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Post by Dave »

davids4250 wrote:Dave, you are a strange puppy. Talented, but strange.
Thank you! The talent seems to have landed in my lap from some odd corner of the Universe. The strangeness is a hobby that I practice as much as I can ;)