See A Light 2013-02-14

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

See A Light 2013-02-14

Post by Dave »

And, with luck, it will not be the headlight of an oncoming freight train...
Yamara

Re: See A Light 2013-02-14

Post by Yamara »

I wonder if sirens remember their births.

As in, are they conscious while still in the egg?
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

No! Don't go towards the light! Oh, wait... actually yes, go towards the light this time. :roll:

Odd note, I can see the new page fine from my phone but on the computer I still get yesterday's page even using the force refresh command.
Fake edit: just tried again and it finally updated.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Dave wrote:And, with luck, it will not be the headlight of an oncoming freight train...
Without luck it will be New Jersey.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

T minus 3...2...1. We have lift off. Testing the new orbital catapult inspired by Jules Verne.

Please fasten seat belts. Return the passengers to an upright position. It will be a one point landing.

This cannot be a trap. The location of the explosives, the cart positioned for the fast exit. It was meant to destroy the tunnel and let the person who lit the fuse a fast way out. This fuse burned quickly due to how fast it made it to the crates further down the tunnel. So fast means of exit was needed, hence the cart. Girls I hope you're wearing good walking shoes. It's a long way to the next portal unless Asti has a lot longer flight endurance than she looks like.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
sheik

Post by sheik »

zachariah wrote:T minus 3...2...1. We have lift off. Testing the new orbital catapult inspired by Jules Verne.
I was thinking it better resembled the Nazi V-3 cannon, at least in principle.
The funny thing is, the cart might actually be going UP hill and it will land in a great big pile of rock chips.
Or at least our favorite Siren can act as Kat's parachute.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Kath should get down lower if she doesn't want the top of her head sheared off.

It would be fun for mom to suddenly appear in the cart due to an ability of sirens to poit-home in on their child's distress cry. At least she could then use the famous line "Where are we going and why are we in this basket?"
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

zachariah wrote:This cannot be a trap. The location of the explosives, the cart positioned for the fast exit. It was meant to destroy the tunnel and let the person who lit the fuse a fast way out. This fuse burned quickly due to how fast it made it to the crates further down the tunnel. So fast means of exit was needed, hence the cart.
Its a trap.
  • You don't initiate a fuse deep in the mine to detonate explosive between you and the entrance. You set up the fuse so it starts outside the entrance and burns in to the explosives.
  • Mine cars are not rollercoasters, there is nothing holding them down on the tracks. Top safe speed is about a jog. At the speed they are going, which the hypothetical demolitions person would also have to achieve to get to minimum safe distance, they have burned through their next 2 lifetimes worth of luck already.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

My2Cents wrote:You don't initiate a fuse deep in the mine to detonate explosive between you and the entrance. You set up the fuse so it starts outside the entrance and burns in to the explosives.
We didn't see where the fuse was at the start, it very well could have led outside. I'm pretty sure burning oil on the ground would be able to light a fuse at any point, it doesn't have to ignite at the tip.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

:D :lol:
I am having a ball here.
Great that Paul thought it opportune to inject some light-hearted (though loud) slapstick, after all the blood,anxt&gore (I like blood&gore, but there's only só much anxt I can stand)

Tina & Atsali. As destructive as bugs and daffy.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Bud_Fanboi

Post by Bud_Fanboi »

Reluctantly crouched in a darkened mine,
Hearts pumping and thumping in time.
the TNT flashes, the flames go up.
churning and burning, they yearn for the cusp.
they deftly maneuver and muscle for rank,
Luck burning fast on an empty tank.
reckless and wild, they pour through the turns.
their prowess is potent and secretly stern.
as they speed to the finish, the lights go down.
the adventurer and siren they get out of town.

With apologies to Cake for the butchering of the song lol.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I do love the fact that, in movies and comics, no matter how many explosions go off in your immediate vicinity, you can still hear each other talk in not-terribly-loud voices.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
illiad

Post by illiad »

Fairportfan wrote:I do love the fact that, in movies and comics, no matter how many explosions go off in your immediate vicinity, you can still hear each other talk in not-terribly-loud voices.
I'm sure you have heard of cartoon physics... :)

But seriously, I have some friends that will have a full conversation, while standing in front of a pub band at full volume.. :roll: and I can barely hear what they are saying, much less why they seem to be ignoring the band they came to see!!!! :o :/
as363

Post by as363 »

The song line "Taa Raah Raah BOOM de ay" does come to mind while reading this !
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Ok -- since no one else has said it....

Wow! Looks like the girls are having a blast!

I feel used...
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

"The explosions are catching up to us"? This sounds like one of those controlled demolitions you see nowadays where they bring down a building in one spot. At any rate it looks like they are in for one really bumpy landing! It almost looks like something the mythbusters would put together to find out if the cart goes any faster with the explosions bearing down on them.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
Julie

Post by Julie »

Again....WHEEEEEE! :P

Also, I feel like Kat may have shorter hair when they get out of here...or she's more flame-retardant than most people. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

......and PHIX appears and asks, "What is it, Little One?" :lol: Nah, too obvious. ;)
Dave

Post by Dave »

RunningBull wrote:"The explosions are catching up to us"? This sounds like one of those controlled demolitions you see nowadays where they bring down a building in one spot. At any rate it looks like they are in for one really bumpy landing!
Based on what was shown yesterday, it appears that the crates of exploding dynamite were connected together with some form of burning fuse (probably not a high-velocity detonation cord). So, it would take some seconds for the flame-front to travel along the fuse and trigger each batch of dynamite. Seems to be moving faster than the cart, apparently... a fast fuse but maybe not a "quickmatch" type.

As to the bumpy landing: if Atsali manages to pull her wits together quickly enough after the cart flies out of the end of the tunnel, she might be able to enwing and pull Katherine up safely into the air before the card goes kersmash into something solid.

Depending on just where the tunnel comes out into the open, tomorrow's strip could be a literal Friday cliffhanger!
sheik

Post by sheik »

Fairportfan wrote:I do love the fact that, in movies and comics, no matter how many explosions go off in your immediate vicinity, you can still hear each other talk in not-terribly-loud voices.
Yeah, in RL both of them should be stone deaf and bleeding from the ears long (seconds?) ago.