Feet First 2013-02-15

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Julie

Re: Feet First 2013-02-15

Post by Julie »

zachariah wrote:So when does Mommy turn to Wheee?
Well, I've been saying "Wheee" for a couple days now. :) And I'll definitely say it again with today's page...

WHEEEEEEE!!! :D
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
as363

Post by as363 »

And as I mentioned yesterday - still hearing "Tah ra ra BOOM deay"
Dave

Post by Dave »

Oh, dear.

It looks as if the cart in which our ladies were just launched upwards, went further and landed harder than we might have expected.

I guess you did use enough dynamite there, Butch... er, I mean Pablo.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Dave wrote:Oh, dear.

It looks as if the cart in which our ladies were just launched upwards, went further and landed harder than we might have expected.

I've been avoiding that very line to keep the punjar from falling on my head!!!!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

DilyV wrote:

I've been avoiding that very line to keep the punjar from falling on my head!!!!
As in a recent commercial?
Drops a large safe into the pun jar from a great height, just in case.
Dave

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:I've been avoiding that very line to keep the punjar from falling on my head!!!!
Been there, done that, got the scars :lol:

After the Great Flintlock Incident a year or so ago, I was ordered to donate my entire self to the Pun Jar, and then seal the lid on top afterwards. There were some disagreements as to whether I would be allowed air-holes. ;)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Speaking of Wile E. Coyote, my absolute favourite Wile E. Moment is near the end of the Looney Tunes Back in Action movie - which is a LOT better than its reviews and reputation would suggest, when, as a henchman of the villain, he is driving a speeding train that is supposed to run over Timothy Dalton tied to the tracks...

Instead, it scoops up a huge load of dynamite, TNT, etc., all with lit fuses.

He looks. He sighs. He leans on the cab window sill and holds up a little sign: "They don't pay me enough."
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

DilyV wrote:

Or the similar one from the original Italian Job: "You were just supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

zachariah wrote:Those formations look like Canyonlands National Park. That probably puts them in Utah part of the four corners. This was the first step. There have to be more with each one reducing their speed. The luck of the Gods, or Paul, is riding with them. So when does Mommy turn to Wheee?

They are truly on their own now. Out in the back country in street clothes and not prepared to the environment at all. If someone doesn't help them they will be dead of thirst in three days. So who is going to show up to help them?
To the (probably limited) extent that this represents anywhere in the real world, it's Arches National Park rather than Canyonlands. Compare this picture (which btw doesn't do justice to Double Arch, I have a better one hanging in our living room, it's an incredibly easy thing to take an utterly gorgeous photo of). Most likely the panels in the comic are just intended to give a Southwestern vibe without representing anywhere specific -- although Pablo does do his research.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

This being the Dreaded Friday Cliffhanger, I'd wager that this isn't even the merest inkling of a portion of a hint of a heads-up of the beginning of the actual "Adventure."
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Fairportfan wrote:Speaking of Wile E. Coyote, my absolute favourite Wile E. Moment is near the end of the Looney Tunes Back in Action movie - which is a LOT better than its reviews and reputation would suggest, when, as a henchman of the villain, he is driving a speeding train that is supposed to run over Timothy Dalton tied to the tracks...

Instead, it scoops up a huge load of dynamite, TNT, etc., all with lit fuses.

He looks. He sighs. He leans on the cab window sill and holds up a little sign: "They don't pay me enough."
My favorite Roadrunner cartoon is the one where the coyote has the flying dynamite sticks... too funny!!!

When I was in the army we got our hands on some hoffman cartridges... The hoffman device is a multi tubed launcher that straps onto the barrel of an M1 tank that fires a cartridge that creates the smoke to simulate a real round being fired for training. These things are equal to about a quarter stick of dynamite. The connectors are stackable... so when the XO got them, he asks how do we set these off? I pulled out the field phone, which pushes about three volts when you crank it. I figured, it's gotta work. He stacked and buried six of them and ran the wires back to the field phone. "FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!" *crankcrankcrank* BOOMF!!!!!! Ermagerd... Dirt flew like 50 feet in the air and when the dust settled, there was a crater in the ground about six feet in diameter and about three feet deep!!! God, I miss being in the Army!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I"m hoping for something like this...

But I'm completely tickled by the thought of Wiley's flying dynamite being attracted to cell phones...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

This is definetly a Wyle E. Coyote / Calvin and Hobbes / Rocky and Bullwinkle moment.
BTW, Didn't I hear that one of those archs had COLLAPSED and was discovered by Park Rangers about a year or so ago? ......Great, now I can't get that Rocky/Bullwinkle tune out of my head.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Graybeard wrote:
zachariah wrote:Those formations look like Canyonlands National Park. That probably puts them in Utah part of the four corners. This was the first step. There have to be more with each one reducing their speed. The luck of the Gods, or Paul, is riding with them. So when does Mommy turn to Wheee?

They are truly on their own now. Out in the back country in street clothes and not prepared to the environment at all. If someone doesn't help them they will be dead of thirst in three days. So who is going to show up to help them?
To the (probably limited) extent that this represents anywhere in the real world, it's Arches National Park rather than Canyonlands. Compare this picture (which btw doesn't do justice to Double Arch, I have a better one hanging in our living room, it's an incredibly easy thing to take an utterly gorgeous photo of). Most likely the panels in the comic are just intended to give a Southwestern vibe without representing anywhere specific -- although Pablo does do his research.
Close enough. There are similar formations in both parks. The Arches are just much better know. The point being they are in the Utah area most likely. As you head south you get into monument area instead of the arches formations. I just wonder why the tunnel exits where it did. Who was determined enough to dig it into the side of a mountain at that location. Just getting there would be a huge job and the logistics a nightmare. There is no sign of a road or trail leading to it either. Prospectors very, very seldom check out locations like that for tunnels.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

TheDOCTOR wrote:This is definetly a Wyle E. Coyote / Calvin and Hobbes / Rocky and Bullwinkle moment.
BTW, Didn't I hear that one of those archs had COLLAPSED and was discovered by Park Rangers about a year or so ago? ......Great, now I can't get that Rocky/Bullwinkle tune out of my head.
You're probably thinking of Wall Arch, formerly 12th largest in the park, which collapsed in 2008. This kind of thing happens at Arches all the time; about 40 known arches have collapsed since 1971, for roughly one a year, including one of my favorites there, delicate little Rabbit Trap Arch. Wall was notable only because it was so large. Landscape Arch, largest in the park and, by some reckonings (measurement methods are controversial), the world, is getting rickety enough that it could go any time -- large pieces have fallen off it in the last few years. They're being created by erosion at about the same rate, with one starting to appear recently that's nearly as long as Landscape. Arches are very transient things.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Consider the Old Man of the Mountain.

(Before-and-after composite photo):

=====================
=====================
mike weber
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Graybeard wrote: To the (probably limited) extent that this represents anywhere in the real world, it's Arches National Park rather than Canyonlands. Compare this picture (which btw doesn't do justice to Double Arch, I have a better one hanging in our living room, it's an incredibly easy thing to take an utterly gorgeous photo of). Most likely the panels in the comic are just intended to give a Southwestern vibe without representing anywhere specific -- although Pablo does do his research.
I was thinking Arches too. Remember, Astili did not say the Library exit took the to Mesa Verde, just that it was the closest exit.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
sheik

Post by sheik »

zachariah wrote: I just wonder why the tunnel exits where it did. Who was determined enough to dig it into the side of a mountain at that location. Just getting there would be a huge job and the logistics a nightmare. There is no sign of a road or trail leading to it either. Prospectors very, very seldom check out locations like that for tunnels.
The only justification for the tunnel and how it ends is that it was dug for ventilation, and the spoil was dumped somewhere much further downhill.
This could be justified if the mine was particularly deep and/or noxious, with the tunnel acting as a chimney and connected to an overhead duct that runs to the mine face.
At first I thought there couldn't be a justification for such an operation until I remembered my uncle Chad admitted to being part of a high-grading gang on federal land in that part of the country during the Depression.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

davids4250 wrote: I was thinking Arches too. Remember, Astili did not say the Library exit took the to Mesa Verde, just that it was the closest exit.
There's no doubt that the first two panels are showing scenery in Arches; you can just about overlay the Wikimedia shot of Double Arch on them, including the background, and double arches aren't that common. However, I suspect the scenery was just intended to convey Southwestern landscape, rather than anywhere specific. We'll find out soon enough.

Incidentally, if this spot really was Arches, getting shot out of that pillar behind Double Arch wouldn't land them on a nice ski-jump mesa to get launched on to the presumably more important landing spot. It would simply deposit them in the middle of a parking lot, surrounded by very surprised tourists.
Lee M

Post by Lee M »

You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!
The paper maker is the basest of all creatures. He deprives the beggar of his rags to make white sheets for editors to lie on.
--early 20th century school essay, from Fresh Howlers, ed. H. Cecil Hunt (UK, 1930)